Post partum chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 408 Old 09-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My doctor recommends we do Vit D supplementing for baby. What are you mama's doing? I've been taking it myself, but haven't found research that says it goes through the breastmilk yet.

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#62 of 408 Old 09-14-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifica View Post
My doctor recommends we do Vit D supplementing for baby. What are you mama's doing? I've been taking it myself, but haven't found research that says it goes through the breastmilk yet.
Huh. Did your Dr. say why? Does your LO have jaundice issues?

The ped. I saw a week ago didn't say anything about supplementing, and Ellie had some issues with her bilirubin number initially being borderline high. Then again, he is the same one who recommended I let my 8 day old cry it out, so he's probably not the best source of info...

I'm interested in seeing what others say....

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#63 of 408 Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifica View Post
We do Vit D... I think they put it in formula, but my ped recommends it for exclusive breastfeeding... did it with my daughter, too. B/c it apparently does not pass through milk. If you get plenty of sunshine it may not be totally necessary, but I'm not convinced that we get enough.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#64 of 408 Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurski View Post
Then again, he is the same one who recommended I let my 8 day old cry it out
that still stuns me. outrageous.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#65 of 408 Old 09-14-2010, 09:13 PM

Vitamin D is passed through breastmilk but only in small amounts. However, like iron, it is in a form that is highly usable by baby unlike supplements. We live in Canada, and even in the winter we do not supplement with vitamin D. It is recommended for all breastfed infants for the small percentage of babies who will need it (like vitamin K at birth is). There is lots of good information here: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html

Babies are born with stores that are laid down during pregnancy to last them the first couple of months. I actually had my own vitamin D levels checked during pregnancy this time just to see if I was deficient. I wasn't... in fact my levels were above the range that they look for. So I feel confident that he got adequate stores from me during pregnancy and that he'll continue to get some through my milk now. Plus we are outside walking a lot. And even if baby is all covered up with only their face showing they only need 15-20 minutes a day, and it doesn't have to be every day because the body stores it. Even in the winter we end up outside that much (not always even all at once... five minutes here, fives minutes there).

I don't think there is harm in it, I just also don't see a point so we skip it. Definitely a personal decision to be reached though based on your own situation

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#66 of 408 Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 PM

My ped just rec'd Vit D as well for my EBF baby, but I remember that it's a fairly new guideline. I found it kind of hilarious that my ped rec'd it, because we live in Arizona.
When I had DS1 in 2007, there was no mention of vit D, and he was pretty jaundiced - I was told to just give him some sun.
Sigh.. gotta love the US medical establishment... why use the sun when supplements can be sold?

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#67 of 408 Old 09-14-2010, 10:43 PM

I had my one week postpartum visit today (he's six days old). Baby and I both checked out perfectly. He's already above his birth weight by 3 ounces... he's up to 9lbs 8oz! I'm thrilled to have another baby that is doing so well right from the start. My first did, but then my second was born early for me (38 weeks, but he wasn't cooked fully) and he had weight gain issues at the start and also jaundice. Neither of those are problems with Malachi, which I am so grateful for.

I can't believe that I was in labour this time a week ago. My water was just being broken. It's so weird how time goes after you have a newborn.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#68 of 408 Old 09-14-2010, 10:45 PM

I am savouring every moment of this newborn stage. The past 6 days have been a blur of wonderful chaos. Elias is nursing well, so well that my milk was in the next day. The older boys love him and are always giving him kisses and cuddles.
After my experience with ds2 Elias is a breeze. The 1-1.5 hrs between feeds is a dream compared to the every 20-30 mins that was my last newborn experience. I can even set him down sometimes too, and today he fell asleep on his own while watching ds2 play. He still sleeps on my chest which wasn't really the plan (I'd prefer he'd sleep beside me) but I have to admit I'm loving having a newborn cuddled in skin to skin with me. I know for most people he would still appear to be a pretty high needs babe, but in my perspective it's lovely. Remind me of this post if my mind changes in the nest couple weeks!
I'm pretty sure he does have a dairy issue though. I wasn't comsuming much but did have a couple fudgesicles and a sandwich with cheese around the time of birth. He was extremely gassy (foul smelling), crazy fussy, and had some nasty pure mucous poops in the first few days. I haven't had any dairy since the day of his birth and things are much much better.
As for the vit D we aren't doing it right now. I may change my mind come flu season and give it as a protective factor.
Laurski...I would run fast from a ped who told me to let my newborn cio. I'm hoping to switch our family to a Dr I found that shares a lot of our parenting views/values, but I'm not sure I can make it happen.

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
#69 of 408 Old 09-14-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovnMyBoys View Post
I am savouring every moment of this newborn stage. The past 6 days have been a blur of wonderful chaos. Elias is nursing well, so well that my milk was in the next day. The older boys love him and are always giving him kisses and cuddles.
This is us too Our sons were born on the same day and my milk was in the next day too and our two older boys are totally in love. They fight over who gets to hold him next I couldn't have asked for a better transition for them

Alison
#70 of 408 Old 09-15-2010, 12:49 AM

Hey ladies! My ped didn't recommend vit d, but did ask if I drank milk because "in order to make good milk you need plenty of calcium and vit d"

My little man is 2.5 days old and our milk came in early morning. He has been nursing so well, and I think we are finally out of meconium! He has been a pleasure to be around and so easy going! It is amazing!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#71 of 408 Old 09-15-2010, 06:21 AM

jules- hope things are improving for you.
christine- GL unpacking.

Vitamin D - I'm sure the nurse will be bringing some over next week. D drops are a normal recommendation in a place with 12 hours of sunlight in December.
I don't give them in the summer.

I am in quite a bit of pain. I can feel the stitches healing and pulling and my butt hurts like...well, like I pooped out the whole planet. It started on day 6 and we're on day 9 today. It's hopefully going to get better soon.

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#72 of 408 Old 09-15-2010, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Today is the first day I'm totally alone with a newborn and a toddler.

Wish me luck.

#73 of 408 Old 09-15-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
Today is the first day I'm totally alone with a newborn and a toddler.

Wish me luck.
OMG! Good luck! Mine is on Monday. I'm trying not to think about it.

and 2 rescued greyhounds
#74 of 408 Old 09-15-2010, 09:46 AM

Mind if I join you all?

We're now 6 days out. Anna is pretty dreamy - I feel like I'm enjoying her much more than I enjoyed ODD. I'm just not scared of her the way that I was scared of ODD. It's nice having confidence. lol. She's sleeping pretty well - gave me two 3.5hrs stretches and one 2hr stretch last night. Not too shabby. And, she's not having any trouble sleeping on her back in the cosleeper. ODD slept in her carseat for 7 weeks!

Me, I'm recovering pretty fast physically but emotionally I'm kind of a mess. I know that it's my hormones going crazy but it's hard to remember that. Hopefully this will even out soon.

Momma to Sofia Hope 11/08 & Anna Grace 9/10
#75 of 408 Old 09-15-2010, 10:44 AM

Kelly--Good luck today!

Good to know about Vit. D. We don't see the ped. (a different one in the practice, the one we interviewed originally and we like much better) for another 2 weeks, so I'll have to ask then. Until then, I guess it's a good prescription for lots of walks!

#76 of 408 Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 AM

Caught a whole lot of poops and pees yesterday. Yay Ella! I'm also learning her signals when she cries and fusses a bit better, and I think the growth spurt is done. Right now she's all full of milk lying next to me. I'm really loving the side lying nursing, it's so much easier for night time feeding. Oh, and I took her for a walk in the ring sling for the first time yesterday. So cuddly and cozy!

rainbow1284.gifenergy.gifAugust 2010 ; angel2.gif April 2009; angel1.gif m/c 2008

#77 of 408 Old 09-15-2010, 02:45 PM

Had 2-week checkup yesterday. Midwife said everything looked fine w/me. DS is still jaundiced although his bili levels aren't high enough to need special treatment. They had to redo his PKU heels stick b/c they didn't get enough blood at the 2-day visit (even though they stuck both heels). So he got lots of pokes.

He was back to birthweight by 4 days and yesterday at 13 days was up 1 pound 6 ounces from his lowest at 2 days PP, so his weight gain is great. Lots of pees and poops. So they said they aren't really worried about the jaundice unless his pees and poops start going down or he gets really lethargic. Of course, just after we left the birth center his poops seemed to start being more scanty and green. I hope it doesn't mean anything bad but isn't it funny how issues always seem to pop up *just* after you leave the midwife/doctor's office? Like, why coudn't his poop have gotten weird a couple hours earlier so I could have mentioned it to the mw? Anyway, if it doesn't get better in a day or so I'll call them back and I guess I would have to do a big trek back there and they would probably take more blood from him.

Also, spent the morning in urgent care getting an infected finger lanced and drained. Wow, that hurt worse than birth, I think. I think the nurse backed off from draining everything b/c she could tell it hurt so much (and she did give me a Lidocaine injection before). Although the finger hurt so bad I would have agreed to go through anything to get rid of the pain. I couldn't even sleep last night and when it started turning blackish this morning I decided to go in.

Now I have a huge bandage on my throbbing finger, the nurse wouldn't prescribe me any painkillers b/c I am bf'ing (WTF?! but maybe I won't need them now that most of the infection has been drained). Diaper changes, meal prep, showers etc. not sure exactly how they are going to happen. They gave me abx (probably very needed) but I hope they don't give me a YI or thrush. And I'm paranoid about the infection b/c I've never had anything like this.... is there staph floating around my house?? It kills me to think about DS or DD getting an infection, even worse if they catch it from my now-oozing finger. I asked the nurse to culture it so maybe I'll get some more info.

Thank goodness DH is still off work and can help. He stayed in the car with DS while I was at the urgent care place so DS wouldn't have to come in with all the sick people there. OK, off to maybe get a quick nap. I have a serious case of the grumpies and I think some sleep could help.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#78 of 408 Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

So yesterday went great, whew!

Ozzy napped a good chunk of the day so that Em and I could run around in the yard. Then we went to the Farmer's Market, my first real outing by myself with both of them... Em ran around for a bit because there weren't many people there, then I put her in the umbrella stroller to go over to the CVS, and Oz snuggled in the ring sling the whole time. Went really well! In the afternoon we did some more yard time while Ozzy hung out in his swing outside with us. Then went in and made a real dinner (!!!) and even made some bread to go with it. The diapers got washed and even got the house clean after Em went to bed. Feeling a bit like superwoman.

NAK at the moment while Emma eats her breakfast. Time to do it all over again, rotfl.

#79 of 408 Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribord View Post
Now I have a huge bandage on my throbbing finger, the nurse wouldn't prescribe me any painkillers b/c I am bf'ing (WTF?! but maybe I won't need them now that most of the infection has been drained). Diaper changes, meal prep, showers etc. not sure exactly how they are going to happen.
Ouch that sucks

#80 of 408 Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 AM

Kelly....you give me hope for this weekend when its me alone with all three. I just worry because Elias does not give me long between feedings. Luckily the boys have been great at understanding that they need to wait sometimes (often), but I don't want them to feel like that is the constant response.
tribord...I'm sorry to hear about the finger. That sounds really painful, and definitely not good timing.
Jules....I'm impressed with how well ECing is going for you guys already.

Elias seems to like the every hour feedings all night. Luckily he is pretty quick and efficient so it isn't too bad. His frequent eating had him up 8oz from his bw in 8 days, so that is pretty good.

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
#81 of 408 Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM

tri - OMG. Get better!

I feel kind of like a bad attachment mommy right now - DS2 is in the swing. And he LOVES it. He's chilling, looking out the window. With DS1, he was never out of arms for the first month or so. And thus I never showered, ate sporadically, etc. DS2 is a much more relaxed baby (maybe b/c I'm a more relaxed mom), but I still feel a little guilty for putting him down. The flip side is it's never for long - he cluster feeds during the day. But that's cool, because he sleeps in 3-4 hour blocks at night and falls right back asleep after a nurse.

Ah well, I don;t feel bad anymore, cluster time! Still, I got about 15 min of me time there. Horray.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#82 of 408 Old 09-16-2010, 12:39 PM

tribord--ouch! i hope your finger is feeling better, and hope you LO's poops return to normal!

Kelly--glad to hear you first solo day went well!

Ellie's doing supergreat at daytime feedings, but seems to lose it at night. She's been sleeping on my chest, so there's no disruption in her position at night, but she refuses to latch for more than a minute or so at a time, then will pop off and start fussing (or screaming...). Any suggestions?

#83 of 408 Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

nak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Chick View Post
I feel kind of like a bad attachment mommy right now - DS2 is in the swing. And he LOVES it. He's chilling, looking out the window. With DS1, he was never out of arms for the first month or so. And thus I never showered, ate sporadically, etc. DS2 is a much more relaxed baby (maybe b/c I'm a more relaxed mom), but I still feel a little guilty for putting him down. The flip side is it's never for long - he cluster feeds during the day. But that's cool, because he sleeps in 3-4 hour blocks at night and falls right back asleep after a nurse.
I soooo know what you're talking about. he spends so much time not in arms, compared to my first baby. and he's so fine with it! he just chills. but, I think it's just a second child thing... I don't have the time to just sit around and hold him like I did with Em, because, well, Em keeps me too busy. we do co-sleep, though, just me and him in the kids' room, so I like that we get that "just us" time then. plus he nurses very regularly during the day so that we automatically get bonding /closeness time then.

He is more relaxed, too, and I've had the same thought-- maybe it's just that I'm not as worried and neurotic as I was as a first-time mom, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurski View Post
Ellie's doing supergreat at daytime feedings, but seems to lose it at night. She's been sleeping on my chest, so there's no disruption in her position at night, but she refuses to latch for more than a minute or so at a time, then will pop off and start fussing (or screaming...). Any suggestions?
try a different nursing position? maybe your let down is too strong...

#84 of 408 Old 09-16-2010, 02:40 PM

tri- hope the finger feels better.
Kelly- hope monday goes as well for me.

and 2 rescued greyhounds
#85 of 408 Old 09-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
nak
I soooo know what you're talking about. he spends so much time not in arms, compared to my first baby. and he's so fine with it! he just chills. but, I think it's just a second child thing... I don't have the time to just sit around and hold him like I did with Em, because, well, Em keeps me too busy. we do co-sleep, though, just me and him in the kids' room, so I like that we get that "just us" time then. plus he nurses very regularly during the day so that we automatically get bonding /closeness time then.

He is more relaxed, too, and I've had the same thought-- maybe it's just that I'm not as worried and neurotic as I was as a first-time mom, haha.
That's how it is here too! With DD1 either she was in our arms or we were staring at her while she slept. DD2 is so much more relaxed (so far) - she does most (if not all) of her napping in the cosleeper. Like you said, kelly, it's kind of nice that I'm not holding her all of the time b/c it gives me time to snuggle DD1.

I've been feeling a lot of guilt over the time that I'm not able to spend with DD1. DH has been picking up the slack but I can't escape the guilt. I miss my little DD. She's still so little (only 21mths) - and before DD2 was born it was me and her all the time.

I guess this is what it means to be a mommy to 2.

Momma to Sofia Hope 11/08 & Anna Grace 9/10
#86 of 408 Old 09-16-2010, 09:27 PM

I'm a daddy that has taken a liking to Mothering.

Our baby boy, Santiago, was born on 9/6/10 - we have a ten day old!

Santi was born in a birth tub at home. So far so good.

My wife is still recovering - tear in the perineum (2 stitches) is healing but still hurting. Plus, she's got red, itchy bumps on her legs and hands - pregnancy/hormone related apparently - unfortunately, nothing she can really do about it but wait it out.

Santi nursed within the first thirty minutes and has been eating like it's his job. He has slept for longer periods, 2-3 hours at a time, but wakes up to feed like clock work.

He was born at 5lbs15oz, two days later at the first pediatrician visit he was down to 5lbs11oz, and at the second pediatrician's visit yesterday he was up to 6lbs10oz.

I spent all last week at home but went into work on Monday and Wednesday of this week. Hardest thing I've done in a long time.

Today has been his fussiest day. We realized this afternoon that he hadn't really pooed all day. Then, tonight, it's been back to the eat-poo-change-eat-poo-change pattern. We're hoping it was a temporary thing and he goes back to actually sleeping for a couple of hours at a time. We'll see.

His umbilical cord fell off today but the scabby thing underneath didn't look completely dry so we're letting it air out.

My wife and I are loving parenthood and looking forward to spending more awake time with Santi.

Christian, father of Santiago (HB 9/6/10) and loving husband to Wendy.
#87 of 408 Old 09-17-2010, 12:38 AM

Another more mellow 2nd baby here, too. I think it must be a combo of more relaxed parents the 2nd time and that the 2nd baby just knows they are going to have to wait a lot so they might as well be chill. DS spent 10 minutes awake in a bouncy seat this morning before getting fussy. That was about 9 1/2 minutes more than DD ever did. That's long enough to hang out laundry or take a shower... wow! Hope he keeps it up.

My finger looks like something out of a horror movie but it hurts much, much less now and I didn't need painkillers (just felt all huffy that I should have been able to get a script for them just in case). I should get the culture back later this week and hoping it isn't something too scary in there...

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#88 of 408 Old 09-17-2010, 02:56 AM

I'm at day 2 now. Cora is a very sleepy baby like my dd. My ds never went throught that phase and was fussy, nursed around the clock and woke constantly all night long and took cat naps during the day. My second was not my mellow baby. It is only day two and a lot can change especially after she gets out of the sleepy phase but she seems pretty mellow so far. She will sleep by herself during the day but isn't to fond of the snuggle nest during the night. I think it just not very confortable. She is latching good when she is awake but I often have to wake her during the day. I think my milk is coming in. Her poop is now yellow and seedy.

My 4 year old dd is very excited about the baby. My 2 year old ds seems to tolerate her ok but he doesn't know what is appropriate for babies unlike my dd at the same age. He will kiss her and hug and he actually is saying her name which is really cool because he has a speech delay. He also will hit, poke at her ,throw things nearby and try to sit on her. My mom is here for now but I'm a little worried about when she leaves.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#89 of 408 Old 09-17-2010, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangopaco View Post
His umbilical cord fell off today but the scabby thing underneath didn't look completely dry so we're letting it air out.
Yeah, with both of my babies when the cord fell off it still took a few days for all of the "pieces" to come out.

Congrats on your first son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribord View Post
My finger looks like something out of a horror movie but it hurts much, much less now and I didn't need painkillers (just felt all huffy that I should have been able to get a script for them just in case). I should get the culture back later this week and hoping it isn't something too scary in there...
I can't believe they wouldn't give you anything... my OB wrote me some painkillers for the birth itself to take home with me. Granted I haven't actually taken them because I'm co-sleeping and don't want to be drugged up while sleeping, haha, but still.

#90 of 408 Old 09-17-2010, 02:49 PM

mangopaco- Teddy came to us on the 6th! I had a homebirth and 2 stitches and am having some pain too. Hope DW (dear wife) feels better soon (and me too!). I lived in Greenpoint before I fell in love and moved up here, so howdy neighbor, eat some NYC pizza for me.

and 2 rescued greyhounds

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page