Arnica while Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with homeopathic arnica (tablets, not the herb) for after the baby is born (to assist in healing after delivery) ?

My mother brought me my some homeopathic arnica tablets to pack in my hospital bag. She swears by it for healing after surgery and said that its recommended for many new moms after birth. My question is if its ok to use while breastfeeding. I plan to ask my doc on friday, but i'm sure she wont even know what it is, and she is usually very anti-homeopathic/natural remedies for anything.

It seems to be very common in UK to take while breastfeeding and even the end of pregnancy, but I cant find anything online regarding US doctor recommendations.

I had a really hard delivery last time with a lot of tearing, and my docs gave me tons of high dose Ibuprofen which gave me a bad reaction and I wanted to avoid all of that and hopefully take something natural instead.

I know many of you use midwives and doulas and was wondering if you have heard anything from them about this?

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 06:08 PM

Both midwives I have used recommend it (you can even add it to your birth kit with my current midwife). I used it after DS was born and plan to use it again. I've used it after other surgeries too and think it's great.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#3 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 06:32 PM

My midwives have it on their list of things to have for after the birth. It's safe.
#4 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used it last time with very good success. Homeopathics of all kinds should be fine with breastfeeding or any medication.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#5 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 PM

My old doctor recommended it... if she does then I trust 100% its safe (she is always on the cautious side about taking ANYTHING in pregnancy or breastfeeding!)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#6 of 6 Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ladies!! Thats great news! Im so excited now Is it true that if you take it towards your due date its helpful as well for future healing, or is it something I should just stick with for after birth?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page