RRL tea... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who is starting it now?

I have some sitting here beside me, my midwife suggested I start drinking it at 34 weeks (tomorrow) but I am a little wary after reading how it made some peoples contractions worse, and considering I'm already prodromal I do NOT want to throw myself into preterm labor!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#2 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 PM

I've been drinking it on and off whole pregnancy, the mix w alfalfa and all. I say give it a try and if things are intense after you can always just not drink it again.

Likes a little crunch with occasional sogginess~Misty,Mama to L1, L2, L3, L4,L5 and Loving J!
#3 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 07:11 PM

I'm 34 weeks, too, and I think I am going to start later this week (I need to place my order with Mountain Rose Herbs. I never feel Braxton Hicks (if I even have them), and with my first I went two weeks overdue before having a single contraction, and then they never established enough of a pattern to avoid induction. So I'm just going to try it and play it by ear.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#4 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 PM

I brew up (and drink) a gallon of the stuff every day and I have since the beginning of my third trimester. Personally, I've never noticed that it gives me any contractions at all.

The pregnancies in which I've done this have had much less birth/post-partum bleeding than the pregnancies in which I haven't.

Good luck!

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#5 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 PM

I was thinking about this today. I drank it in the first trimester, and petered out on it early in the 2nd trimester. I hesitate to go back to it because I still probably have placenta previa (complete as of a transabdominal ultrasound 2 weeks ago) and really must not go into preterm labor... but honestly I think my chances of that are not particularly high, if my history (DD induced at 42+2, born at 42+6) is anything to go by. That's a big "if," though.

I so, so do not want to have to have a c-section. I wonder if RRL tea is good for post-partum uterine healing.
#6 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikigypsy View Post
I wonder if RRL tea is good for post-partum uterine healing.
I have heard it is. It is one reason I want to drink it.

Does anyone know if it can make the cramping after delivery more bearable? With my second I was in tears every time I nursed him for the first week (and this was after dealing with a pitocin induced labor without an epidural and not feeling much pain at all). I felt like I was being cut in half.

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
#7 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 PM

Yes ma'am... RRL strengthens your uterine muscles and helps to make it more efficient!

"Red Raspberry leaf tea contains a bunch of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin c and calcium and an alkaloid called fragrine, which may help tone the uterus. It can be especially beneficial for women who are planning a vbac (vaginal birth after cesarean) since their uterus was cut open during a c-section. "

Likes a little crunch with occasional sogginess~Misty,Mama to L1, L2, L3, L4,L5 and Loving J!
#8 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

I got some After Pain Relief through the site I got my homebirth kit from... it has Black Haw, Cramp Bark, Motherwort, Catnip and Blue Cohosh and is supposed to make it not hurt so bad. We will see!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#9 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 PM

I took arnica and afterease (? I think that's what it was called) after my last baby and it made a huge difference. The afterpains with my second weren't so bad, but my third. Whew. WAY worse than labor.

Thanks for reminding me of that. . I can't wait.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#10 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
I took arnica and afterease (? I think that's what it was called) after my last baby and it made a huge difference. The afterpains with my second weren't so bad, but my third. Whew. WAY worse than labor.

Thanks for reminding me of that. . I can't wait.
Sorry

It is seriously more scary to me than labor/deliver is right now. I had the nurses bringing me motrin practically on a timer last time and still was holding back tears.

Scary.

#11 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

So I decided to start the RRL before bed, because if it DOES induce contractions maybe laying there and relaxing will help them go away.

Unfortunately, I also stepped on my cat and tripped myself... so now I don't know if the contractions are from the tea or from the trauma of falling. In either case, gonna go lay down and try to fall asleep. If I manage to sleep, it means the contractions went away. If not... well I'm just gonna hope they do.

#12 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 PM

Lol. No biggie. I had just got myself talked into calmness about the birth...hehehe.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#13 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 11:17 PM

I was doing well before vacation, but I've been slacking. I need to pick back up--my doula also said she believes it helps with the strength of the amniotic sac, and since we don't want ROM with all these positional issues, hey, I'm in! She said 40oz a day at least, can't make it too strong. Now to the herb store...

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#14 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 PM

DDCC to say that I was told by my midwife that there is some evidence that RRL works to balance whatever is happening with your uterus. She actually suggested I increase my drinking of it to see if it would tone down the BH I'm having.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#15 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Probably due to the vitamin C content... i was told (by my midwife and doctor) vitamin C in the right dosage help prevents PROM by making the amniotic sac stronger.

#16 of 42 Old 08-02-2010, 11:29 PM

i just started it a week or so ago, not drinking it every day and not very strong.. i make iced tea with it and keep it in the fridge. (i'm drinking earth mama angel baby 3rd trimester tea, so there is other stuff in there and it tastes great compared to regular rrlt)

the first day it seemed to cause more contractions but hasn't bothered me since then..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#17 of 42 Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 AM

I've been drinking it since TTC and all through my pregnancy. I make it a little stronger now and have worked up to 3 cups a day. My third trimester brew is 1 T per cup, brewed for 10 minutes (sometimes longer since I forget). I make about 8 cups and chill it. I don't get any contractions from it.
I plan on making a superbrew for the birth just in case I need/want to get things moving. I need to skim the RRL tribe over at the pregnancy forum to find the recipe again...unless anyone know it???

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#18 of 42 Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 AM

I'm going to start tomorrow at 35 weeks. I haven't really been feeling much in the way of BH, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when I drink the tea.

I just have some RRL tea bags that I bought from Whole Foods. I figure I'll start with those, and then can always ramp up and buy some online.

When I asked one of the OBs at the practice where I go about the tea, she had no idea what I was talking about...

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#19 of 42 Old 08-03-2010, 09:43 AM

I've been drinking a mixture of RRL, oatgrass, alfalfa, nettles, lemon balm, spearmint, and ginger root pretty much since this pregnancy began, I drink 2+ quarts a day (brewing 1/4 herbs in 2 quarts of water for 20 minutes or more). My MW thinks that RRL is beneficial to women during all phases of life, not just during pregnancy...I dunno, I think it's yummy and as I am vbac-ing I am all for doing anything to make it easier/better

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#20 of 42 Old 08-03-2010, 10:39 AM

I was drinking RRL tea before I got pregnant and stopped during my first trimester. I have since gone back to drinking it, but I brew it in my teapots with strainers, let it do its thing overnight, then keep it iced in the fridge. I have not experienced any braxton hicks from drinking it, but I have been having crazy braxton hicks during the early part of my day before I have any tea at all.

I do just the straight RRL with a little agave nectar thrown in to sweeten it up.

I plan on checking out the main RRLT tribe and finding the recipe for the strong brew to do when labor begins.

SAHM to one precious 2 year old and wife to my loving DH. And here we go again!
****5****10****15****20****25**joy.gif*30****35****40
#21 of 42 Old 08-03-2010, 12:32 PM

I've been drinking it since before my first pregnancy six years ago. I just tend to vary the amounts, adding more when I need it (pregnancy, end of pregnancy). It will not make you go into labor. I have experienced very little postpartum bleeding and maybe it can be attributed to the tea. However, I drank it faithfully in both of my last pregnancies and while I had a short first labor my second was more than four times as long and I was drinking just as much tea. Also, in my second labor I drank the steaming hot pint that you all have mentioned and it did nothing for me except make me want to throw up. My labor was ten times more painful than my first! Also, it did nothing to help afterpains. I had them after my first birth, which is fairly rare, and they were horrible after my second birth, even with AfterEase. Ugh, just dreading the afterpains....

Anyway, I will continue with my tea because I like the taste and if it does help with bleeding that is a bonus.
#22 of 42 Old 08-03-2010, 01:50 PM

I think that I may wait until 36 weeks to start, just to feel more at ease about it. I need to track some down first too lol.

#23 of 42 Old 08-03-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

I bought mine on luckyvitamins.com but thats where i get most of my stuff.

I do not know whether or not the RRL made my contractions worse as I stepped on my kitty last night (kitty is just fine and has been terrorizing the kitten all day) and threw myself into contractions from the resulting fall. Still getting them, irregular... varying in severity, length, length apart...

Ended up dreaming about tidal waves all night, terrified to wake up in full blown labor but no... thank goodness.

#24 of 42 Old 08-03-2010, 01:57 PM

does it taste good?

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#25 of 42 Old 08-03-2010, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

mine was delicious with a bit of honey (in comparison to my usual sleepy time vanilla i have before bed) I drank it a bit fast because it did taste quite good.

#26 of 42 Old 08-03-2010, 02:27 PM

I get mine here http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Mamas-Red-Raspberry-Brew
And agree it tastes yummy! I usually add a bit of honey.

#27 of 42 Old 08-03-2010, 03:44 PM

I harvested my current batch from the wild raspberry plants at the back of my property and I think it's yummy iced with lemon.

and 2 rescued greyhounds
#28 of 42 Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 AM

I've been drinking it mixed with nettles since first trimester as well.

Now off to research Afterease... afterpains with DD were minimal but I know they get worse the more babies you have!

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#29 of 42 Old 08-07-2010, 09:23 AM

I didn't have to look too far to find the super brew recipe. It was in the OP of the RRL thread at the pregnancy forum:

(from the RRL tea story)
"It was not until sometimes after the birth of my daughter that I read a book my mother had brought with her from Scotland entitled Dragged to Light by W.H. Box of Plymouth, England. In it I found the secret of just how to take the tea so it would truly work wonders during labor and delivery. Box said, 'On one ounce of raspberry leaves pour one pint of boiling water, cover and let steep for 30 minutes. Strain, and when the time for delivery is approaching drink the whole as hot as possible.'

Now my question: I don't have a scale that sensitive. Can anyone weigh 1 oz of RRL and tell me what it looks likes in cups???

and 2 rescued greyhounds
#30 of 42 Old 08-07-2010, 12:27 PM

foodmachine - If you buy 1 lb of the loose leaves, devide it into 16 and that's 1 oz. each.

Mommy2chloerae- I also bought my tea from bulkherbstore.com. I heard that it's much cheaper there then other online sites. I've read different places that drinking the tea after the birth is supposed to help with the afterbirth pains. It's also supposed to be good for cramping during periods. My MW recommended Cat Nip Tea for afterbirth pains too.

aikigypsy - My MIL had a couple C-sections and she said healing after was much faster when she drank the RRL tea compared to the C-section when she didn't drink any before.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page