Can anyone recommend a cod liver oil CAPSULE? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-17-2010, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, again it comes up that based on my food diary that I am not getting enough Vitamin A (different MW same advice, last pregnancy). I think I am going to try cod liver oil again for all its health benefits, but I want to try a capsule because I was never really able to get it down before.
Anyone taking one that they like? Thanks in advance.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I was fine with the GNC version. You are still gonna burp it later, but all their products are high quality (and it would support a local business!)

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#3 of 11 Old 04-17-2010, 04:32 PM
kl5

I take the Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil capsules and really like them. Incredibly high quality. They are more expensive than the liquid, but worth it in my opinion. I take four a day plus salmon oil.
#4 of 11 Old 04-17-2010, 06:39 PM

What ever you chose, don't put the capsule in your back pocket thinking, I'll take in a few minutes and then forget about it only to have it burst and turn your one pair of comfortable maternity jeans which you'd paid more for than you ever wanted to be ruined and smell like fish oil FOREVER. Don't ask me how I know.

Liv, mama to three girls (September 2005, June 2007 and September 2010)
#5 of 11 Old 04-17-2010, 11:07 PM
kl5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54mama View Post
Don't ask me how I know.
Hee hee.

(I have a similar story about putting a primal defense tablet you know where to battle a yeast infection and remembering too late that it has "soil organisms" and that soil organisms are really, well, soil, but that's a whole other thread... )
#6 of 11 Old 04-17-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl5 View Post
I take the Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil capsules and really like them. Incredibly high quality. They are more expensive than the liquid, but worth it in my opinion. I take four a day plus salmon oil.
I take their Fermented Cod Liver Oil/ Butter Oil blend capsules on the days when I am too lazy to take the actual fermented CLO and butter oil. This company has a great reputation, IMO.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#7 of 11 Old 04-18-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl5 View Post
How many capsules do you take per day? I just found this resource http://www.westonaprice.org/Cod-Live...endations.html
but the recommendation for pregnant women is 20 capsules a day!!!

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#8 of 11 Old 04-18-2010, 11:55 AM
kl5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherRN View Post
How many capsules do you take per day? I just found this resource http://www.westonaprice.org/Cod-Live...endations.html
but the recommendation for pregnant women is 20 capsules a day!!!
Yeah, well... I take four a day plus 2 Carlson's Norwegian Salmon Oil capsules for the EPA. I also take 4000 iu a day of vitamin D (also Carlson's), so I feel comfortable with that. I know I should get more liver or other vitamin A source, but that is harder for me. We do have free range chickens in the backyard, so I know my eggs are a decent source... I have a bunch of grass fed beef liver in the freezer and have been meaning to cut them up into "pills," but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe this will be my motivation!

(And on fishy burps, I do not get any ever, even though I have been having heartburn with this pregnancy. I always take all my supplements with food though, so that could help if anyone is having problems.)
#9 of 11 Old 04-18-2010, 05:36 PM

I really like this thread. I always took cod liver oil but got a bit freaked out about vitamin A due to the studies that attributed it to birth defects. I still take it 2-3 times a week but curious if any of you took it regularly no problem throughout previous pregnancies.

Thanks!
Genevieve
#10 of 11 Old 04-18-2010, 07:19 PM

I take fish oil, but re: the fishy burps....mine went away when I started taking my capsules just before bed. I've been taking mine daily for years, and it's been several years since the last fishy burp.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#11 of 11 Old 04-18-2010, 07:50 PM
kl5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelove View Post
I always took cod liver oil but got a bit freaked out about vitamin A due to the studies that attributed it to birth defects.
Here is more information than you ever thought you wanted to read about vitamin A. The point it makes (down near the end) is that the studies showing vitamin A overdoses and fetal risks did not distinguish between synthetic or carotene sources and true vitamin A from animal sources such as cod liver oil (which actually protect against birth defects).

As long as I am getting adequate vitamin D, I am not at all worried about getting too much vitamin A (in fact, the opposite, I am concerned with not getting enough). But it is a decision everyone has to make for herself!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page