Can we talk GBS testing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Also, I'm currently doing a regime of echinachea, garlic, and vitamin C...I start the tea tree oil tampons (in 6 hours a day for 6 days) tomorrow as my appointment to test for the gbs is next week.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 PM

My midwife suggested I take GRAPESEED extract. She said she's heard that helps. I made a mistake and got grapefruit seed extract, but then went back and got the right stuff. I did have the test done and just got my results back today. I'm negative!
#33 of 41 Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houla05 View Post
My midwife suggested I take GRAPESEED extract. She said she's heard that helps. I made a mistake and got grapefruit seed extract, but then went back and got the right stuff. I did have the test done and just got my results back today. I'm negative!
I think you mean grapefruit seed extract. Grape seed extract is antiinflammatory but won't help with the gbs.

GrapeFRUIT seed extract is antimicrobial...it's good for ridding of GBS, and is also a great way to get rid of thrush. You can use it topically in a swab/wipe or you can also mix it with water/juice and take it internally.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#34 of 41 Old 08-06-2010, 09:29 PM

After a good discussion with my midwife I will not be having the test this time. We will treat based on risk factors and would have done so regardless of the result so really there wasn't much point in testing for me.

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
#35 of 41 Old 08-06-2010, 10:56 PM

I did it last time, doing it this time, too. Last time I was positive and got the antibiotics, this time I'll do the same if I'm positive again. Although this time, since I'm anticipating not being on pitocin, I'll do a hep lock instead of an IV if I end up being positive again.

It's one of those things for me where, the risk of bad-thing-happening is small, but I'd like to make it smaller.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#36 of 41 Old 08-07-2010, 12:21 AM

My midwives offer the test, it's optional not required. In the case of a positive they offer iv antibiodics or Hibiclens, with Hibiclens as their recommendation. Or you can choose to just to Hibiclens in the case of prolonged rupture of membranes or signs of infection. The local hospital they transfer to DOES recognize Hibinclens as treatment, and you can avoid antibiotics if transferred. If you don't test you can also choose Hibiclens and/or Hibiclens w/risk factors.

I choose to test and do Hibiclens if positive. I was positive with DD, negative with DS. And now that I had a Z-pack for nasty sinus infection a few weeks ago, I suspect I might be positive. Although I'm feeling all of this is irrelevant as the baby is still BREECH!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#37 of 41 Old 08-07-2010, 01:08 AM

Thanks for starting this thread; I've been thinking of posting about this. My swab is on Monday. Planning to decline abx regardless (unless prolonged ROM) but would like to have a negative swab in my chart b/c even though I've tested positive in the past I don't think they will hassle me about it as much if I have a neg this time. As far as I can remember, they do vaginal and anal at the birth center. I've been doing a bunch of stuff (diet, supplements, suppositories, washes, tea) for the past week and a half to try and make sure I get a negative swab, and I'll probably try the Hibiclens before my test. I've been feeling a little yeasty for the last 2-3 weeks, though, so that is making me nervous. Also, I have been consistently sleep-deprived for the last 2 1/2 years (DD doesn't sleep much and also does not STTN) so my immune system is not going to be what it could be. I'm not confident that I will screen negative.

I tested positive with DD, then cleared it for a retest 2 weeks later (I just cut out all sugar, took some probiotics and some immune supplements that I had around anyway). Then told by head midwife it didn't matter and I would need abx anyway. I didn't feel like fighting it, so I got them. There was only time for one dose. They hung the bag and I don't remember it being a big deal. This was before they said I was in "Active labor" so after I got my first dose they sent me on my way. They put a heplock in when I came back and checked in, but I had DD within 2 hours of checking in so they never put anything in it. I found it extremely uncomfortable, though, and they took forever to take it out. Luckily we didn't have any side effects from the abx but we have a family history of allergy to penicillin and I am prone to yeasty stuff so I was/am nervous about it. B/c I only had time for one dose they kept me for 12 hours at the birth center and had me watch DD's temp really closely.

Regardless, I'm planning to take vit. C and eat eggs to strengthen my sac, minimize vag. exams, watch the baby closely, etc. I'll probably take a break from my "regimen" for a week or two after my test and then restart around 38 1/2 or 39 weeks. If I screen pos. this time I will almost certainly do the hibiclens during labor. Don't know how on-board the birth center is with helping with that but I can have that conversation with them if I do test pos.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#38 of 41 Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post

But, I do know *some* people, when doing the test themselves, to take the swab out of the package, and put it in the test tube container...and then hand it back to the nurse...

My midwife before told me she didn't care *where* I stuck it.
Wouldn't it be obvious when they tried to culture the test that an actual vagina hadn't been swabbed... I'm thinking it would be too clean or there woudn't be anything on the swab? Would the test come back from the lab invalid? Even if your midwife didn't care, wouldn't she need to have valid result in your chart as a CYA? Just wondering about how this would actually work in practice....

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#39 of 41 Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 AM

I have been wondering the exact same thing!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#40 of 41 Old 08-12-2010, 07:15 PM

With #1 I was neg, and just got my results today for #2 - pos. How about that.
I'm not worried. My MW thinks that my colony is pretty small because I've never had any vaginal infection. Not so much as a bubble-bath induced yeast infection.
I'm going to do my probiotics again and hibi when labor hits, to be on the safe side, but other than that no big deal.
Home stretch!

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#41 of 41 Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 AM

Well I have my GBS test on Monday, and I'm highly nervous.

My mother has an anaphylactic reaction to penicillin (3 weeks in ICU), I have an allergy to penicillin, and one of my 2 children has an ana reaction to penicillin (bad reaction and swelling such that blood comes from the eyes - no good). They stopped giving me penicillin as a child when I developed a full body rash in minutes after taking it. I've never tried to take it again, or one of its relatives. I was told that penicillin allergies were not inherited, but I'm not entirely certain I believe that at this point.

So I am really praying that the GBS test comes back negative or that I don't go into labor before it comes back. I've been taking my probiotics and vitamin C starting yesterday when I could actually keep pills down. I know that if I do go into labor early that I will have a very uphill battle trying to not get IV ABX, even an alternate.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page