heartburn, anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 05-23-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 26 weeks along and ugh, it's really hit this past week or so. Bad enough to wake me up feeling just nasty! I know the usual suggestion about eating small meals, avoiding fatty foods, etc. and I usually do that.

Last night a friend BBQ'd a bunch of steaks and of course I ate... and then paid for it today! I probably didn't even eat 1/3 of one of the steaks. On one hand I feel like "wow, I'm already 26 weeks!" and OTOH, that means I could have another 14+ weeks of this. Which makes me want to groan.

Misery loves company. Anyone?

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#2 of 26 Old 05-23-2010, 02:00 PM

lol yep... I posted about this recently with the title goodness gracious great balls of fire! LOL

I had bbq ribs last night but because I knew already that I am getting the heartburn, I preempted it with some Chooz... and then chewed a chooz the rest of the night.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 26 Old 05-23-2010, 02:17 PM

Thankfully mine hasn't kicked in full force yet. I'm only 24 weeks Wednesday though.

I agree, delivery still seems like a LONG way away!!

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#4 of 26 Old 05-23-2010, 02:30 PM

Oh yeah. Every time I eat. I don't understand it. Meal size doesn't seem to matter. Didn't have heartburn at all with me last. (or I forgot about it).
#5 of 26 Old 05-23-2010, 02:56 PM

ick yes, heartburn up the whazoo

Ah well, I suppose I could stop stuffing my face with spicy, greasy things, lol

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#6 of 26 Old 05-24-2010, 12:54 AM

Especially when he's vertex. He likes to hang out transverse a lot still, but if it's anything like my last pregnancy as soon as he goes vertex for good (a month or so, probably), it will never end.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#7 of 26 Old 05-24-2010, 01:46 AM

Ugh yes, I can feel my esophagus burning away... I am just over 25 weeks and just hit hard. Nothing helps. Seems like that comfortably pregnant stage didn't last too long.

Likes a little crunch with occasional sogginess~Misty,Mama to L1, L2, L3, L4,L5 and Loving J!
#8 of 26 Old 05-24-2010, 02:52 AM

DDC. I've actaully done a better job of managing my heartburn with this one than the last. Here's what I'm doing:
-- An apple a day. Don't know why that helps, but it does.
-- Calcium and magnesium liquid supplement at bedtime. I mix it with juice, and it is actually fine to drink. I can tell if I skip it because the next day I struggle with heartburn all day long.
-- Papaya enzymes. Taking one before, and one after the meal. Or, if it is a heartburn inducing meal, two or three after. Seems to help a little.
-- Probiotics. I bought a prenatal that includes these, and they seem to help. I'm also trying to eat more yogurt. Yogurt has become my go to breakfast when I wake with heartburn.
-- Tums. These are my last ditch effort for when I feel like baby is going to burn a hole out through my chest instead of waiting and coming out the usual way. They tone it down to a tolerable level.

Funny thing is, I NEVER have heartburn when not pregnant. So I think I'm more sensitive to it and more put off by it than those who deal with it normally. But like I said, last time, I had it 24/7. This time, well, only if I eat very poorly (that chili last week was a bad idea) or if I skip one of my daily regime.

Hang in there mamas!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#9 of 26 Old 05-24-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post
Funny thing is, I NEVER have heartburn when not pregnant. So I think I'm more sensitive to it and more put off by it than those who deal with it normally.
Same. I may try some of your tips.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#10 of 26 Old 05-24-2010, 05:32 PM

It's starting back up for me. I had awful heartburn for part of the first trimester, then it went away for the beginning of the trimester, now it seems to be creeping back. Yuck!

I'm also a never-have-heartburn person, so having it now is a real bummer.

Lunarlady: thanks for the tips!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#11 of 26 Old 05-25-2010, 12:55 PM

Crashing from October, but I found last time that the Calcium/Vit D/Magnesium supplement (Trader Joe brand) I took every evening for nighttime leg cramps in my last pregnancy also really helped with heartburn at night - I was no longer woken up by it... maybe just the extra calcium helped, but whatever, I was happy to tame two miserable pregnancy symptoms with a fairly benign supplement! I just started taking them the other night again and they're helping just as well as last time. Good luck!

Julie, mom to Ansel (Sept '07) and Amalia (Sept '10)
#12 of 26 Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 AM

I've been getting heartburn for the past few days too. I had the chance to ask my midwife about it yesterday...I would have forgot to ask her at the appointment, but then I noticed that I was heartburning, good reminder. Anyways, she gave me a couple suggestions that have helped others, but her advice was really to try stuff out and use whatever works, and use Tums only as a last resort. I've been doing the liquid calcium/magnesium thing at night too, but not for heartburn, yet come to think of it, it hasn't been bad at night. That must be why.

Her suggestions:
arrowhead grapefruit flavored sparkling water...had to be grapefruit (this is what worked for her personally)
a spoonful of sweetened condensed milk
ginger
something called maca honey

Other suggestions I've heard:
jamaican style ginger beer (drinking it now...if it works I'll post later)
raw almonds - I've had a bit of short term help with these

Melissa - 3 furbabies, 2 stepkids, 1 toddler born (9/27/10).  One loss on 7/13/09.

#13 of 26 Old 05-26-2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post
Funny thing is, I NEVER have heartburn when not pregnant.
Me too! I just started feeling it at 25 weeks. So far it's not too bad, but I am guessing it's going to get worse.

I am going to try your apple suggestion. Thanks!

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#14 of 26 Old 06-05-2010, 12:59 PM

It just started 2 days ago for me, at 23 wks 2 days. I had it horribly with my last baby, mostly at night. I'd spend many sleepless nights sitting up on the couch in awful pain that radiated to my back. Kefir helped.... I need to pick some up! I had a couple of Tums last night before bed and that helped a lot, but I'd rather try the Kefir again before resorting to Tums every night.

Are we allowed to post links? I don't remember... if not, feel free to take this post down. From Dr. Mercola-

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...aspx?aid=CD945

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#15 of 26 Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 AM

So this is heartburn? MAKE IT STOP.
Never had it before, and it is unbearable! I can't sleep. The pain goes away a bit now that I'm sitting at the PC. But laying down, it feels like my chest is dissolving and the pain goes through my back and jaw.
Tums have done nothing. I am going to cry. I'm going to try vinegar, because that's the only thing I have in my house besides tums.

Oh, and all the articles I just read that basically say the best cure is to avoid it? Bite me.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#16 of 26 Old 06-16-2010, 09:08 AM

I find that my heartburn is worse if I eat a bigger meal, so I try to eat more meals and make them each smaller, also not eating too close to bedtime if possible. It also helps tremendously to sleep propped up on nights when it's worse than normal.

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
#17 of 26 Old 06-16-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Chick View Post
So this is heartburn? MAKE IT STOP.
Never had it before, and it is unbearable! I can't sleep. The pain goes away a bit now that I'm sitting at the PC. But laying down, it feels like my chest is dissolving and the pain goes through my back and jaw.
Tums have done nothing. I am going to cry. I'm going to try vinegar, because that's the only thing I have in my house besides tums.

Oh, and all the articles I just read that basically say the best cure is to avoid it? Bite me.
This! My poor daughter has suffered for years with reflux and I just did NOT get it.

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#18 of 26 Old 06-16-2010, 10:52 AM

Honestly, I thought that heartburn would be more of a discomfort. Not unrelenting pain. Right now, I still have some, but it's very minor, basically what I *thought* it would feel like. But last night? It's like the difference between PMS crampiness and full on labor contractons.

HUGS to all mamas who have to deal with this awful, awful pain.

I suspect that mine was started off by the evil stomach flu. But hello body - I'm not throwing up anymore, the acid can stay put, kthxbye.
It could not be what I ate, because yesterday's food intake for the entire day was: glasses of milk, water, gatorade, some tapioca pudding, and about 6 slices of buttered toast.

I was able to sleep last night after a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (which after 20 min did not seem to be doing much) and a shot glass of milk (after 10, I was OK enough to sleep, though that might have been pure exhaustion). I'm going to get papaya pills, and eat tiiiinnnny meals, hoping to get rid of this.

#19 of 26 Old 06-16-2010, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I just take a zantac occasionally if it is bad, but this baby is low so I haven't had it very much this time.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#20 of 26 Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 PM

I finally started taking Zantac and it is miraculous. I know it's not a "natural" cure but it works well and my OB says it's safe.
#21 of 26 Old 06-16-2010, 12:19 PM

Another thing that has been a life savor is chewing gum. Seriously... it can mean the difference between a good night or a hellish night. Right after dinner I chew a piece of gum or right when I start feeling the burn.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#22 of 26 Old 06-16-2010, 02:44 PM

Okay, so as someone who suffers from heartburn both when I'm preggers and when I'm not, I feel like I should weigh in here and share what I've learned over the years...

First of all, yes, greasy, fatty, spicy, sugary foods make it worse, but when you're pregnant that's almost irrelevant because everything makes you have it. I believe this is mainly because your body produces a hormone called relaxin when you're pregnant and it helps to relax your hip joints so you can open up to have the baby... it unfortunately also relaxes all of the sphincters in your body. Therefore, we get the lovely bonuses of hemerroids and indigestion! (Some lucky people do have the fun bonus of getting really flexible in all their joints while they're preggers, but I'm not one of those.)

Here are the things I have found the most helpful in dealing:

1) Learn to meditate... I just started trying this method with this pregnancy and it (amazingly) helps a whole lot. Here's what I mean - focus on your breath for a little bit, then start to notice the feeling (for me it's an intensely burning esophagus, and just notice it. Don't judge it as being bad, just make note of every little thing about it. Some how, it makes it not quite so terrible.

2) Papaya enzymes!!! I eat them 3 at a time, as often as I need them.

3) Slippery Elm Bark lozenges. I made my own by mixing slippery elm bark powder with a little bit of honey (until it makes a dough consistency), then rolling it into thin "snakes" and cutting it into 1/2 inch lozenges. Bake them on parchment paper at 250 for about 10-15 minutes. Viola! Homemade relief!

4) Liquid Calcium Magnesium seemed to help me a LOT last time, but I haven't used it yet this time.

5) A handful of raw almonds seems to help a bit if it's not really extreme indigestion.

6) I've also found that a cup of mama tea with some milk and honey in it seems to help a lot too. I like to make a pot and have a cup hot, then put the rest in the fridge to drink cold later (I still like to put milk and honey in it).

Hope some of these tips are helpful... I guess another really good one to remember is "this too shall pass".

Happy indigestion battling!

Mama to Lulan 8/07, and Amelia Pearl 9/10
#23 of 26 Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 AM

I had no heartburn last night. None. Whooo! I am hoping that it means it was just due to being sick - but if not this is what I did yesterday. Probiotics, yogurt, light meals during the day. Got some papaya pills in the afternoon and chewed a few of those - I noticed that the last of the light burning started to go away. In the evening, still had a slight tingle in my chest, so I chewed 2 papaya pills with dinner. Right before bedtime, I drank a cup of Traditional Medicinals Heartburn Soother with some honey. It was very nice. By the time I was done with that, I did not even have a hint of heartburn left. I even slept fully reclined!

Could be that it would have gone by itself, or it could be that papaya and Heartburn Tea work wonders.

#24 of 26 Old 06-18-2010, 12:45 AM

Heartburn Tea!! That sounds great! I'll have to try and find some of that.

#25 of 26 Old 06-18-2010, 10:08 AM

Any Whole Foods type place should have it, and I've seen the Traditional Medicinals teas in regular supermarkets too. Here's what the box looks like.

As with pretty much all their teas, it has a pregnant/BFing warning, but my MW said it was perfectly fine. I only took as needed though, not the 2 cups a day to prevent.

#26 of 26 Old 06-19-2010, 12:06 PM

Oh, and another natural remedy I forgot to mention is baked potato.. I know, sounds crazy, but it totally helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page