Mothering Forum banner

The One Weekly Chat - July 5th -11th (come on in! all are welcome!)

2K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  RedOakMomma 
#1 ·
The One Thread is a way for us all to have a place to post whatever does not fit elsewhere that we do not want to make a new thread for. It comes from the TTC One Thread which was created so women could talk together no matter what point in the cycle they were in.

Our Gender Guess list is now in its own thread! http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1187289

Great Links!
Add yourself to the Roster Thread! That way we can keep track of who is due at the same time!
Share your belly pics. Dont be self conscious! Many FLUFFY mamas are posting too!
Worries thread. For when you have worries but want to share them in an environment with other worriers!
Pregnancy after loss. Sometimes those who haven't gone through it do not understand as well, you will find people who have there
Spotlight Thread Sign Up Sign up to share a bit about yourself with the rest of us!
Visible Embryo See pictures of what your baby looks like right now!

#52 ·
Back to back, but I am

I like this board because there are so few passive mommas. There's induction, and C-sections, and Epis, and all the interventions... but most posters here are aware and made a choice. An informed choice, the best one for them. That makes me happy.

And then, it the broader world, I see SO much BS that makes me so sad. One of DH's high school friends is expecting shortly, and posted that she was upset at "having to be induced". She was induced with her first and hated it. She's not even overdue yet but because she is not dilated at 36 weeks, her OB scheduled induction in 2 weeks. She's hoping that baby will come before that.
WTF.

And in another pregnancy place, there is a woman who went from induction to scheduled C on Monday. Not because baby or mom is stressed, again because she't not dilated. And the poor woman is really anxious.... and I am SO MAD.
Ranting to her that she does NOT have to have a C for that BS a reason won't help. I only know her online. I don't want to add to her stress anyway. But it irks me that so many women just go along with their OB and have all their birth power taken away for NO GOOD REASON.

I am seriously nearly in tears because it makes me so very sad.

#54 ·
I agree though... My cousins decisions were not based on any facts whatsoever though she voiced them like they were. they scheduled her CS for 38 weeks at 24 weeks because "you cannot have twins naturally"... ugh... and she never even ATTEMPTED breastfeeding because "you cannot breastfeed if you have had a breast reduction" again, total BS. You can at least attempt to see if you can or not... granted both she and her mom swears her doctor told her the twins are identical and that type runs in the family... but is very obvious as they reach 1 year old they are fraternal. There is NO way they share the exact same genes!

and as much as I wanted to slap some sense into her... it helps so much to find those other moms, moms-to-be and eventually-to-be-moms that actually do their research!

SIL wants a VBAC (even knowing how difficult it is to find a doctor that supports it)... her C-Section WAS a medically necessary one (pre-eclampsia was affecting both her and baby) and she knows theres still a chance she will not get a VBAC (for example, if the pre-e shows up again) but wants to do all she can to at least try.

DHs cousin who is due in Sept. with us wants as natural of a birth as she can get and confided in me that she wishes she could do a home water birth but her husband is too scared to try for first baby but is willing to consider it after the first one and she does not want to do something he is not comfortable with since he needs to be her support.

One of my best friends who isnt even pregnant yet and not planning on having a baby for almost 10 years has told me she wants a home water birth too.

These ladies... I just wanna hug them so hard when they tell me this!

ETA another cousins baby update! She is off of the feeding tubes and feeding on her own now. STILL on CPAP and IV though.

#55 ·
LitChick and MP, I know exactly how you feel! I really feel fortunate to interact with you smart, thoughtful ladies at MDC.

I have a friend who was induced at 39 weeks and then had a C-section for failure to progress and my friend's OB told her that the real reason is that her 6 lb baby was "too big" for her to push. And my friend clings to this always saying "can you believe this little tiny one was too big for these wide hips?" I want to be compassionate and supportive of my friend, especially since I feel she and her baby were totally robbed, so I hold my tongue and don't scream NO! I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BELIEVE IT! even though I desperately want to.

My friend even commented to me "I am glad I was not as informed about everything as you. It seems like you have had a really rough time finding resources to meet your needs. Ignorance is bliss and I was so glad to have been led by my doctor." This made me sick to my stomach and sad, too. I mean, I guess I am glad that she doesn't mourn the loss of her options (due to pressure from her mother, she actually asked for a shot at the hospital to keep her milk from coming in!!! Thank God the hospital said they don't do that anymore, though she never BF.) I am tremendously grateful for knowing my options, fighting for them (I don't love fighting for them but happy that I *can*), and having a support network in my mom, sister, husband, friends, La Leche League, and of course the MDC community. I truly, truly, truly value your wisdom and caring!

#60 ·
Where's that husband on the couch thread????

I'm supposed to hang out with a friend tomorrow, and her youngest has hand/foot/mouth disease. So, I rescheduled for later in the week, just to be extra cautious. (All our kids had the virus last year, and I took care of them, so certainly I am immune to it.)

WELL.

I told dh about the situation, and he wants me to delay for more than a week. He even, briefly (before my eyebrows hit the ceiling) pulled out the phrase "I'm going to put my foot down about this." Ummmm....NO. That does NOT fly around here.

I know he's being protective, but it drives me crazy when partners get uber-protective about stuff that makes no sense.

The ONLY way it could matter is if 1) I've never had the virus or 2) it's not hand/foot/mouth. Then it would only matter IF I deliver while I'm sick with a virus, in which case the baby would be preemie exposed to a virus.

That's a lot of ifs. Seriously. Should I just check myself into a convent for the next two months so I'm not exposed to anybody or anything (well...there are those germ-infested NUNS to worry about!!!)?!

Sheesh. Somebody get my husband a chill pill AND a reality check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.