What do you already have for baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2010, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have absolutely NOTHING! I know I'm still shy of 4 months, but there is so much going on in our household from April - August that I'm really getting stressed out about not having anything yet. I need typical baby stuff + a whole bunch of things for the house, since I'm trying to fix it up before the birth...and all of this on a very limited budget.

The lady in the apartment upstairs from me has the same due date I do...and yesterday the UPS guy had to leave her shipment with me since she wasn't home (I'm the manager). She got a rocking chair, a bassinet, and a carseat. When she came to pick them up she said she has pretty much everything she needs now! I was floored! It got me thinking.....

How prepared are YOU?

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 03:31 PM

I bought a baby carrier for DF yesterday... so that I can get myself girly ones and ones fit to me... I bought one he can fit to himself that is a neutral color without any design on it.

Otherwise, that's it for now. We have NOTHING... will probably start to get things at 30 weeks when I move. We don't really want to get things and have to move them halfway across country when we can just get things there.

Remember, all you NEED is food to keep you making milk and a blanket to keep baby warm. Everything outside of that is luxuries.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:00 PM

We have most of the big stuff b/c ds2 is just now 12 months old: the bucket car seat, swing, bouncer, co-sleeper, crib. We'll need to supplement the clothing if we have another boy b/c we've never had a fall/winter baby before (they were both spring babies) and we'll need to buy a lot of new clothes if its a girl since we've never had a girl before. But the big stuff is taken care of.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:07 PM

Ha! I have nothing.. zip, zero, zilch, nada. Reya's 11, and we have NONE of her baby stuff so we'll be starting from scratch. A friend of mine has offered to throw me a shower in July, so I'm holding out til then before I do anything. I know she's got a car seat, and probably a pack n play that she's willing to pass on so I'm pretty excited about that.

DH and I are going to build a changing table with our 4 little hands, I'm super excited about that project and if it goes well he promised me we could try and make a cradle. (I'm not sure how that one is going to work out for us :P)

My SIL and Sister both have a boy and girl each so I've put them on alert to save baby clothes! And a friend of mine just had a baby boy, she's sending me her newborn diapers when she's done with them! (I have super friends.. it's a shame I live far far away from them all!)

So the short answer is nothing, and I'm waiting as long as possible before buying anything!

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

Old 03-25-2010, 04:20 PM

I have everything from previous babies, but always buy a new going home outfit. I'll also need one package of 1-2 diapers from Costco.

I can tell you that you really don't need all the stuff you think you need... especially if you're nursing. A carseat, a few onesies, some diapers, a few blankets... that's it. Add in a bouncy chair or a swing... and you're set. A sling is nice to have. I recommend Sleeping Baby Productions--as she does really nice, affordable ones. Co-sleeping is sooo much easier especially if you're nursing. I know quite a few friends who still have cribs in the garage, never put together, because they figured out that cosleeping worked a lot better. If money is tight, and you want a crib, a pack-n-play or portable crib makes a lot more sense than a full sized crib.

Never used a changing table...but had a changing pad on the bed. Of course, a towel works just as well.

Was given a diaper genie, but found it to be totally annoying and unnecessary.... so gave it away.

A high-chair isn't really necessary until 4-6 months or so... and you can feed them in a swing or bouncy chair if space is an issue.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 03-25-2010, 05:25 PM

We have 2 daughters under 3, so if this LO is a girl we have clothes totally covered, lol. I have 2 mei-tais that I adore, though I might make one more before this one gets here and we are set on cloth diapers. I have a lot of sewing projects for this baby that are really only on hold until we know the gender...we cosleep so we don't need anything for that, and we have a crib for when the baby is ready to transition, we have a wooden highchair that we really like and has been used for both girlies, so we are set there...we did get new carseats- 2 Sunshine 65SL Radians and a Cocorro so that we can get three across in our Hyundai. Other than that the only things we plan on getting for the new baby are homemade crafty things

Unless it's a boy, then we need clothes up the whazoo, lol

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

Old 03-25-2010, 05:26 PM

I kept a bunch of stuff that was DD's: cosleeper, crib, lots of clothes, some cloth diapers, a few baby toys, a bouncer seat, an exersaucer, two carriers, a gate, books, stroller, high chair, blankets, a glider, etc. We have an extra Marathon and an extra Boulevard, but I wonder how well they'll work for the newborn stage.

I'll still need more clothes (some didn't survive!), a better type of baby bath that can go inside the tub, maybe one more carrier (I just have a mei tai and a water sling), pacifiers, new mattress for cosleeper...that's probably about it. Maybe a swing.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 03-25-2010, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post

I can tell you that you really don't need all the stuff you think you need... especially if you're nursing. A carseat, a few onesies, some diapers, a few blankets... that's it. Add in a bouncy chair or a swing... and you're set. A sling is nice to have. Never used a changing table...but had a changing pad on the bed. Of course, a towel works just as well.

Was given a diaper genie, but found it to be totally annoying and unnecessary.... so gave it away.

A high-chair isn't really necessary until 4-6 months or so... and you can feed them in a swing or bouncy chair if space is an issue.
I agree with this. I feel pretty set at this point. We have the infant carseat from DD and our bed . I am actually having a hard time getting a list together for the SMALL baby blessing my mom is having for me.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

It's funny because I don't feel like I need any of the gimmicky stuff I felt like I absolutely had to have with DS. All I really want are a few onesies and gowns, a wrap, a carseat, and diapers. I plan on CDing for the first time, so the diapers are probably the biggest thing right now. Oh and a rocking chair.

If I really think about it, I guess I'm more stressed about all the things I want to get/do for the house before I have the baby. I guess I just feel really unsettled.

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
Old 03-25-2010, 08:04 PM

I'm knitting newborn wool as we speak (or type ha)! We have a few newborn dipes, and a lot of prefolds, a few hand-me-down clothing pieces, and plenty of wraps/carriers! All the important things We're borrowing an infant carseat from a friend until DH's grandmother buys the convertible. Literally we are really good to go. I'm going to ask family and best friends to buy gender-appropriate clothing right after the baby arrives, so I'm really not worried--so much different than child#1!

DD Emma, 3 yrs and #2 Sept 10
Old 03-25-2010, 09:33 PM

I've got the bins of clothes from my two, boy and girl, so we're set there. I kept most my diapers, but need some covers. I've got a co-sleeper, moby wrap, and pack & play (with changing table insert, we use it that way). I need to get the car seat (which I'm excited about, I'm a car seat tech ), another dresser, a few summer weight newborn things (my two were winter babes), a bouncy chair (ours broke), a high chair (again, broke), and maybe a swing (didn't like, sold it). Maybe a crib, portable crib or bassinet for use downstairs and/or a changing table, then we can use the pack and play as a bassinet. Our parents each want to get us something, so they'll probably each get one item off the list. The rest I hope to score at mom to mom sales and garage sales, except the car seat and crib, which are my two must-get-new things.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:42 PM

I really feel like I don't need anything, Both because I have a lot and because I'm just not interested In baby stuff this time... eventually I'll need a crib mattress and probably some 3-6 mo Winter clothes unless this baby is huge, my ds was in12 mo by 4 months so if that hhappens by 3 months we may not need smaller clothes so I am waiting to buy any.. I am going to borrow a swing again, I have diapers from ds, I can't even come up with anything I need to make for this baby because I went on a crafting spree when I was pg with ds and even if it's a girl I know I can still use the same diapers/blankets/burp cloths etc ..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
Old 03-26-2010, 04:49 AM

I have everything that I need for a baby. But no birth supplies at all yet.

But I shop clearance so I grab when I can (e.g. grabbed a bucket seat for $12.xx).

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 AM

We've got the carseat, stroller, cloth diapers, and a few other incidental items. Basically everything else is going to have to wait until summer break when I can devote more time to shopping! I'm busy enough right now and I'm not going to worry about baby items until I'm done teaching for the year!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 AM

I haven't bought a thing except for three xs fitted diapers.

But, from the last baby, we still have most of the diapers and covers, a WHOLE LOT of clothes (I sorted out last weekend the "girl clothes" and the "girl or boy clothes"), and some of the assorted junk... a swing, a boppy, medical kit. Really the only thing I still need to get is: -finish off diaper stash, -carseat, -another changing area set-up, -a few more clothes if it's a boy. Oh, and a new ring sling.

My cousin (another one, not the one who just had a baby) brought up yesterday "Well, you'll have a baby shower" and my mom was in the van so I asked her "Do I even get a shower for a second baby?" She said, "Sure, if someone wants to throw you one" and my cousin volunteered. So since I won't need any big items, I'll probably just have a small shower so that the baby can get a few things of his/her very own-- a couple little stuffed animals, a fuzzy blanket, you know that kind of thing.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Old 03-26-2010, 01:49 PM

yeah around here its normal to have a shower for more than just your first baby... my mom had 5 kids and had a shower for each of us. I only had one with DS but did get gifts at a few family gatherings for DD. Unsure if anyone will be giving me one for this baby still. would help!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:50 PM

Well, this is my first, so whatever I'm going to get I need to get.

The only thing I've actually started buying is cloth diapers. (Probably just because I love them!) I did decide when I want my showers and that just took a lot of stress off me.... "ok now I don't need to worry about making a list/registering until...".

Like a PP, the things I'm thinking about all the time now are all the projects around the house -- and I decided I want them all done my the end of June if possible, then I can focus on preparing for baby . We have a very long list of house projects so DH got a sort of scared look on his face when I told him end of June

Mama to Penelope!! born 9/19/10. Missing Elliott 10/10/09. And expecting expecting again Oct '14!
Old 03-26-2010, 04:28 PM

Haven't bought a thing. Not even looking yet.

It's a little weird, I guess, because by this time in ds' pregnancy (or WAY earlier in dd's adoption) I was big-time into planning and prepping. With this one...I dunno...I know all we really need is some winter clothing and a dresser (plus ALL the moving/repacking/unpacking of old baby stuff). It's just not as exciting.

I think I'll wait until the third trimester. No point in cluttering up the house until we really have to. With three kids at home, clutter is soooo unappealing.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 03-26-2010, 06:09 PM

I dont know if it is this thread or going to Babies R Us with DF this weekend but Ive spent today setting up my wishlist.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:18 PM

DDC to tell you ladies that I'm due in June and I don't have much yet. We have a bassinet, infant seat, bumbo seat, food grinder, a curb-find diaper pail and a cute going home outfit. Add a few diapers and wipes to the list, along with some mom care items, and that's it. I don't see the point of shopping before the shower.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 PM

Wow--just shy of 4 months and has everything? Good Lord!

Here is what I have, mostly thanks to my sister who used to own an online baby store and her leftover inventory!

28 Rumpsters all-in-one diapers (various colors)--S,M,L
2 dozen Indian pre-folds
1 swim diaper cover
2-4 nylon (?) diaper covers
Rainbow Maya Wrap
another sling--very dressy, I don't know the name
a nylon diaper pail liner
2 summery onesies (gender neutral)
2 blue and orange fishy sleepsuits
Trumpette baby socks that look like sneakers (I bought! too cute to resist!)
1 duck and 1 monkey sleepsuits for newborns
1 monkey receiving blanket
1 book: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus

I got ALL that stuff in one week! Phew! And I have no place to put it yet. I have set up my wishlist on Amazon though that I add to whenever I get a chance. Some of it is kind of a to-do list for me more than a registry.

I am having THREE showers! My mom is hosting a big lunch for both sides of the family in July. My Austin friends are having a pampering/massage get-together in June. And my local friends in Nacogdoches are hosting a joint shower for me and my very good friend also due in September, in August! I feel so lucky and excited!

If anyone wants to share their online registries/wish lists, I want to see them! Here is mine:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/r...edirect=create

I am not sure if this link will work, but if you're at Amazon, you can search for Mary and Matt Turner. Of course you know what month I am due!

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Ooo good idea! I wouldn't mind browsing other peoples registries lol

Mine is on Amazon.com as well, but I can't figure out how to get a working link for it. Hrm.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:55 PM

http://myregistry.com/visitors/giftl...0-7a66a7822085

heres mine... most of its not what we will actually be looking for... its just up there for now to remind me of the type that DF wants (we arent giving out a link to this until further along) so I saved a lot of it to remind us for when we actually start shopping (but oh if someone were to happen upon it before then and buy us something I wouldnt be heartbroken lol... after all our last names not exactly Smith...)

Old 03-26-2010, 09:43 PM

I can't even wrap my mind around making a registry yet.

Really I'm hesitant to buy a bunch of stuff we need, because we're moving out of this one bedroom apartment and into a 2 or 3 bedroom house in... mid July. That's going to be fun.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Old 03-26-2010, 10:27 PM

Yeah, we're moving, too. In July. Maybe August. That will be exciting.

So, I am super organizing our house now. It is getting there. "There" is to the point where everything I don't need on a daily basis is packed, and every possible thing is organized and paired down to make putting away a breeze when we get there. I'm starting to feel good about where we are in the prep work, but I still have SO much to do.

As far as what we need...I have 3 dc, and the oldest is just 5, so I'm set for clothes and diapers. I may sew a few fitteds out of old t-shirts and towels, but I'm not stressed about that. The only catch is that all of my dc were born in the Spring, so the clothes are going to be 6 months off. If it's a boy, I'm still okay because a good friend is passing her enormous stash of boy things to me as her baby grows out of them (and he was born in last September! Perfect!) I'm not sure how we'll fare if it's a girl. I have quite a few gowns and sleepers, and if she were to grow at all like the last 3, I'll be able to put her in stuff up to 12 months by the time she's 6 weeks old or so. So, I think I can wiggle through that. Maybe I'll pick up a few cute outfits for "just the baby" after it comes. I usually do.

Blankets, carriers, etc...set.

But, we need a new carseat. Our bucket expires in December, and that's too close for me. Oh, and a new vehicle. We spent several hours one day trying to get 4 carseats, 2 RF in our Durango, and it can't be done. So...we buy a van. .

But, at least that's dh's problem.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 03-26-2010, 10:32 PM

Man, make me feel like a slacker

I haven't even started to THINK about packing.

And yeah, we already got the van. I love it.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 PM

Lol. Well...I've got 3 lo running around and I don't get much done in any given day. I'm going to be *really* sorry if I wait to start this enormous project. Some days I don't get anything done and actually move backward, so...

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 03-26-2010, 10:52 PM

We have most of DD's stuff (she'll be 2.10 when the new one is due) but there are a few other things I want:

NB/SM fitted diapers and wool covers... probably some bigger ones, too.
More boyish clothes, if it's a boy.
One of those baby hammocks like they have in New Zealand. However, we don't need that.
A better stroller -- possibly a Phil&Ted for the doubling option.
A new Ergo -- our old one is threadbare.

On the larger scale, we need:
To move into our own house. I'm feeling a bit squashed all in one bedroom at my parents' place.
A reliable car.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:41 AM

This is our first so we need everything. I have to condense 2 rooms into one to make room for the baby. I still need to get rid of some stuff to make room.
I found these things pretty cheap from someone who was getting rid of baby stuff: A crib, swing, bouncy seat, jumparoo, and crib bedding.
We won't use the crib until he/she grows out of the mini cosleeper I'm going to buy. I just know there isn't enough room for anything other than a mini cosleeper and certainly not enough room in our bed for a larger child. The baby will have to use a crib when "it" gets bigger.

Married to a wonderful man and we have 1 adorable baby girl (8/30/2010) and 2 furbabies.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:14 AM

I'm working a temp job right now and all the checks are going to help prepare for the baby, so I have bought a few things. We're going off of what we'll "need" more than want, I have a carseat (since I'll be giving birth in a hospital and need to get the baby home), an arm's reach cosleeper (since I feel more comfortable having one, I did with my last baby too), and a few neutral newborn outfits (bought from a friend who was moving). I'm sure I have a few more things here and there, but not a whole lot. I plan to save up the last checks and hit yardsales to get the rest of the stuff

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)

User Tag List