Mothering Forum banner

Names, names...thinking of names

769 views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  100%mom 
#1 ·
Where's everyone on names?

I think we have ours down to two (though it feels like four are still in the running). We've pretty much decided that if she looks more like dh, she'll be a Vivian. If she looks more like me, she'll be an Adeline (Adele). It's goofy, I know, but dh has a very Roman/Irish face that would look so much better with a dignified/starchier name like Vivian. I, on the other hand, have a very rounded/soft face...and would look silly (I think) as a Vivian. So Adeline, the softer name, it is.

So far we have one child that looks like dh (ds1) and one child that looks like me (ds3). Their names fit them in that dignified vs. softer way, and I'm glad for it. I know it's a totally ridiculous naming strategy, but I think it's the best one we'll have to go on! (And besides...in the ultrasound she looked like dh...so he's happy. He likes Vivian the most.)

The other two names we might use are Miriam or Juliet. I also still like Corinne, but it has a very different feel than the rest of the names in our family. Ingrid, Aurelia, and Imogen are out.

#2 ·
We have no idea what our little guy is going to be named...The family is trying to get me to agree to Elijah (Eli for short), but although I like the name, I can't seem to reconcile myself to that name for him. Last time we didn't know for sure what the name was until about 2 hours after he was born. Kinda figures...boy names are the hardest for us and here we are on our 4th boy! The universe is laughing at us.

#3 ·
I love them both. That is a great way to pick names!

I really like Miriam too! Corinne was my best friend in HS and I love the name!

We have two names really picked out

Grayson Murphy
Hannah ______ (need some help with the middle name)

in the running:
Clare
Elizabeth

Any other suggestions??

#4 ·
I'm starting to get really worried about the naming process. Nothing is standing out as "the one" (or rather two I guesss not knowing the gender.
Boy choices as of right now are Elias, Blair, and Miles
Girl choices are Evelyn, Audrey, Leila and Norah
I'll take any input.

#5 ·
Humph. Well, our favorite girl name happens to be very popular. But, we can't find anything we like better. So, we decided we don't care...we're using it anywaqy. But...it's hard for me to accept that it's so common, even though WE picked it 10 years ago.

Our boy name just changed, to honor a friend, and that is great with me. I liked our first name a lot, but we'll just shift it down to another baby, Lord willing. This baby will have a great name and a great story to be told if it's a boy.

#7 ·
I had my girl name for a while now. It was the second runner up when I had my dd. Boys names are much much harder.

I like a lot of names but my husband vetos nearly all of them or we have family members that I am not particularly fond of who are using two others. I am down to 3 right now and just go round and round on the one I want to pick. I prefer to know before birth but we will see. Right now the choices for boys are Louis, Everett and Walter.

#8 ·
I think we're about 90% settled on a name, but I can't see that we'll say it's a sure thing until after she's born. There are a couple of others that I really like as well, and we haven't really talked middle names at all, but this name is one we both really love. It's more popular than I'd like, but its popularity is trending downward, so I think I'm comfortable with it. Being a Jenifer in the 70s and 80s has made me gun shy on picking a name that's too popular, though even the most popular names today don't seem to have as many babies with them as Jennifer did at its peak!

#9 ·
ROM--I like your strategy! Vivian is a favorite of mine.

lolligee--I personally LOVE Elijah. If Eli weren't so popular (and my cousin didn't have an Eli), I would have been pushing for it myself! I like Elias a bit better, but I'm into the S ending right now for whatever reason.

ChloesMama--I love Grayson! DD1 had a little guy named that in her preschool class, and he was so cute
Hannah is lovely but a bit too common for my personal taste. Do you have any family names that would work as a middle?

LovnMyBoys--I like all your choices with the exception of Blair and maybe Leila. Elias and Audrey probably are my faves!

Just1More--I love names with significance!!

dpmercury--Ooooh! I love Everett!!

jenifera2--With my first, I never felt 100% settled on her name until I saw her.

AFM: We're making progress. Since we only want to use family names, we're limited. And no one is being particularly cooperative in getting us a family tree, so we're kind of flying blind. Right now, we're leaning toward Theodore Daniel. Nickname TBD.

#10 ·
I am just SO happy we have Mae and don't even have to think about it lol.

I remember how tough it was with DD while waiting to find out what she was, her boy name switched around a lot - Xavier, Kelvin, Max

Eventually it didn't even need to be bothered with lol.

I just fear having another girl if we decide to have one more baby... we don't have another girl name!

#12 ·
We decided on Finnegan Howard.
We'll call him Fin.

I should say I'm not a particular lover of the name Howard, but it is my maiden name so we're using it. My dad was the only boy of 5 and then only had girls, so I feel like I need to give him some homage.

#13 ·
We are so far away from a name it makes me cry. Yes, it made me cry because my precious little baby wasn't going to have a name. Ever. Stupid hormones. The worst part is I don't even feel like LOOKING for a name or trying to make a list. Blah.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Dh really wants Dashiell. Declan is his distant second. I want Jasper. I suspect he will win in the end but I'm not giving up yet.
Only thing I associate with Jasper is a very handsome (both physically and personality) police officer I know of. So I have majorly positive associations with that name!

Dashiell, however, makes me think of the Incredibles... that's their sons name and hes not exactly well-behaved lol

#16 ·
Liberal Chick - my #1 is Finnegan as well.

I love the name Declan. Unfortunately, DH and I knew one and he was a slimy bastard. I could get past it, because he was only a tangental slimy bastard to me, but for DH the bad association is way too strong even though the aquaintance was breif. Pity too, because that would have been on my short list.

#17 ·
We've had a name since before we knew she was a even a girl! I can't tell you how happy we were to find out the baby was a girl, because we had (and still have) zero boys' names, and I think we should have one in our back pocket *just in case* baby turns out to be a boy. Oh well...

Anyway, we're naming her Eleanor, because not only do we like it, but also because Eleanor was pretty much one of the most kick-ass queens of all time (Eleanor of Aquitaine) and a pretty awesome humanitarian (Eleanor Roosevelt). It's also quite British, which is nice, since DH's family is English (he's first generation American), and supposedly I've got some British in my mongrel genetic heritage....

We're going to call her Ellie as her nickname...

*However* we are a bit stuck on a middle name...this is what we have come up with our favorites...any thoughts (or suggestions)?

Claire
Camille
Cady
Jane
Marin (emphasis on second syllable)

She's going to have a crazy-long last name (18 letters, my uber-German last name hyphenated with DH's uber-British last name), so we want to keep the middle name pretty short.

Wow. I pretty much just wrote a novel...I think talking about the names of our little peanuts just makes their arrivals feel so much closer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.