Breech at 35 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had an NST this afternoon and part of that, is that they always do an ultrasound to check my amniotic fluid levels (I have GD). I had 2 of these last week and the baby was head down at both. I've felt like she has been head down for a while, but wasn't certain until last week's exams. Had a doctor's appt this morning and mentioned that baby had been head down at the NSTs. Doctor did not mention that baby felt to be in a different position.

Then I went to this afternoon's NST and got a different nurse performing the exam. When she did the ultrasound, she said the baby is breech. I haven't felt any big movements, so I'm kind of confused. Is it possible that the nurse just wasn't as good on the u/s machine and was mistaken? Or is the baby really breech? I can't tell by feeling my belly... never have been able to tell like that.

What can I do to try to get her to move back to head down position?

Most frustrating is that if she does flip back, I won't know it until I have another u/s. And I can see this becoming a big anxiety thing for me since I won't ever know if she's flipped or not. Grrr.

On the bright side, if she really was able to flip from vertex to breech, then she can't be as big as my doctor seems to think she will be (at this point, based solely on fundal height measurements).

Any advice?

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .
#2 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 AM

That would be a pretty big mistake, to say that the baby is breech when it is not, when you're looking at it via u/s.

I would go to spinningbabies.com and do some of the breech exercises.

It's possible that the baby does have plenty of room in there and can turn back easily.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#3 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 AM

I was told Friday that my little one was transverse (but I totally felt the move so I had a feeling). So I started doing the spinning babies routine this weekend and I think she's verticle now. I am popping into the midwife this morning before they start appointments and having them check. I don't care if she is head up or head down, as long as she is not sideways (like her big brother remained up to 41 weeks).

If they tell me this morning she is head up, I will add accupuncture and moxibustion to the routine. If she's head down, I'll just cross my fingers and do what I need to keep her in place...

I would suggest asking if you can check position more often with quick drop ins to your care provider as well. That way as you are doing your spinning babies you can get a confirmation of where she is.

Good luck!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#4 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 09:50 AM

Amy, check out the "Breech Worries" thread for more of what all of us did--but there were 4 or so of us with persistent breech babes for quite some time. Mine turned breech sometime b/t 32 and 34w and then turned back to vertex shortly after I turned 35w with the help of spinningbabies techniques, chiropractic and massage. He has stayed head down since and actually is in a pretty decent LOT position right now at 38w2d--and everyone agrees he's awfully big to turn back!

Incidentally, since this isn't your first kiddo, you probably have a lot more room for a "big" baby to turn than you thing--a week after mine turned, he was estimated at over 7 1/2 lbs on u/s! (I know it can be waaaaaay off, but if an average "term-sized" baby can turn, you've likely got room.)

Turn, baby, turn!!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#5 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 AM

Mine just turned last week at nearly 37 weeks! I had a consult appt with an OB to discuss version and baby had flipped! I'm pretty sure it happened the night before, I had felt big movements. My midwife, interestingly, said that most babies flip at night when moms are sleeping and most relaxed, so there is the most room for a big baby to turn over. Babies WANT to be vertex, they fit better that way, and if your baby has been vertex, I would think you have a good chance of baby going back! Also, when my baby was breech it was very uncomfortable and there was a big, giant HEAD under my ribs, if you spend some time feeling your belly you might be able to identify that knobbly head, that for me, was the tell tale sign.

Things I did- weekly chiropractic care with a Chiro that does the Webster technique starting at about 32 weeks, breech tilts (laying with my hips above my head) for as much time as I could manage every day, Pulsitilla (a homeopathic remedy), ice packs up high and warm compresses down low, lots of swimming (particularly floating on my belly) and visualization/talking to baby.

Best of luck!! Don't panic, visit spinning babies, and get working on those exercises!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#6 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! Heading over to spinning babies now!

I know it would be a pretty big mistake for the nurse to say the baby is breech while looking at the u/s... she didn't seem very bright, so I was hoping. I kind of thought "are you looking in MY belly?" Ha! Seriously, babe has been head down for at least 3 weeks, or so I thought. Ugh. It also just seemed odd to me because my OB had agreed that baby was head down at 10:00 am and then at 4:30 pm (with me not feeling any movement all day and getting stressed about that), the nurse tells me the baby was breech.

Won't know anything more until Thursday when I go for my next NST. Ugh. So hard not to stress about this. I really don't want a c-section and I doubt Kaiser will let me have a breech baby vaginally.

#7 of 9 Old 08-26-2010, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I had another NST and u/s to check fluid levels today and baby is definitely head down. I don't really want to think that the nurse on Monday was wrong, given that she was looking at an ultrasound at the time, but my gut says she was just plain wrong. Sure, it's possible that the baby flipped and flipped back, but let's just say that the nurse did not fill me with confidence about her skills.

Anyway, baby is head down. I can breathe a sigh of relief now. Just hope she stays that way!

#8 of 9 Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 AM

SOOOOOO happy for you!!

I did some crazy antics in the pool last night and felt all kinds of movement. Afterwards I was too tight to really check, but this morning I do not feel the tell tale coconut head in my ribs. Cautiously hopeful. I am going to swing my my midwife in the next day or so and see if she can feel around (or pop on the U/S for a moment) and give me the update before my moxibustion appointment in a few days.
Fingers crossed...

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#9 of 9 Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Whew Amy! What a relief!!

Fingers crossed for you, boatbaby

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page