'If your body's not ready, it won't take....' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'm honestly not trying to crash anyone's plans of natural induction or otherwise, but I really wanted to get y'alls' thoughts on this.

I hear commonly that 'if your body isn't ready, no induction will work.' This is usually spoken specifically about natural induction, and it's true that medical Pit induction is the same, we all have hear those sad birth stories.

My question is this.....if your body IS ready then why hasn't it gone into labor already? I know in cases like needing a chiro adjustment is different, as you want to get things lined up or baby in a better position, etc. But things like membrane stripping, castro oil, RRL, sex, walking, etc, why would your body have to have these to get labor going?

I know that the baby sends signals to your pituitary gland to signal labor to start....could it be that yes, our bodies ARE ready, but the baby may need another day/week/s? So yes, WE will go into labor 'ready' but baby won't? And if there is a strong 'induction' we always hope that our body kicks in and takes over (which sometimes it doesn't that's why you have to keep somethings up in labor sometimes to keep labor going) but it doesn't, could that just mean, we should leave it alone?

Interested in thoughts.

PS-I'm pretty close to being 'done' with being pregnant, we are 40+1 now, so technically I was 'due' in August, and I joined the Sept. DDC from the beginning thinking I'd make it to Sept., and it's kinda getting bumming to see a bunch of us Sept. moms having their babies, not that I'm not happy for them, I think it's GREAT and I am SO glad they got to meet their LOs. But I'm sure y'all can understand how it's kinda a downer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 PM

Its sort of difficult, eh?

My bishops score is high enough (approximately a 9, being conservative) that I am very hopeful the pressure change tomorrow will cause a natural induction of labor for me.

Bishops score usually being the best indicator of readiness for induction of labor.

However, you can have a really high Bishops score and not go into labor for weeks. Or really low and go into labor an hour later. The whole thing is... no one knows for certain what finally triggers active natural labor. What in the baby or in your body or ... well WHAT... officially signals to the body, naturally and on its own, that it is time for birth.

So your question is very very hard to answer... because it could simply be that some women are ready to have the baby and should have the baby but maybe their body is not receiving enough of some sort of chemical yet, even though baby is releasing it? There is really honestly no way to know until they figure out exactly what causes natural labor to set in on its own.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Well you've only got 11 days and a wake up now.

I had my last kid at 41w3d. If there is no medical indication for intervention, you just kind of have to let go and go with the flow, you know? It's more so the problem that we have had it drilled into our heads now that babies come earlier and that society seems to push that we shouldn't be "allowed" to pass our "due dates". It affects us even on a subconscious level even though logically we know better.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM

I definitely think there are so many things at play that it's hard to tell. I'm one who doesn't seem to respond to much of anything in terms of forcing labor. I did have a successful (traumatic) induction with DD1 for pre-e, but it was long and brutal and my body resisted terribly. DD2 was well baked by any standard at 41w even, but even after SROM, either she or my body or both had no interest in laboring. (We had tried a pit induction a few days earlier, and my cervix laughed at 2 doses of cervadil and 8 hours of pit.) I wish I knew the answer to what tips things over... Sometimes I think like with other things, the 'receptors' in our bodies have different levels of sensitivity, and mine are not very sensitive at all!

As for your frustration, I understand it! Several of the moms who have had babies so far have been due after me. I'm trying to be zen about it and realize that my baby and my body are unique, but it does feed into my underlying insecurity that I am "broken" and will never go into labor on my own. (It also doesn't help that my sister texted me today, and she continually reinforces that my body doesnt' work the way it should and that I should just schedule an RCS.)

So I have no answer for you, but I'm sending you a , probably because I need one too!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 09-01-2010, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Simkin talks about (in [I]Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn[I]) the onset of labor happens when the fetal brain and the placenta produce CRH (Corticotrophin-releasing hormone). Also known as 'the feto-placental clock'. Some moms it's faster, some slower, and that explains why women can go into labor on their own and have healthy babies at 37 weeks and then some at 43 weeks.

So, I know that the baby/placenta do have something to do with 'getting labor started', but is that trigger more powerful than the resistance of our bodies to stop it? Bradley talks about other mammals are able to stop their labors if they feel threatened and go to a 'safe' place to birth their young, and we all know women need a 'safe' environment and feel secure to birth, so I'm guessing our bodies can override the fetal clock and say 'no, not yet', but then wouldn't relaxation be the key to that? and not induction?

I'm really thinking as I type, so I know this sounds kinda scrambled....
Old 09-01-2010, 03:19 PM

CRH is only one aspect of the onset of labor and yeah, some women can have it before labor happens by even weeks!

But no one knows for sure what causes it to be effective...

I would agree for some/many that relaxation is the key. Certainly helped bring DD on at 39 weeks, but for others, its actually the opposite! Stress triggers labor!

No scientists or doctors really understand all aspects of it 100%...

And most natural induction methods are, to be totally honest, based at least somewhat on relaxing you (because it is very hard to be tense after a good love making!)

(as far as I know, RRL does NOTHING for inducing labor but helps a ton at making labor pains more bearable. It only tones the uterus it does not stimulate it)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post
I definitely think there are so many things at play that it's hard to tell. I'm one who doesn't seem to respond to much of anything in terms of forcing labor. I did have a successful (traumatic) induction with DD1 for pre-e, but it was long and brutal and my body resisted terribly. DD2 was well baked by any standard at 41w even, but even after SROM, either she or my body or both had no interest in laboring. (We had tried a pit induction a few days earlier, and my cervix laughed at 2 doses of cervadil and 8 hours of pit.) I wish I knew the answer to what tips things over... Sometimes I think like with other things, the 'receptors' in our bodies have different levels of sensitivity, and mine are not very sensitive at all!

As for your frustration, I understand it! Several of the moms who have had babies so far have been due after me. I'm trying to be zen about it and realize that my baby and my body are unique, but it does feed into my underlying insecurity that I am "broken" and will never go into labor on my own. (It also doesn't help that my sister texted me today, and she continually reinforces that my body doesnt' work the way it should and that I should just schedule an RCS.)

So I have no answer for you, but I'm sending you a , probably because I need one too!
Hugging you back!

Yeah, my son was born at 41+2-4 (long labor) and a CS, so we are in the same boat kinda. I've always been prepared to go past my due date, honestly, I'm comfortable going to 43 weeks (with a NST/BPP at that point), but it's still bummer-ish.

I'm so sorry you are being told/suggested to ERC. If it makes you feel any better (which I'm sure it won't) my mom had all 5 of us CS and her first labor was like mine, and my dad is a firm believer in CPD, and is pretty much convinced of it for her case and mine. I told him to lay off if he can't be supportive, but the other day we were casually talking and he said "you're about to have a baby, and be in the hospital, etc" We are homebirthing, and he knows this, so it's kinda a downer to even at this point him not really 'get' it.

I don't know, I just feel like I know my body will do this, and I will go into labor (some day) but so many women on MDC, and IRL talk about, 'oh do this to get things going' etc. It kinda wears on me, and sometimes I just need some support in the thought that it is best to wait on the normal flow, especially when you don't understand what truly starts it.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post
Hugging you back!

Yeah, my son was born at 41+2-4 (long labor) and a CS, so we are in the same boat kinda. I've always been prepared to go past my due date, honestly, I'm comfortable going to 43 weeks (with a NST/BPP at that point), but it's still bummer-ish.

I'm so sorry you are being told/suggested to ERC. If it makes you feel any better (which I'm sure it won't) my mom had all 5 of us CS and her first labor was like mine, and my dad is a firm believer in CPD, and is pretty much convinced of it for her case and mine. I told him to lay off if he can't be supportive, but the other day we were casually talking and he said "you're about to have a baby, and be in the hospital, etc" We are homebirthing, and he knows this, so it's kinda a downer to even at this point him not really 'get' it.

I don't know, I just feel like I know my body will do this, and I will go into labor (some day) but so many women on MDC, and IRL talk about, 'oh do this to get things going' etc. It kinda wears on me, and sometimes I just need some support in the thought that it is best to wait on the normal flow, especially when you don't understand what truly starts it.
I'm only comfy going to 42, I think, because my DD2 looked so post-dates even just at 41w. But that's still a long ways off.

The "just have a c/s" barrage is SO irritating. I don't need one!

As for "getting things going", sometimes I think it helps to have some sort of sense of control--even when you know it's not up to you. It's the whole 'pray like it's up to God; work like it's up to you' mentality, and I figure as long as the working isn't impeding the involuntary part then you're good.

Oh--and I firmly believe that our bodies can stop/refuse to labor. When I was being induced with DD2, I had an anaphylactic reaction to the abx for GBS. The reaction itself was delayed (I left the hospital at 4PM, and it came on at 4AM.) but I started having panic responses around noon. My body flatly refused to dilate even on significant doses of pit--I was contracting every 3 minutes pretty strongly for hours and didn't dilate a single cm. I also read in Hypnobabies that the uterus is the only muscle which has opposing muscle fibers (I think that's how it was phrased)--to cause AND counteract dilation! Our bodies are so amazing!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 09-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Well, I support you! 100%. Birth is a miracle, and as such even the scientific community has to admit that we don't have a clue as to everything that must take place in order for it to occur spontaneously, naturally and healthy. Keep your chin up!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:03 PM

I haven't read all the responses, so I apologizes if I'm saying anything that has already been said. I strongly believe there is no such thing as a 'natural' induction...it's a contradiction in terms. Yes, your body may be on the cusp of being 'ready', but as you said...if it and baby were truly ready, it would have happened already. There are some cases where I understand mamas wanting to give it a little push, but for the most part I think we need to just get out of our own way and let it happen. When it's truly ready, I think everything just falls into place better. Our bodies are complex and birth is a symphony...it makes sense that it would flow more smoothly if all the parts are tuned properly

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
Old 09-01-2010, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DDCC (though if I go early I'll be a September mama )

Usually when I hear this phrase, I take it as pertaining to whether or not your cervix is "ripe". Giving pitocin to a woman with a tightly closed, firm cervix isn't going to put her into labor. But a woman who's already say, 2cm and 90% effaced, nice and soft, it likely will (this was my friend last week! 4 hour labor after a pit induction with favorable cervix, epidural and everything, and pushed a whole three times, lucky her...)
Old 09-01-2010, 04:35 PM

I don't know if this will help or not but babies who are born early but not preterm in general have a harder time adjusting. Extra time in the womb isn't a bad thing.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
Old 09-01-2010, 05:46 PM

I honestly think a lot of the "natural labor induction" success stories we hear about were actually coincidence. If a woman at say 40 weeks pregnant has sex, walks 2 miles briskly, comes home and downs a gallon of RRL tea, gets a massage and calls it a day, she might go into labor in the next 24 hours. She's 40 weeks. She may very well have gone into labor that exact time without all the "interventions." This is why (in my opinion) "natural induction" methods "work" more often the closer you get to 40 weeks, or after.

It's hard because you can't try it both ways with the same woman and the same baby to see if it actually "works" or not.

On the flip side: I had a client a few months ago who was 41+3. She was planning a hospital birth and they automatically schedule induction at 42 weeks, so she was starting to feel pressure to go into labor. She was a first-time mom with a baby who was not engaged, not in an absolutely ideal position, though her cervix was starting to ripen. She wanted to help things along and had acupuncture done 2 days in a row (I believe acupuncture is one of the more powerful natural induction techniques). She went into labor the evening after her 2nd appointment. After fairly rapid dilation, she pushed for 4 hours followed by a c-section. Her baby wasn't descending, couldn't get below her pubic bone. Her midwife was certain her pelvis had plenty of room, it had more to do with his position. Ok, so this could be totally a fluke too. But it's hard for my "what-if" brain to not say, "Wait a minute. Maybe that baby would have rotated, flexed his chin and gotten into a better position if she'd had another couple days."

We ALLL as pregnant women (in my opinion) need to set 42 weeks in our head as our "due date." And maybe tell that to our family and friends too! If we have our babies sooner, we'll be pleasantly surprised. If we don't, we won't feel the enormous anxiety/stress that I've seen so often in women who go over 40 weeks.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaLMT View Post
We ALLL as pregnant women (in my opinion) need to set 42 weeks in our head as our "due date." And maybe tell that to our family and friends too! If we have our babies sooner, we'll be pleasantly surprised. If we don't, we won't feel the enormous anxiety/stress that I've seen so often in women who go over 40 weeks.
Agreed... and I meant to do so this time but in the beginning is so hard because its SO far away! LOL

Old 09-01-2010, 06:28 PM

The only natural induction methods I believe in, because they're the only ones I've found any/enough scientific evidence to support and which have been shown to be pretty safe, are nipple stimulation (which is the natural version of a pit induction) and electro-acupuncture (but I think for it to actually be successful, you have to sit and do it for 5-6 hours, sometimes multiple times!)

Quote:
I honestly think a lot of the "natural labor induction" success stories we hear about were actually coincidence.
I completely agree.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 09-01-2010, 06:39 PM

I don't think that 'going into labor' is a magical one day deal where suddenly one is 'ready'. If animals are stressed, they won't go into labor. And then add in natural variation. Some women labor for a looooooong time (prodromal) others start and are done in 6hrs! Some women are probably ready for labor for a longer time than others, and any little thing that pushes them over the edge will do it.

To me, labor is like any other bodily function. I can keep from peeing until my body literally won't let me any longer, or I can let go earlier. If I'm super stressed out, my body will probably either hold onto the baby longer or, once I'm a bit less stressed speed up the labor since it's suddenly 'safe' to do so.

Also, after giving birth, my body literally would NOT let me pee. I had to trick it with the peri bottle. Maybe induction techniques are similar? The body is ready, but for some reason won't let go?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Old 09-01-2010, 06:52 PM

i will be 42 weeks tomorrow.

physically i am feeling pretty okay.

mentally i am not as good but not super stressed. baby is in a good position, heartbeat is good etc...

yesterday my midwife gave me Black Cohosh and Blue Cohosh homeopathic pills. I took 3 pills of each, alternating, every hour for 12 hours.
i also went to the chiropractor to be aligned. got a great nights sleep and...

i am still pregnant and still feel the same.

i have not had a lot of prodromal, have not lost the mucus plug etc...also my midwife hasen't done a vaginal exam so i don't even know if i'm dialated (which, i think is mainly a good thing but the more you know....)

so, i wait. we're taking a day off the herbs and i may get acupuncture tonight but other than that...i think i really just agree that it will happen when it happens and many of these natural inducement methods are just placebo anyway...

i'm going to go swimming and then have dinner and if i go into labor after that i will be able to tell people that it was the dinner i ate or the excercise i got in the pool when really, i bet at least, it was just the right time.

hopefully that time is soon.

hello to the september forum. i am a new member
Old 09-01-2010, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaLMT View Post

Right, this is why I told everyone we are 'due' early to mid Sept. I can't imagine how insane I would be right now if I was honest and told them the end of August. I've pretty much had it in my head that we would go later than 40 weeks, after all, that is actually average for a second time mom. I thankfully this time have a VERY laid back MW who 'won't put me in a box' as she put it and while confident I will not go to 43 weeks, is fine if I do and will leave the decision making up to me. I've had 43 in my head (Sept 21st!!!!) since the beginning, but when you don't have anyone around you going that long due to 'high risk' (which could have been prevented or just wasn't the case as with a friend of mine) impatient Dr.s or moms, or just 'lucky' moms who go to 38-39 weeks, it makes you long for baby day even more.

Oh, on the natural induction note, yes, I do believe that nipple stimulation and acupuncture are really the only things work as inductions, and with BOTH of those, I've talked to my MW and Doula/MW and have experienced myself, you have to keep using them in labor usually to keep labor going, just like when you have a Pit induction, it's rare that a mom's body takes over completely and she doesn't need the pit anymore, although it DOES happen. So my breastpump is staying in the box till postpartum!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
There was a woman in a previous DDC of mine who just does not go into labor and she lost a baby over this. I do not have all the details, obviously, but apparently it can happen. ?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 09-01-2010, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomestiKater View Post
i will be 42 weeks tomorrow.

physically i am feeling pretty okay.

mentally i am not as good but not super stressed. baby is in a good position, heartbeat is good etc...

yesterday my midwife gave me Black Cohosh and Blue Cohosh homeopathic pills. I took 3 pills of each, alternating, every hour for 12 hours.
i also went to the chiropractor to be aligned. got a great nights sleep and...

i am still pregnant and still feel the same.

i have not had a lot of prodromal, have not lost the mucus plug etc...also my midwife hasen't done a vaginal exam so i don't even know if i'm dialated (which, i think is mainly a good thing but the more you know....)

so, i wait. we're taking a day off the herbs and i may get acupuncture tonight but other than that...i think i really just agree that it will happen when it happens and many of these natural inducement methods are just placebo anyway...

i'm going to go swimming and then have dinner and if i go into labor after that i will be able to tell people that it was the dinner i ate or the excercise i got in the pool when really, i bet at least, it was just the right time.

hopefully that time is soon.

hello to the september forum. i am a new member
Oh, I was going to mention to you the book Obstetric Myths Vs. Research Realities, Henci Goer has a section on 'post dates' and she talks about 42 vs 43 weeks vs induction for 'post date' and goes over all the risks and lists the studies and a break down of each of those. You may want to ask your CP if they have a copy.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:45 PM

I think that, just like some women go into premature labour, some women can carry their babies abnormally long.

I know that my own body gets into a prodromal labour loop. I get to 4cm, 80%, and start having contractions at 5 min apart for weeks. I truly believe that my body gets into a loop and doesn't know how to get out. With my last two babies a little bit of nipple stim has been enough to get me into labour. With the first it took about a half hour of stim and then I was holding my baby 3 hours later. With the second it was about an hour of stim and a 6 hour labour. Yes, I did have to keep up the nipple stim for the 2nd of the two, but it was still a relatively short labour and it kept me from the induction I was staring down. Now, obviously there is a big difference between starting these techniques at 41 weeks and starting them at 37 weeks. But, I feel there is a totally appropriate use of natural labour techniques. And, I'll admit that it's really tempting to try them NOW at almost 39 weeks, as it seems based on my history that not much will happen between now and 41 weeks except for irritating contrax that keep me up all night.

Quote:
To me, labor is like any other bodily function. I can keep from peeing until my body literally won't let me any longer, or I can let go earlier. If I'm super stressed out, my body will probably either hold onto the baby longer or, once I'm a bit less stressed speed up the labor since it's suddenly 'safe' to do so.

Also, after giving birth, my body literally would NOT let me pee. I had to trick it with the peri bottle. Maybe induction techniques are similar? The body is ready, but for some reason won't let go?
I agree with this.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 PM

You know, I have that same sort of thing with nip stim. I have prodromal labor for a few weeks before my water breaks around 39 weeks. I get a good labor pattern going for about an hour after water breaks, then they spread out, and pretty much stop. Nothing much happens until my older baby wants to nurse (or I convince her, as I had to do with my third birth). I nurse for maybe 5-10 minutes and then labor establishes a great pattern and I give birth within 5-6 hours from that point. But, until I have some kind of nip stim, it seems like I'd labor for a couple more weeks!

I realize this does nothing to answer the OP's question, but just had to chime in about nip stim. I never do it to start labor, but to augment...

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

Old 09-06-2010, 09:07 PM

A couple things..

1.. Fish oils/Omega 3 in late pregnancy increase the average length of gestation by 6-8 days.

Now, for a first time mom who is maybe going to go to 42 anyway, that can be a pretty big deal. That can mean a fetal head that is less flexible, more fused harder to negotiate the pelvis. Its the same principle as to why NSAIDs/ Anti-inflammatories can be used sometimes to stop preterm labor but are contraindicated at term. Our body needs those inflammatory processes to signal CRH.. atleast that is the theory.

2. Moms that had fertility problems. Why is it so ridiculous to think that if a baby needed help getting in the uterus, the body might not exactly be equipped to help it get out. We know that being hypothyroid can increase pregnancy length, being hyperthyroid can make people susceptible to preterm labor... Same questions with people who suffer from things like PCOS, or are gestationally diabetic.. obviously we are dealing with some hormone issues outside the range of "normal".
http://navelgazingmidwife.squarespac...udallowed.html

3. Environmental exposure, sedentary lifestyle, over nutrition.. AKA, living in America in 2010. - How do we know that the hormones in our food dont effect some women differently then others? How do we know that a woman with a very delicate hormonal balance might not be pushed over the edge by an over consumption of nonorganic red meat, soy, dairy products.. etc?

I guess my point here is that YES most women will go into labor when their body and their baby is ready. But I do believe, atleast in our alternative birth circle, we are seeing more women going "post-date".. In some of these cases, It's my opinion (YMMV) that sometimes a wiff of pit at 41 weeks is much preferable to a fused skull and failed induction at 42. Every woman brings their own unique history to their birth and I think that all of that history should be examined before declaring what should or should not happen "naturally".
Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChef View Post
A couple things..

I guess my point here is that YES most women will go into labor when their body and their baby is ready. But I do believe, atleast in our alternative birth circle, we are seeing more women going "post-date".. In some of these cases, It's my opinion (YMMV) that sometimes a wiff of pit at 41 weeks is much preferable to a fused skull and failed induction at 42. Every woman brings their own unique history to their birth and I think that all of that history should be examined before declaring what should or should not happen "naturally".
I agree with this in that some women *MAY* need a 'push' to go into labor/augment labor for a variety of reasons.

I think that a 41-42 week thing is kinda silly to say that 41 is better than 42. On a different thread about post date babies, of the research I have seen and read, it is ideal if a baby comes between 40-41 weeks, but if the baby is in there longer, it's not safer to induce for a variety of reasons. The EDD could be off, the mom may just take a little longer to bake a baby, the baby may need a little longer, who knows. I don't know if I"m fully convinced that even when there is some more hardening of the bones of baby's head as the pregnancy continues, it's not enough to validate an induction based on due date alone.

My original post was more so about yes, your body may be ready to birth, buy maybe your baby isn't. That should be considered when a mom is looking at induction, natural or not, especially as early as 37 weeks. You hear moms all the time (I'm sure as a Doula) say 'as soon as I hit 37 weeks I'm doing everything I can to get this baby out'. To me, that's silly, but that's me, and those are my babies I'd be talking about. I just think it's something to think about.

I don't think it's 'so ridiculous to think about' if a mom needs help getting baby in, there may be times where a mom needs help getting baby out. Like most cases of moms needing help getting baby in there are some times issues that are already abnormal, like menstral cycle, thyroid issues, weight, etc. Same thing with induction. There are times that (as these moms are in the minority of birthing women) a mom would need intervention to get baby out. So in a way I do agree, but I don't see it as frequent that it should be a rule of thumb that moms shouldn't consider that induction some times is not the best idea.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:24 AM

AustinsMom,
I totally hear you and I dont think that there should be across the board policies on anything.. any specific date. In my community, transfer of care happens at 42 weeks. Some docs wont even touch a 42 week + mom with induction so it's routine cesarean section, or walk into the er in labor at 42+ and get whatever doc.. so all I can say is my experience here in my community.

The studies do say 40-41 weeks. Im a procrastinator

There are no absolutes, but I wanted to be a bit of a devil's advocate, because I do think that there are alot of undiagnosed thyroid disorders out there, alot of women who are borderline GD... or didnt realize they had PCOS, etc.. and to me, it's just so important that we tune into OUR body and our baby and we use the technology when we think it can help us.. and we refrain when it's based on fear or control.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
AustinsMom,
I totally hear you and I dont think that there should be across the board policies on anything.. any specific date. In my community, transfer of care happens at 42 weeks. Some docs wont even touch a 42 week + mom with induction so it's routine cesarean section, or walk into the er in labor at 42+ and get whatever doc.. so all I can say is my experience here in my community.

The studies do say 40-41 weeks. Im a procrastinator

There are no absolutes, but I wanted to be a bit of a devil's advocate, because I do think that there are alot of undiagnosed thyroid disorders out there, alot of women who are borderline GD... or didnt realize they had PCOS, etc.. and to me, it's just so important that we tune into OUR body and our baby and we use the technology when we think it can help us.. and we refrain when it's based on fear or control.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Ok, this is going to sound mean-ish, but i'm not very good at expressing tone through typing lol! So I'll try. I agree COMPETELY with the bolded part, but feel that it's contradictory to the 'end care at 42 weeks' and 'ECS at that point'. If I was in your community (which it sounds like they are similar) and I was Doulaing a mom, I'd tell her what the studies show, and give her my opinion if she asked, and encourage her to believe in her body and wait till whatever time frame she feels comfortable with, and not choose an induction due to being 'over due'.

I understand out of liability some MWs have to stay in certain parameters, but to me, I think it kinda butches what real MWifery is about. I think if more moms had true informed consent and info on post dates they would be making different choices as a society as a whole. Not just our two communities.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:18 PM

"Real midwifery" is supposed to be about emotionally and physically healthy Moms and babies. One of the things that breaks my heart over and over about MDC is this often overly romanticized, "ideal" of childbirth and how incongruous it often is with many people's reality. Ive attended almost 200 births as a doula, midwifery student or birth assistant in the last 10 years in every setting. In all of these years there is one word I most associate with birth or motherhood. Surrender. Powerful, empowered, supported, educated surrender to the journey. We so often want to control our birth experiences and how they unfurl be that with or without "intervention".

The most honest and heartfelt protection I can give those Moms who face a situation like that is to help them navigate their reality not anyone's ideals. Our community standards are part of that reality and as much as I, or you may wish things were different... Sometimes things out of your control do end up effecting those experiences and when that happens, we roll with the reality at hand and do our best to make beauty out of those ashes.

Have you ever read this thread? http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1216297

It's not exactly what we are talking about, but there are alot of similar themes and so many women share their stories about how ideals of birth and how it "should" happen negatively impacted them.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
"Real midwifery" is supposed to be about emotionally and physically healthy Moms and babies. One of the things that breaks my heart over and over about MDC is this often overly romanticized, "ideal" of childbirth and how incongruous it often is with many people's reality. Ive attended almost 200 births as a doula, midwifery student or birth assistant in the last 10 years in every setting. In all of these years there is one word I most associate with birth or motherhood. Surrender. Powerful, empowered, supported, educated surrender to the journey. We so often want to control our birth experiences and how they unfurl be that with or without "intervention".

The most honest and heartfelt protection I can give those Moms who face a situation like that is to help them navigate their reality not anyone's ideals. Our community standards are part of that reality and as much as I, or you may wish things were different... Sometimes things out of your control do end up effecting those experiences and when that happens, we roll with the reality at hand and do our best to make beauty out of those ashes.

Have you ever read this thread? http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1216297

It's not exactly what we are talking about, but there are alot of similar themes and so many women share their stories about how ideals of birth and how it "should" happen negatively impacted them.
I think that the heart of any maternity care should be healthy moms and baby physically and emotionally. I'm not denying that at all. It just happens that MWs typically understand that you can have healthy mom and baby with an 'ideal' birth. I don't think there have been many birth stories of moms who felt empowered , etc with a dead/morbid mom or baby.

My point was that true midwifery care is about informed consent and helping the mom make educated decisions for her and her baby, and I don't feel that denying/stopping care at 42 or giving an ECS is that at all, and I don't always think it comes out with healthier moms or babies physically or emotionally.

I think that most women (almost all on MDC) would agree that an ideal birth is one that ends with a happy, healthy mom and baby, and with the mom feeling empowered and that she was in control. This can be with a Cesarean, and induction, a forceps, a vacuum, a hospital, birthing center, home, water, purple pushing, etc kind of birth. I'm not saying control the birth experience as in it go intervention free, I'm saying control the birth experience to where you are the one making the decisions of intervention when they are needed, because YES they are HIGHLY needed some times, and we are all OH SO thankful that they are there for us when we need them.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
A couple things..
We know that being hypothyroid can increase pregnancy length, being hyperthyroid can make people susceptible to preterm labor...
I've never heard that - can someone link me to source information about that? Just curious for a friend . . .

User Tag List