Feels like a BH... But I feel it in my back??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay so every labor is different... And DD's was a TON of back labor and LOW back pain because she was posterior. So far this baby has been presenting anterior (woot!) so the off and on contractions I have had have been different... All of my contractions with DD were low, below my belly button and in my back.

This started the other night... It feels like a BH... Everything tightens up, my belly gets hard to where you can see the outline of baby bottom and back, lol... But it's in my back too... My entire back, from the top of my belly/uterus area all the way down. It's starting up near the top of my uterus (like a BH) and it's a gentle (thought a bit uncomfortable) downward release.

Is this a non-back labor contraction? Is this just a BH? It started late Monday night... I had a lot of 'full moon' action, alot of cramping, hip and pelvic discomfort and alot of this BH but in my back too stuff... It's been happening since then, though a lot less frequent.

I'm not holding my breath... But wondering if maybe this is early labor... My midwife lives an hour and 20 min away so I don't want to be in the 'umm... I'm not sure' mode if it suddenly picks up but feels the same and have her miss the birth... We're prepared to catch baby ourselves but it's not the way we necessarily WANT to do it lol.

This is my 3rd baby but only my 2nd natural labor... DS was induced at 37 weeks... DD was a hit hard, hit fast labor because of her position... So this gentle tugging/hugging/squishing type feeling that takes my breath a bit is new to me...

Your thoughts, oh wise ladies??

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 11:50 PM

That actually sounds like my 3 posterior labors. i know they say every labor is different - but that back only squeezing was all i felt for each of my labors.
And i never held my breath untill transition.

Maybe call your MW just for a quickie check? can't hurt nothing.
#3 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

My midwife is an hour and 20 min away so it's not as easy as that... LOL. She'd tell me to lay down and drink a glass of wine probably, haha.

This baby is in NO way posterior. I feel bum and back very distinctly. My posterior labor was all very low back pain, from my belly button down.. This one seems higher and a lot gentler... Though uncomfortable, not at all like hers was where I thought someone was cutting my muscles out of my back, lol. Currently I feel bum above my belly button and the curve of a back/spine along the left side, which should indicate an LOA position. I could just be one of those luckies with back labor no matter what too... grr.

Thanks mama... It just seems weird that it's not like DD's... But hers was hard and fast and didn't ease into labor like everyone claims happens. I woke up with contractions every 8 min, within an hour they were every 5.

~ Fe ~
#4 of 8 Old 08-25-2010, 11:58 PM

This probably won't help you figure out if it's labor or not, but for what it's worth, DS was anterior throughout the last part of my pregnancy and labor and I had intense back pain during my entire labor, including pushing. I even had my MW questioning if he was posterior, but nope, he came out anterior as expected. SO, it's possible to feel that type of pain without a posterior baby, just as it's possible to have a posterior baby and NO back pain.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#5 of 8 Old 08-26-2010, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking I may be one of those 'lucky' ones that just has back labor... These have a slight pattern, though loose and not completely consistent... About 15ish min apart. It's def mimicking a BH in terms of the tightening all around but it's a downward pressure release and baby isn't moving during it. My back is now sore... Sigh. I'd get in the shower but if it IS labor, I don't want to hinder it... I WANT baby to come out, lol.

Off to go lay down and listen to my come out baby script and possibly my birthing day affirmations... Maybe I can coax this baby out?? LOL.

~ Fe ~
#6 of 8 Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 AM

If it's time, taking a shower won't make the contractions go away I'd opt for the shower!! (And I think I'm one of those who gets back labor no matter what too. Yippee for us.)

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#7 of 8 Old 08-26-2010, 02:25 AM

DDCC

Showers are a good option during early labor, since they DON'T slow down labor like a soak in the tub would. How are you feeling today? I hope you slept last night! Starting labor exhausted is no fun. Here's hoping you go into labor soon, or are already in labor

Proud wife to my handsome husband partners.gif Malachi David (2010) and Jeremiah Daniel (2012) joined our family via two lovely homebirths. Rainbow.gif Doula for 7 years and now finally an apprentice midwife! bellycast.gif 

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF

#8 of 8 Old 08-26-2010, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

LOL, I slept last night... But it's almost 2 am and I have yet to go to sleep!

I tried listening to my hypnobabies and just couldn't get comfortable... Laying down makes the back 'spasms' worse. I'm tired but laying down makes me very uncomfortable...

I'm feeling it a lot more in my back than my belly now... my back, wrapping down in through my pelvis. I was hoping the shower would take the edge off so I could at least lay down... I envisioned labor stating at night but I meant that I wanted to sleep FIRST. I've been up since 7am YESTERDAY (it's now Thursday).

I'm still not sure it's 'real' yet... It has a loose pattern but so far hasn't gotten stronger (just isolated more) or closer together. I think I may take some cimicifuga (if I can find mine...) to try to get the contractions to focus and lay down... I'm tempted to put the heating pad on my back... Just so I can catch a little bit of sleep!

I'm currently thinking this is prodromal and if I could get to sleep, it would probably stop... Which stinks but at the same time, even prodromal labor is doing something so it's all positive either way!

~ Fe ~

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page