Mothering Forum banner

Insomnia, anyone??

356 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Monkey Keeper 
#1 ·
Anybody else having insomnia? I don't remember having this with DD... lots of sleepless nights due to being uncomfortable, but this time around I'm not even uncomfortable... I JUST CAN'T SLEEP. Can't seem to turn my brain off - I just lay there while it spins and spins... for hours...

What do you do??

I've been taking Ionic Fizz (magnesium) before bed because it's supposed to help... guess it does a little.

#2 ·
Mine's not too bad, but I usually wake up for a while every night and eat something and poke at the internet for a couple of hours. I woke up an hour ago and it's now getting towards 5 AM and the sky is brightening outside, which means it's time for me to get back to bed!

#3 ·
I've been up since 4am. I'm exhausted but my mind just won't turn off. IT's so frustrating!!! I have 3 kids who will be up in an hour and I'd really like those two hours of sleep. By 8am I'm crashing and burning but it's still 3 hours away from the baby's nap time so I"m grumpy as h*ll waiting for it.

#4 ·
Oh, hello. I went to bed around 12:30 or 1 and was wide awake at 5:30 for absolutely no reason. I have to work today and then take DD to speech therapy and then help to haul coolers, bags, umbrellas and an uncooperative 5 yr old across a beach in the 90ish degree heat and spend hours there. At which point all this sleepiness will hit me and I, having a large melon attached to the front of my abdomen, will be unable to sleep in any position whatsoever because I need eleventy pillows and total darkness to do so.

#5 ·
Mine depends on the night, I guess. Thankfully last night I was able to sleep, but for quite a few days there was very little rest. I just keep thinking and worrying and remembering... argh. Before baby took up residence in my tummy I would take a sleeping aide, now I take naps.

#6 ·
Benadryl is nice occasionally.

I have a mental rolodex of pleasant, sleepy thoughts. How I'd spend lottery winnings, designing and walking through my dream house, planning a vacation, etc. Nothing important, real or worrisome - I just turn on to one of these, and I fall right back asleep.

My dad swears by warm milk and cinnamon.

#7 ·
I just posted about this on the main forum -- it's driving me crazy, too! And like you, it's not because I'm uncomfortable (I am, but that's never stopped me before) it's just my brain won't shut up. My husband actually stayed home from work yesterday because I was stressed and just couldn't function (My 2 year old is not that sympathetic).

I'm trying to do a nice, relaxing bedtime routine for me and I'm trying to keep the days really low stress. Last night I didn't sleep much, but I did rest. I'm just hoping it gets better.

#8 ·
Doctors recommendations -

Sleepy time tea with honey (or any chamomile tea with honey would work, but it has to be warm and caffeine free!)
Warm/hot bath with Calgon Lavender Vanilla (or any other lavender scented bath stuff but the calgon makes you feel SO silky smooth too!)

If both of these fail... benedryl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.