? Scary!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, just got back from the OB about two hours ago, we went to breakfast and just kinda laid around. DP went back out to the farm. I just went into the bathroom, and after going checked the paper, just out of habit...

There was blood on the paper... I wiped again thinking maybe it was just a little from the cervical check. But there was a little more. When I got up and looked in the toilet there was a clot on the inside of the bowl. I still have had no contractions, and the baby has been moving fine... and I feel alright. It was just shocking to see and now... What should I do? Call L&D? Or wait and see?

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#2 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 01:25 PM

I would call, to put your mind at ease - but it sounds like bloody show. With my #1, I had that and shortly after that I starte feeling crampy, and I had him that day. But Mae has been having show for weeks... so might not mean much.

Call, you will feel better talking to a pro.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#3 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

I did call, they spent a little time on the phone with me, told me to put on a pad and wait until they call me back so that we can get a measure... I guess. Thank you for writing back. I couldn't find my phone and was kind of freaking out!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#4 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 01:35 PM

hope all is well!

luckily at this point, blood can sometimes be a good sign!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I am still waiting, and still freaking out. I just want him to move and move until I know what is going on!

#6 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 01:52 PM

I'm glad you called. It sure sounds like bloody show. Did you say you had an internal exam? Your cervix is really sensitive right now and prone to bleeding.

Keep us posted. I just read today that bloody show can go on for weeks! (like it has been for Mae).

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#7 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Had an internal exam this morning before 9. This didn't start until right before I wrote, and I had heard that the cervix can become sensitive and bleed a little, but the clot really got me worried...

#8 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 02:35 PM

Clot could have been bloody show mixed with a chunk of mucuous plug (lovely imagery, no?).

Keep in touch with your OB, but don't worry... be calm... rest... think happy thoughts

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#9 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

ARGH!

It is kind of long. I am a bit upset, but baby and I both seem to be fine and I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

#10 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 03:34 PM

oh thats not good =( naughty doctor!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#11 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 PM

WHOA! That is so not cool to do that without your consent, let alone without even telling you it was done!

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#12 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 03:45 PM

That's really awful! Do doctors not realize or not care that doing things against a patient's wishes and/or without consent destroys the patients trust in at least them, if not doctors in general? I had a doctor run (non-invasive) tests on my years ago after I explicitly told him not to. I'm still furious with him, and it didn't actually affect me in any way except to piss me off that he didn't listen to my explicit request. I still don't trust doctors much today, and it's making it hard for me to trust my midwife as well, since she's still practicing within the medical environment.

I'm so sorry he did this to you. Good for you for letting them all know exactly how you feel about it and for choosing to forgo vaginal exams in the future.

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
#13 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 04:43 PM

OMG! Drop him like a hot potato! You can not birth with someone you don't trust. He violated you.
I'm so sorry!

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#14 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 04:49 PM

Wow....that's nuts. It doesn't make 100% sense, either, since I've always thought it would be damn near impossible to do if you weren't dilated? Either way--whether that is what he did OR he's confused you with another patient--I'd be on my guard from here on out. I'm sorry you've had this to deal with today.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#15 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 04:57 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of him. Like you said, you've heard great things about this doctor, you've liked him, and his stats back up his stance as a fairly natural-minded guy.

I posted in the other thread, but I think this might be a case of miscommunication. His routine might be to do membrane sweeps on term (or close-to term) women...if he is fairly natural-minded, he knows that they won't work unless your body is ready. He may have been going along with his routine treatment, and not realized it was against your preferences.

Do you think he would have done the sweep if he knew you didn't want it? If so, then yes--consider dropping him. If it was something you never discussed with him, then give him a pass. Every OB and MW makes mistakes. Just like with other relationships, one mistake should not end a relationship. It should prompt a change in communication.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#16 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your support!

ROM: I did respond to your other post. As always you seem to be a voice of reason.

#17 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 07:55 PM

I would also suggest hiring a Doula too. It may be short notice, but you are only 36+ weeks, so I wouldn't see it as that far out of the question. At least you can have someone there to help recognize when things are not going to plan, or heading toward off plan and letting you know and helping you advocate for yourself. I'm so so so so sorry you went through this. I would just mention to make sure, that when a future exam is done (which looks like labor is going the be the next one) you make sure he knows not to do another membrane sweep and not to 'stretch' the cervical opening even if it is stretchy. I hear this commonly happens, and if it's something you don't want, I'd make sure you mention it.

Again, I'm so sorry. I really really am, and I do agree that it IS the CPs OBLIGATION to inform you of ANY procedures, the RISKS, BENEFITS, WHY they suggest it, What to expect, etc. I'm a little irate for you, wow. Kinda blown away.
#18 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Wow, I have only had a few cervical checks in my day and all were in active labor, I am not sure what the point is anyway? I would be mad and feel violated too. I would keep the doctor for the reasons already mentioned, but you do not need any internal exams! not even in labor! The ones that I had were per my request at the very end of labor in my moment of frustration. Hugs!

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#19 of 24 Old 08-23-2010, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to hire a doula! I was planning on looking into it, but doubt this area has one. Can anyone give me a price range?

#20 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 01:58 AM

If you can find a local doula program you might be able to find a student who will attend your birth for free (they need the hours of experience).

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#21 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
Just like with other relationships, one mistake should not end a relationship. It should prompt a change in communication.
You're right ROM. I'm so hot-headed! Leo .

BBM- Have you had a chance to talk to your OB yet?

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#22 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby~Braatens~Mama View Post
I would love to hire a doula! I was planning on looking into it, but doubt this area has one. Can anyone give me a price range?
I second looking for a student who will do it for free or cheap. I actually had someone offer to do it for free for me, because she was still student and working towards certification. But I have my mom with me in a doula capacity already.

I'd check the "Find Your Tribe" subforum for the area where you live.

#23 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 10:53 AM

One place to look for doulas is through DONA, their training/certification network. Prices vary a LOT around the country, and even in a local area. I've heard of upwards of $2000 in NYC. In this area (southeast Michigan) I interviewed doulas ranging from $300 to $800. Most will also work with you on a sliding scale if money is a real issue.

I was thinking about this last night and wondered if you've had a chance to talk with your doctor about his philosophy on induction. The thing that struck me as most bothersome about your phone conversation is the statement that the doctor views you as "almost done" at not quite 37 weeks. Sure, babies come that early all the time, but if your little guy decides to hold on until 42 weeks you're still 5 weeks away, and I certainly wouldn't call that "almost done". I'm just wondering if he's the type to normally hurry things along as you approach 40 weeks, using that as a deadline, rather than letting things go post dates?

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
#24 of 24 Old 08-24-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Good questions! I haven't been able to talk to him, yet. I have to wait until our next OB and I will definitely bring that up. We go in on Monday. I spent a lot of time, yesterday afternoon, thinking that I should just skip my weeklies! lol... but that wouldn't give me a chance to have him look over the birth plan or give us a chance to discuss his practices and ethics. So I will definitely go. Better to be told whether or not he is willing to actually work with us, or if we should hurry up and try to find a new provider (if even possible). So far no doula, but a friend of mine knows a midwife who travels the area and is willing to work on a sliding scale. If things get to overwhelming with the ob and medicaid I will get a hold of her and see what her qualifications/certifications are. If we can afford to do it on our own, we may just do a hb.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page