What will you miss about being pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know, I know---this seems like a crazy thread now that we're all in the throes of the final weeks of our pregnancies and feeling achy, unwieldy, and mostly just DONE. However, even as I'm getting so excited and ready to meet baby, I've been thinking about some of the things I'll miss about being pregnant...so, in the interest of trying to stay positive and upbeat in these last few weeks, here goes...

1. Thicker hair.
2. Hair that doesn't need to be washed every day.
3. Eating ice cream every night "for the baby."
4. Looks of terror as people see me now approaching them with my huge belly.
5. Feeling the baby squirm around.
6. DH's extra-supportive wonderfulness.
7. The special private bond that only I have with the baby right now.
8. The look on DH's face when he feels baby moving.
9. Watching trashy TV in the afternoon with the excuse that I'm "taking it easy."

Others?

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#2 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 PM

that my huge tummy is for a REALLY good reason.

the lovely guesses of what shes going to be like and knowing none of them are even close to how awesome she will be.

being able to go out without having to stop and feed her.

eating without having to stop and feed her.

not having to worry if she is too hot or too cold.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Feeling the baby squirm

Wondering who this person is: Boy or girl? How will s/he look? What will his or her personality be?

The anticipation of when labor will start

The way people treat me differently

Being able to be lazy with a good excuse
#4 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 07:06 PM

The "specialness" of being so pregnant. The way people smile and hold the door, inquire about how you are doing and forgive you for not chasing your 3 year old or picking up whatever fell on the floor.

Feeling baby move and knowing there is someone else, a whole new person, growing inside you. And having that special new person all to yourself.

The independence of "only" having two bigger kids. They don't need me all the time, they can play out of my sight. They don't wake a lot at night, or poop every two hours. I don't worry obsessively about their breathing, their vaccines or how long they slept.

Being able to be lazy all day and then having DH say, "You weren't lazy! You were growing a baby!"

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#5 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Cheating a little, because I'm already not-pregnant.

The thing I miss most about being pregnant is my hope of someday having a natural, non-medicalized birth. Because of the way they had to do the c-section, a vertical incision on the uterus, I can never have a vaginal birth again, and they warned me that it would be extremely dangerous to get pregnant again in the next 18 months. DH was ready to be done with kids, and honestly, this makes me feel done, too. Besides, I'm 40 and it's probably better to be done, but I hate having to let go of that hope forever.

(For the c-section, they did the regular horizontal incision all the way down, took one look at the uterus and ground to a screetching halt. While they figured out how to cut in without severing the very large placental blood vessels wrapped around the lower part of the uterus, they stuck a second hep-lock and IV into me and wheeled the emergency blood supply closer. They said that the vertical incision was their only choice, and they certainly were acting nervous. I'm glad that baby and I both came through as well as we did, but it was pretty rocky, emotionally.)

I also will miss the feeling of the baby moving inside me.
#6 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 PM

1. How baby is mine all mine, it's just him and me.
2. Feeling him wake up and stretch, or get excited about a noise or his fathers voice.
3. Knowing that he is safe and warm and here.
3. Watching my belly move while he "breathes" hiccups and moves.
4. The way my family got as excited as I did when they got to see him move (I already miss this since they are at least 8 hours away.)
5. The way DP kisses my tummy and hugs me super-gently.
6. The way my dog slides off the big bump when trying to give me a hug! The look on her face is priceless!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#7 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 PM

Feeling the baby move.

That's it. Absolutely nothing else.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#8 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 PM

Watching the excitement and anticipation that DS has now. I worry he will grow bored with the baby when he really sees how she can't really do anything for a while.

Other than that, nothing.

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .
#9 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 08:54 PM

The movement for sure, and the way DH worships my belly. It's the sweetest thing in the whole wide world. I can't get enough of how he lays his head on the belly and talks to baby. I could also get used to the pampering. He's bringing me stuff instead of the other way around!

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#10 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 09:14 PM

Nothing.

That's probably not true, but that's how I'm feeling tonight.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#11 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 09:23 PM

My husband being in charge of cooking and dishes. Though he will be for a while after the baby is born, too.

Alone time with my daughter. It's going to be so much hard to take care of two on my own. Though that said, it's really hard to take care of her right now, too.

That's about it. I'm ready to be done. Full term tomorrow!!
#12 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
Nothing.

That's probably not true, but that's how I'm feeling tonight.
Awww, Kelly, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way right now...

I hope tomorrow's better!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#13 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 09:37 PM

The way dh is completely willing to massage my back and or feet frequently.

The excitement the boys have in discussing the baby, feeling the baby move and trying to guess at baby parts.

The opportunity to put the tv on, lay down and know the boys will be occupied for at least a short time and I can relax.

The anticipation of labour, and meeting this baby.

I won't miss much about mat clothes now except the fact that all bottoms require no zipping, buttoning etc making for very easy bathroom trips.

Not having to clean bathrooms (or pretty much anything) and dh won;t say a word about it (I will add that I still clean, just not as much and dh has defintiely picked up the slack).

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
#14 of 24 Old 08-20-2010, 11:05 PM

i will miss ...

DS being the baby..

the baby moving ..

having an excuse to be huge..

there are many many more things i will not miss

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#15 of 24 Old 08-21-2010, 12:49 AM

Not having a period, and being able to flaunt my belly and wear snug fitting tops. I'll also miss being able to take care of baby's every need just by breathing and eating on a regular basis. So much harder when they come out!

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#16 of 24 Old 08-21-2010, 03:37 AM

NOTHING! Honestly can't think of one thing. I am excited to be a Mom, but the pregnancy thing has not been enjoyable.

Actually, I will miss not having my period. Also adding ~ I (we) do enjoy the enhanced chest, I wish I could keep it!

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#17 of 24 Old 08-21-2010, 08:25 AM

Hopefully with nursing my period will be gone for at least 6 months post-partum, so that doesn't count for me.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#18 of 24 Old 08-21-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
...being able to flaunt my belly and wear snug fitting tops. I'll also miss being able to take care of baby's every need just by breathing and eating on a regular basis. So much harder when they come out!
THIS!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#19 of 24 Old 08-21-2010, 08:52 AM

Not having a period.
Having a belly be a good thing.
Having everything I need for the baby packed up at all times.
My DD and DS kissing my belly.
Feeling the baby moving.
The "be emotional it's normal" card that comes with pregnancy.

Though all these are nice, I'm getting to the point where I will trade them for the baby. I'll deal with PP bleeding, I'll come to terms with my mama belly, I'll make sure to pack for the baby, I'll feel the love when my kiddos kiss the baby, I'll watch my baby move and get to nurse him, and I can still be emotional... I'm a Cancer.

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
#20 of 24 Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 AM

Feeling the baby move. I always miss that after.

Being able to feed my baby whenever, where ever without stopping and finding a place to sit down.

I will miss my belly. I don't like gaining the weight while I'm pg, but I like have a belly to rub.

Maternity jeans and shorts. They are soooo much more comfortable then regular jeans that have zippers.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#21 of 24 Old 08-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
Hopefully with nursing my period will be gone for at least 6 months post-partum, so that doesn't count for me.
I went 17 months last time! Here's hoping...

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#22 of 24 Old 08-21-2010, 11:28 AM

Heh, it suddenly struck me that I've only had 3 periods in the past two years. Since I have very severe and painful periods, that's a happy thing.

#23 of 24 Old 08-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Thank you for posting this thread, Laurski. My not jumping off a bridge is an hour-by-hour situation. Well, not that bad, yet...

I've been in "early labor" for 3 days.

I guess what I will miss is all the wonderful people helping me take care of me, even though I am chomping at the bit to be able to take care of myself and especially not having so much self to take care of.

Also will miss weekly massages! Love those, but seems extravagant for everyday life.

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#24 of 24 Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I will miss special DD and mommy cuddle naptime. I will miss knowing the baby is safe and secure and that DD can't hurt him or her (unintentionally, of course). I will miss being able to take it easy(ier).

I think I am a little sad about my relationship with DD changing. She is getting so interactive and now it will really change quite a bit.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page