What's your cervix up to? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 05-25-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and isn't that a classic MDC thread title?

Has anyone in this ddc done a cervix check recently? I was worried about overdoing it with gardening this weekend, so afterwards I went ahead and checked mine. I was surprised at how soft/mushy it was. This IS my fourth baby, but whoa. I feel like I should be sitting with my legs crossed!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#2 of 87 Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 PM

I seriously can't figure out how to check mine. I've read how to do it and tried every which way, but either it's too high up or my fingers are too short, I've NEVER been able to do it.

But I have weekly ultrasounds at this point because it's doing weird stuff. 18 wks it was 2.3 cm, 19 wks it was 5 cm, 21 wks it was back down to 2.5, 22 wks it was up to 3. I have another one Thurs. The weeks where it went back up, I'd been bed resting. Midwife said it felt "short" but according to all the literature digital exam for length is very inaccurate. I also bled after which just really freaked me out even though I knew it would happen, so I don't want any more manual exams. The dildo cam doesn't seem to bother it at all.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#3 of 87 Old 05-25-2010, 09:22 PM

Mine feels normal! (is it bad that I know what normal feels like for me?)

sort of like when it would be fertile but totally closed so yeah mushy but closed... I was getting a lot of cervical cramps so I checked myself, likely just Mae headbutting it or poking it lol

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#4 of 87 Old 05-25-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

I can't tell if mine is closed or not...it feels a little finger-tip stretchy. And it doesn't feel long AT ALL. When do docs start doing cervical checks?

bri~ A lady in that ddc said he has her best luck at checking after a shower. Your hands are really clean, your muscles relaxed, and you can check it while squatting or sitting on the toilet.

#5 of 87 Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 PM

totally closed for me would still be open for most women, but knowing the difference between closed and open from CP charting while TTC... I can tell its totally closed lol

having had a child before, it will always be a little open... but its not wide open!

mines not long either... enough to know its there and squishy yet not like hanging down or anything.

I have ALWAYS said doing it during/after shower is best too! For all the reasons ROM already stated.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#6 of 87 Old 05-25-2010, 11:48 PM

I've never tried any other way than squatting/on the toilet because I always read that was the best way. It's really weird, actually. I'm the type who uses Diva Cups, I'm not like, afraid of really reaching up there, but I just can't find it. I've tried for years.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#7 of 87 Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 PM

*not every day for years. Once or twice a year I'll get determined.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#8 of 87 Old 05-26-2010, 01:11 AM

lol well if you try during your most fertile time (likely the time you would be tempted to check anyway) it would be quite high! Sometimes just before ovulation I couldn't reach mine at all and I have long fingers!

#9 of 87 Old 05-26-2010, 01:51 AM

I never check my cervix when pregnant. It would just freak me out too much. It doesn't really matter either if you are open a bit or not, just as long as you are not bleeding, cramping or contracting. I don't really believe in cervical checks at all (maybe once or twice during labor-that's it). Cervical softness or dilatation doesn't really ever affect outcomes in women without symptoms. Your cervix sounds really normal for your parity!

Jessica
Mommy to Oliver (06/06) and Pearl (09/10)
#10 of 87 Old 05-26-2010, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can't reach mine at all. Same for the last pregnancy and I find it really bizarre. It is like I trade being able to feel my uterus for being able to feel my cervix :-p

I know by about 38/39 weeks last time I started being able to reach it again (with some serious acrobatics to get around the belly) so I guess I'll just have to wait.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#11 of 87 Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 AM

hmm.. now you've got me interested.. i might have to check later, though when i checked mine at 31 weeks last pregnancy i just freaked myself out (veeery soft and more than a fingertip.. turns out it was about the same at 40 wks :P)

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#12 of 87 Old 05-26-2010, 10:45 AM

I usually dilate early, so I am trying to refrain checking mine. I've had two full term births, so I don't think it matters a ton for me, as long as I'm not too effaced. But still, it probably would make me a bit paranoid. I was 1-2 cm and 50% effaced with DS from about 30 weeks on. I was working long hours and way too much and having a lot of BH contractions. He was born at 37 weeks. Are you having a lot of contractions RedOak?

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

#13 of 87 Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

No, not many contractions. I do have that pressure-feeling a lot of the multips in this ddc have been talking about. Between my squishy cervix and the pressure, I'm just feeling....cautious.

Now watch. I'll still be preggo at 41 weeks and I'll be jumping up and down trying to get the baby out.

#14 of 87 Old 05-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
Now watch. I'll still be preggo at 41 weeks and I'll be jumping up and down trying to get the baby out.
DF wants to get a trampoline when we move.

Im not telling him no...

#15 of 87 Old 05-26-2010, 01:51 PM

I'm not checking mine. I don't want to poke around in there in case it causes spotting, which would freak me out. That area is off limits right now!

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#16 of 87 Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
No, not many contractions. I do have that pressure-feeling a lot of the multips in this ddc have been talking about. Between my squishy cervix and the pressure, I'm just feeling....cautious.

Hopefully not. I wouldn't worry tho, if you aren't contracting I'm sure whatever you felt is normal for you.

#17 of 87 Old 05-27-2010, 12:06 PM

I can't find my cervix unless I'm hours away from giving birth.

And I'm not the only one. I remember a particularly embarrassing PAP moment when I was 21 where I had 2 students, the OB, and 1 nurse between my legs with a flashlight the size of Manhattan.

Apparently my vaginal canal is like a corkscrew and thus my cervix is 'around the corner'.

I haven't had my MW check my cervix this pregnancy (and she has short fingers, I remember from last time) but I prob will have her check me after week 36.

this is my 4th as well, and I havn't had a thought about my cervix really. But I am irrationaly concerned this kid will kick right thru my abdominal wall al a Alien.
#18 of 87 Old 05-27-2010, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well! After swearing I couldn't find mine, I found it last night after several hours of regular contractions (boo!). For the record, it is fairly mushy but not crazy squishy, pretty tightly closed for a lady who has already given birth and still long, pointed forward.

Gotta love intimate details as casual conversation :-p

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#19 of 87 Old 05-27-2010, 04:54 PM

I generally only check mine during NFP and during labor. Good thing too, I was 8cm with a bulging bag, hello, HB MW, get in the car!! I never have trouble finding mine, pregnant or not, but I'd rather not introduce any bacteria in there. I have weird fears about that in pregnancy.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#20 of 87 Old 05-27-2010, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

This is probably TMI, but I always figure there are probably fewer bacteria on my just-showered fingers than on dh's penis. And I let THAT thing in all the time.

#21 of 87 Old 05-27-2010, 05:07 PM

Yeah well, like I said, I'm super cautious. DH is in the dry dry desert. LOL

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#22 of 87 Old 05-27-2010, 05:23 PM

ROM, you crack me up!

I was inspired to check. Soft, a bit posterior, and a good fingertip. But I was 3cm at 35w last time and still went past due--and never got past 3! So I'm not at all concerned.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#23 of 87 Old 05-27-2010, 07:55 PM

I lost my plug at 32 weeks with my first, and delivered her at 36 weeks (not fun) - so I'm a bit cautious. DS of course, 41 weeks 3 days. LOL

Nothing going in, nothing coming out, for a while yet!

Liz

#24 of 87 Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
This is probably TMI, but I always figure there are probably fewer bacteria on my just-showered fingers than on dh's penis. And I let THAT thing in all the time.
I just spit my drink out on my keyboard I'd tend to agree with your assessment as well btw

I havn't checked my cervix this pregnancy. With Toad I was already having loads of preterm labour at this point and was already dilated 2-3cm. He still held out until way after his due date (now in fairness I was hospitalized during his pregnancy with drugs to stop my labour but then eventually the PTL stopped and in the end I was induced).

I will probably check towards the end... maybe... I did with Frog and then he came earlier than I was expecting at 38 weeks (I could tell during my checks that I was dilating/effacing without labour). I'd rather not know this time because I *really* want to make it to at least September 1st (I'll be 39 weeks)

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#25 of 87 Old 06-05-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneficial Bee View Post
I never check my cervix when pregnant. It would just freak me out too much. It doesn't really matter either if you are open a bit or not, just as long as you are not bleeding, cramping or contracting. I don't really believe in cervical checks at all (maybe once or twice during labor-that's it). Cervical softness or dilatation doesn't really ever affect outcomes in women without symptoms. Your cervix sounds really normal for your parity!
Not only do I agree with this, I honestly wouldn't have the slightest idea on how to start looking for it or know what it was if/when I found it!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#26 of 87 Old 06-08-2010, 08:14 PM

well, I went ahead and checked mine. I had a lot of contractions on Sunday, they were coming 2 minutes apart for a few hours and I got a bit worried. Mine is super mushy, too. Just wanted to share. lol. And a fingertip dilated.

#27 of 87 Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Part of me is really curious to hear what the first pelvic check comes up with...just because it seems so odd to be this mushy/dilated at only 6 months. When do the internal exams usually start with traditional care? I can't remember...

teamsalem~ Are you feeling better? What do you think caused the contractions?

#28 of 87 Old 06-09-2010, 08:17 AM

Usually they don't do pelvic checks until 36 weeks, around the time they check for Beta Strep. But, a lot of midwives don't do them at all. They aren't really necessary unless you're curious what is going on in there. With DD, I walked around 4cm for weeks, and it had absolutely no bearing on when I started labor. I really thought she would come fast, too, but alas, no! a 14 hour labor! It just got me amped up that she was coming. Will I learn tho? Probably not. I'll probably check out of curiousity this time , too.

I have no idea why I was contracting like that. Freaked me out, it did! I did that a lot with DS, and he came early-ish, at 37 weeks. But, I was overworked and suffered from lack of sleep with him. This time, I have no idea. I just hope this child doesn't have any notions of being a preemie! They're gone for now, hopefully they stay away.

#29 of 87 Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 AM

soz ddcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsalem View Post
I usually dilate early, so I am trying to refrain checking mine. I've had two full term births, so I don't think it matters a ton for me, as long as I'm not too effaced. But still, it probably would make me a bit paranoid. I was 1-2 cm and 50% effaced with DS from about 30 weeks on. I was working long hours and way too much and having a lot of BH contractions. He was born at 37 weeks. Are you having a lot of contractions RedOak?
what does effaced mean?
Quote:

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#30 of 87 Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
soz ddcc

what does effaced mean?

Effaced is the term they use to describe how much your cervix thins out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page