can we talk birthing balls? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two of them. One is the 75 cm, and the other is 65 cm. From what I've read, you are supposed to have your knees below the hips while sitting on it for optimal fetal positioning. I find the 65 cm ball to be more comfortable in the leaning forward onto the ball position (which I try to do as much as I can, which I guess is every couple of days), so I've been sitting on it for the computer as well (a little less comfortable perhaps, with knees slightly above pelvis). Is there really anything wrong with having knees slightly up above pelvis for sitting??

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#2 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Huh. Interesting. My doula (or was it the childbirth class leader? I can't remember! Blame it on preggo brain! ) said that knees should be at a 90 degree angle. I have a 75cm and have been sitting on it to help my back and hips, which have been killing me, and my knees are pretty much at a rightish-angle.

I'll be interested to see what other folks have heard!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#3 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 12:33 PM

I've had this same birthing ball since I was pregs with #1 in 2003/2004.
How deep I sit on it depends on my weight vs. how much air is in there - and i have no idea how big it is. All I remember is that it was $9 @ target.

As to your knee/hip angle.
All that really matters is that you are opening your hips as wide as they will go.
Some good exercises are DEEP squats which obviously bring your pelvis below knee level.
And deep squating with your pelvis below your knees is a common pushing position in birth.
So I don;t see how it could be detrimental.
#4 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 12:35 PM

All my midwife said was make sure not to fully inflate the ball... it needs to be squishy.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM

you know what I was just thinking?
how funny it is that right now we are all trying to get our hips as wide as possible, sitting with our legs all out at angles, tilting out pelvis forward etc etc.

And *as soon as* that baby comes out we'll be pulling our pelvis's, tightening out knees together, and sitting pin straight in a desperate attempt to get our pelvis back to 'normal'.
I bet we'll have a thread on it in about 5 weeks!
#6 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 12:45 PM

I've always used the 65 ball due to my height (5 foot 6) but recently I've been wishing I had bought the 75 one. I'm not sure if it's because I'm too heavy but it feels too squishy and not high enough to keep my knees at a 90 degree angle. And I even checked with a tape measure it's definitely inflated plenty (about 67) but it's still squishy. Hmm.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#7 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryknowlicious View Post
you know what I was just thinking?
how funny it is that right now we are all trying to get our hips as wide as possible, sitting with our legs all out at angles, tilting out pelvis forward etc etc.

And *as soon as* that baby comes out we'll be pulling our pelvis's, tightening out knees together, and sitting pin straight in a desperate attempt to get our pelvis back to 'normal'.
I bet we'll have a thread on it in about 5 weeks!
not me! I love my big hips! But then, even before I had kids I had big hips. When I am skinny, I get an hourglass figure. Its awesome!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#8 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
not me! I love my big hips! But then, even before I had kids I had big hips. When I am skinny, I get an hourglass figure. Its awesome!
I have big hips too! like way big. Ans i LOVE them. I think they got me married
but I still want them to go down a few inches so they won't be so out of proportion with my narrow chest. (i'm talking 30/32in chest... naaaaaarrrrow)
I have a bottom half hourglass
#9 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryknowlicious View Post
I have big hips too! like way big. Ans i LOVE them. I think they got me married
but I still want them to go down a few inches so they won't be so out of proportion with my narrow chest. (i'm talking 30/32in chest... naaaaaarrrrow)
I have a bottom half hourglass
Ah, yeah i dont have a narrow chest.

I know part of why my hubby finds me so attractive, even when Im larger, is that I have a large chest and large hips. Its not like... shallow... because I know he finds my intelligence and sense of humor more attractive... but cmon... there's physical things there too! LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page