Sleep Positions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are you ladies coping with sleeping at night? I keep waking up every couple of hours with my hip (whichever side I'm sleeping on) *killing* me. Anyone have any suggestions for more comfortable sleeping? Or just want to whine with me about missing a lovely night's sleep?

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#2 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 AM

I'm right there with you and would love any tips! I wake up about every 90 minutes to pee and can hardly get out of bed because the hip I'm lying on hurts so bad!

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
#3 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 01:40 PM

are you using pillows between your knees? It should help some. I'm having the same problem and a pillow does help some but not completely. I'm constantly waking up to pee, or b/c i'm hot or just sore.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#4 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiana View Post
are you using pillows between your knees? It should help some. I'm having the same problem and a pillow does help some but not completely. I'm constantly waking up to pee, or b/c i'm hot or just sore.
Sadly, I am, and it doesn't seem to be helping...the problem is mostly with the lower hip (whichever one is resting on the mattress).

Right there with you on the waking up because I'm hot, sore, or have to pee (or all three!)

#5 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 PM

Ive taken to using body pillows placed just right so I can lay as much on my stomach as is comfortable.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#6 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 02:16 PM

I use a body pillow. It is not a normal one, it is a U-shaped pillow. When you rotate sides there is always something to put your legs in between. I put the bottom of the U as my head pillow, but I think it could also be flipped either way.
#7 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 03:10 PM

Between peeing constantly, the advent of a sinus infection, hip pain, acid reflux that only happens at night and massive pubic bone pain, sleep is kind of a giggle around here. I did discover that I can sleep on the couch okay with a pillow firmly placed in the small of my back, but the living room is HOT at night, and I miss sleeping with DW.... And no matter where I sleep, I'm still up every two hours to pee...

Samantha, married to Holly for over five years . DD #1 born 12/13/06 , DD #2 born 8/18/10 and 2 furballs of indeterminate age.
#8 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 03:15 PM

Many many pillows, mostly between my legs/stomach, and some behind my back so I can lean on those if I want.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#9 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 03:42 PM

I saw a diagram in a book from the 70s that I've remembered through all my pregnancies. It showed how to rest so that every part of you was being supported by the bed/floor. I've found it makes a huge difference to try to sleep that way.

So, I sleep on my side, but, like MP, as much on my stomach as possible. My top leg crosses over so it is also on the bed, as does my top arm. I don't use any pillows, except one for my head. And I'm not sure this is the best thing, but I try to limit how much I drink later in the evenings. It means I can make it 6 hours or so without waking up.

My sleep trouble is not me. It's dh! He is a restless sleeper and he keeps me from sleeping deeply. If he sleeps in the other room, I wake up with all sorts of wonderful energy (after I get caught up from being behind, that is). If he sleeps with me...arg...I can hardly see straight the next day. A few days of it, and I ache all over, and can barely function.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#10 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM

Pillows. Pillows. Pillows. I also lay on the other side every time I get up to pee. Which about every hour.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#11 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 03:49 PM

I bought a foam mattress topper, and that along with a huge U-shaped body pillow helps a lot. Then when I roll over, I don't have to re-adjust any pillows. Up until recently, it's taken away all of my hip pain, but lately it's started to come back a little, perhaps because I'm getting heavier or more sore or something. Last night as I went to bed, I stared at my spot, and wondered aloud which hip I should torture first. I also stop drinking a few hours before I go to bed, and that helps a little.

rainbow1284.gifenergy.gifAugust 2010 ; angel2.gif April 2009; angel1.gif m/c 2008

#12 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 PM

I'm just starting to have to use the bathroom every night...so yeah...getting up and out of bed is not comfy. Better than painful OMGMYBLADDER! if I *don't* get up and go pee at least once, though!

I sleep with a king-size pillow between my knees. Sometimes it's lower down so I can have it be between my feet as well. Sometimes I keep it higher up so I can rest my upper arm on it. When I flip sides (which always elicits a big groan now--it hurts!) I flip with my pillow. I'm tired enough these days that I've noticed I'm only flipping once a night...which could be why my hips hurt? Maybe too much time in too few positions?

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#13 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
I'm just starting to have to use the bathroom every night...so yeah...getting up and out of bed is not comfy. Better than painful OMGMYBLADDER! if I *don't* get up and go pee at least once, though!
Me too... I had done soooo good until recently but had to get up TWICE last night (well once last night and once at 5am when DH got up for work)

Wonder if its since this is baby#3 for me that it took so long to get to this point?

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#14 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 05:44 PM

...yeah......preggo #3 AND rockstar kegels! (Or at least that's what I'm telling myself...all these recent threads about prolapsed this and prolapsed that are FREAKING ME OUT.)

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#15 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 05:52 PM

I had a prolapse after DD1 so Ive been doing Kegels subconsciously (I gave myself certain triggers) for about 5 years.

When im at a red light/stop sign, when I check my emails, when I get a text from twitter... these are my triggers to do 10. I don't even REALIZE I do it half the time lol.

#16 of 25 Old 07-19-2010, 06:00 PM

I've been sleeping with a body pillow between my knees and the rest of it wrapped up underneath me. It has really helped. I get up once to go to the bathroom and then switch to my other side.

Janine, wife to Mark, mom to Ashlyn (11), Julianna (9), Andrew (3)
#17 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 01:58 AM

I slept last night all the way through for the first time in a couple of months. I actually got 8 hours sleep!
I'm just sleeping with a pillow under my head. I have a tempurpedic mattress and I swear it's making this sleeping thing soooo much better. I have a habit of taking antacids before going to bed and going to the bathroom at the last possible minute before dozing off (I like to read or watch tv before sleep). Most of the time it gets me to 3:00 or so before needing the bathroom.

Married to a wonderful man and we have 1 adorable baby girl (8/30/2010) and 2 furbabies.
#18 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 04:09 AM

Well my lo still wakes as much as 2x a night so I'm not usually lucky enough to find out how long I might be able to sleep without waking. It helps to pee before it is so urgent I'm worried I won't make it to the bathroom though!

I sleep in the 4 positions - mostly on my belly left leg up, right leg up, fully on the right side, or fully on the left side. If I'm fully on my side, I use a pillow from my knees to my ankles so it doesn't tweak my hips. Every time I wake up I rotate through. It doesn't make sleeping comfortable, and I sound like a tibetan yak as I try maneuver off very very stiff in hips, but I don't have lasting pain in the morning so thats what matters.

I'm getting right to the point where I have to sleep at the edge of the bed so I can get myself out.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#19 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 01:32 PM

Somehow last night I slept so hard that all I remember this morning is DH telling me I'm funny when I'm tired (Well... he told me to have a good day and I told him he sounded like a Walmart greeter!)

#20 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
Pillows. Pillows. Pillows. I also lay on the other side every time I get up to pee. Which about every hour.
I am using 4 or 5 pillows right now, which is a major pain when I wake up and need to pee URGENTLY, or i have a terrible cramp and need to get up and stretch asap, but yeah. I use this same strategy of pillows and flipping sides every time I get up and it helps.

I have started seeing a massage therapist (OMG, she is amazing!) every 2 weeks (will start every week at 36 weeks) and she has this amazing Leachco pregnancy pillow. I have thought about getting one for awhile, but I think I am going to just stop procrastinating and do it now. 5 pillows is so unruly and they don't support as well as this one.

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#21 of 25 Old 07-20-2010, 08:49 PM

I'm another who uses body pillows. Love 'em!

Also, like a PP, I find that getting up to pee in the night, even if I don't think I have to, makes a world of difference for how comfortable I can get.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#22 of 25 Old 07-21-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

I slept on my back last night (well, more like semi-reclined--a bunch of pillows propping me up behind my back/head, a few underneath my knees/feet) and it was *heavenly.* I stopped doing it a week or so ago because I was waking up in the morning with pains along the lower part of my stomach/uterus (I'm thinking from the pressure of being pulled down by gravity on both sides?), but I decided that sleep was worth the discomfort. Sure enough, slept deeply all night (only got up once to pee!), but then had to deal with waiting for my muscles to de-cramp or realign (or whatever it is they're doing) so I could stand up straight.

As for the bathroom thing--I have a tiny bladder and drink a ton of water, so getting up to pee at least once during the night was pretty standard for me anyway, so the whole pregnancy pee thing doesn't really bother me. Hooray for a lifetime of tiny bladder training!

#23 of 25 Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 PM

My other pregnancies, it's been my hips. This pregnancy it's my shoulders. Not sure what that's about but it's the same exact pain I typically get in my hips while sleeping but instead I get it in the shoulder I'm laying on. Weird.

Also, I was sleeping all night without peeing until just this week! It's interesting to hear I'm not the only one. This is baby #4 and I've always had to get up several times a night to pee once I'm mid 2nd tri or so. This time, it's only starting now at 34 weeks!
#24 of 25 Old 07-24-2010, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Get a Tempur-pedic mattress. I remember all those aches and pains from my first pregnancy with a regular mattress, but since we got a Tempur-pedic 5 years ago, I have no pains whatsoever and can even sleep on my belly (and I am huge.)

Plus, when the baby is born, you can get in and out of bed without disturbing anyone else (like the wine glass in the commercial.)

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#25 of 25 Old 07-24-2010, 03:53 PM

We've got tempurpedic, and it might be better than a spring mattress, but there are still mornings (like this morning) where I REALLY hurt when I get up. Unfortunately it seems to just be something to deal with for a few more weeks.

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page