This is getting serious... need a name! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm embarassed to admit how clueless we are for names with this babe!
We seriously do not have a single one we both like! Dh and I like way different names...

His faves are: Xaria, Talia, Kassia -he likes more girly names than me, we both like fairly original/unique names

My faves are: Hazel Raine, Willow Jane and I did love Rhiannon, but since my son is Rowan thats way to similar.

I really like Gaelic/welsh names and nature names. Dh says no more tree names. I really wanted another tree name... I'd like Jane as a middle name, for my Grandma.

Our relationship has in general been not awesome for awhile now, and this is one more thing we have completely opposite views on

Oh! And if we have a boy we're hooped, cuz the only name I can think of I like is Finn, Dh doesn't much like it, but doesn't have anything else he likes and I've got no middle names I can think of!

Hopefully writing this will spur me into some proper list making, cuz we're havin a baby soon, name or no!!

...And when your deepest thoughts are broken,
keep on dreaming boy, cause when you stop dreamin' it's time to die.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 05:10 PM

I have a feeling he really likes the IA at the end...

How about something like Olivia, Shania, Amelia, Kaia, Dalia?

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 PM

I like Talia and Hazel.

If this baby is a boy he will be nameless if he decides to arrive soon. Not even a short list. I thought we were pretty set with a name until dh told me last week he has been thinking about it and isn't too crazy about my choice. Anything he has come up with has not bene my style at all. I understand the importance of agreeing on a name you both like, but at the same time it is so hard to let go of your favourites if you and you partner are not seeing eye to eye.
Good luck!!

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 07:04 PM

I agree. DF and I are in a similar boat only we know we are having a boy and we still can't pick anything..

For DD I originally wanted Rhiannon Isabel but XH nixed it right off the bat.. but anyways I don't think its too similar to Rowan.

Sephira is a name I love and I don't think its very common though I could be wrong.
I like Thalia (muse of comedy) but not really Talia (just looks misspelled to me).

My friends baby girl (now 5) is Tana which i'd never heard before and can't for the life of me think of what it means.

My XH wanted Emrys if he had a boy and I love the name but of course wouldn't even suggest it to DF now.. DF wants Alistair and we talked about using it as a middle name but it sets up the initals for something bad depending on the first name.. Last name starts with N.

I'd look through some mythology books or something and see if you can't come up with something thats new to you and DH.

Granted I'm not one to talk I keep saying that this boy is going to be a year old before we can agree on a name. And don't even talk about middle names.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
Old 08-18-2010, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Willow or Hazel are lovely.

I don't care for the other choices.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
Willow or Hazel are lovely.

I don't care for the other choices.
haha, I agree completely, hence our problem! I am currently totally in love with hazel... but dh will NOT be swayed. He says it's fine, if you're 94

Old 08-18-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamum2008 View Post
haha, I agree completely, hence our problem! I am currently totally in love with hazel... but dh will NOT be swayed. He says it's fine, if you're 94
Tell him he just does not understand how names work. Classical names are coming back!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:46 PM

It seems like he might have a thing for Greek names. Maybe you can look up those and find one you like. I dealt with this same thing. I came up with lots of names I liked only to get them all rejected. I like old fashioned names and my dh also thought they sounded good on old ladies. Grr. I finally spent lots of time looking at baby name lists and books came up with a huge list and got my dh to look at it telling him he had to choose a few. I at least now have a short list. I don't feel any of the girl names are perfect but I do have something.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
Old 08-18-2010, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Daphne

Olive

Laurel

Greek tree names!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 PM

I have no great suggestions, as your lists seem so far removed from each other! I'm also in the same boat, we're really no where on names... It's occurring to me that might be something to focus on in short order Good luck!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 08-19-2010, 05:55 AM

We've had problems with names, too. Especially boys' names. We finally have a couple that might do, though both have downsides. My husband also disliked all of my boys' name suggestions but couldn't come up with anything himself. And when I'd try to talk about it he'd just get silly and suggest ridiculous names like Odd Llewllyn.

What about the name Azalea for a girl? I like it but I don't think it would quite fit our family. It's a flower name and it ends in the IA sound.

I can't help with boys' names. Have you tried the nymbler site? It might give you some suggestions to go through with your husband.

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 AM

I was totally going to suggest Daphne - tree and Greek!

Here's a list of girl names ending in "ia", perhaps you'll agree on one.

As for boys names, I like Finn (I have one so I'm biased).

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 08-19-2010, 01:15 PM

The first name that came to mind for a girl is Welsh, and sounds lovely with Jane:

Carys Jane

Carys (KARE-iss) is Welsh for love. It's not a commonly-used name, but it's not totally unkown, either. Kinda like Rowan, actually, but a little less-used. It's also a nice mix of being unusual and girly, which might be good for both of you.

Rowan and Carys. Love it.

Other Welsh names:

Ariana (silver)
Eleri (EL-eh-ree) (daughter in Welsh legend)
Gwyneth (happiness)
Nerys (NER-iss) (lord)
Sian (SHAN) (Welsh cognate of Jane)
Siani (SHAN-ee) (Welsh cognate of Jane)
Sioned (SHAN-ed) (Welsh cognate of Jane/Janet)

Irish names:

Aideen (AY-deen)
Aine (AHN-yuh) (joy)
Aisling (ASH-ling) (dream, vision) (you can also just spell this Ashling)
Ciara (KEER-ah) (black-haired one)
Dara (of the dara knot, a gaelic symbol of the oak tree)
Deirdre (young girl, famous girl of Gaelic legend)
Eveleen (life)
Inis (Gaelic for Ennis, a place name)
Lelia (Leh-lee-ah) (lily)
Nessa (pure)
Rois (Rohsh) (rose)
Sabia (SAY-bee-ah) (Gaelic Sadhbh, for "goodness")
Sinead (Gaelic form of Jane)
Treisse (TREE-seh) (strength)
Vevina (sweet lady)

Of those, I really like Lelia (Leh-lee-ah). Lelia Jane sounds lovely. So does Ashling/Aisling Jane, Dara Jane, Aine Jane...lots of good Jane combinations, actually.

A list of tree names (with a link to boy tree names)...some of these have a more obscure sound and meaning, so the tree association might not be as strong as with Rowan, but could still be there, yk?

Girls:

Alona (oak)
Daphne (laurel)
Dara (oak, gaelic)
Eila/Ilana (tree)
Geneva (juniper)
Kaya (restful place, yew tree)
Livia (olive tree)

Boys:

Acton (oak tree settlement)
Ames (lives near elm trees)
Arlo (barberry tree)
Beacher (near the beech trees)
Eilon/Elon (oak tree)
Erez (strong cedar)
Gideon (feller of trees)
Hawes (fruit of hawthorn trees)
Hawthorne
Hollis (holly tree)
Lennox (many elm trees)
Linden/Lyndon (the linden tree)
Oakes (oak tree)
Oliver (olive tree)
Oren (pine tree, pale pine)
Tannon (German for fir tree)

Some of these names (Oren, Tannon, Ames, Hawes, etc.) you'd never guess were tree names, but you would still have the meaning to tie it to Rowan. LOVE Ames, by the way. Love it, love it, love it.

Other names that come to mind:

Bryony (a girl's name, English, for a climbing green vine)
Sylvia (girl's, "of the woods")
Silas (boy's, "woods")

I love Bryony and Silas...both would sounds great with Rowan. Bryony Jane is beautiful, too.

Hope that helps!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 08-19-2010, 04:50 PM

Just skimmed this so I might not have the whole gist you're going for...but 'ia' names I like (and were immediately nixed by DH) are --

Ophelia
Delia
Cordelia

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:19 PM

First I'd like to say I RedOakMomma's lists!

These two are just beautifull: Ariana, Ciara!

I am curious to hear what your DH and you have been discussing as far as names are concerned. Maybe the name for your LO is hiding until you meet.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamum2008 View Post
I'm embarassed to admit how clueless we are for names with this babe!
We seriously do not have a single one we both like! Dh and I like way different names...

His faves are: Xaria, Talia, Kassia -he likes more girly names than me, we both like fairly original/unique names

My faves are: Hazel Raine, Willow Jane and I did love Rhiannon, but since my son is Rowan thats way to similar.

I really like Gaelic/welsh names and nature names. Dh says no more tree names. I really wanted another tree name... I'd like Jane as a middle name, for my Grandma.

Our relationship has in general been not awesome for awhile now, and this is one more thing we have completely opposite views on

Oh! And if we have a boy we're hooped, cuz the only name I can think of I like is Finn, Dh doesn't much like it, but doesn't have anything else he likes and I've got no middle names I can think of!

Hopefully writing this will spur me into some proper list making, cuz we're havin a baby soon, name or no!!

I'd go Talia Raine
Old 08-19-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

ROM you rock! Thats so super helpful, I'm off to get a pen and paper and get list making. There are quite a few there that I'd liked before, but I guess i forgot about!
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll go ponder and discuss and let you know how it's going!
ps- I totally forgot Carys- it was my #1 pick for a girl fror a long time

Old 08-20-2010, 11:57 AM

DDCC Carys Jane, lovely!! Carys and Rowan, lovely!! ROM DOES rock!!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 08-20-2010, 12:25 PM

You guys are sweet.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~

User Tag List