Homebirthers Prep - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodmachine View Post
Is anyone NOT having their toddler at the birth?
Unless I go into labor while DD is sleeping then she'll go to a friend's house.

obstruct livery vehicles

#62 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 12:32 AM

I have a friend and a neighbor lined up for whenever Mae comes, if the kids aren't sleeping or at school... then I have a plan and a backup plan!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#63 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 12:33 AM

I'm all ready. Baby can come whenever it feels the time is right!!!

I was going to make witch hazel frozen pads but I can't find my witch hazel. I have some of those pads that you "pop" or "crack" that get cold (the hospital gave me some with my last birth) so I'll just use those, I guess.
#64 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 AM

I'm not as ready as I planned on being, but about as ready as I really care about...if that makes any sense lol. I guess my standards have gone down LOL. I didn't freeze any meals (my BFF is coming to stay with me for a few weeks though so I'm going to be putting her to work), I didn't get everything on my list etc, but I've got the essentials. This weekend is "baby laundry" weekend. I'm finally washing and putting away all the clothes, blankets, and diapers (which I'm finishing prepping as I type). Other than that, just need to go shopping and make sure the kitchen is well stocked. Thats about it I guess. I guess i could throw a few witch hazel-soaked pads in the freezer. I've got the witch hazel and the pads. I'm 37wks tomorrow and not expecting any action soon, but if it happened tomorrow I'd be ready enough. I'd still like to do a big deep clean on the house, but we'll see

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
#65 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 09:21 AM

I'm ready. If DD is here and awake she is going to Grandma's.
I was going to hire someone to come and do a BIG clean...but now that I'm not working I don't want a team of cleaners in my house from 9-3 one day. Not this week at least.

So I feel ready and that feels great! I'm 38 weeks tomorrow, 38.6 by the u/s. I'm using the conception due date Sept 6, by I can't help but think about the u/s one which is August 31st!

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#66 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 10:01 AM

I guess I'm ready. LOL.
I'm used to having to get together more of a birth kit than my current midwives provide...they bring almost everything! I feel ill-prepared because of that and might pick up a few things (blue pads, ect) just incase.

All my baby stuff is ready though...clothing, diapers, and postpartum stuff for me. Meals are frozen, and the house has been scrubbed.

I'm only 37 weeks this weekend though and haven't birthed before my EDD as of yet, so I can't imagine it'll start now.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#67 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 AM

I need to hold on another 2 weeks.

I still haven't ordered my birth kit yet. I'm 35 weeks today.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#68 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 AM

I am 36 wks 4 days - and i think i'm ready to go if necessary but i do have a few more things i could do - i need to freeze washcloths still.. get food together .. i have a few more cleaning projects to do but thats more nesting than actual home birth prep.. i also have a few more things i wanted to sew but if they don't get done, oh well .. i would be totally fine with my house being a little messy and my sewing projects getting stuffed back into a box if it meant i was busy cuddling my newborn!

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#69 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 04:34 PM

I had my birth kit by 32 weeks... But I was nuts and had a feeling the baby would come early... And now I'm term (36 weeks) tomorrow and facing high BP/possible pre-e so it's possible I may be urging baby along... LOL. I keep telling the baby that they can come on Thursday. I'm on bedrest now though for the BP and so my house is NOT ready... I have a list... Just need family to help me with said list... LOL. I'm doing some time up doing some light stuff but mostly sitting and laying down... Sigh.

We ran out test run on the pool Friday after my MW put me on bed rest and said baby can now come and be born at home (and I'm measuring HUGE too so we think baby is likely big). The birth supplies are set and ready... Just my house needs to be cleaned...

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#70 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattygirl99 View Post
I had my birth kit by 32 weeks... But I was nuts and had a feeling the baby would come early... And now I'm term (36 weeks) tomorrow and facing high BP/possible pre-e so it's possible I may be urging baby along... LOL. I keep telling the baby that they can come on Thursday. I'm on bedrest now though for the BP and so my house is NOT ready... I have a list... Just need family to help me with said list... LOL. I'm doing some time up doing some light stuff but mostly sitting and laying down... Sigh.

We ran out test run on the pool Friday after my MW put me on bed rest and said baby can now come and be born at home (and I'm measuring HUGE too so we think baby is likely big). The birth supplies are set and ready... Just my house needs to be cleaned...
My first child was born at 36 weeks and the HB MW and I discussed just that this past week. DH and I do not feel comfortable until at least 37, hence my hesitance at purchasing the birth kit.

But yipes these contractions suck.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#71 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 04:43 PM

I'm hoping that my BP remains level (it's come down to normal on bedrest) and I can just do my RRL and EPO on my cervix for now, which I'd be doing high BP or not... I'd rather a 37 weeker than a 36 but if it came down to my BP and the fact that I can't be medically induced (VBAC), I would start encouraging things naturally.

I feel fine with a 36 week birth... I was a 36 week birth (induced, my mom had pre-e... figures it'd be my THIRD baby I would have issues) and I was nearly 7lbs. This baby is most likely big (you really feel baby... baby back, baby butt, baby feet... heck you can even see baby outline!) so if I had to choose between natural induction and a repeat c-section, I think I'd go for natural induction. In fact, 36 weeks was MY cut off the whole pregnancy and what I told the baby whenever I had contractions I had to stop (twice now)... That any time after 36 weeks was fine but before!

~ Fe ~
#72 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 04:52 PM

I had mine since between 33 and 34 weeks. Im two days shy of 37 weeks, which happens to be on a full moon.

Had severely convincing labor signs yesterday... but today? eh. My back hurts through contractions thats it.

For a while today I was freaking out thinking she might have gone breech but Im starting to just think thats her knee im moving around (which would mean she is posterior, which would explain my back hurting...)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#73 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 05:50 PM

We all have our own comfort levels, ya know?

Annabelle had a cord issue, low birth weight (no fat on her, skin and bones), difficulty establishing breastfeeding, de-satted in her infant seat, and had horrific reflux.

So for us, it's a no go. But for others, it works. Just depends on your individual factors.

Liz

#74 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Liz I'm so sorry you went through all that!!! Big hugs!

~ Fe ~
#75 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 06:21 PM

Just telling DH that I feel like I am going crazy- totally exhausted and crabby, feeling like I am about to cry at the drop of a hat AND nesting insanely. I have all of the things I need in the house, but birth supplies need to be corralled into a single location and organized, and diapers need to be sorted out (Where am I going to put all of my toddler's stuff AND the baby's stuff? Toddler is potty training and we have prefolds and covers, training pants, and stuff everywhere...). Last load of baby clothes in washer, next up is washing co-sleeper, stroller, and swing covers. My biggest problem with HB is keeping the house clean. I am SOOO tired, but I can't stand the thought of the house being dirty when I go into labor. This results in me staying up late every night re-cleaning everything constantly. Could someone just send me a memo telling me that I am about to go into labor so I can just do a good cleaning once and not have to keep repeating myself?!!!

(Plus, have been having nonstop BH and stabbing pains in my cervix making me think I will go sooner rather than later...)
#76 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 07:00 PM

I am 37wk3d and we have everything we need.

We've done a trial run of the pool set up (did not fill it with water though). Made sure the hose fixtures fit our sink, flushed the hose with hot water, have the pool 3/4 inflated and sat in a room with closed doors (so we just have to pull it out, fill it up with the pump for about 2 minutes, add the liner and then we're good to put water in it). Everything is really all set....

YIKES!!! lol

SAH Mama to Cooper (3-9-08) and Sawyer (9-3-10).   
#77 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 08:22 PM

i'm 37w 2d and supply wise i'm all set... but litterally cant been over alll theway any more and i'm having a hell of time keeping my house picked up.. let alone scrubbed down and sparkly! DH is planning on cleaning when i'm in labor (my shortest labor was 8 hours.. so he shhould have time) but i hate the idea of him having to do that when i'm in labor.. but seriously... what else can you do at this point?

Amanda~ mommy to Brayden (06/05), Noah (08/07), Alex (11/08), Lucy (09/10) and Kara (10/12)
#78 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 PM

Ha! just realized I sound totally non-AP (swing, stroller, co-sleeper), but I washed my slings first and we have never actually used our co-sleeper except to keep a baby from rolling out of our bed onto the floor. That is why it needs to be washed- its all dusty.
Also wanted to add that my mom will pick up my kids when I go into labor, although I have explained the process to them just in case I have a quick labor or it goes so smoothly we keep them here. I don't think my oldest would handle it very well and I am not really interested in trying to maintain control just for his sake.
#79 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloneinid View Post
Ha! just realized I sound totally non-AP (swing, stroller, co-sleeper), but I washed my slings first and we have never actually used our co-sleeper except to keep a baby from rolling out of our bed onto the floor. That is why it needs to be washed- its all dusty.
Also wanted to add that my mom will pick up my kids when I go into labor, although I have explained the process to them just in case I have a quick labor or it goes so smoothly we keep them here. I don't think my oldest would handle it very well and I am not really interested in trying to maintain control just for his sake.
Hmm. With DS's birth, the only noise I made was when I was able to push finally and then repeatedly told I was pushing incorrectly. I screamed in utter frustration. I was quiet other than that. I was quiet during my first birth.

If you're a quiet laborer, it could work?

Liz

#80 of 92 Old 08-22-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm ready. I'll be 37 wks tomorrow. All my birth supplies are in my closet. Now I just can't go into labor starting tomorrow morning through Tuesday afternoon because my MW will be 4 hours away from my house. My longest labor was 4 1/2 hours.

I would also like a memo telling me when the birth will be. It would make life so much easier.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#81 of 92 Old 08-23-2010, 03:44 AM

sattygirl99- I hope you get lots of help at home so you can relax even more.

Exciting that our DDC's first HB will happen soon.

Yes, now it is just really about maintaining the level of "clean" in the house. The dogs are shedding their summer coats (Fall is moving in up here) so I'm sweeping constantly. I kicked them off the couch a few months ago and off the bed last pregnancy. Poor them...every child lowers their standard of living a little. But they get someone else in their lives (who also lives on the floor a lot) to pet them so perhaps it even out.

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#82 of 92 Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 AM

Keeping the house clean is my biggest problem. I'm doing the same thing I'm sure you're all doing - busting my rear every day to get it all cleaned up, and then it starts to fall apart so quickly. I'm using all my energy doing and re-doing the same things.

Is anyone one their 3+ birth and can tell me that I will have a clean house when I go into labor? I think I was worried about having a messy house at this point last time, but somehow it all worked out. This time with a 2 year old I'm not feeling so confident.

I have to get my act together on the birth supplies front. And I'm waiting for my pool that FIL FINALLY shipped after 10 weeks of asking. Once I'm sure it inflates I'll order a new liner, otherwise a whole new pool.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#83 of 92 Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 AM

My house has generally always been clean, before and after all of my births, but I am my father's child and have high expectations. I literally cannot function in a slum of a house and DH knows this. So while it isn't up to my normally high expectations he does try to prevent it from falling to his.

Liz

#84 of 92 Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 AM

XM, I think that it was more difficult for me when I had very young babies/toddlers and expected another. It's been easier for these past two babies to keep a tidy house because I have two children old enough to help keep it tidy now.

Today's my homebirth greenlight day! WOOT! My midwife will do home delivery now!

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#85 of 92 Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Totally easier with bigger kids to help. My older two are 5 and 3 and can do a considerable amount of work for/with me. They cleaned up the front yard this morning, and watered the flowers. They are about to haul all the laundry downstairs.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#86 of 92 Old 08-23-2010, 05:43 PM

Ordered my birth kit today, it takes 6 business days to get here. So by the time it gets here I'll be well on my way to alright to HB.

Liz

#87 of 92 Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

It is easier to keep that house clean now then it used to be. My oldest ones always pick up all the toys before bed and they help with other small things around the house.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#88 of 92 Old 08-23-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumyonly1 View Post
i'm 37w 2d and supply wise i'm all set... but litterally cant been over alll theway any more and i'm having a hell of time keeping my house picked up.. let alone scrubbed down and sparkly! DH is planning on cleaning when i'm in labor (my shortest labor was 8 hours.. so he shhould have time) but i hate the idea of him having to do that when i'm in labor.. but seriously... what else can you do at this point?
One thing my DH told me the other day... To remember that midwives are people just like you and me... They're mothers, some of them with young children themselves (like mine).

As he put it 'I've been in our midwifes house and honey, you don't have to stress that it's all perfectly clean and organized with no clutter and stuff'...

(he's working on her farm to barter our birth fees so he's in her house every weekend, lol).

That helped me feel a little better... As long as my kitchen and bathroom are clean and there's no food on the floor, I'm not going to worry about dishes in my sink or toys about... I AM a mama after all...

~ Fe ~
#89 of 92 Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 PM

Ah ha ha, my birth kit and stuff got flagged as a fraudulent purchase and Doug got a phone call from his card company about it. I'm sure that will slow down its shipping even more.

Liz

#90 of 92 Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 PM

Oh Liz, that IS funny.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page