The One Weekly Chat - August (I keep forgetting to start a new one!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The place for all the random chat that does not need its own thread.

Everyone is welcome to join in!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

we can make it another week or two before any of these little ones come!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 PM

If everyone is willing to wait until August 12th, I'll volunteer to go first. I'll be 36 weeks that day.

Seriously, though, I'm feeling much better. I think I've finally recovered from a hard trip, moving, and then breaking my toe. My toe is pretty sore tonight, though. This is the first day I've been up a lot without the supporting shoe on. It's not the broken part that hurts. It's the joint that was dislocated that hurts. A few more weeks and it should be healed...and at least it's not keeping me awake at night anymore.

I made a great discovery today! I found the baby girl 0-3 month clothes and realized lots of them were for fall. I had forgotten that, while I've had 2 spring girls, the clothes that had been handed down to me were from fall babies! I had just made stuff work for the spring. Yeah! I need less than I thought. Much less, actually. (If it's a boy, which I think it is, my friend gave me her last baby's clothes...he was born last October. ) I'm set! What a relief!

Have I mentioned I love my swiffer? We had company yesterday, and today I discovered a sticky spot of watermelon on the floor. Squirt, squirt. Swiff, swiff. Done. After supper tonight, I accidently bumped my cup and sent the last bit of my root beer () on the floor. Squirt, squirt...done! Yeah!

Oh! And a night or two ago, dh asked if we needed to buy more diapers for the baby. Rather, he said, "We should probably get some diapers for the baby, right?" I was honest and said I thought we were okay, but a few more would be helpful, especially since we're using the clothesline now. He said to get whatever I wanted. That's fun!

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

im about to break down and start crying

he has only been gone 4 hours longer than he would have on a normal night and i NEED my husband home

my kids are misbehaving

and i just stepped on the cat on my way to bed in the dark and to avoid breaking her ribs, I let up off that foot and ended up tripping myself and now I hurt really bad

plus I have scratches all over my feet from her trying to tell me to get off, she couldn't even meow I feel HORRIBLE

Old 08-03-2010, 12:01 AM

Mae...it's hard getting used to the in and out bit of being a Marine Wife. Deployments are easier as long as they don't get to make much contact. You can get in your groove then. But home, gone, home, gone...really can wear on you.

I've found it's best to play by different rules. I do a lot to prevent getting worn out or stressed. I purposefully bite of very small chunks of things to do, or reconcile myself to actually accomplishing nothing. My favorite quote from another wife during a deployment (she had 5 kids), "When I'm in the bathtub crying my eyes out, I figure that if poptarts are good enough for breakfast, then they're good enough for supper." Yep. Do what you gotta do, and don't feel guilty about it.

As far as the kids, even as little as mine are, I level with them. I say something like, "You are grumpy because Daddy is not home tonight. You are used to playing with him and you are mad because he isn't here tonight. You aren't being nice to Mama or your brother (sister) because you want Daddy home. Daddy has to work. He loves you, and I love you. We are a family and you have to stop acting like that." Mine tend to snap out of pretty fast after I lay it on the line.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 AM

MP and Just1More: Sorry that things are so tough right now. I hope you feel better, both physically and emotionally!

This week I received two batches of fluffy mail! So exciting! Now my stash is looking more complete--several more covers, a few more fitteds, and two BG 3.0s that were on sale. They all look so adorable right now...hard to believe they're designed to hold some nasty stuff...

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 AM

Well, that settles it. I do not think that I will be working after this week. I was going to do another full week before taking off, but I do not think I can.
I was feeling guilty too, but you know what? This is probably my last pregnancy and I should NOT push it and be miserable.
I'm getting more BH, I am nauseous, feeling a teeny bit crampy, and perhaps just started to lose my plug. Unless that was just run-of-the-mill discharge.

But anyway... I am on a TINY four person team, plus a manager. My manager's manager is on FMLA, so she's covering for him. So I've been doing a little more for her. Top producing co-worker got unexpectedly very ill, and might not be back anytime soon. Temp is... well, somewhat reliable, but kind of flaky. Manager was sick yesterday, not sure if she'll be around today. Other co-worker just called in sick, with a "hopefully I will be back tomorrow".

So, that means today it's just me in terms of the main work.

Aaaand, well - I can handle it today, but I am on the verge of losing it - I've been crying daily since Friday.

Midwife visit today....

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 08-03-2010, 11:59 AM

Just1More - sorry about the toe - but yay for baby clothes and diapers!

MP - I'm sorry things weren't going well last night. I hope today is a better day. And how's the kitty?

Laurski - Yay for fluffy mail! I've been trying to decide if I want to buy premium prefolds now or wait a bit. My mom and sis are visiting this weekend and maybe I will see if they want to check out the cloth diaper store in town.

LitChick - that really stinks! Hope you can take the time you need and not have to deal with the stress before baby arrives!

AFM -
Found out on Friday that my sis is pregnant! Not very far along at all, but we are super excited as this is her first bio child. (My step nephew will be 16 this fall) The cousins will be close in age. Now if my brother would just get on the trolley we could have a whole bunch of babies around. Not seriously though, he is unmarried and in a semi unstable relationship. I'm not sure if he is capable of a stable one.

Also, DH went out for a beer after work last night with our friend whose wife had a baby three months ago. They are cloth diapering as well and the friend said they are going through 6 or 7 diapers a day and the wife only does diaper laundry once every three days or so. Is this normal? I thought that at this stage there would be many more wet/dirty diapers than 6 or 7 in a whole day. Maybe they don't change her for every pee and others do? I'm new to this whole baby bodily functions thing, so any explanation would be appreciated.

SAHM to one precious 2 year old and wife to my loving DH. And here we go again!
****5****10****15****20****25**joy.gif*30****35****40
Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis View Post
Also, DH went out for a beer after work last night with our friend whose wife had a baby three months ago. They are cloth diapering as well and the friend said they are going through 6 or 7 diapers a day and the wife only does diaper laundry once every three days or so. Is this normal? I thought that at this stage there would be many more wet/dirty diapers than 6 or 7 in a whole day. Maybe they don't change her for every pee and others do? I'm new to this whole baby bodily functions thing, so any explanation would be appreciated.
Maybe they are doing EC? I know that at three months, my daughter was going through more like 15-20 diapers a day, and I was washing every day. I did change her as soon as she would pee/poop, because otherwise she would get a rash.

I'm actually feeling better today than I have the past two days. Less contractions/backache. I took a big nap yesterday and then slept pretty well last night, so that may be helping. My 33-week appointment is in about an hour, I should probably get my butt up and get ready while Em is still napping. MIL should be over soon to watch Em while I'm at my appointment. I'm considering washing the dishes.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Old 08-03-2010, 01:12 PM

I was reading the update for the pregnant after a loss ladies and I realize that despite never having experienced a loss myself, so many of their fears are things that plague me. I am naturally a worrier, but I find that I am too informed about what could happen to just relax. I wish I were more ignorant sometimes about birth or that I could just be zen about the whole thing, and I do have my really good days where I know baby will come when s/he is ready and will be healthy and strong. It's just the other days where I let myself think about the possibilities.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Dont hurt so much today but did have dreams about tidal waves that made me terrified to wake up in labor.

I dont think im in labor but I AM still having contractions.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:12 PM

Last night I had an erotic dream, and woke up with quite the contraction. Kind of ruined the fun.

And my day just keeps getting crabbier. Was I this PO'ed at this stage with #1 and have momnesia?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:27 PM

Kelly1101: Hope your appointment is blessedly boring!

Louis: Congratulations for you and your sister!
I think it is perfectly normal to worry about what could happen, even in a healthy and "normal" pregnancy, because there are so many things to worry about! I think the more I know about the birthing process, the better I feel about the whole thing. So when my tummy tightens up I know it's BH, and when the baby is jerking around in there for 20 minutes I know he has the hiccups. These are things that would terrify me if I hadn't allowed myself the opportunity to learn and research this crucial time in our lives.

MP: I'm glad you are feeling better today! Is it normal to have contractions when you are prodromal?

Lit Chick: You should definitely stop working if you feel that it is getting too stressfull for you! And no wonder you are crying, it sounds so very stressfull!
Erotic dreams... Do you think that is a preggo thing? Because I have had more during this pregnancy than I remember having my entire life!

I have a question... Does anyone here know how to do a poll? I have a moral dilema and would like to post a pole, just to see how others would react to the situation, but have no idea how to do it or where to post it!?!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

prodromal IS having contractions lol... so yes, pretty normal. They just arent beneficial contractions that end with baby in my arms.

and yeah, my dream last night was sexual too, but mostly all I remember is the tidal waves as they were present in every dream i had last night!

Old 08-03-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
prodromal IS having contractions lol... so yes, pretty normal. They just arent beneficial contractions that end with baby in my arms.
I guess I could do some research, but how are they different from BH? I am very sorry, it really doesn't sound like fun.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby~Braatens~Mama View Post
I guess I could do some research, but how are they different from BH? I am very sorry, it really doesn't sound like fun.
braxton hicks go away... mine just get lighter, but still there. Like right now, Im having them but they arent horribly noticeable. In about an hour when I start to make supper they will get stronger... if I had the energy to clean the livingroom it could make them so strong I feel like Im actually going into labor.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis View Post
I was reading the update for the pregnant after a loss ladies and I realize that despite never having experienced a loss myself, so many of their fears are things that plague me. I am naturally a worrier, but I find that I am too informed about what could happen to just relax. I wish I were more ignorant sometimes about birth or that I could just be zen about the whole thing, and I do have my really good days where I know baby will come when s/he is ready and will be healthy and strong. It's just the other days where I let myself think about the possibilities.
I'm very much the same way. I have to really make an effort to calm/de-stress/tell myself to think positively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby~Braatens~Mama View Post
I have a question... Does anyone here know how to do a poll? I have a moral dilema and would like to post a pole, just to see how others would react to the situation, but have no idea how to do it or where to post it!?!
When you go to "post a new thread", there should be a box you can click at the bottom that says "post a poll with this thread" or something like that. Check the box, enter how many options you want, then click "post new thread" (after typing the text for the first post). It will take you to a new page to create your poll to go with the thread.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Thank you!!!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just need a little whine ..

I totally hate going to my midwife appts. They keep me waiting with a toddler for 40 minutes, then ask me if I'm eating iron rich foods, and which foods, at every appt - it feels like a quiz of whether I know which foods are rich in iron. After that, I get a speech EVERY SINGLE TIME about how I need to stop carrying/picking up my 2 year old. Uhm okay - are you going to come carry him? No? Well then..

Then today the midwife was wiggling the baby's head in my pelvis for what felt like forever, totally screwed up my hips and now I can barely walk. I kinda needed to walk today so I'm extremely bitter at having this extra pain so she could check for herself that the baby was head down even though it is a.) not a big deal even if she wasn't @ 32 weeks and b.) I could have just told her the exact position myself.

I'm so SO over this.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM

to everyone!

It seems like we are all in the grumpy tired phase of pregnancy. Thankfully this phase is the 'shortest' time wise, but the grumpiness does make it seem like forever.

I'm in a similar boat too. I just want to be left alone and to actually SLEEP. And not clean. Or cook, or really, do anything. I just want to go and nest up somewhere and relax for the next few weeks. And then I start thinking about how little is actually ready for this new baby, and I get all panicky on top of angry. I must say, I am a fun person to be around.

Yesterday was interesting. After my afternoon nap, I woke up with my right eye being totally blurry. Since I had mild, term preeclampsia with ds2, they wanted me to come in and get checked. It was so fun, I started a thread about it in the main 'I'm pregnant' board.

So now, on top of my grumpy self, I get to pee in a little bucket and pour that into a container that I have to keep in the fridge. Ah, 24hr urine test, how I loathe thee. I do not like peeing in a bucket. It's gross. And I am constantly worried I'll pee too much. I do not like pouring it into the container. I do not like it being in the fridge. In fact, I keep wondering who came up with such a gross test. I can see it now: "You know John, I think having a person store their pee for a whole day is an EXCELLENT test. No further research for a better, more hygienic test needed. I mean, it's not like pregnant women have anything else to do. Har har har"

My right eye is completely better too. I think I was just too tired yesterday. I fell asleep on the couch almost as soon as I sat down, that's how tired I was. However, since my BP was all over the place, I am now being watched like a hawk. Nothing like stressed out OBs stressing out a pregnant mama.

Did I mention that peeing in a bucket is GROSS??? I now know what I make my poor cat go through with a litter box. I am so sorry, Jewels. So sorry.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

I posted this in the belly pic thread but hehe I just love it so much I wanna post it here too!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5742911_n.jpg

a pic I took today, for thinkgeek.com (where I got the shirt from)

Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
So now, on top of my grumpy self, I get to pee in a little bucket and pour that into a container that I have to keep in the fridge. Ah, 24hr urine test, how I loathe thee. I do not like peeing in a bucket. It's gross. And I am constantly worried I'll pee too much. I do not like pouring it into the container. I do not like it being in the fridge. In fact, I keep wondering who came up with such a gross test. I can see it now: "You know John, I think having a person store their pee for a whole day is an EXCELLENT test. No further research for a better, more hygienic test needed. I mean, it's not like pregnant women have anything else to do. Har har har"
AHAHAHA. Seriously, I laugh in sympathy... I had to do that stupid thing not once but TWICE last time. For real. I know how much it sucks.

Hopefully everything calms down, and no more pre-e worries.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 PM

JTA mom- I'm sorry...but that was so funny. Though, when I put myself in your shoes, I would be grumbling and complaining...and probably cancelling my appointment. That's how much I hate stuff like that. In your refrigerator? I mean...seriously. That's just wrong.

Nice picture MP!

Old 08-04-2010, 01:27 AM

Got the car seats in yesterday. It was basically a full weekend job because I decided the cars were gross and disgusting and had to be cleaned before the baby seats went in.

So Saturday pulled all the junk out of the cars and had DH take DD's seats out. I pulled the covers off her seats for the first time and washed them (not so easy to do with Radians). Shook out those heavy seats every which way and tried to get all the crumbs and such (tons of pumpkin seeds) out of the crevices.

Sunday seat covers are still not dry. We got the cars cleaned. DH put in the baby seat bases.

Monday I wrangled the covers back on the seats. DH put DD's seats back in but then had to switch her seat around with the baby seat in his car. DD's nice clean car seats are now completely damp with DH's sweat.

Now I have to put all of our junk back in the cars and should also go get the car seats inspected.

I'm 37 weeks on Monday but perfectly happy to wait another 2 weeks for the little one. DH left town today and won't be back for a week and a half. I'd prefer to have the baby when he is here.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

Old 08-04-2010, 09:27 AM

Ahhhhhh.

Midwife said I need to relax and rest. And thanks to a great short-term disability benefit at work, I will doing exactly that, a little earlier than planned.
My manager will cry a bit, but ah well. Everyone will deal. And I feel much better today knowing I only have to do 3 more before I can just chill out.

Ahhhhh. No more flaky temp. No more irate clients. No more broken applications. Ahhhh.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:50 AM

And today I got my first email (after posting my belly picture on facebook) asking if I was sure there was only one in there and if my doctor had said anything about having to induce because baby's too big.

I guess I should be pleased it's the first time I've gotten that . . .

I just had to gently respond that my midwife hasn't mentioned any concern over baby's size, and if she did mention induction I'd just decline anyway, since the chances of growing a baby too big to give birth to would be extremely small, and that I'm not worried at all.

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
Old 08-04-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifera2 View Post
And today I got my first email (after posting my belly picture on facebook) asking if I was sure there was only one in there and if my doctor had said anything about having to induce because baby's too big.

I guess I should be pleased it's the first time I've gotten that . . .

I just had to gently respond that my midwife hasn't mentioned any concern over baby's size, and if she did mention induction I'd just decline anyway, since the chances of growing a baby too big to give birth to would be extremely small, and that I'm not worried at all.
*ENORMOUS EYE ROLL*

Whatever-- I've seen your pics in the Belly thread, and your belly looks EXACTLY how I looked when carrying my single 7 lb 4 oz baby girl. Not all of us are 5'11". If there is one comment I hate worse than the "Really? You're not due until September?" it's the "Is it twins?"

Although apparently the other side is just as annoying-- my very tall, long-torso cousin, who looked at 36 weeks how I look at 20 weeks, kept getting "you're so TINY, have they checked to make sure the baby's okay?" etc. Which she hated.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
AHAHAHA. Seriously, I laugh in sympathy... I had to do that stupid thing not once but TWICE last time. For real. I know how much it sucks.

Hopefully everything calms down, and no more pre-e worries.
Thanks. This is my second time doing it this pregnancy. Something tells me I have at least one more go of it too, before this little one comes out. Mom's intuition and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
JTA mom- I'm sorry...but that was so funny. Though, when I put myself in your shoes, I would be grumbling and complaining...and probably cancelling my appointment. That's how much I hate stuff like that. In your refrigerator? I mean...seriously. That's just wrong.

Nice picture MP!
Oh yea, the fridge. I *could* put it in a cooler with ice. But then I'd have to change the water. And there is NO way I'm wiping off a soaking wet container of pee. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Baby and toddler pee--whatever. Full on grown up pee, including mine? Ew. Ew. Ew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Chick View Post
Ahhhhhh.

Midwife said I need to relax and rest. And thanks to a great short-term disability benefit at work, I will doing exactly that, a little earlier than planned.
My manager will cry a bit, but ah well. Everyone will deal. And I feel much better today knowing I only have to do 3 more before I can just chill out.

Ahhhhh. No more flaky temp. No more irate clients. No more broken applications. Ahhhh.
Happy you get to basically tell everyone to bugger off! Let the countdown begin!

Maeryn, that's an AWESOME pic. I am amazed though that you have enough of an indent on your belly button to hold the earphone there. Mine is getting waaaaaaay too shallow. I never 'popped' with ds, but this time around.......

And now, I must scream this from the rooftops: I am DONE peeing in a bucket!!!! WOOOOOT!!!! Now to just drop off that container. Please let the ride there be smooth.

Jenifera2
I agree with Kelly. I think people have this idealized view of what a 'heavily' pregnant woman should look like. I mean, all the models in the magazines are usually only 7 mos along and like, 5'11''! It's only a short period of time when most women have that cute but proportionate bump, kwim? Unless a woman is really tall, the last month-ish, she starts looking uncomfortably 'big'. You know, cuz there's a FULL SIZE baby in there. I mean, why else would we be having problems breathing, moving around or even eating if, near the end, the baby didn't start taking up precious room? Sometimes people just don't think.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Old 08-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Why do people feel they have a right to comment on the size of our bellies??? It drives me crazy!

I have been asked if there's more than one in there, have gotten shocked stares from strangers when I tell them I'm not due until September, and had a neighbor (nice friendly guy) yell across the street to me just yesterday, "your husband said you had gotten big, but I wasn't sure I believed him. You really have gained weight!"

It is exactly what a pregnant lady wants to hear.
My response is always the same though. I chuckle, and say, "Thanks so much for that. That is exactly what I wanted to hear," in a sarcastic sort of way. The person smiles back, but in that, "oh maybe that wasn't the best thing to say to a giant pregnant lady" sort of way.

At least it's universal and not just me.

MP- hilarious pic!

Lit Chick - yay for being able to rest and relax! good for you!

Oh and on the labor front, this baby is making ready to exit. I am having braxton hicks like you wouldn't believe and yesterday, I think I had a mini contraction. I was sitting at my desk and thought, "oh man, a period cramp....oh wait, I'm pregnant, that's not a period cramp." It was only once and only for about 15-20 seconds long, but it was definitely there. Is that normal?

wanted to add: JTAmom - that whole "saving your pee" thing sounds really awful. Glad you are done. and good point on MP's belly button. Mine is completely flat now, there's no tucking stuff in there now. And it used to be super deep. I hope it comes back.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:13 PM

I keep getting "You don't look too bad!" I swear- exact words, several people.

Huh.

I *think* it means I'm not too big, but since when does big = bad? and then I think, "too" bad? Like, I look bad, but not TOO bad. I do feel like I'm smaller at this point than I was with DD, but my mw says I'm measuring normally, I've been gaining normally, and I still have nearly 2 months left to go. I'm not worried about it, but it's a very odd reaction. I never got that with DD.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10

User Tag List