Yummy Sushi! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2010, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just stumbled up on this http://www.cfp.ca/cgi/content/abstract/56/4/341
It is not necessary for me to avoid sushi?!! Yay! love sushi! It seems there is so much conflicting advice. This was posted on FB by Kelley Mom and I am taking it to heart.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 03:55 AM

Yay! I really have been missing sushi too! I keep eating the fully cooked stuff from Trader Joes, but I haven't been to a sushi restaurant this whole pregnancy!

Jessica
Mommy to Oliver (06/06) and Pearl (09/10)
Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I started eating sushi while pg with #2. I figured all those Japanese women couldn't be wrong!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 04-17-2010, 10:37 AM

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

Old 04-17-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
I started eating sushi while pg with #2. I figured all those Japanese women couldn't be wrong!
I have to admit that I have not totally avoided sushi either, but now I can do so with a clear conscious.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
Old 04-17-2010, 12:04 PM

well... i wouldn't say go crazy and eat as much as you want either... if you are eating sushi with oceanfish in it you do still have to make sure to avoid eating it too much for the mercury. but other than that, I wouldn't avoid it if I ate it myself.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:32 PM

I've been craving sushi this pregnancy and love it.

I have a deeply personal relationship with my sushi chef, lol, and we've been patrons of his restaurant for years now. I even know which booth of the St Lawrence Market that he buys his fresh fish from. LOL! I try to stick to wild salmon and a few others. I stay away from the tuna though, cause I'm more comfortable with that, although I do lurve tuna!

I had a convo with the chef's wife last time we were there (last week) and she's amazed by the North American phenomenon of avoiding sushi. She says that if women in Japan stopped eating fish like American women then they wouldn't eat. Hahaha!

Be discerning, be informed, and enjoy your food!

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
All of my doubts were gone when I read that statistically, if you remove raw shellfish from the equation, you have a 4x higher chance of getting food poisoning from chicken than from any sea food including raw fish. Chicken is so much grosser and more dangerous :-p I eat sushi all the time. In fact, I had it for dinner.

Another good thing about sushi is that you eat proportionally smaller amounts of fish than you would a meal of cooked fish. I stick to the good stuff (not hard where I live) but I dont freak out if a piece of higher mercury fish crosses my path.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:33 AM

Yummm....thats the one thing I crave more than anything..I dont miss alchohol but no sushi is torture!! Thanks for posting this, its really reasurring. Plus I think without the rist, sushi is so much healthier than most other stuff pregnant women eat.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:14 PM

Phew! Now I can stop obsessing about whether the goatcheese on the goatcheese and spinach pizza I had from Target was pasteurized! And honestly, I've been eating frozen yogurt and the occasional Costco hot dog. I really feel I'm more likely to be hurt in a car accident than by eating frozen yogurt.

So much of our food is contaminated in general. But you have to eat right? God I miss sushi. When I lived in San Francisco I ate it at least once a week.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
Old 04-18-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudentmommy View Post
I really feel I'm more likely to be hurt in a car accident than by eating frozen yogurt.
DDC to say you feel that way because you *are* more likely to be hurt in a car accident than from eating frozen yogurt. (Pulling this from memory so I could be off: There are something like 700 cases of listeria a year in pregnant women--and I'm willing to bet no more than a handful of those are even traceable to a cause at all, let alone to frozen yogurt), and 3,500 hospitalizations of pregnant women due to car crashes. Still not a huge number out of millions of births either way.)

Yet my doctor never asked me whether I wear a seat belt (until I actually got into a car accident--baby and I were both fine--and called her) or if I could reduce my time in the car. (She also hasn't pushed dietary restrictions too bad--"use common sense" were her instructions.)

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
Old 04-19-2010, 02:03 PM

You have to actively search long and hard to find unpasteurized cheese in the U.S. It really irritates me that baby books repeat this crap b/c no one could randomly eat it without knowing it and yet so many women obsess about it.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:25 PM

I'm so craving sushi! But I have no idea where i could actually find fresh stuff here in the midwest

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 04-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
You have to actively search long and hard to find unpasteurized cheese in the U.S. It really irritates me that baby books repeat this crap b/c no one could randomly eat it without knowing it and yet so many women obsess about it.
When Im big and pregnant I want to go out and buy soft cheeses and various other things I shouldn't have, just to see the cashiers reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post
I'm so craving sushi! But I have no idea where i could actually find fresh stuff here in the midwest
where in the midwest? Where I live I know a few places I could go but I would have to drive about an hour and half into the city (not Chicago but rather Rockford, IL) and seeing as Ive never eaten sushi before I do not think pregnancy is the best time to start. Nothing against sushi but I have this problem where if something makes me sick I can NEVER eat it again... and Id rather the risk of that be much smaller than it is during pregnancy. I STILL have a good amount of morning sickness

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Ohio. I don't live in a major metropolis, either, and no one else in my family eats it. So I'd love to be able to find it here in town. I just don't think I would be able to

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 04-19-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post

Most/all sushi fish is flash-frozen on the boat they catch it on and kept frozen until the restaurant. So you don't have to be be a coast or major port anymore to get decent stuff.

Where in Ohio are you? I am sure the 3 Cs would have plenty of sushi restaurants. I know my parents went to a wedding in Cincy and they had a whole sushi table at the reception.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:33 PM

About an hour north of Cincy. And that is interesting to note about the fish!

I know where I could get some yummy stuff in the 'Burgh...oh, how I miss it ;-)

Old 04-19-2010, 06:19 PM

We just overdid it on sushi last night, so no craving, but if I did, I'd drive an hour!

Best sushi in Pgh is Kiku, hands down. We go every year for my birthday and it is head and shoulders above all the rest.

User Tag List