Depressed. Anxious. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an appointment tomorrow at 36+4.

At my appointment a week ago, I got a VE and I'm already 2 cm and very effaced, not surprising considering I've been having prodromal for weeks, and had a technically pre-term baby last time.

I keep expecting these random contractions to turn into labor, and they keep not doing it. I'm huge to the point of beyond just being big and into being frickin incapacitated (short girl with tiny torso). Everything is sore. It hurts to walk. I feel like I don't get any rest because I'm a SAHM to a very active toddler and, you know, you don't get maternity leave from that. I had my daughter at 36+2, so today at 36+3 I'm officially more pregnant than I've ever been and I feel overdue even though I'm not even term yet, rotfl.

AND, at my appointment tomorrow my OB wants to do an u/s for growth. I'm getting more and more anxious about this. I never had a late u/s with Em, just the early dating one, and the 20 week anatomy scan. And he popped this on me as an afterthought literally at the last minute, coming up to the desk when I was making my appointment with the receptionist and saying "I'd like to do an u/s next week, too." I was like "why?" and he says "I just want to check the growth." Since it was like, last minute standing there in the waiting room, that was pretty much it and we didn't have a real talk about it. This is stressing me out BIG-TIME. Why does he want to do an u/s for growth. I'm assuming that the worry is that the baby is super big. Because I'm so enormous-- but that doesn't mean the baby is big, just that I am small! Or, my 36-week daughter was 7 lb 4 oz at birth, maybe he thinks that Ozzy is as big or even bigger. But I had no problems pushing out my daughter, I'm small but have very good hips, and she came out after just 30 minutes of pushing, which isn't bad for a first-timer with a sunny-side-up baby! I'm not at all worried about having a bigger baby, this being my second time around. But then again there was that worry about GD earlier on, I failed the 1-hour but then passed the 3-hour-- I had "one abnormal value" and but not a GD diagnosis.

I'm just all stressing out. I do like and trust my OB, he was my doctor with Emma, too, and he listens to me and understands how I feel about how I would like the birth to go, etc. But now I feel like this "growth ultrasound" has been sprung on me at the last moment and I don't feel like fighting over a "big baby" which is not a reason for induction even IF the ultrasound was accurate for growth which it ISN'T. Everyone I've talked to who has had a late u/s for growth, it's been off by like more than a pound. EVERYONE. I don't at all trust a growth u/s.

But I'm a huge worrier and now I'm like, well, let me go to the u/s and just see how he's doing. Because I constantly stress at the end of pregnancy that the baby isn't doing well. And I feel like if I just turned down the u/s, I would miss the chance of finding out early if there was a problem that I wouldn't want to miss. Ack.

And he's posterior. So was Em. And not engaged. Just like Em. And I'm scared I won't get regular contractions because of the head not being on the cervix and I'll just piddle around in irritable-uterus land with broken water until I end up taking pitocin to get real labor-- just like Em. I don't know if I can do a pitocin labor again without medication. I did it okay with her, but man it was so incredibly painful and thinking of it makes me cringe. Half of me is thinking "whatever, you did it once, you can do it again, you'll be fine" and the other half is thinking "if I hear the word Pitocin I'm just going to get an epidural right then and there."

And what if something ends up being wrong at the u/s, and we have to induce, and I end up on pitocin anyway.

And I'm having more contractions just sitting here, but I can tell that they are more piddly not-real-labor ones. I so just want to have this baby. I can't get anything done, I'm weepy and mean all the time, I'm a big ball of miserable.

But I feel like literally I'm never going to go into labor.

*sigh* Okay, hope no one actually went through the trouble of reading this enormous ramble. But I feel a bit better just getting it all out, haha.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#2 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 08:50 AM

Aw, Kelly.

You really will have this baby. And you really can do it. And you really are early still. Really.

And the u/s can be fun. You'll get to see your little guy one more time before he's born, and your ob sounds reasonable enough about things.

It'll be fine.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#3 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 AM

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#4 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
And the u/s can be fun. You'll get to see your little guy one more time before he's born, and your ob sounds reasonable enough about things.

It'll be fine.
ITA with this! Go into it with the mindset that a) you get a neat preview of Ozzy (mine got me SO much more excited to meet my little guy) and b) you'll know that bloodflow and AFI are in good shape. Then, chant, "Big babies don't scare me" over and over

On another note, have you thought of asking your OB about alternatives to pit should you need a boost? I'm going to talk to my OB about this in a week or two since I respond poorly to pit AND I am a VBAC. Using something homeopathic could be gentler on your body. Just a thought!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#5 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Ha, thanks for the moral support, guys... I'm trying to eat a PBJ and improve my mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post
On another note, have you thought of asking your OB about alternatives to pit should you need a boost? I'm going to talk to my OB about this in a week or two since I respond poorly to pit AND I am a VBAC. Using something homeopathic could be gentler on your body. Just a thought!
I have thought about this a bit. I've actually thought about asking him to strip my membranes. I'm trying to think of anything that will work if my body is ready, but won't push him out if things aren't ready yet. So, just got back from the park where I walked Em around in the stroller for about half an hour... been having as much sex as we have time and opportunity for... had spicy Mexican food last night... etc, haha. If I end up needing a medical induction I'd really like to try cervadil instead of Pitocin this time...

I'm just paranoid that I won't go into labor because he's posterior. But, I'm going to try to live on my birth ball for the next few days...

*exhales* What will be, will be. And thanks for the good words, ya'll... and yes, I'm going to enjoy getting a peek at Ozzy and reassuring myself that he's healthy and well tomorrow.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#6 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 AM

Another thing I have read about for position is walking up the stairs sideways. Or curb walking (one foot on, one foot in the street). Worth a shot!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#7 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 AM

My DD was posterior and I went into (allbeit hard) labor on my own... Position has nothing to do with going into labor... It's a hormone the baby releases that starts labor, not position.

Enjoy your ultrasound and getting a peek at your little one!

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#8 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 11:13 AM

You sound 'ripe'. I notice that whenever the "I'm so huge, can't move can't even rest' feelings come up' it means you are in the home stretch.

I totally feel you about the bigger baby too. Nugget is already measuring bigger than ds ever did. So even though I am not at the same point in pregnancy as I was with ds when he was born, I am carrying a baby bigger than him already. And I thought he was a tight fit too.

As for labor, relax. Would getting an epidural really be that bad? I know, I know, how 'evil' to say that. But seriously, if the thought of natural labor is stressing you out, give yourself permission to take something that will take the edge off. If you use it or not, doesn't matter. But give yourself permission to if you need it. It's like telling yourself 'no way am I allowed to get chocolate chip cookies'. Waaay too stressful. Try 'I can have one if xyz happens'. Notice, much less stress.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#9 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Even if your ob starts fear mongering (lol) about a big baby, you are still going to be well within your rights to refuse an induction, especially a pit induction, and hopefully he'll be respectful of that. I imagine that going past your gestation with your first is psychologically difficult. DD was induced at 41+1 and I know I'd have a bit of trouble going past that, you think, second baby, supposed to be earlier! But they're not always cooperative like that A few weeks ago I was so freaked out about possibly being pregnant another 6 weeks that I started reverse psyching myself out. Reading about the benefits to baby in those last weeks of pregnancy, etc. And reading about how much I do not want another induction! Pitocin hurts! Anxiety to have the baby NOW can really overwhelm the more important (yet sometimes subconscious) desire to have a nice, normal, natural birth and the best way to set ourselves up for that is to let it happen on its own. I know you know all this, it's just hard to keep it in the forefront when you're feeling uncomfortable!!

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#10 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
And he's posterior. So was Em. And not engaged. Just like Em. And I'm scared I won't get regular contractions because of the head not being on the cervix and I'll just piddle around in irritable-uterus land with broken water until I end up taking pitocin to get real labor-- just like Em. I don't know if I can do a pitocin labor again without medication. I did it okay with her, but man it was so incredibly painful and thinking of it makes me cringe. Half of me is thinking "whatever, you did it once, you can do it again, you'll be fine" and the other half is thinking "if I hear the word Pitocin I'm just going to get an epidural right then and there.".
If it helps, one of my sons WAS engaged, one wasn't, and in BOTH labors I piddled around in broken-water/irritable-uterus land. In the reading/research I've done, there's nothing wrong with this. It's a typical labor pattern. Would you consider, this time if it happens again, not going into the hospital until your body starts into active labor? For me, it always takes time and a lot of walking for the baby's head to engage and start pushing open the cervix. For some reason, my uterus waits a while before contractions start. A long while (12+ hours with the first, 10ish+ with the second). You don't HAVE to get pitocin to get labor going...you can wait and see if walking/ball bouncing/fluid loss does the trick.

As for the growth ultrasound, I'd have a frank conversation with your doctor about what he's looking for, and what the results will mean. If he's looking for big-baby concerns, then decline the ultrasound. You have a proven pelvis and you've given birth...there's no reason to worry about a big baby at this point.

s on going over your first due date, though. That's gotta feel like you just hit 40 weeks with no baby.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#11 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 12:00 PM

Neither of my kids engaged until well into labor.

I had one at 36 on the dot and one at 41+3.

If the U/S is really freaking you out, explain to your doctor why and ask him what you are presenting with that makes him think that this is necessary at this time and what information he is going to garner from it to make further decisions regarding your care. I mean really, you should have your mind put at ease.

Yes, pit sucks, I had it with my first for PROM and no labor that followed with distress the cord compression. After 12 hours I did get an epidural, I just couldn't take it anymore. But you can always change your mind later. If you've already had a successful vaginal birth, I can only imagine you'd have a another unless something completely out of the ordinary pops up.

I've been having prodromal labor for a week, and I'm only 35 weeks and 2 days now - so my true concern at this point is PROM and lung maturity. I am almost 3 cm dilated but have zero effacement and at a -3 station.

It will all work out you know?!

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#12 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 PM

I just have to tell you that my 1st child was born at 36 wks. and 1 day. My 2nd was born at 39 wks and 1 day or 6 days depending on what due date I went by. At 35 wks with my 2nd child my MW did a VE and I was 2 cm and 80%. I personally wouldn't do anything to bring on labor yet. Your still so early. Try to relax and enjoy your ultrasound tomorrow.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#13 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
The late u/s "to check growth" is usually a trick to get you to induce, and since women are often miserable at this point, they agree, and so it goes... I'd refuse the u/s.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#14 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 01:47 PM

Hey, Kelly!

I have been spending a LOT of time researching membrane stripping lately. It sounds like it may be beneficial in your case, and is listed as a non-invasive induction method. I didn't appreciate it, but we are in two different situations .

I have also heard of cervical cream, but haven't spent much time actually investigating it. Maybe some of these other mothers can tell you more, but it is less invasive than pit and works to soften/ripen your cervix as the membrane sweeping does.

When do you decide on the growth us?

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#15 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Ya'll are seriously the best... I need to hear all of this, especially that I can still go into labor with a posterior baby, that I don't need to worry about a "big baby", that there are worse things in the world than an epidural, and that basically I just need to chill out and stop worrying, rotfl.

I've decided to make plans for every day this week so that I don't sit around expecting to go into labor.

#16 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby~Braatens~Mama View Post
Hey, Kelly!

I have been spending a LOT of time researching membrane stripping lately. It sounds like it may be beneficial in your case, and is listed as a non-invasive induction method. I didn't appreciate it, but we are in two different situations .

I have also heard of cervical cream, but haven't spent much time actually investigating it. Maybe some of these other mothers can tell you more, but it is less invasive than pit and works to soften/ripen your cervix as the membrane sweeping does.

When do you decide on the growth us?
Hey, you posted while I was posting... and yeah, I'd be pissed in your situation you know... and really I'm debating asking for it or not. I'm still not even technically term, and just because I had one healthy 36-weeker doesn't mean I'd have another. So I'm going back and forth.

My cousin had a really successful induction with cervical cream after going past 42 weeks, ended up not needing pitocin, had a long but med-free and easy labor. So that is on my mind.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself, rotfl, since no one has even said the "induction" word yet and I'm mostly just building it up in my own stupid mind, hahaha. But I'm a worry wart by nature.

Well, the u/s is scheduled for tomorrow right before my regular appointment. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and do it. I could use the reassurance at this point that everything is okay, and my mom's going to come up to my appointment with me so that will help (she's way supportive). Whatever the u/s says, I don't have to even think about inducing anyway. Hell, I wouldn't anyway until at least 39 weeks or so, unless something was seriously wrong. Just because there's no guarantee at this point that his lungs are ready, no matter how big he is.

#17 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 02:01 PM

Well, best of luck! And I am hoping that after your us you will be able to breathe a little better.

I am eagerly awaiting your update (tomarrow after your us)

#18 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 02:32 PM

I'll also be having a quick u/s this week (36 weeks). They check growth, fluid levels and to make sure there's no placenta previa. It is "routine" at my doctor's office (OB & CNMs) and I'm fine with that. I know I could refuse it if I didn't want it. I enjoy getting a peek at the baby. I'm also a l&d nurse and know that induction at 36 weeks is completely inappropriate unless there is a MEDICAL reason - "big baby" is not one of those. There are nation-wide guidelines now that elective inductions before 39 weeks should not be done. And there is growing evidence being reported in mainstream medical literature about the benefits of babies staying inside longer. Even 38 weekers have poorer outcomes than 39 weekers do. It sounds like you trust your OB, and I really doubt that he would want to talk induction now. Even if he does, you are the one making decisions. All you have to do is say "No." I know it's hard, but try to enjoy these last few weeks of pregnancy and feeling baby movements. It's not all enjoyable, but try to focus on the positives. Baby will come at the perfect time for him/her. And you do have enough in you to make it. You may not feel fabulous, but you have just what it takes to grow this baby perfectly.

Kelly - Labor & Delivery RN, IBCLC, Wife of 22 years, Mom to 4
Proud Surrogate Mommy

#19 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 02:44 PM

Just wanted to chime in here on the late u/s -- my ob said she might want to do one, and it was just because I mentioned I "felt" bigger than I did with ds. I'm also small-framed, but have a long torso for my height. I think they just like to do them, maybe even feel like they are doing you a favor by doing it since most people like them. If they have a "reason" to do it, it will be covered by insurance. So they kind of look for these reasons, and do them when they can. It doesn't mean you have to rely on the measurements, or agree to induce. Good luck!
#20 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 02:46 PM

Aw, Kelly. No advice, just lots of sympathy and s.

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#21 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Nothing to add, just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow and hope that your US tomorrow gives you the reassurance you need! Baby Ozzy will let you know when he's ready to be born, I'm sure of it.

SAHM to one precious 2 year old and wife to my loving DH. And here we go again!
****5****10****15****20****25**joy.gif*30****35****40
#22 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 PM

Remember -- just because you have the ultrasound doesn't mean you have to induce. You already know that measurements can be off by a lot so try not to let those numbers bother you.

Also remember that a posterior baby can turn after labor starts. Just because he's posterior now doesn't mean he'll stay posterior.

Good luck! It's so hard to be pregnant at this point. Right now I feel like it will never, ever end and I'll be pregnant forever. I'm also a day further than I went with my daughter and it makes the waiting just that much harder.
#23 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 08:39 PM

My daughter was posterior and I went into labor on my own at 41 weeks 1 day after walking around for over a month 2 cm dilated and something like 75% effaced.

I had a long talk with my midwife today about extra testing because I'm 39 years old and feel huge. She said there's no indication my baby is big (uterus is only measuring a week ahead). And there would be no reason to suspect low amnio fluid unless my uterus was measuring small. She said it has to be 3 cm ahead or behind your current week to be considered "larger" or "smaller" than normal. She won't offer an ultrasound or NST until after 41 1/2 weeks. We talked about how it's standard practice with lots of OBs to offer lots of additional tests but there's no empirically supported to data to suggest they help at all or improve outcomes and offer lead to unnecessary worry about "big babies."

Personally I've love another ultrasound because I haven't seen my little bean since 20 weeks and it would reassure me to have another look. But I would not be talked into an induction for a "big baby." Ultrasound measurements are notoriously way out and I trust that my body won't make a baby I can't birth.

I'm not even having any internal exams this time because it was SOOOO discouraging to know I was dilated and effaced and having TONS of Braxton Hicks and still my baby came 8 days after her due date. This time I don't expect to go into labor until after my due date so it makes the waiting a bit easier, even though I'm miserable.

I've had two friends that had babies at 36 weeks and both had breathing problems. I hear the babies do a lot of growing/refining during these last few weeks so I'm happy to have my baby cook a little longer even though I'm miserable. (Did I mention I'm miserable?)

Good luck. Try not to stress. Just enjoy having another look at your beautiful boy!

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#24 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 PM

The only reason I would say to refuse the u/s is if you feel your Dr. will become uneasy if there is a 'big baby' threat. I know you won't, and I know, YOU know that they are off, but a Dr. may not be as comforted in that thought, as most haven't read all the studies and research on it. So that's the only thing that sticks out as in, don't do the u/s.

As far as induction goes.....even at term and after 40 weeks, ACOG says NOT to induce just because a macrosomic baby is expected. So if they pull the big baby card, and say to induce, refuse it based on recommendations of the org. that sets the standard for their practice. I agree with you, 30 min of pushing for a first time mom, with a posterior baby is AMAZING, so you really won't have any trouble even if your baby is big, as baby size really doesn't have much to do with 'can she push the baby out' Fat is squishy, even in a 10lb baby.

I know it's hard to be happy when you are so uncomfortable. I really do feel for you. Maybe you could treat yourself to every week milestone, go get a massage, pedicure, spa day, whatever. When we hit 40 weeks (next Tuesday) I'm doing a pedi, (maybe slip in a mani without telling hubby ). At 41 weeks, I'm going prenatal massage! This way, you have something to look forward to every week.

Oh, and TOTALLY second the find something to do everyday so your not just sitting around pregnant. That's my problem. It's regularly 105 degrees here these coming weeks, so I'm kinda limited on activities .

Oh, and drink lots of water to make sure you and baby are well hydrated in advance during the u/s to avoid the 'low fluid' stuff.

Much MUCH love to you!
#25 of 27 Old 08-24-2010, 11:36 PM

I had an u/s recommended to me last week because I felt decreased fetal movement and my amniotic fluid felt low to the midwife. I did end up going. Everything looked good, and I'm glad I went (despite the nearly $900 bill for a half-hour u/s... luckily we just pay 20% but still....). But I did mentally prepare myself for standing up for myself just in case something was a little bit off and I started getting induction pressure.

I went into labor with DD at 39w2d and I will be that far along tomorrow. I really thought the baby would be here by now and I am having a surprisingly hard time accepting that this pregnancy may be longer than the last, so I feel for you going past when you delivered your DD.

And finally, to paraphrase Hypnobabies, this birth will be unique to your baby (or something like that ). Just because things happened a certain way last time doesn't mean they will again this time. When I'm getting really anxious, I try to imagine everything going right... the baby rotating just before or during labor even though he is posterior now, etc., etc. Good luck and keep us updated after your appointment tomorrow!

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#26 of 27 Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post
As far as induction goes.....even at term and after 40 weeks, ACOG says NOT to induce just because a macrosomic baby is expected. So if they pull the big baby card, and say to induce, refuse it based on recommendations of the org. that sets the standard for their practice.
Right... thanks for reminding me of this... it's like "I'm not being the crazy NCB hippie this time, your own people say this!" rotfl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribord View Post
And finally, to paraphrase Hypnobabies, this birth will be unique to your baby (or something like that ). Just because things happened a certain way last time doesn't mean they will again this time.
I really need to hear this, too... While I'm happy with my last birth, there are definitely things I'm hoping to be different this time around, and when I think about it, it makes me more anxious.

Trying to be in positive mode, the appt is at 11:30, I'll definitely let ya'll know how it goes!

#27 of 27 Old 08-25-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

No time to really update right now, but things went well, no worries

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page