Membrane strpping/sweeping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey wondering what you all are thinking about membrane stripping or sweeping? I'm 38 weeks right now and thinking about it, I have a midwifery appointment tomorrow....I know they will be offering, they offered last week. I did it last time, but this time I feel a bit less prepared for baby to come so maybe I shouldn't!!

Thanks!

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 PM

Just remember: membrane sweeping/stripping is only effective if your body and baby are ready. You all still have a couple weeks before your LO's EDD... so there is no hurry, (unless it is a medical emergency) even though I know it feels like there should be sometimes. Best of luck! Keep us updated!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#3 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 PM

I had it done with my daughter (I can't remember if I did with my son) and it did start something but it wasn't "real" and I ended up with an induction anyway due to my BP and swelling.

It is something I think I will allow after my due date this time though.

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
#4 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 02:53 PM

I had mine stripped with my son at 41+3, and while I did go into labor, the stripping lead his head to turn acynclitic, which moved us from crampy braxton hicks contractions periodically that got us to 4 cm (then the strip) to active labor contractions for 27 hrs that only got us to 6cm, and then a transfer, then a CS. So I wouldn't do it.

And while, yes, there are things that won't put you into labor if your body isn't ready, they can sometimes put you into a constant crappy prodromal labor, or a labor that needs more stimulation to keep going.

I'd say don't do it, just wait for BABY to send the signal to your body to get things going when he/she is ready.

I know this sounds really really bummish, but yeah, pregnancy is really crappy and uncomfortable at the end, but it's worth it to have a normal labor flow and birth, and at a time where you know baby has decided to come when they are truly ready. We turned 40 weeks today, and I know how it is to want baby out asap, but I wish someone would have told me the risk of going through what I went through before we chose it, as we wouldn't have chose it and could possibly not be in the crappy VBAC situation we are in now.

Hang in there mama! Ask for a shoulder massage instead if you are getting anxious, or go get a prenatal massage.
#5 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 02:55 PM

It's not offered here. No undies off until well into the active stage. If I was still in the States I would turn it down personally.

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#6 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 03:58 PM

I only did it when I was getting very close to the deadline for induction (our practice induces at 42 weeks). I do think the prostaglandins helped with the induction, so I would do it again if I were at 41 +3 or further along. But there's no way I'd do it before 41 weeks.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#7 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 04:21 PM

You couldn't play me enough to have my membranes stripped this pregnancy. They stripped my membranes with ds1 pg without my knowledge... after the baby was born the CNM said "wow. stripping your membranes worked really well for you." WTF?!?! Uh no it didn't!!! I had an extremely intense labor, that STARTED with contrax one minute apart lasting a minute. Definitely not something I would wish on my worst enemy!! Stripping membranes has been proven to give extremely intense labors.

I'm not even having my cervix checked (even in labor!) with this pg.

SAH Mama to Cooper (3-9-08) and Sawyer (9-3-10).   
#8 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 04:52 PM

I had mine stripped at 40w 5d and my daughter was born at 41 wks. Not sure if labor started because of the stripping (which was very gentle and I didn't bleed at all), because of the full moon, or because my body decided it was time.

I'll do it again if I'm nearing 41 wks this time I think depending on how uncomfortable I am at that point.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#9 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 04:56 PM

it's never put me into labor, ever. Had it done multiple times with multiple children. Figured it "couldn't hurt" (except, well, it does have a raised risk of infection simply because of what you're doing).

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
#10 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopersMommy0308 View Post
You couldn't play me enough to have my membranes stripped this pregnancy. They stripped my membranes with ds1 pg without my knowledge... after the baby was born the CNM said "wow. stripping your membranes worked really well for you." WTF?!?! Uh no it didn't!!! I had an extremely intense labor, that STARTED with contrax one minute apart lasting a minute. Definitely not something I would wish on my worst enemy!! Stripping membranes has been proven to give extremely intense labors.

I'm not even having my cervix checked (even in labor!) with this pg.
Oh yeah, ditto on this. My labor started with 1 min long contractions 2-3 minutes apart. NOT something I'd want to go through again.
#11 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby~Braatens~Mama View Post
Just remember: membrane sweeping/stripping is only effective if your body and baby are ready. You all still have a couple weeks before your LO's EDD... so there is no hurry, (unless it is a medical emergency)
What she said!
#12 of 12 Old 08-31-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. With my daughter, I can't remember how long before my due date we did it, or whether I went into labour right after or what. This time I think I won't do it- I know it wont do much if my body isn't ready...and I also don't know if *I* am ready so really I should just wait and let it all happen on its own. Thanks for reaffirming that!!

Sarahfina

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page