Post-Partum Check-Ups? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At my Monday MW appointment, which I SO did not want to go to, as she is 2 hours away (but did anyway), they were scheduling my next appointment (does anyone else's weekly now feel like a punishment?) and said if I had Baby by then, it could be my 2 day check-up.

TWO DAYS?! I don't want to put my baby or myself in the car for a 4 hour roundtrip 2 days post-partum. They acted like I was being unreasonable and said something about a blood test (for me or baby???).

DH says our MW is not the boss of us and we can just go to a local pediatrician. I'm thinking: do we even need to go anywhere at all? Can anyone shed a little light and discuss whether I am being unreasonable here? Why does my baby need to be checked on 2 days out?

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#2 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 10:49 AM

I am thinking that's the standard newborn heel prick to catch things such as metabolic disorders before they threaten babys life.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
I am thinking that's the standard newborn heel prick to catch things such as metabolic disorders before they threaten babys life.
Can that not be done immediately after birth? Or what about even a week later?

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#4 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 AM

well it needs performed twice, my midwife prefers to do it at 1 day old and again at 1 week old.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMcGluestick View Post
Can that not be done immediately after birth? Or what about even a week later?
I would say to get the baby checked out, but I'm not sure why it couldn't be immediately after the birth.

Definitely talk to your MW about this. Stress how you don't want to be taking such a long drive with a newborn right away, and ask if she can do any procedures at/after the birth, or if instead you can take the baby to your local ped.

I definitely wouldn't want a two-hour car ride with my newborn after just giving birth. That sounds like torture.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#6 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 AM

Just blow it off and if she asks you about it tell her you took the kid to the pediatrician. I'll be taking mine afterwards to the pedi like I did with the last one, born wed went fri and again monday. That is completely unreasonable when there are other competent caregivers within a reasonable drive.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#7 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 11:17 AM

I would not drive ANYWHERE with a two day old baby. My midwife comes to our home at three days postpartum to do the heel stick. It's my understanding that it can be done anywhere in the first couple of weeks. Certainly, a pediatrician can do it. You should have identified one already and can just make an appointment for after the baby is born. However, my midwife also suggests avoiding a pediatrician for at least two weeks after a baby is born because they can "diagnose" all kinds of things wrong that aren't really wrong in that time. For example, my oldest had pretty severe jaundice and we were able to treat it by setting him in a sunny window, whereas a pediatrician would have admitted him to the hospital (serious overkill in our situation!). I am certainly not saying that you shouldn't have your baby checked a couple of days postpartum, but again, no way I would be going on a drive anywhere. (I don't leave my home at all for ten days to allow myself to heal and bond with the baby and I know women who don't leave their homes for 40 days after birth for the same reason. I healed faster after my second birth with that approach).
#8 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 11:21 AM

The metabolic screening can't be done correctly until after your milk comes in. Your baby needs to have the milk in his system in order for the results to be accurate. Not likely at 2 days old.

I wouldn't want to drive that far either. Does your midwife not do pp visits at home? Mine doesn't do any before the birth, but comes a few times afterwards.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#9 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 AM

Our "two day" visit actually happened at 5 days pp and it was to check baby's weight, output, and jaundice check as well as addressing any bf'ing concerns ( thrush, etc). I think the appt is important but doing it later around 5 days is better because the weight loss and jaundice levels peak at that point. Two days is stupid.

Samantha, married to Holly for over five years . DD #1 born 12/13/06 , DD #2 born 8/18/10 and 2 furballs of indeterminate age.
#10 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 12:20 PM

The newborn screen can wait, our MW last time tried to tell us there was a tight window of when it could be performed and then when we went to the pediatrician he said we could do it anytime and went just under 1 week postpartum. You can go to a local pediatrician! You can even call around and maybe find one that will do a home visit even! There are a few in SF, mine will, but we always go see him since it is usually my first time out and we can pick up lunch and get some fresh air.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#11 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 12:35 PM

I'm not sure on the timing, but our midwives come to us for the post-partum check. Once at 24 to 36 hours and again at 3 days. Hugely relieved to not have to drive 1 hr. plus with a newborn on one of the first back to school days! If you do have to go, please stop at an hour and take baby out! Healthy full term babies will have low oxygen levels after extended periods in a car seat, on that angle, it's not good for them!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#12 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 12:49 PM

our MW comes to our house for the 1,3, and 7 day visit...

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#13 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 01:18 PM

My MW comes to see me 2 days after the baby is born, and then she either comes to see us 1 week after or we go to see her (whichever I am up to).
I also can also see her 2 more times up to 6 weeks post partum for momma and well-baby checks.

Getting the PKU test (heel pricks) is completely up to me. She'll write me an order for the lab if I want, or if I don't have a pediatrician yet. but since my MW is not my child PCP she doesn't normally do that.

Personally I did not do the PKU testing with my last child and I most likely will not with this child either. I bring my kids in for yearly checkups and when they are very sick or have a spider or scorpion bite. Otherwise they don't see the Dr that much, and since we don't do vax - I keep track of growth and weight at home for hte 1st year as well. Unless theres an issue.
#14 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryknowlicious View Post
Personally I did not do the PKU testing with my last child and I most likely will not with this child either.
We are not doing it this time either.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#15 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 02:10 PM

I definitely would not be going to a "2 day" check up. I had my son in a hospital and once we left the hospital I didn't see my CNM again until my 6wk check up... all baby visits were done by my pediatrician.

We also don't do the PKU heel prick blood test.

SAH Mama to Cooper (3-9-08) and Sawyer (9-3-10).   
#16 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 03:06 PM

I would not do that trip with a 2 day old. I do however feel that having an appt of some sort is helpful in those first few days.
Our midwives do a home visit after 24 hrs and on day three. They also sometimes do the one week visit in our home especially if you have older ones that you would have to drag to the office.

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
#17 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 03:34 PM

The earliest the newborn screening (pku) can be done is at 12 hours of age. 24 hours or after is better. The more feedings a baby has the better and gives you more accurate results. Our hospital does the pku before the baby is discharged. The only time anyone has to bring the baby back to do that test is if they leave the hospital before 12 hours. We used to send a home health nurse for an in-home post-partum visit 2-3 days after discharge, but since that program got cancelled the pediatricians now schedule a 2-5 day appointment in the office. The main purpose is to check the baby's color for jaundice, and to check the weight.

I would not make a 2 hour trip 2 days post partum either. I think you can arrange to have some local follow-up care if you need it, or wait a week or 2 and then go.

Kelly - Labor & Delivery RN, IBCLC, Wife of 22 years, Mom to 4
Proud Surrogate Mommy

#18 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Is she wanting to check YOU out at two days? Check for healing, bleeding issues, nursing issues, etc?

For your baby, I'd just start seeing your pediatrician.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#19 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 05:01 PM

I have never heard of a homebirth midwife asking mothers to have an office visit at 2 days PP. My midwives (I'm on my third) come one day after the birth, 2-3 days after the birth, and 5 days after the birth. My current midwife has a 2 week office visit that I personally think is ridiculous, my first MW had a 6 week office visit and my second MW did all of her visits at home. I can't imagine dragging myself and my brand new baby out of the house to drive 2 hours each way at 2 days PP. None of my midwives would have even wanted me out of bed at 2 days PP!

Maybe (hopefully!) they meant they would come to you at that time and date?
#20 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 05:03 PM

At two days with dd we were getting released from the birth center. (my choice since i was having trouble bfing). I had a two week check up with my MW but nothing before that.

Heel prick should be done after meconium is out of baby's system. And dd didn't have it done twice. I've never heard that before. I would not be traveling 4 hours at 2 days pp unless its going home (from hospital or birth center).

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#21 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would NOT NOT NOT leave the house at 2 days PP. I took ds to the ped @ 4 days last time because they said they wanted him in right away and I listened. It was absolutely stupid. Very painful and miserable experience and make me bleed so much more. I had the PKU done then but my midwife would have done it from home the next day had I waited.

This time, my midwife will come back to do the PKU as soon as my milk comes in (and the baby metabolizes it) so I'll call when that happens. If I were you, I'd go to who ever is the closest to do it once after your milk comes in.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#22 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies for confirming my suspicions that this was absolutely out of the question.

I know some of you have been incredulous that my MW doesn't do a home visit after the birth. I'm shocked too and I never thought to ask when I was picking a care provider. The thing is, she is the only MW anywhere even remotely near me who would give me a homebirth at all, so ultimately that is why I chose her. Also, for a MW, she is not very natural friendly and she says a lot of things that I actually wonder: have you done ANY reading on this topic? She's adamant that I get another (another!) ultrasound if I go to 41 weeks. (not happening)

But there's no misunderstanding, she definitely expects me to come in 2 days PP. I have been in her office many times when other very newly PP ladies, some who live even farther than I do, are getting themselves and baby checked on. When I told her that I had no interest in a 4 hour car trip right after birth, she acted, like she always does, like I am so zany and hilarious and such a kidder. Granted, I am kind of a jokey lady, but I do not approach that type of discussion in any way but a serious one. I don't want to go ANYWHERE 2 days PP. This is why I am having a homebirth, lady. I know she really thinks I am odd and a tough customer because I always ask "zany" questions like "why do I need to do ____?" A radical I am!

Babies that young have to nurse constantly, not to mention the car seat issue ilovemyavery brought up. And OMG, I will be bleeding still! I am not crazy! That trip would take ALL day and be so hard on the whole family. Thank you all for backing me up.

I will likely just book an appointment with a pediatrician about 1 week PP, but thanks for the heads up aloneinid about the possibility for a bunch of diagnostic crapola. I am so not worried that my MW will "object." She works for me; end of story. Good thing I have had PUPPP and been able to form this rhino skin so readily! Ha ha.

#23 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMcGluestick View Post
Thank you ladies for confirming my suspicions that this was absolutely out of the question.

I know some of you have been incredulous that my MW doesn't do a home visit after the birth. I'm shocked too and I never thought to ask when I was picking a care provider. The thing is, she is the only MW anywhere even remotely near me who would give me a homebirth at all, so ultimately that is why I chose her. Also, for a MW, she is not very natural friendly and she says a lot of things that I actually wonder: have you done ANY reading on this topic? She's adamant that I get another (another!) ultrasound if I go to 41 weeks. (not happening)

But there's no misunderstanding, she definitely expects me to come in 2 days PP. I have been in her office many times when other very newly PP ladies, some who live even farther than I do, are getting themselves and baby checked on. When I told her that I had no interest in a 4 hour car trip right after birth, she acted, like she always does, like I am so zany and hilarious and such a kidder. Granted, I am kind of a jokey lady, but I do not approach that type of discussion in any way but a serious one. I don't want to go ANYWHERE 2 days PP. This is why I am having a homebirth, lady. I know she really thinks I am odd and a tough customer because I always ask "zany" questions like "why do I need to do ____?" A radical I am!

Babies that young have to nurse constantly, not to mention the car seat issue ilovemyavery brought up. And OMG, I will be bleeding still! I am not crazy! That trip would take ALL day and be so hard on the whole family. Thank you all for backing me up.

I will likely just book an appointment with a pediatrician about 1 week PP, but thanks for the heads up aloneinid about the possibility for a bunch of diagnostic crapola. I am so not worried that my MW will "object." She works for me; end of story. Good thing I have had PUPPP and been able to form this rhino skin so readily! Ha ha.
Next baby you need to move down here to the Austin/San Antonio area. we have a slew of midwives from the way-too-medically variety to the reading-your-aura-variety.
I hate thinking this chick was your only option.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page