Newborn Cloth Diaper Stash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help

What would be your newborn cloth diaper stash list thatt you would make for a first timer? How many prefolds, covers (include sizes...like newborn or infant and how many). How many flannel wipes? If you found using a pocket was good for nightime, how many of those?
Lets say this list was for someone who wanted to do laundry every other day.

Create the perfect newbie newborn CD list.....

TIA!

Hip Hippie Mamatreehugger.gif to Baylin & Evangélina hbac.gif and Wife to my sexy Frenchman Clément luxlove.gif living frugally green in the beautiful mountains of West Virginia. Expecting our newest French Fry July 2012!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***Rainbow.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 PM

This is my first time using cloth. So far I got about 10 pockets and maybe 12 prefolds no covers yet. I plan on buying atleast 12 more prefolds and several covers. I got 6 snappis so far. Im currious about how many covers I need and if I can just use the pocket diapers like a cover with a prefold inside.
#3 of 25 Old 08-22-2010, 10:48 PM

my first time too.

Ive got 12-18 prefolds (depending on if I use the 3 ply ones, not likely they are so tiny, probably be our burp cloths)

I think 10 pockets, which will be used as covers... but then also inserts for them if I choose to use them as diapers.

but im expecting to be doing laundry once or twice per day for a while.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#4 of 25 Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 PM

We are CDing for the first time too!

I have 12 flats (which I am told are great for newborns as you can fold them smaller or larger if needed), 12 Indian prefolds (infant size, we had a 9lb 8oz baby last time, so i felt the newborn ones wouldn't last long) we have a package of flush-able liners (especially for the meconium poo) 3 snappis (we will need more as I loose things frequently) and 8 wool diaper covers. We made our own out of sweaters I found at a thrift store, they are SUPER cute, and it only cost me $30 for the sweaters and I have 2 left over for when she grows out of the size covers she is in. We are using a Homer Bucket from The Home Depot for a diaper pail.

We really like the idea of flats, and plan on using the prefolds as soakers if needed, but of what I hear, this is enough diaperage to do laundry every other day about. That's what I am told, but newborns, you change a lot, so I'm prepared to go every day. Well, my husband is prepared to go every day . We plan on also telling people who visit to come and do a load of laundry too .

I think once we decide if we like the flats or prefolds better we will buy more of those, but we are still undecided. My husband like oragami, so I feel the flats are going to get me more help diapering.
#5 of 25 Old 08-22-2010, 11:19 PM

for laundry every other day..
18-24 prefolds
4 covers

pockets really arent any better for night time.. just prep a couple clean diaper covers with a prefold folded in before bed and you should be good to go!

newborns dont pee that much before needing a change... i bought 12pack of gerber prefolds. cut them in half sewed the edge and had a nice stash of 24.. if you want them to be softer you can buy some flannel fabric and cut out a section and sew on to the soaker area.. i did this and washed them and they are super soft for baby!

Amanda~ mommy to Brayden (06/05), Noah (08/07), Alex (11/08), Lucy (09/10) and Kara (10/12)
#6 of 25 Old 08-22-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeLittleBirds View Post
I need help

What would be your newborn cloth diaper stash list thatt you would make for a first timer? How many prefolds, covers (include sizes...like newborn or infant and how many). How many flannel wipes? If you found using a pocket was good for nightime, how many of those?

TIA!
Diapers:
24-36 Prefolds, infant (or orange-edge if GMD)
12-24 Prefolds, small (yellow-edge GMD)
0-3 Thirsties fab fitted, XSmall
6-9 Thirsties fab fitted, Small

Covers:
6 Thirsties covers, XSmall
4 Thirsties covers, Small

Other:
3-pack of Snappis
2 Wet bag / tote (I have Bummis L for a 5-gallon bucket as a diaper pail)
24-36 wipes (I make these out of old shirts or rags rather than buy)
Pump thermos for keeping warm water for wipes (essential for me)

So, that's pretty much my ideal stash (and around what I'm working with, although I have more Small fitteds, 12). Everyone varies depending on what they like, though... obviously I'm a big fan of Thirsties, and I don't mess with Pockets or AIOs. I'm all about GMD (greenmountaindiapers.com) prefolds, have really hated the fit of all other standard-size prefolds. I'm not the most experienced CDer in the world, but my 16-month-old has been pretty much exclusively CD'ed since she was about a week old or so, and this kind of stash has totally worked for us.

ETA: Reading up... when Em was a newborn, I had only 18 infant-size prefolds and I barely had enough to wash once a day, no way would that last two days. I got another dozen for this one.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#7 of 25 Old 08-22-2010, 11:43 PM

I've got 36 infant prefolds, 12 fitted diapers, 6 small pockets, 8 small prowraps. I love prefolds on teeny babies.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#8 of 25 Old 08-22-2010, 11:47 PM

I've got 30 infant prefolds and 4 Thirsties Duo size 1s. Plus a wet bag for in a pail and a hanging wet bag for downstairs. And I have 6 hemp doublers.

I'd like to add 2 more covers (have 3 Blueberry Coveralls that seem a lot larger) and about 6 fitteds to get me through the first several months.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#9 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 12:35 AM

Diapers and the car seat are the two things I need get still! I've got a dozen infant prefolds and two wool wraps left from DS. I think I'm going to add another dozen prefolds and a couple Thirsties size 1's. I haven't used cloth much the first few weeks, and my babies gain rapidly.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#10 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 04:25 AM

I have 18 gmd orange, 18 yellow, 8 kissaluv size 0 fitteds. I have 4 thirsties duo covers 4 x-small, 2-small, one small wool cover, one medium cover and 4 infant AIOs (little joeys).

I also have several other larger diapers that will be for later.

I also have 6 bum genius one size aios but don't expect to use them for some time!

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#11 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 01:08 PM

first-timer too!!

I have 32 orange-edge GMD prefolds, 6 XS thirsties covers, 6 S thirsties covers, 6 snappis, and about 48 terry cloth wipes. a hanging wet bag (instead of diaper pail) and 2 large wet bags for on the go/day care. Hoping these will hold out till 6 weeks, when I get my sister's stash of 24 mixed fuzzibunz/BG one-sizes.

Question: do you all snappi/pin the prefold and then put the cover over, or fold the prefold and let the cover hold it on?
#12 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieInChicago View Post

Question: do you all snappi/pin the prefold and then put the cover over, or fold the prefold and let the cover hold it on?
Different people do it different ways, but I always snappi the prefold, then put on the cover. I feel like not snappi-ing it would cause more leakage, and the prefold would slide around in there and not cover the baby's skin.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#13 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 PM

I have 36 infant prefolds, 4 NB covers, 10 SM covers, 4 rocky mountain one sizes and I think one or two other one size of other brands I know one of which is a Thirsties duo size one and i can't remember the name of the other one.

i'm still working on making some cloth wipes.. I have them cut and just need to sew now that my machine is set up again. I have fabric cut for 12 wipes and need to buy some more but I can never remember to when I"m at the fabric store (30 minutes away).

I have 2 large wet bags and a small one for the diaper bag.

I don't have snappis and never used them before. I always just left them lose in there. but i don't know if that's how you're "supposed" to do it or not. I only CDed DD very briefly.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#14 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeLittleBirds View Post
I need help

TIA!

for a newbie who wants to wash every other day, you'd need a little over 48hrs worth of dipes.

Prefolds: 24 newborn (i'd use these for laying in mostly) 10 preemie prefolds OR 10 flats fro double stuffin or laying under sleeping baby etc.
Doublers: i'd get a cheapo pack of 10-15 microfibers form Walgreens or the auto store to use as doublers wrapped inside a prefold for nighttime or in a pocket dipe.
Covers: 6-8 Bummis Super Whisper Wraps, Super Brites, Thirsties wraps or a combination of those three. they all have the fold over at the top that makes it east to lay in a prefold instead of snappi-ing it.
Nighttime covers: 2 polar Bummis . simple and bullet proof
Pockets/AI2: I'd have 4-6 of these on hand for going out. to me they are just quick and easy to deal with and toss in a wetbag self contained. esp easy when you are out and there are no good changing areas. i'd recomend XS FuzziBunz (although I hate these dipes in larger sizes. go figure) Or soem size small dreameze AI2's.
#15 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 02:20 PM

We CD'd DD#1, and I kind of got addicted, so I'm pretty excited about CDing again! Here's what I've got so far... probably a little excessive

12 NB prefolds (we're using a diaper service for the first month or two, so these might get turned into gDiaper inserts or burp cloths)

30 infant prefolds (I'm in the process of turning some of these into fitteds - dying them, adding a decorative fabric strip, shaping into a fitted, then adding fleece to the inside - super fun!)

10 covers (mostly hand-me-downs) My favorite covers for DD when she was NB were Cot'N'Wraps. They have really nice leg gussets that hold in blow outs very well.

1 Little Beetles wool soaker

2 small knitted longies (working on making a LOT more of these!)

1 nb wool sleep sack that I knitted - because it's wool, it doubles as a cover as well!

3 small Fuzzi Bunz

10 small fitteds (various different brands)

Gonna make some new cloth wipes too... better get on it!

Mama to Lulan 8/07, and Amelia Pearl 9/10
#16 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaymomma View Post
1 nb wool sleep sack that I knitted - because it's wool, it doubles as a cover as well!
Waaaaaiiiiiiiit...can you do the same with fleece?!?!? Because I have a couple fleece sleep sacks (commercial ones) and that'd be fantastic for nights since I only have 3 fleece soakers...

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#17 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 03:56 PM

You maybe can with your fleece. My understanding is that fleece pushes the wetness towards whatever is less wet. So, if you use a thick enough diaper, the fleece should work. But, if your diaper gets rather wet, then the fleece will pull it through. Some people like to use a layer of fleece inside the prefold to pull the wetness away from baby's skin.

To the OP-

I figure I'll need to change a newborn an average of every 2 hours, or about 12 changes a day. It's definitely possible to use more or less, though. I also like to go simple for all my kids in diapers. (I had two until recently, and ds still needs one at night. So, when this baby comes, I'll have 2 again, and 3 overnight).

So...I get Mommy's one size snap covers. It doesn't matter which cover I grab, it will fit any of my kids. Makes life much easier for me (and more importantly, dh.) He can never remember which cover is for which kid. The downside is they can't be reused quite as well as the others because they are fabric inside and out. The PUL is sandwiched in-between. I prefer it, though. If they are just wet, you can let them air out and then reuse them with a younger baby no problem.

That said, to wash every other day, I would recommend:

12-15 Mommy's touch covers
24-36 prefolds (minimum!)

Another thing to remember is that washing the prefolds takes longer and is a little more involved. The covers are usually good just going through once and line drying. So...if you need a cover, through one or two through with your regular laundry or whatever, and you're good. It's the prefolds that you really need to be sure to have plenty of.

And, of course, whatever wipes method you want to use. For the little ones, I just keep a basket of baby washclothes and get one or two wet with warm water from the tap.

Snappi's or pins if you want them. You'll have better luck reusing your covers if you snappi/pin your prefolds, but my babies seem to be too wide for the snappi's. (Pins aren't hard, though. Just stick them in a bar of soap first. )

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#18 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 PM

FOR THE BABY :

32 NB prefolds
2 blueberry covers sz S
3 prowrap classic covers sz NB
2 thirsties covers sz XS
2 bummis super whisper wrap covers sz NB
1 swaddlebee's organic cotton fitted sz NB
2 thirsties AIO sz XS
1 WAHM AIO sz XS

I went a little overboard. but they're just so cute!!!

Plus I have 58 pockets from my DS for when the baby gets bigger. lol

SAH Mama to Cooper (3-9-08) and Sawyer (9-3-10).   
#19 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
I'm all about GMD (greenmountaindiapers.com) prefolds, have really hated the fit of all other standard-size prefolds.
What is the difference between the GMD and the standard ones?

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#20 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 04:15 PM

I wanted to add that you could just buy a bunch of flat folds, too. Then you'll never have to buy anything else.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#21 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribord View Post
What is the difference between the GMD and the standard ones?
Difference in cut. GMD tend to be more square, less rectangular. The difference I've found is that with GMD, you don't have to have a thick folded-down part in the front or back to get it to fit. It isn't too "long" from front to back, but it is square enough to fit all the way around the baby's waist to be snappi-ed.

With standard size diapers, it was always a struggle to snappi because the sides don't wrap around the waist as well.

Oh, and I always give this tip for people starting out CD, because it was the favorite one I got:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XASD0001
Fill it with plain hot water, or a wipe solution (I just use water), keep it beside the changing area. Keeps the water for cloth wipes warm for like two days, and it's super convenient.

#22 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
You maybe can with your fleece. My understanding is that fleece pushes the wetness towards whatever is less wet. So, if you use a thick enough diaper, the fleece should work. But, if your diaper gets rather wet, then the fleece will pull it through. Some people like to use a layer of fleece inside the prefold to pull the wetness away from baby's skin.
Thanks! I like the idea of fleece inside too...

#23 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
Difference in cut. GMD tend to be more square, less rectangular. The difference I've found is that with GMD, you don't have to have a thick folded-down part in the front or back to get it to fit. It isn't too "long" from front to back, but it is square enough to fit all the way around the baby's waist to be snappi-ed.
Hmmm... I may have to try some of those. I have a bunch of hand-me-down infant prefolds and I was trying to see how they would fit inside the Thirsties and Bummis covers that I bought and it seems like I'll have to really fold them down a lot to fit inside the covers.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#24 of 25 Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 PM

I should start by saying I'm a total CD noob and have never actually done it. However I have spent ridiculous amounts of time on CD forums and researching lol. This is what I did:

24 GMD orange edge prefolds
12 GMD small prefolds (gonna need more at some point!)
3 NB covers (Bummis)
1 Thirsties duo size one
3 snappies
1 set pins
12 Cotton/Terry wipes
24 flannel wipes (Etsy shop! Got a great deal)
a bajillion baby washcloths
1 wetbag

Thats the part of my stash that I got first, I considered it "the essentials". Since then, I've gotten what I consider "fluff":

15 Blueberry pockets, size small (loaned to me)
2 Flips - one size (won't fit properly for a little while I bet)
1 GroVia AIO - One size (cant wait to try this, it's so soft)
1 AIO from a shop on Etsy - small size
1 NB fleece soaker from an Etsy shop
2 Mother-Ease Sandy’s Fitteds - Xsmall
1 Thirsties fab fitted diaper - small

I'd love to get some more fitteds from a WAHM shop that I've been eyeing, and I want to get a fleece sleep sack. I'd love to get some wool but I kind of doubt that I will any time soon.

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
#25 of 25 Old 08-24-2010, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My ideal NB stash is just 3 dozen orange edge prefolds from GMD, 3 snappies & 6 covers - mostly Bummis + at least one wool sleep sack. Newborns are so calm and after the first week you'll be able to whip off a snappied prefold, toss it in the diaper pail, and get the new one on all one handed while nursing.

After the first few weeks in small:
3-4 pair wool longies
1-2 wool sleep sacks
~24+ GMD Yellow edge (had a crummy washing situation last time)
4 PUL covers

Once we hit mobility & solids ~5ish months on up:
yellow edge prefolds laid into covers or the new GMD snap fitteds, which I don't have yet but I'm coveting
We EC and I had problems with ds out growing the snappies before the diaper, or getting caught on my clothing so I'm just not dealing with that this time. I won't need any larger prefolds. The GMD yellow edge prefolds can last well past the first year laid into a cover trifold. I didn't even use my red edge prefolds so I'm going to get rid of most of them. Velcro always wiggled around and scratched DS so also going to get rid of that too as much as possible.

And finally After a year, especially if you EC, you can get by with a very small number of AIO's into toddlerhood. I've been using my same 6 Bumkins for.ev.er as my only diapers.

Well that was wordy lol

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page