Special gifts from you for older DC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2010, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DD is getting a new doll from the baby, but I was thinking it would be nice to get something special from DH and I as well. She is 26 months, so I don't know what would be meaningful and maybe a keepsake for her at this point.

Any ideas?

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 08-22-2010, 04:19 AM

I'm not planning on getting my 2.5 year old daughter anything for sure. She's getting a baby carrier from the baby. If she needs to go someplace else for the birth (she's welcome to stay, but if she decides to/needs to go she can) we have a backpack of her very own that she can take with her. She hasn't seen it yet so we figure it would be something special to take the edge of things if she's upset.

I'm terrible about presents, though. I get them when I find something good and rarely have them ready for special dates. Thank goodness my family is the same way!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:08 AM

I don't know how my psychology works, lol, but we don't do a gift directly from the baby. The baby is our family's gift and we like to stress that. But I do keep a bag of small presents/toys/colouring books/ect so that when people come over with gifts for the new baby we can pull one of those out for the children so they don't feel that only the new baby is spoiled. That way they get something fun and exciting too and aren't left out of the presents.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia View Post
But I do keep a bag of small presents/toys/colouring books/ect so that when people come over with gifts for the new baby we can pull one of those out for the children so they don't feel that only the new baby is spoiled. That way they get something fun and exciting too and aren't left out of the presents.
This is good tip. Thanks!

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
Old 08-22-2010, 12:06 PM

The boys will be getting big brother gifts. It won't necessarily be from the baby, but just something acknowledging the importance of their role (and to help with the fact that the baby will be getting gifts).

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 12:17 PM

I'm making a weighted Waldorf style bunting baby doll for my DD... similar to these, but with lavender and millet added to the stuffing so it's a little heavier - they LOVE it when they're weighted!

http://hyenacart.com/prod_details.php?id=44449&vid=201

http://www.etsy.com/listing/52581259...l-according-to

http://www.etsy.com/listing/35556946...dorf-baby-doll

And I REALLY like the idea of having a little stash of new fun stuff to pull out for DD when people bring over presents for the new babe. Good one!

Mama to Lulan 8/07, and Amelia Pearl 9/10
Old 08-22-2010, 02:46 PM

I got some art stuff, so not a super-special gift but something a little different to help him DS pass the time (markers are not allowed in the house, so his mind will be blown when he gets to use some). I also got a few more pieces of track for his train set.

*if* I am still preggers late next week, I might trek into town and check out a store my MWs told me about. DS looooves helping to check me, listen to my heartbeat, etc. So, I might get him his own little medical set. But that's only if I am going super stir-crazy waiting and need something to do besides clean.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 08-22-2010, 02:56 PM

Its kind of the opposite for us, we have special gifts for Mae from the older kids.

In my eyes, I wont buy the older kids gifts for her first birthday... why should I buy them ones for her birth day?

That said, I have other ways of getting them involved so they do not feel like the new baby is getting all of the attention and they are being forgotten. Which is part of why they each got to pick out a gift for Mae of their very own choosing.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:45 PM

The boys have also picked out a special gift for the baby, that they are very excited about giving.

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 03:58 PM

When DS was born we bought DD a special doll. This time around though we are getting them numerous small things to pull out a tough times or when baby is getting gifts from family,etc.. I've found some really cute things that are $2 and under at our local, independently owned toy store.

The will each pick out a special gift for baby too, but we haven't done that yet!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 08-22-2010, 05:08 PM

I like the giving instead of getting concept. Thanks for the reminder.

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 AM

DD got the baby a Sophie the Giraffe teether. She "helped" me wrap it up a week or two ago. And he will be getting her a watch. I don't plan on buying her any presents from us as parents although I think it's a perfectly fine idea. I have a few new (or at least new to her) books and toys that I've picked up here and there that I can pull out if necessary for her to play with.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 AM

I'm torn about this.

We had dd "give" ds a gift when she arrived home (adoption), and he hardly noticed. From then on, I've been kinda suspect of this whole gift-giving idea. I'm not sure it's a good thing (at least in our family) to connect "I get a gift" with "hey--here's my new sibling!"

Our kids have a couple siblings already, and they're very used to seeing other siblings get gifts while they don't (birthdays, parties, etc.). I like that very much about them...I think it nurtures being happy about the actual event, and for other people besides themselves, at appropriate moments. Not every big event is going to come with a gift...sometimes just the joy and singularity of the occasion should be enough.

I know that sounds critical...I guess that's where I am right now on it. Like I said...we tried it last time we introduced a new sibling, and it gave me some pretty icky feelings. And yeah...ds barely noticed the gift. He mostly wanted to see/spend time with "his" new sister. She was the gift.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ROM & Mae - I really like your perspectives!

We are getting DS a doll and I might sew him a pouch sling and/or a moby wrap because I can see him wanting to carry a baby around too.

I'm going to try to find a bunch of new books inexpensively (freecyle?) or even just get a stack from the library and hide them until needed for the birth and days after. Planning on some new art supplies and maybe a matchbox car or something nice a boyish - haven't decided yet - that I can pull out when needed.

In that sense, he'll be getting those things from us, but not as a keepsake or presented as a special gift but really just to keep him occupied and hopefully minimize frustration.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 PM

I deliberated over this very subject for awhile. At first, I thought I would get the older siblings big brother/sister gifts. Then I decided it was more appropriate for them to give something to the baby. I initially thought that I would take them out and have them pick out a gift for their new sibling. Then I came to the conclusion that it would mean a lot more if they made the gifts they were giving. So, we are planning on having the older siblings each make the baby a decorated wood frame. After the baby is born, we'll place a photo of each child with the baby in each of the frames and put it in the new baby's room.

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 PM

Good thoughts!

I fall into the no gift camp, either from the baby or to the baby. It just is what it is. But, I do think it's a good idea to have a stash of new stuff for distraction when you have visitors, tons of baby gifts, or just a long day. A new box of crayons can go a really, really long way.

That said, OP, my kids LOVE t-shirts. What if you got her a t-shirt and put a picture of her and the baby on it? Snapfish can make them, but they take a while. I've used the printer paper iron-on stuff, and it works great, and is fast.

My kids also love to match. So, if you could put the picture on a t-shirt for your dd, and on a onesie for the baby...and maybe buy/make pajama pants to go with them, I'd bet she'd be thrilled.

I also try to pull out the baby dolls and accessories we already have. I might pick up a few small things to make it all seem new again, but I won't give them as gifts. I'll just put them with the things we already have to be found and enjoyed later. I try to set them up invitingly so they can mimic what I am doing if they want to. I've found it helps to give them an avenue to act out the new things they are seeing.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 08-24-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
I also try to pull out the baby dolls and accessories we already have. I might pick up a few small things to make it all seem new again, but I won't give them as gifts. I'll just put them with the things we already have to be found and enjoyed later. I try to set them up invitingly so they can mimic what I am doing if they want to. I've found it helps to give them an avenue to act out the new things they are seeing.
I like this idea.

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

Old 08-25-2010, 05:41 PM

Yep, I've decided to just start collecting some new art supplies and entertaining stuff like that to pull out when we need it. I'm not going to wrap anything but the doll that I make for her.

Love the idea of getting something special to give to the baby from the new big sister, hadn't thought of that!

Mama to Lulan 8/07, and Amelia Pearl 9/10

User Tag List