Stomach virus with bonus trip to labor and delivery - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday I came down with pretty intense gastrointestinal symptoms while at work. It was manageable for most of the day, then got worse in the evening. I had DH put DD to bed, because all I could do was lie in bed, and then later called the midwife to see if there was anything I could take. She recommended scraping an apple into puree to release the pectin, and taking that. I did, but it was too little, too late. Every time I drank anything it came right back out again.

At 3 AM I was miserable enough to call the midwife again, and she decided to have me come into L&D to get some fluids. So DH, DD, and I all took a late night practice run over to the hospital. After they checked me in, I sent DD and DH home to get some rest, and the nurse got me hooked up on an IV. She had some trouble finding a vein in my hand because by that point I was started to get dehydrated. They pushed some fluids in quickly and I was finally able to get some rest. They checked me just to make sure nothing else was going on, and they checked the baby's heart rate with an EFM. She did great the entire time; I was the one who was knocked out!

After the first liter I started feeling better, and they started a second and took a urine sample. The urine sample showed that the fluids were doing the trick, so they released me after I finished the second bag (they would have released me earlier, but I wanted the whole thing). They think I just had a stomach virus that should resolve in 24-48 hours.

So we kind of got a run through of what it will be like to check in at the hospital late at night, which was actually kind of nice. The nurses were great and the one attending to me had had two babies with my midwife, which seemed like a good sign. The IV made me feel so much better, and it reminded me that having a heplock or an IV is not the end of the world, at least when you are tired and dehydrated. Good to know as I am waiting for my GBS results to come back. I do hope though, that the next time I'm there I'm well rested, walking around, and NOT attached to an IV. And I'm in the room with the labor tub.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glad to hear you are feeling better and had a fairly positive experience with you L&D! Sounds like it was a little scary at first!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I have had diarrhea and nausea for a few days... hoping I don't get what you have!!! But the kids are back to school and so we will all get sick, I'm sure.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014

User Tag List