Mothering Forum banner

My Awesome Weight!

958 views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Galatea 
#1 ·
This may just be me trying not to dwell on the highest (by a LOT) I've ever weighed in my life, but I kind of feel like a champ these days every time I weigh myself.

I came out of the bathroom flexing my muscles last night going "203.5! USA! USA!" DH and I high-fived.

I can't explain my bizarre sense of empowerment every time I rock (literally) the scale. Anyone else?

#2 ·
I crossed over into the 200 (now at 206 i think thereabouts) and have been so dreading the scale now.. It's definitely the heaviest I've ever weighed in my life and it's scaring the crap out of me. I'm so worried that I won't be able to lose the weight after since I only lost 5 lbs after my dd was born (she weighed 7.8 at birth and I left the birth center weighing 5 lbs less than when i went in). It also doesn't help that I'm super short (5'2").

I wish I felt some of that empowerment that you're experiencing. And good for you for owning your weight!

#6 ·
You know what's funny? After a long stint of fatty business travel last fall, I was bound and determined to lose a few pounds after the holidays. (We were neither trying to conceive nor being careful when I decided on weight loss.) When I thought back to my weight loss plans after learning I was pregnant, I thought "Oh well, I guess this is not the year." But still I was a little nervous about the pounds creeping on. Although in the first month, boy howdy I packed them on. Hello 10 pounds in 2 weeks! (Mixed blessing that I was so sick and lost weight for awhile???) Now, I guess I've kind of just decided that there's simply nothing to be done about the loads...and loads..and LOADS of stretch marks I have (seriously, I have never seen anyone else with as many as me) or the weight. So if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Bring on the el bees! My baby is growing strong!

And if anyone is feeling sad or nervous about their weight, I'm here to high-five you.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
After baby comes and I can start to lose weight, I will do the same when I hit 203,

Oh me too Mae. Unfortunately I surpassed 203 before I even got pregnant thanks to depression and stress eating.

#8 ·
Yeah, I can't gain weight. I'm trying to gain back some weight that I lost last month. I'm down to 12 pounds gained, I was 12 pounds overweight when I got pregnant. I'm at 180.5 right now.

Liz

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gradstudentmommy View Post
Oh me too Mae. Unfortunately I surpassed 203 before I even got pregnant thanks to depression and stress eating.
i was well past 203 before I got pg with little miss Mae... I was actually on my way back down and had my sights set on 200 (was only about 20 lbs away!)

and then two pink lines and weight loss went out the window!

at least we know to watch my thyroid this time so maybe breastfeeding will help me lose weight for once!

#10 ·
Crafty - I'm jealous of your upbeat attitude re: weight gain. I have gained 35 lbs since getting pregnant and no longer weigh myself other than the weight checks the mw does. I have always been petite and it is freaking me out to see the numbers on the scale.

Also, I have no stretchmarks on my belly yet, but they are taking over my left butt cheek. This seems to have stemmed from water retention as they shrink when I'm not swollen.

I will do my best to emulate you and get into a good headspace about my weight gain. I am growing a healthy robust baby! and after giving birth, I will nurse the pounds right off!

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by louis View Post
Also, I have no stretchmarks on my belly yet, but they are taking over my left butt cheek. This seems to have stemmed from water retention as they shrink when I'm not swollen.
I have no stretch marks either... or should say, no new ones!

I am hoping to keep it that way... pretty sure I do not have any more skin on my stomach TO stretch!

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by louis View Post
Crafty - I'm jealous of your upbeat attitude re: weight gain. I have gained 35 lbs since getting pregnant and no longer weigh myself other than the weight checks the mw does. I have always been petite and it is freaking me out to see the numbers on the scale.

I will do my best to emulate you and get into a good headspace about my weight gain. I am growing a healthy robust baby! and after giving birth, I will nurse the pounds right off!
Cindy, I have seen your belly pics and you are just looking FABULOUS! Weight is nothing but a number and with all the work we're doing growing whole people, we have the right to own that number. Work it, Maeryn! You've got a gorgeous little girl in your body!

The stretchmarks are what I REALLY have to buoy myself about. I have seen on my own mother how with time, they fade to a lovely and hardly noticeable silver. I know they are badges of honor, just like my weight, but LORD HAVE MERCY, from my belly button down, there is almost no un-purple area. They are millimeters apart! They are many! They are long! They are itchy as all get-out. They are now appearing on my upper thigh. But I will own them! I must! And don't even get me started on how all the hair that is sprouting up along my linea negra is ingrown below my navel. We all have our crosses to bear, but let's think positive!

#13 ·
Do you know how fast they faded with your mother?

I did not pay total attention to how fast mine did but by the time I got pg with DD, the ones from DS were already silver... and he was not even 2 yet when I got pg with her...

and the ones from DD are now so faded that if I take a pic of my belly, you can see them but not as horribly noticeable as they used to be!

and... I think I may just do that. Take a nice pic before I DO end up with a new one!

#14 ·
Okay, I posted an unedited belly shot with stretchmarks intact on the belly pic thread (and an example of editing them out... if you want to do your own shots but are not any good at editing them and want them gone, PM me, I will do it for any MDC lady for free even though I usually charge for things like photo edits!)

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMcGluestick View Post
The stretchmarks are what I REALLY have to buoy myself about. I have seen on my own mother how with time, they fade to a lovely and hardly noticeable silver. I know they are badges of honor, just like my weight, but LORD HAVE MERCY, from my belly button down, there is almost no un-purple area. They are millimeters apart! They are many! They are long! They are itchy as all get-out. They are now appearing on my upper thigh. But I will own them! I must! And don't even get me started on how all the hair that is sprouting up along my linea negra is ingrown below my navel. We all have our crosses to bear, but let's think positive!
Crafty, I think I can challenge you to a stretchmark-off. Mine started somewhere around week 18? Week 20? I don't remember, except that all of a sudden it looked like baby was trying to claw her way out from the inside.
Now my whole belly like a treasure map of some mysterious purpley-red river delta area...I'm hoping the treasure is the baby, and not some piece of food I dropped that got stuck under my belly...

#16 ·
Crafty, I think your attitude rocks!

With DD1 I walked out in prepregnancy clothes after having her; with DD2 I gained *hides* 70 lbs so yeah it was rough, but I lost all the weight and was down to 133 when I got pregnant with this LO...well I weighed 182 last week and I have been trying to not think about the fact that I have already essentially gained 50 lbs and still have 10 weeks until this babe is due

But heck, I lost it once, I can do it again, and for the moment-OMG cake is good

#17 ·
Quote:

Do you know how fast they faded with your mother?
I'm not sure. I don't think it was as fast as you. I do remember them being darker when I was younger, but I'm not sure how much younger. The best answer I can give you is that I am her youngest baby and...I'll be 30 next month.
So before then! I never thought to notice before I had them myself.

You must have some serious skillz to edit out stretchmarks, MP. I haven't looked at your example pics on the belly thread yet, but I think it would take a small miracle to make all mine go away. I do think I will photograph the naked truth of them though so that in 30 years (!) I won't have forgotten.

And Laurski: LOL! My body TOTALLY looks like Baby is trying to claw out from the inside. Hilarious! Perfect analogy!

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMcGluestick View Post
You must have some serious skillz to edit out stretchmarks, MP. I haven't looked at your example pics on the belly thread yet, but I think it would take a small miracle to make all mine go away. I do think I will photograph the naked truth of them though so that in 30 years (!) I won't have forgotten.
Ive been doing digital art for almost 20 years now... its my passion that unfortunately goes to the back burner during pregnancy.

This is my gallery of work I have done over the past 6 years or so.

#19 ·
I've always been surprisingly fine with gaining weight, despite being raised by a woman with many full-blown eating disorders (she's been anorexic, bulimic, addicted to diet pills and laxatives - the only thing she's never done to manage her weight is exercise.)

I was more interested than worried once I found out I was pregnant: my Mom gained, like, seventy pounds with me and fifty with my brother and my Grandma gained twenty during each of her three pregnancies and all of her babies were bigger than my Mom's (one of my uncle's was ten pounds at birth).

I seem to be taking after my Grandma, which isn't that surprising considering our body-types are much more similar than me with my Mom. I started at 107 and I'm at 128 now, so twenty-one pounds and a month-and-a-half to go. It's been cool to see how my body takes to the process. People are always saying to me, "you must feel so different," but I really don't. I often forget I'm pregnant until I can't bend over to pet the dog. I just feel like me, even thought I'm carrying a little extra baggage.

#20 ·
I was feeling nervous about lots of the weight gain, but then I went to my 28 week appt. and realized I only gained 1lb. in a month and now I'm feeling nervous about NOT gaining weight :p

It was so much easier not to stress last time. I weighed myself when I felt like it and my midwife just asked me the final numbers at the 3 day post-partum visit. I absolutely hate reporting my weight and not seeing it on my own terms.

#21 ·
Mae, your arts are neat! I'm an animator, but I haven't actually animated anything in MONTHS.

I also haven't gained any weight in over a month, and in fact I had diarrhea last week and actually lost a bit of weight. My midwife isn't worried, though, so I'm trying not to worry. I would LIKE to gain more weight, though, and I'm eating a whole lot.

Crafty, your exultation is truly excellent!

#23 ·
Oh man.. I'm 29.5 weeks, at 20 weeks I'd gained 20lbs and was ok with it.. I quit smoking so I can blame 10lbs on that
. Today I went in and I'm retaining so much water that I've gained 19lbs in 9 weeks.
That puts me at a grand total of 39lbs since the first of the year. I want to cry. A lot. I'm in the "don't gain more than 15lbs" club based on my pre pregnance weight and I've gained more already than I gained the whole time with Reya.

#24 ·
Im up 20lbs from prepregnancy... and 35 from the lowest I was during the morning sickness.

I didnt want to gain this much but I am trying so hard not to let it get to me. I am the heaviest I have EVER weighed, even full term with DD.

#25 ·
Quote:

Im up 20lbs from prepregnancy... and 35 from the lowest I was during the morning sickness.

I didnt want to gain this much but I am trying so hard not to let it get to me. I am the heaviest I have EVER weighed, even full term with DD.
I *started* this pregnancy 50lbs over what I was when I delivered DD. I'm really not doing well. At the same time I'm 99% sure it's mostly water weight. So I don't really know what to do about it.

#26 ·
Im 240 on the dot right now.

Admitting it out in the open is not fun... but I figure it probably needs to be done for me to come to grips with it.

I was 225 when DD was born and never wanted to be heavier than that... I was almost 225 when I got pregnant with this little one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.