Baby Turned Breech! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

I've mostly been a lurker in our DDC during this pregnancy, but I need some like-minded women to talk to about my baby who decided to flip breech sometime in the past two days!!

I'm 36 weeks + 4 days today, and my midwife came for my HB home visit today. LO has been head down every other time she's checked, but today she couldn't find his head. She did a VE to see if she could feel it that way and no dice. So, she sent me in for a u/s to find out his exact position. Sure enough, he's breech! I know this is a new development, because he has hiccups constantly, and I definitely felt them by my cervix yesterday. I think he flipped last night while I was lying in bed. Anyway, my midwife will not attend a breech birth at home, and her back-up doctor won't attend one in the hospital either. (We're in IL, and she doesn't know of anyone who will attend a breech HB - I'm sure there are some, but I haven't started searching yet.)

Anyway, my MW recommends moving fast - breech tilt and warm bath w/ ice pack near baby's head tonight (plus anything else from Spinning Babies I want to try.) and then tomorrow try to see a chiro who can perform Webster technique and an acupuncturist for moxibustion. Also, she gave me a huge list of doctors who perform versions and/or "say" they deliver breech in the hospital. She said she thinks I should get in for a version on Friday! This all seem so stinkin' fast to me. I mean, if we do a version, do we really have to do it this soon?? If he was able to flip head up this late in the game, shouldn't he be able to flip back on his own? Dealing with a breech was so far off of my radar for this pregnancy, the worst I was worried about was a posterior baby, now I'm really overwhelmed by having to switch gears this late in the game! I still haven't given up on my HB, but I'm nervous about baby not flipping and then being stuck with my only option being a c-section.

Oh, and irony of all, I'm a brand-new provisional Bradley teacher/doula - you'd think I'd be able to take something like this in stride and be totally prepared, but I'm not!! Studying about a scenario in a book or teaching about it in class is a lot different than dealing with it when it's your own family/baby at stake.

Anyone BTDT or have any advice?

Me (27) and : DH (29), DD 12/08, DS 9/10, and #3 due 04/13!! Knitting, gardening/preserving, sewing, doulaing, loving God & others. Dreaming of my future farm...
#2 of 7 Old 08-25-2010, 10:31 PM

nope just good luck

i know how hard it is to find someone who will still do things naturally in the face of problems in Illinois. I was blessed to have an awesome doctor who talked me into homebirth but even she was not able to have her homebirth she wanted!

If baby can still flip breech, they can still flip vertex! So keep up hope!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 7 Old 08-25-2010, 10:37 PM

DDDC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post

If baby can still flip breech, they can still flip vertex! So keep up hope!
Absolutely! DS flipped breech right around 36 weeks and then (after A LOT of worrying from me) he flipped back at 38.5 weeks. Do what you can, it'll happen.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#4 of 7 Old 08-25-2010, 10:43 PM

Oh, that's stressful. I hope baby will flip back to head-down for you.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#5 of 7 Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 PM

When I was pregnant with twins, ds2 was breech, flipped to vertex, then a couple days later flipped back to breech. This was at 37 or 38 weeks, I believe. Pretty close to the home stretch. I think, if vertex was more comfy for your child for ALL those weeks, there's a good likelihood he will flip back for you. In ds2's case, he was obviously a breech-loving kid and didn't like his stint with being vertex.

In the meantime, try all the spinningbabies.com stuff...plus there's always chiro/acupuncture techniques. I've heard women swear by several other remedies...vibrators placed above the baby's head, cold packs of peas on their heads, strong flashlights, and standing on your head in a pool. Do what you can, and I'm guessing he'll flip back!

Best of luck to you! Also try posting in the general "I'm pregnant" forum...you'll get a lot more feedback and ideas about this.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#6 of 7 Old 08-26-2010, 12:12 AM

I am breech too... trying everything BUT the version. I am really uncomfortable with that routine. I hear moxibustion has a very high success rate. Sending you head down vibes and off to get my cold pack...

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#7 of 7 Old 08-26-2010, 04:46 PM

I'm sending you lots of heads down vibes! This baby was breech until I was just shy of 37 weeks and then flipped. I went in to consult with the midwives OB, and they actually don't do versions until 39 weeks, and in my case with Labor Day in there, I would have been about 39wks and 4days. I was also freaking out about things happening so fast, but when we actually met, the hospital had recently changed it's policy due the ACOG recommendation of avoiding non-necessary births between 37 and 39 weeks (early full term). This particular hospital does version/inductions when they do them, or version attempt/c-sections, and they wait until you're at least 39 weeks.

Anyway, I'm sure you've read all the tips and tricks, breech tilts, pulsitilla, chiro, accupuncture, hot/cold packs, etc. Best of luck! I hope baby turns for you soon, soon soon!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page