having a tough time regarding vit k - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have looked at the vit k info for a long time now and I am so completely torn. I think both sides have good and bad info and it is really hard to make a decision. All of my other children have had this shot, but I am not sure what to do with this last baby. My fourth child did have "breastmilk" jaundice.

I know of the alternatives (oral, etc), but still just feel so unsure of the whole thing both ways. I am not really looking for answers or anything, just venting over my concern and frustration with it. We do not vax otherwise. Does anyone else feel frustrated with the info on this shot?

- Crystal, mom to 4 kiddos expecting #5 very soon . We are a , , , , and family
#2 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 AM

Yep. We have drops this time. Last time we got the shot because my daughter came before we got the drops. I'm still torn about it because in general my philosophy is not to mess with the body's normal workings. If baby's don't have lots of Vitamin K maybe there's a reason for it. Not giving any makes me nervous, though, so I figure I'll at least go the least invasive route. So no advice, but I'm in same boat.
#3 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 06:10 AM

It is always hard to make these decisions for our children. After talking with my MW it was easy for me to take start taking a supplement once a day at 37weeks. I feel at peace with my decision. Hope you come to a conclusion that feels right for you.

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#4 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 07:56 AM

No, it is not a difficult decision for me to make. I believe that babies are born with the right level of vitamin k. I don't see any reason to alter that.
#5 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 08:21 AM

i always thought the only real reason to get this shot was if you had a traumatic birth (for baby..) or if you are getting your child circ'd. i never thought twice about not giving it?! i guess i just agree with mbhf.. babies are born with low vit k for a reason.. and unless you are doing something to the baby that might make more vit k needed.. i dont see the point?

Amanda~ mommy to Brayden (06/05), Noah (08/07), Alex (11/08), Lucy (09/10) and Kara (10/12)
#6 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumyonly1 View Post
i always thought the only real reason to get this shot was if you had a traumatic birth (for baby..) or if you are getting your child circ'd. i never thought twice about not giving it?! i guess i just agree with mbhf.. babies are born with low vit k for a reason.. and unless you are doing something to the baby that might make more vit k needed.. i dont see the point?
this.. unless I had a traumatic birth or baby comes out bruised in some way or we planned on circ (we aren't) then I don't see the point. I think babies get plenty when they are meant (through bm) as long as we keep a balanced diet.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#7 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I also think we would skip it unless there was bruising on the baby or something else traumatic having to do with bleeding.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#8 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodmachine View Post
It is always hard to make these decisions for our children. After talking with my MW it was easy for me to take start taking a supplement once a day at 37weeks. I feel at peace with my decision. Hope you come to a conclusion that feels right for you.
I really like this idea! What a compromise, IMO.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#9 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 10:17 AM

The only reason ds1 had the vit k shot was b/c he was vacuum extracted. We have signed a paper with our HB MW to turn down the vit k shot this time, unless there is another trauma at birth. She knows that if there is some kind of trauma that we want it and always carries it with her anyways. Although I can't imagine what kind of trauma at HOME would warrant that? hmmm I'm guessing that would only be necessary if I had to transfer. I would probably do vit k if there was a c-sec. Only b/c I wouldn't trust the dr.s to be as gentle with the baby as I would be... have you seen how rough they are?!?! grrrr

SAH Mama to Cooper (3-9-08) and Sawyer (9-3-10).   
#10 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 10:18 AM

After discussing it with my midwife I feel most comfortable in me taking it orally and letting baby get however much my breastmilk lets through.

Its not so much that babies are born without it (they are, btw...) but that we ourselves tend to not have enough in OUR systems either! So our body is not putting enough through the breastmilk to help baby in case of problems.

My midwives said they used to do the traumatic birth rule... but then saw twice where babies have had problems without a traumatic birth and would rather all moms at least take it orally to be safe.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#11 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 10:20 AM

i plan to make the decision based on the birth, which is what i did with my DS - he was pretty badly bruised at birth so at 3 hours old, we did the shot..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#12 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 AM

I'm having the shot done, primarily because one of our children had Von Willebrand disease (a common clotting disorder that 1 in 100 people have). It's genetic, and it's possible this baby could have it, too. For most people, it just means they bruise easily and bleed a little bit longer than most people at a wound, but I'm not going to risk it with a newborn. Definitely getting the shot.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#13 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
I'm having the shot done, primarily because one of our children had Von Willebrand disease (a common clotting disorder that 1 in 100 people have). It's genetic, and it's possible this baby could have it, too. For most people, it just means they bruise easily and bleed a little bit longer than most people at a wound, but I'm not going to risk it with a newborn. Definitely getting the shot.
See...I think cases like these should be when CPs encourage moms to get the shot, when there is another medical indication for it. I think it's great that you are. Very wise.

I think that the Vit K thing *may* be something where we, in our society with our diets and toxins, etc, that we just don't make vit K like we used to in the olden times when babies were born with the right amounts....I have no idea though, it could just be one of those things that we need to leave nature alone.
#14 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 AM

It makes me wonder if Von Willebrands (and similar rare/common bleeding disorders) are the reason people do want you to get vitamin K at birth. Most people who have Von Willebrand's don't know it...we would never have known about ds' except he was tested for it before they did very invasive brain surgery. Now I know that I probably have Von Willebrands, since of dh or me, I'm the one who bruises most easily. Ds must have gotten it from one of us!

Is this just another example of the medical community treating everyone for something that only a few out of a hundred would actually need? Simply because it's easier to treat with vit. K than it is to test everyone for every possible bleeding disorder?

I haven't looked into it much, but it does seem (with vaxes and much else) that if a rare disease *could* affect a small portion of the population negatively, they want to go ahead and treat everyone just in case.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#15 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
It makes me wonder if Von Willebrands (and similar rare/common bleeding disorders) are the reason people do want you to get vitamin K at birth. Most people who have Von Willebrand's don't know it...we would never have known about ds' except he was tested for it before they did very invasive brain surgery. Now I know that I probably have Von Willebrands, since of dh or me, I'm the one who bruises most easily. Ds must have gotten it from one of us!

Is this just another example of the medical community treating everyone for something that only a few out of a hundred would actually need? Simply because it's easier to treat with vit. K than it is to test everyone for every possible bleeding disorder?

I haven't looked into it much, but it does seem (with vaxes and much else) that if a rare disease *could* affect a small portion of the population negatively, they want to go ahead and treat everyone just in case.
Exactly, and to me, it's most sad for the women who don't know any better and blindly trust their CP to make all the choices for them. I feel most for them. But....you can lead a horse to water.....
#16 of 16 Old 09-02-2010, 04:02 PM

Can you give me a brand name of the oral Vit K that any of you are taking? Is it purely vit k, or is it part of a multi vitamin? Is it in pill form or liquid?

I was planning on skipping the shot for baby, but then eating 1 cup raw kale per day for several weeks (in a smoothie!) b/c that has TONS of vitamin k. (sorry for the lack of scientific language... I don't remember the exact amount but when I did the research I do recall that 1 cup provided more than enough of the daily recommended amount).

So... I was planning on starting the kale AFTER the baby's born, b/c I thought I heard that stocking up vit. k in our bodies BEFORE baby's born doesn't cut it. But some of you are saying that you're starting an oral vit. k at 37 weeks, which is where I am now! So, any more info about the oral vit. k would be helpful. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page