The One Weekly Chat - August (I keep forgetting to start a new one!) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 683 Old 08-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for beating PUPPPs!

I had a few contractions last night. They were somewhere between BH and a contraction, actually, but I felt that familiar upward pull on my cervix while they were going on. Definitely not just BH. They actually took a little concentration at the peak. I went through weeks of this (just a few a night, starting to get more and more as the time goes on) with both of my other pregnancies, though....so probably still a couple of weeks left.

...wish dh understood that it really might be SOON, though. He's on day two of his "me time" (baseball game, golfing)...which we agreed upon weeks ago...but all of a sudden I'm looking around the house in a complete panic. I have about 10 projects going right now, the house hasn't been cleaned in two weeks, he has a few major house projects going on, and our basement is still a disorganized mess (which is where the playroom is...kinda need that in shape before baby arrives).

35 weeks today. I would really, really, really like to have a 38-40 weeker, though...supposedly they're better sleepers and nurse better, right?

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#62 of 683 Old 08-05-2010, 12:08 PM

...I should add, despite the panic, what are we doing today? Going to the beach.

I think that's one of the "hardest" things about being at this stage of pregnancy with several kids already. It's not just a long list of baby-prep, house-prep, and projects that your nesting mind NEEDS to get done...it's also a whole host of family activities you really, really, really want to see come true before baby arrives. And let's face it...a family activity almost always takes up every free moment of a day. So yeah...beach today, and I can pretty much guarantee that nothing else is going to happen.

Anyone else feel like they can get one good thing done in a day? I love being pregnant, but I'm looking forward to having my old, hugely capable, wildly productive self back again.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#63 of 683 Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
35 weeks today. I would really, really, really like to have a 38-40 weeker, though...supposedly they're better sleepers and nurse better, right?
My 36-weeker nursed like a champ from day 1, and slept great for the first three months. As in 5-6 hours at a stretch.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#64 of 683 Old 08-05-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

my 40w3d nursed like a champ and slept through the night...

my 39w2d or so had a few latch-on problems and was weird about sleeping more than 3 hours at a time.

Its more on the baby themselves than when they are born, I think!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1501802_n.jpg <---my 6 week old second cousin! Shes well enough to be held on a regular basis by people other than mommy doing kangaroo care... but still too tiny to go home (but, her mommy would only be 32 weeks along at this point)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#65 of 683 Old 08-05-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Chick View Post
I think I'm the only pregnant chick (aside from her other moms) who has her pants on until THE day. lol.
I was checked when I was having contractions at 29 weeks, but otherwise, I'm in the same place as you. The nurse asked if I wanted the midwife to check me last week, and I just said no. No plans to be checked at all until I'm ready to be admitted to the hospital, so I get to keep my pants on too.

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
#66 of 683 Old 08-05-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I was checked constantly with my last two. Certainly did me no good.

This one, the midwife has asked if I wanted her to and I asked her if there was honestly anything it could tell her we do not already know (I am effacing and slightly dilated... this IS my third baby after all)

But no, nothing.

So the only time shes getting down there before the baby comes is to do my GBS test.

I DID get checked at 27 weeks but I had had bleeding and it wasnt a feeling-for-dilation check but rather a visual check to see if there was something going on in there causing the bleeding (there wasnt, did find out my cervix was funneling then though!)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#67 of 683 Old 08-05-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Anyone else feel like they can get one good thing done in a day? I love being pregnant, but I'm looking forward to having my old, hugely capable, wildly productive self back again.

Except, yesterday I *was* wildly productive, which was weird, because I usually feel like a geriatric slug. Made several batches of vegan zucchini muffins from scratch with one of the enormous zucchinis from our garden, made homemade tomato sauce to freeze from a bunch of the tomatoes from the garden, wrote a bunch of student recommendations, and just generally felt like superwoman...

And then I woke up this morning and wanted to die from exhaustion!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#68 of 683 Old 08-05-2010, 03:03 PM

MP - what a sweet baby! And so glad she's doing well! Awwww.

My MW let me do my GBS test myself, both times. Glad we did it a little earlier with this boy. With DS1, we did the test at my 38 week appt and he was born the next day, well before the results came back. They were neg though.

Ah, that reminds me... my last pee stick was weird. I tried a different technique, where I used a cup and then poured pee over the stick. The sticks are long and I kept getting running dye when I dipped. Well, it did not work so well. Maybe I used too much? But the dye still ran AND my protien and leukocytes came back colors that was not even on the guide! I'm thinking my Floradix and pre-natal enhanced pee might have had something to do with it.
We called it normal, and I'll be doing what I used to at the next ap.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#69 of 683 Old 08-05-2010, 03:03 PM

Also...I haven't really gotten any BH that I could feel in a few weeks. Besides baby kicking up a storm (and punching/pushing on my intestines, which, wow, hurts), it doesn't at all feel like my body's even thinking about preparing for labor.

Does this mean I'm destined to be pregnant until December?

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#70 of 683 Old 08-05-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Chick View Post
MP - what a sweet baby! And so glad she's doing well! Awwww.

My MW let me do my GBS test myself, both times. Glad we did it a little earlier with this boy. With DS1, we did the test at my 38 week appt and he was born the next day, well before the results came back. They were neg though.

Ah, that reminds me... my last pee stick was weird. I tried a different technique, where I used a cup and then poured pee over the stick. The sticks are long and I kept getting running dye when I dipped. Well, it did not work so well. Maybe I used too much? But the dye still ran AND my protien and leukocytes came back colors that was not even on the guide! I'm thinking my Floradix and pre-natal enhanced pee might have had something to do with it.
We called it normal, and I'll be doing what I used to at the next ap.
pouring it on could mix the dye from one with another a lot easier, causing completely abnormal colors (it forces the dye from one part to another a lot easier while dipping it, it may run a little but is not forced out of the little sponge-like part)

#71 of 683 Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Lit chick - how old is your DS? I'm pondering the presence of DD.
MP _ that baby is so great!
ROM - one good thing a day has been motto for a while now. We went to beach too. Now I'm wiped out.

Regarding the other stuff on the thread: I don't know if I'll get checked at all even on the day. It only broke my spirit last time to know I "wasn't progressing".
"My baby will come at the perfect time for him or her and I WILL be patient." -Hypnobabies

No BH here either, so maybe I'm should be in the December DDC too.

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#72 of 683 Old 08-05-2010, 04:40 PM

foodmachine - I think the only reason I got checked was to see if I was progressing as fast as it seemed, or if I was just being dramatic. I wasn't being dramatic. lol

My DS is really close to your DD - born 11/29/07. He's very precocious though. Easy going personality, adaptable, and easily comforted (unless he's mad). He saw his birth vid, and seeing me yelp freaked him out a bit, but not in a bad way - he got quiet and clingy, but with reassurance that I was OK he was fine. And we've been reading books and watching other birth vids - we started with the sweet ones with quiet moms, and then I found some louder ones, and he does well.

When he was worried about me when we watched our video, I told him that having a baby was a lot like pushing out stuck poopers. That's something he could understand. Stuck poopers hurt a little, and they can make you upset and cry, but they come out and then it's OK. He had bad constipation a little before we started watching the videos, and to help him with that I had him get on his hands and knees, and rock, and hold on my hands... and it worked. So when he saw that on the vids, it was relatable.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#73 of 683 Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 AM

All of my computers had blue screened so I haven't been on in a while.

All is quiet here. I thought I had gained some weight, but weighed in again at 183.2 today - so that was kind of disappointing.

Anyone know where I can buy 3t husky pants? I hate to buy these and the "label" that comes with them. My father says to just buy the kid pants that fit (I used to have an ED so I'm sensitive about weight, to put it mildly, plus pregnant, oh my).

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#74 of 683 Old 08-06-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
All of my computers had blue screened so I haven't been on in a while.

All is quiet here. I thought I had gained some weight, but weighed in again at 183.2 today - so that was kind of disappointing.

Anyone know where I can buy 3t husky pants? I hate to buy these and the "label" that comes with them. My father says to just buy the kid pants that fit (I used to have an ED so I'm sensitive about weight, to put it mildly, plus pregnant, oh my).

Liz
Try SEARS. And think "big and strong", not "fat", when you hear "husky". You know, "strapping young man."

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#75 of 683 Old 08-06-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
Try SEARS. And think "big and strong", not "fat", when you hear "husky". You know, "strapping young man."
FWIW thats what I always thought it meant, never thought it was fat... just large, like muscular. LOL

#76 of 683 Old 08-06-2010, 11:06 PM

Husband took a vacation day today because work was slow, and we've been doing To-Do List

Got the tub re-enameled, which was huge. It had lots of rust spots. Now it looks brand-new. Can't wait to take a bath... of course since you have to let it set for THREE DAYS that won't be until Monday. We're going to have to go to his mom's house (only a few miles away) to shower this weekend.

Got the mattress for Em. Now all I need to do is to get a dresser in there and the "kids room" is completed and we may start transitioning Em to her own bed. Which is kind of making me sad. But there's no way I want to co-sleep both of them (Em and husband both violent sleepers, plus Em sleeps really lightly and I'm not trying to have her wake up every time the baby wakes up throughout the night). We got a twin-size mattress and put it on the floor, so it will be a familiar type of bed, plus one of us can lay down and snuggle with her if she wakes up in the night.

Got paint for the kitchen, husband is going to paint tomorrow in there and do a million other little to-do list things in there. So, hopefully, by the end of the weekend we'll have a completed kids' room, a completed kitchen, a half-completed bathroom (that already looks SO much better than when we moved in).

I'm still overwhelmed but at least progress is being made. And if I can pick up a dresser from craig's list this weekend, I'll finally allow myself to wash, sort, and fold all of the baby clothes and put them away.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#77 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 PM

A friend commented that the baby should be about 4lbs now, then said that she couldn't imagine me getting any bigger.

I know it wasn't meant in a mean way but it hurt my feelings and now I'm feeling down.

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
#78 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2chloerae View Post
A friend commented that the baby should be about 4lbs now, then said that she couldn't imagine me getting any bigger.

I know it wasn't meant in a mean way but it hurt my feelings and now I'm feeling down.
*hug*

well, at least she was right about how big baby should be right now...

but I know you can get bigger! Ive been there... lol

Im actually kind of depressed right now because Im NOT that big, well compared to my body. Makes me really anxious to start losing weight after Mae gets here. Once my SPD wears off after the birth we plan on doing family walks every night, plus my breastfeeding, plus eating healthy... I was doing a mile walk and eating healthy pre-pregnancy and lost over 10 lbs... so add in breastfeeding and that weight should (I hope) just melt right off.

Especially since we know this time to watch my thyroid VERY closely!

#79 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
*hug*

well, at least she was right about how big baby should be right now...

but I know you can get bigger! Ive been there... lol

Im actually kind of depressed right now because Im NOT that big, well compared to my body. Makes me really anxious to start losing weight after Mae gets here. Once my SPD wears off after the birth we plan on doing family walks every night, plus my breastfeeding, plus eating healthy... I was doing a mile walk and eating healthy pre-pregnancy and lost over 10 lbs... so add in breastfeeding and that weight should (I hope) just melt right off.

Especially since we know this time to watch my thyroid VERY closely!
Yeah I was making a comment that I want to keep him in and fatten him up some more and that's when she made the "can't imagine me bigger" comment. Though I told her I don't want to fatten ME up, just him lol and that he has plenty of room to get bigger already.

It came after I had just commented that I thought he had dropped. I was feeling huge, and now I'm not. I can breathe again. I want to compare pictures but can't find the cord for the camera so I'll have to wait. I don't know if he did drop or if I'm just getting used to being this size lol.

I've seen your belly and it's beautiful

I'm already anxious about weight-loss after too. I'm almost up 40 lbs (and on a 5'2" frame that is a lot) and was just a few pounds shy of my "goal weight" right before conceiving (I seem to become really fertile when my weight is in that range though, so maybe I shouldn't be in a hurry lol) so watching me go from eating really well, to trying but having aversions and cravings has been difficult.

I guess I'm at the point in pregnancy where I just want to hear "you look so great, you're glowing!" even if I'm not lol.

#80 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 04:37 PM

mommy2cr- I'm with you. I just wish I could stop hearing about it. The baby will come when the baby comes...and I'm actually not huge. Whatever.

We went to see our puppy today. Another week or 2 and we'll bring him home. He's so fuzzy and sweet. The one I've picked has decided that I'm a safety zone, and will come to me and curl up in my lap. I'm so excited.

However, it turns out that dh will be gone at a school (95% arranged) shortly after the baby is born. FOR TWO MONTHS. So, I'm still married to a Marine. Yep. That's right. I'm working myself through the mental gyrations of a newborn and a puppy, AND 3 other children (5 and under), AND the managing of an entire household. One that does not include trash service. Humph.

But, in a way, I'm very happy. Dh is, too. This is our life and we LOVE it. Crazy, huh? We both do well with a little excitement, and a little pressure. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#81 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Aww!

DH called me several months ago (before we got married) and asked if it would be okay for him to go to school... which I was all for, until silly him told me it was August to November!

UH, no, hun, your child will not be here by August first! LOL

At least he got this 2 week TAD to make him happy and give him one last get-away before baby comes.

Maybe in November/December/January if they start up the classes again he will be able to go!

#82 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 05:44 PM

Arg!
I want to DTD alll the time , and yet it gives me/ makes worse sciatica. Which DH obviously picks up on being from DTD and is therefore less likely to go along with
AND I know I'm totally turning him off since it is hard to segue from my constant baby blather and preggo complaints into sexay times. (why do i not STFU with the baby talk??)

I have a feeling this whole weekend is going to be me either feeling preggo miserable or *ehem* unfulfilled.
#83 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
...I should add, despite the panic, what are we doing today? Going to the beach.

I think that's one of the "hardest" things about being at this stage of pregnancy with several kids already.
ITA.
my body would like nothing more than to lounge and read and sip a slurpee all day.
But what did I do this week? 1 full day at sea world, and another taking the kids to a spring fed swimming hole and full picnic lunch.

wow my rear is killing me!

I just don't want to confine the kids to being home doing nothing all the time just because I'm pregnant.
#84 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryknowlicious View Post
Arg!
I want to DTD alll the time , and yet it gives me/ makes worse sciatica. Which DH obviously picks up on being from DTD and is therefore less likely to go along with
AND I know I'm totally turning him off since it is hard to segue from my constant baby blather and preggo complaints into sexay times. (why do i not STFU with the baby talk??)

I have a feeling this whole weekend is going to be me either feeling preggo miserable or *ehem* unfulfilled.
*sigh* I could have written this. It's so depressing.

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#85 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

it hurts to DTD but for the most part I don't let DH know. because its bad enough going these two weeks without it and the 6 postpartum...

I'm trying to figure out how to be as sexy-pregnant as possible when he gets home so I don't have to beg for it!

#86 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
We went to see our puppy today. Another week or 2 and we'll bring him home. He's so fuzzy and sweet. The one I've picked has decided that I'm a safety zone, and will come to me and curl up in my lap. I'm so excited.
Don't let my husband read this! He's desperate to get a puppy, our beloved dog died earlier this summer. I won't let DH get a dog until next summer at the earliest. Puppy's are so needy, as bad as a newborn. I can't fathom doing both at the same time! Let alone with 3 other kids under 5 and a DH out of town. OMG. You are super mom! I only have two other kids, and DD is rounding the corner on 7, she is very helpful and DH will be home.

And then all you ladies DTD? Umm, no thanks. I'm saving any energy for that until I'm like 38 weeks and ready to get the baby out. In the meantime, yeah, not happening!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#87 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 07:55 PM

I just realized that I've been spending all this time washing clothes, planning meals, organizing, etc and never thought once about packing a bag for the hospital.

I guess I should get on that.

#88 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
And then all you ladies DTD? Umm, no thanks. I'm saving any energy for that until I'm like 38 weeks and ready to get the baby out. In the meantime, yeah, not happening!
I figure getting a shot of prostaglandins up there on my cervix every day or two will help me get ready for labor LOL

#89 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Grr. I'm still on pelvic rest. I am not letting myself even think about DTD. I know there's "other stuff" we can do, but I don't want to get my libido cranking when I know I can't...
#90 of 683 Old 08-07-2010, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikigypsy View Post
Grr. I'm still on pelvic rest. I am not letting myself even think about DTD. I know there's "other stuff" we can do, but I don't want to get my libido cranking when I know I can't...
awww

that really sucks. I was on pelvic rest through my wedding so I TOTALLY understand how frustrating it gets.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page