Pregnancy/Birthing/Newborn and classes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This issue has been eating away at me throughout this pregnancy. And I need some input from people not invested in this decision.

I found out this January (before the positive HPT) about a nursing masters program I could attend to get a nursing degree without an undergrad in nursing. Which is awesome and I jumped at the chance at.

Thing is, I need to have all my pre-reqs filled before even applying. And I can only apply in December. So if I miss it, I have to wait an entire year.

I have 4 classes total I need to finish up.

All are lab courses.

I am signed up for an Anatomy course this fall. Starts on Monday. However, it's literally from 2-7pm twice a week. Not counting commuting time. So 10hrs+. And that's just going to class, no studying time factored in.

Ds was a high needs, intensely colic baby. As in, he screamed more hours than he slept or was awake. Let's just say I don't remember getting more than 2hrs worth of sleep until he was closer to 4mos old.

The thing is, if this baby is like him, there is NO way I can pass this class. For one, with that amount of sleep deprivation, good luck to memorizing anything. And Anatomy is all about memorizing.

Plus, when this baby is due, it means I'm 1mos into the course. However, if this baby *is* like ds, I am way past the drop date.

And I need to get A's in all of these classes, because this program is competitive.

BUT it was insanely hard to even get into Anatomy. I was on the wait list until someone dropped it. And I *need* this course before I can take 2 of the 3 classes left.

And then there's the babysitting issue. I have one of the days covered, the other, not so much.

And most of the time is lab time, so I don't think I'll be able to get breaks to go pump.

But if I don't take it now, I could potentially lose another year before finishing up my pre-reqs to apply.

I also know myself. I know I'm stubborn enough to stick to it, even if it's bad for me/my health.

Gah, see the predicament? I want to, but I don't want to. I'm confident I'll finish it if I start it, but I'm not sure if the added stress to everyone (including me) will be worth it. And I know freshly pp is so not the time to add stress.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow that is really tough. I wish I had a good answer for you. Could you talk to a TA or professor about your need to pump and see how that would work? Sometimes lab time is more structured and sometimes it is more laid back so it would be good to know.

My ds was extremely mellow and still I felt mentally unable to really concentrate on work when he was new. I worked from home so I imagine that will be a lot like your study hours. Of course at the same time, I want to say "oh new babies aren't THAT much work" and at worst, it will only be 3-4 months of misery.

Maybe one thing to think about is this is your baby's entrance to life and while you are an experienced mama and can probably juggle a million things, your baby is inexperienced at everything and will be picking up cues from you on how to relate to the world that will affect him/her the rest of his life. If you're foreseeing a high stress level or a lot of distraction that you can prevent, it might be worth the sacrifice. At least it should be compared to your family's need for you to get into this program/change jobs sooner than later.

Good luck! I can see what that is such a tough decision!

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#3 of 8 Old 08-24-2010, 07:43 PM

personally I wouldn't do it. There's no way I'd be able to handle an anatomy class with a newborn. Everyone has different desires/priorities but I couldn't give up breastfeeding (which you pretty much would be doing) not being able to pump for 10 hours several times a week.. Esp not without getting your supply going good first. I can't tell you what you should do only what *I* would do. And that would be to wait. Is there anyway to take the class in the spring? If you have 4 classes to finish up and have to do them all before you can apply in Dec then would you even be able to apply this Dec? How long do the courses last?

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#4 of 8 Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 PM

Hard to pass up an opportunity like that! Honestly though, you will NEVER get that time back with your newborn...whereas you could potentially get into this program next year, right? I don't know how helpful that is, but it's something to think about.

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
#5 of 8 Old 08-24-2010, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiana View Post
Is there anyway to take the class in the spring? If you have 4 classes to finish up and have to do them all before you can apply in Dec then would you even be able to apply this Dec? How long do the courses last?
I can take it in the Spring. I am not applying this December, but next.

The courses are 16 weeks.

There was an Anatomy class in the summer, but it filled up on the first day of sign ups, and I wasn't allowed to sign up until later.

I was thinking of taking 2 classes in the spring and then winter classes, but since they are all lab courses, and Anatomy is a hugely long lab course, there's scheduling conflicts there.

If need be and I wait a year, I only have to deal with one lab course each semester.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#6 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I didn't find anatomy to be terrible b/c it makes sense, but I also wouldn't do it this semester.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#7 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post

Maybe one thing to think about is this is your baby's entrance to life and while you are an experienced mama and can probably juggle a million things, your baby is inexperienced at everything and will be picking up cues from you on how to relate to the world that will affect him/her the rest of his life. If you're foreseeing a high stress level or a lot of distraction that you can prevent, it might be worth the sacrifice. At least it should be compared to your family's need for you to get into this program/change jobs sooner than later.
I hadn't thought about it that way. Hmmm, good point.

I doubt there will be much down time in lab. I know, from previous biology lab experience, that we'll either be dissecting or doing all the hands on stuff that we need to do to learn. Plus, it's a long lab twice a week, so I can only imagine all the 'fun' things we will be doing. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiana View Post
personally I wouldn't do it. There's no way I'd be able to handle an anatomy class with a newborn. Everyone has different desires/priorities but I couldn't give up breastfeeding (which you pretty much would be doing) not being able to pump for 10 hours several times a week.. Esp not without getting your supply going good first. I can't tell you what you should do only what *I* would do. And that would be to wait. Is there anyway to take the class in the spring? If you have 4 classes to finish up and have to do them all before you can apply in Dec then would you even be able to apply this Dec? How long do the courses last?
This is my biggest fear, actually. Ds was really colicky because he was allergic to corn. I can only imagine what would have happened had he been formula fed. That, and we can't really afford formula, not when I can make milk for free. Dh's side of the family has major issues too with allergies and insane diabetes issues. And they were all fed goat's milk formula.

I wouldn't apply this December but next semester.

The anatomy class is a pre-requisite for both Physiology and Microbiology.
Then I have the second half of Chemistry I need to take, but I was told in no uncertain terms I could NOT take it while pregnant. We would be dealing with organic chemicals, aka the baddies.

The thing is, childcare is the soft spot. With the Anatomy class having so many hours, I'll be stretching it. I have already taken 2 classes that were nowhere near as many hours, and I had to pretty much study on my own, with ds. Dh works 60hrs+ and my family can only pinch hit so often. With Anatomy, I'd be using up pretty much all the available childcare for the actual class time, leaving me on my own to study for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn82 View Post
Hard to pass up an opportunity like that! Honestly though, you will NEVER get that time back with your newborn...whereas you could potentially get into this program next year, right? I don't know how helpful that is, but it's something to think about.
That's true. It's only a year. A year is nothing, in the grand scheme of things. But it feels so long right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
I didn't find anatomy to be terrible b/c it makes sense, but I also wouldn't do it this semester.
Yea, I'm not so worried about Anatomy being a 'hard' class, but I know there's tons of memorizing. Which is hard to do when sleep deprived.

Thanks for all the input. Lots of new factors to consider.

Ami

#8 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
As I remember, Anatomy lab was pretty boring... lots of plastic bones and muscles. Physiology was harder. But for me, it would be the scheduling that is the problem... don't know why they make it 5 hours at a time? Mine was just normal, 2.5 hours at a time. I'd definitely wait. In January, baby will be 4 months and pumping not so hard.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page