Heart Palpitations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-23-2010, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else experienced heart palpitations while pregnant? Either this pregnancy or a previous?

I've never really had them before, but started getting them occasionally about 2 weeks ago...at first I just attributed it to the stress of DH traveling overseas for work. But then last night, I was having terrible palpitations while trying to fall asleep...and then woke up in the middle of the night with my heart beating so hard that it freaked me out.

So, I went to my OB today, and now I have an appt. with a cardiologist scheduled for Tuesday.

I'm going to try to stay positive and think that everything is ok, but I'm a little freaked out right now (which, ironically, probably isn't helping with the palpitations!). Oy vey.

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 PM

Do you by chance have low blood pressure?

I was dealing with the same with DD and it turned out I had low blood pressure and had cut way too much sodium out of my diet for the pregnancy (cutting sodiums only good for ladies whos blood pressure goes high, when its low you need that sodium)

Having some fries with salt on them now and then seemed to cure it.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, no low blood pressure. It had been spot-on "normal" (120/80) in all of my past appts., but at my past two appts. (Wed. and today) it has been a bit off (but nothing the OB was worried about).

So, unfortunately, I don't think that salty french fries would help...although it would be a great excuse to have to go get some french fries!

Thanks for your suggestion, though!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 PM

Yes, I have had this occasionally in both pregnancies. My last midwife recommended hawthorne berry tincture, but it never was that bad last time. This time I talked to my midwife about it once, as it's seemed like my pulse rate gets high sometimes. She said it's normal during pregnancy, especially in the 2nd trimester and didn't seem too worried. I'm not talking about palpitations that wake me up at night or anything like that though. So maybe there's more of a concern because of how it's affecting your daily life????

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:48 PM

I have and recently learned it could be from anemia, which I had severely. I have not noticed any at all since starting Yellow Dock.
Hope you find out what's going on, thoughts w you!

Likes a little crunch with occasional sogginess~Misty,Mama to L1, L2, L3, L4,L5 and Loving J!
Old 04-23-2010, 08:02 PM

I had them during my 5th pregnancy - I did a 24 hour holter monitor and no abnormalities were noted and nothing ever really came of them. Never did figure out a cause as everything checked out normal. I did have anemia during that pregnancy that I was on iron supplements pretty heavily to try to get rid of - but it didn't resolve until after delivery. I've not had them before or since - thank goodness, because I didnt' like them!

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
Old 04-23-2010, 08:19 PM

I'm having them right now!

For me, it's exhaustion. With my last pg, my resting pulse would go over 130 sometimes. My midwife said that it can be normal.

When I am over-tired, which happens easier in pg, obviously, any little thing I do can set them off. Like...drinking 8oz of water at once. Or, getting the slightest bit too warm (like in the shower).

I also randomly have had them (it's a family thing) since high school, and when I do, I can be fair certain I'm not getting enough B vitamins, and it's been a while since I've seen any red meat (the iron theory).

I've also heard that low magnesium (a common pg issue) can cause them, as can dehydration.

They can be pretty disconcerting. I particularly don't like it when my heart skips a beat. That's really scary. For just one brief second, you can't remember anything. Everything just....stops. It's really strange.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 PM

I get them when I'm pregnant. The only time I get them when I'm not pregnant is on the rare occasion I'm having a panic attack. I've been feeling like I'm having trouble breathing lately and I think that feeling triggers a bit of anxiety in me and thus triggers the heart palpitations.

I hope yours turn out to be nothing. Please keep up posted.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
Old 04-24-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies and concern, everyone. While I'm certainly not glad that some of you have also experienced these while pregnant, it's reassuring that it does happen to other pregnant ladies.

I'll let you know how Tuesday goes...

Old 04-24-2010, 09:10 PM

I had them a lot when I was pregnant with DD and they're starting now, too. I went to a cardio during the 3rd trimester and I was fine. For me, it's benign, even though it really doesn't feel that way sometimes!

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 04-25-2010, 07:12 PM

I get them from caffiene and stress, they are scary! Hope it works out.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurski View Post
Has anyone else experienced heart palpitations while pregnant? Either this pregnancy or a previous?

I've never really had them before, but started getting them occasionally about 2 weeks ago...at first I just attributed it to the stress of DH traveling overseas for work. But then last night, I was having terrible palpitations while trying to fall asleep...and then woke up in the middle of the night with my heart beating so hard that it freaked me out.

So, I went to my OB today, and now I have an appt. with a cardiologist scheduled for Tuesday.

I'm going to try to stay positive and think that everything is ok, but I'm a little freaked out right now (which, ironically, probably isn't helping with the palpitations!). Oy vey.
What you're experiencing is more likely tachycardia and not palpitations. I had this with my third pregnancy and now again with my fifth. I was just on a 48 hour holter monitor (took it off yesterday). My midwife referred me to a cardiologist and they did an ultrasound of my heart to start with. She found that I have 'stiff heart muscles' which can be caused by the tachycardia, or it can be caused by blockages in the veins. Since I'm pregnant and still able to do things around the house without getting overly exhausted, she doesn't want to do a stress test. However when the baby is 3 months old we'll be doing one. She's leaning toward the tachycardia causing the stiff heart muscles, but she wants to make sure there are no blockages.

Some ideas she gave me were to go low sodium. I have normal blood pressure as well, so this isn't going to hurt anything. Also, putting a little Gatorade powder in your water two to three times a day (not much, just a teaspoon or two) can help your body keep more water in your blood which will help with the flow. With the tachycardia you're heart is racing, but your blood isn't flowing correctly. She also said to keep myself cool and to put my feet up a good number of times a day. Like, LITERALLY put them up. Also, walk around a little bit about every half an hour to keep the blood flowing back up from your legs. Too, no caffeine and NO chocolate.

That's my advice! I am currently going through this (for the second time). Hope it helps!

Kris - Momma to FIVE DD's! S (13), C (10), P (8), A (6) and one more due late Sept/early Oct!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:22 PM

I get them too. I actually started getting them after my second pregnancy and now have them occasionally with my third. My OB said it is more common during pregnancy and was going to book a cardiologist appt for me, but thinks after talking about it more, that it isn't anything to get too worried about.

And strangely since talking with her a week and a half ago I haven't had any more!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for all of your replies...the wisdom of those who have gone before on this journey never ceases to amaze me!

The good news is that the "palpitations" (although I still think that's not quite the right description, but "thundering herd of heart horses" doesn't quite seem to be a medical term...) are functional. Meaning, it's all baby's fault! Ah, the miracles of pregnancy.

The doctor wants me to get an echocardiogram just to make sure the ticker looks fine, since I don't know my family history, but all in all I seem to be in one piece.

I guess here's to another 19 weeks of random palpitations!

User Tag List