Second guessing name?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yikes! We have a name picked out - Simon. We wanted something convertible English-Spanish. But, now I'm having regrets/second thoughts!! Are you guys sure that your name choices are The ONE(s)?? Do you love them??

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#2 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 03:22 PM

I second guessed Maeryn a few times early on (before we knew she was a girl)

and both of my other kids names before they were born too...

but now they fit with their names so well that I cant imagine them named something else!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 03:27 PM

sometimes I have a moment, and then I scream at myself mentally! No, this is IT!!!

But I do occasionally regret DD's name (I waffle on this all the time, and DH completely disagrees- her name is Jessica and I sort of wish I'd gone with Jacinta, which DH doesn't like- either suits her well), so I think if you feel like you need to reevaluate, go ahead and do so. There's no harm in having a couple of back ups once the baby is born and you get a look at him.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#4 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Simon is a wonderful name! It's the one we've picked out too. You have great taste!

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
#5 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 04:10 PM

Absolutely second-guessing our name choices. I always have, though...I think it must be normal??

I go through days when I feel pretty blah about the name, then wonder at myself...how can I possibly give her a name that I'm not wild about?! Thing is, I've looked through thousands of names and these two or three are the winning combination of I like them, dh likes them, and they're not going to spell something obscene with initials. There is no girl name (other than one obscene initial one) that I would feel sure of. And there is only one boys' name I'd feel sure of--but she's not a boy! Gah!

The only name I regret, just a little, after our kids are born, named, and loved, is the one that was too common. Like top-10 common. I wish we'd gone for the more adventurous name we had picked out. With our other names, I love them. I wavered on all of them at around this point, but feel sure now that they were good choices.

Simon is a great name, btw.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#6 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 04:29 PM

I wasn't always sure with ds's name and we're not 100% on this baby's name but I don't let it stress me out. We keep a running list with the names ranked by our combined preference so if we ended up looking at the baby and deciding it didn't fit, we'd have some other ideas. If you're not sure, keep looking at names. Give your baby the best you come up with by the time of birth.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#7 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 08:00 PM

I'm certainly second guessing name choices -- especially for boys! This baby may not be name until at least a couple days after the birth.

For what it's worth, I think Simon is a fantastic. It would be on my list if my husband hadn't nixxed it because it's his cousin's name.
#8 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 PM

My little man is his name. Don't know how to explain it. There have been a few days when I don't like the way the whole name sounds... but there has never really been any doubt as to what his name is since we first strung it together. I don't know how to explain it... Just a really warm, comfortable, RIGHT feeling.

I the name Simon. What were some of your other choices? Maybe your won't really feel the name of your baby until you can look at him and hold him in your arms.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#9 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 08:42 PM

I think it's normal to have second thoughts. It's a HUGE responsibility! If worse comes to worst, I have heard of people changing the name after the baby is born because it just doesn't fit. But I'd go with your instincts. You liked Simon. It's a great name. Maybe just chalk it up to your hormones messing with you!

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#10 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Yep, with our second we were sure we had a name and half an hour after his birth, the midwife said, so your naming him "John" and we looked at each other and knew in that moment that we were at square one, that name didn't fit. We ended up with my dad's name, it was a surprise to us. I think some babies you just need to meet first.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#11 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 09:52 PM

We can't figure out a girl name for anything. We finally got one...but the flow isn't good. It'll work, but I'm just not sold on it. I don't know what we're going to do if this baby really is a girl...

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page