Post partum chat - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There goes DH... his 10 days are up and he is back to work.

I'm a little happy, a little sad.

Also... feel like I have a yeast infection and omg wtf happened to my rear!? it felt bruised last week now it feels like someone stabbed it!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
Also... feel like I have a yeast infection and omg wtf happened to my rear!? it felt bruised last week now it feels like someone stabbed it!
I had the yeastie feeling about 2w pp as well. Have you tried drying down there with the hair dryer? feels nice and gets rid of the itchies.

As for the stabbing, some wise woman commented that her 'rhoids were worst from days 6-13, and I have to concur. The change at 2w was remarkable. Is that where you are sore??

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#243 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 PM

Thats where I am sore yes, but I do not have any rhoids right now (which is quite a change from pregnancy when I constantly did!)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#244 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 01:41 PM

I feel like i might have a fissure? So I know what you are meaning. Maybe your rhoids are internal?

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#245 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 04:23 PM

nak

LitChick: Ugh! So sorry you were sick! Glad to hear you're feeling better!

We went to the ped. today for Ellie's weight check...7oz up in 7 days, for a grand total of 8.15! So, yeah, I was a paranoid 1st time mom for nothing... (y'all (and DH) were right about all the food going into her length!)

Just as awesome, we got to see the ped. I *really* wanted, who was recommended on MDC but who was on maternity leave until this week. LOVE HER! Am so glad she's back and will definitely be scheduling all of E's appts with her!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#246 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Well I finally have time to get back online!

Seems like lots of us needs I'm definitely falling into this category.

We had a rough time nursing at first, and now that I think everything is going well, it's hard not to be paranoid about it. I feel like I'm letting her newborn phase just pass me by and I'm going to miss all of it.

On a much better note, I actually got off the couch and did something today. I feel so much better after just moving around for an hour or two.

Here's a bizarre first-time mom question. How do handle when you have to go to the bathroom really bad and baby's unhappy?

Mama to Penelope!! born 9/19/10. Missing Elliott 10/10/09. And expecting expecting again Oct '14!
#247 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanta View Post
Well I finally have time to get back online!

Seems like lots of us needs I'm definitely falling into this category.

We had a rough time nursing at first, and now that I think everything is going well, it's hard not to be paranoid about it. I feel like I'm letting her newborn phase just pass me by and I'm going to miss all of it.

On a much better note, I actually got off the couch and did something today. I feel so much better after just moving around for an hour or two.

Here's a bizarre first-time mom question. How do handle when you have to go to the bathroom really bad and baby's unhappy?
Glad to see you back online!
Happy to hear that feeding is going better!
YAY for getting off the couch (it is so hard for me to get really motivated!)

I take my little man to the bathroom with me, and put him on the rug in there that lies in front of the sink... I don't know if this is the best idea, but he seems to be happy just being close enough to hear me.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#248 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Put him down somewhere clean and safe, and go to the bathroom. I understand not wanting the baby to cry, but you have to pee.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#249 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:

I was you with DS1. I did not move from the couch for WEEKS. It is important to get up and out, even if it's just to walk in your yard or around the block. Or sit on the porch... just get a short change of scene every day! (or you will start to go craaazy)

As for the bathroom... if it's just a pee, then put the baby down wherever and let her cry for the few minutes. You are allowed to pee, it does not make you a bad mom if she is upset while you do it.
If you need a little more time in the bathroom, then pop her in her carseat, bouncy chair, or whatever, and you can rock/jiggle with your foot while you take care of business.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#250 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 PM

I agree with getting out. I haven't left my neighborhood but I have sat on my porch every afternoon waiting for the kids, checked the mail every day and walked over to the neighbors house once to give her a paper the bus driver gave us (our bus driver is retiring but her daughter does not ride after school so they always give me two of everything to give one to her)

Today was our one week check (okay... 10 days but still...)

Not only had Mae regained her birth weight by 4 days postpartum... a week later she has gained a WHOLE POUND over her birth weight!

My not-so-tiny-anymore baby is 8lbs 5oz!

Did our hearing and PKU test. Nearly broke the midwifes heart, Mae cried during the PKU. She said that's one of the worst parts of her entire job.

Midwife said I am looking great though. I am feeling great! Ready to get into exercising and MAN am I glad to not be pregnant anymore. The SPD is GONE. The blood pressure is DOWN. I am feeling HUMAN!

And best of all... I can cuddle my baby and watch daddy cuddle her too!

#251 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 PM

And for showers I put him in the bassinet and roll it into the bathroom with me. I keep the door open so the steam can get out and I sing to him while I shower. Works pretty good for us

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#252 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
lol take the baby with you or you go really fast its easier in a sling or if you bring a towel to set them down on if needed. When you gotta go, you gotta go

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#253 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 PM

I agree with the others. It is okay for them to be a little upset while you pee, you're not ignoring the baby's needs at all. It actually is the start of an important distinction where you realize that your needs are important too. I mean it's a small thing, but really you're allowed to pee!

As for me- holy growth spurt batman. I usually am able to pump a few ounces in the morning but today I had none to spare!

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
#254 of 408 Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I am pretty good at going potty with one hand and holding the nursing baby with the other one. The only part I have trouble with is washing my hands after and what I tend to do is bend my knees until the baby is supported by the bathroom counter and cradled by my elbows and then I can use both hands and wash them.

But I agree with everyone who said if you need to put your baby down to go to the bathroom and they cry that is OK. It's not like you are letting them cry while you do your nails and a full face of makeup or something.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#255 of 408 Old 10-08-2010, 01:32 AM

I am so tired. Elias was up from 11pm to 3 am nursing and fussing. And I can't sleep unless it's dark.

Otherwise, we all are doing well. My friend came over yesterday. It was her birthday so I had made a cake (chocolate--not a good idea, for Elias' sake), and we sat around, chatting. Gosh, it felt so good to have something break the monotony of sitting on the couch, nursing, changing diapers, getting my toddler more milk/food. Tomorrow is the big grocery shopping trip, which consists of our 1 month pantry stock up. My mom and sister also do this, so we've just been going together for the past few months. I am totally looking forward to it. My wrap is ready, ds loves to go especially since the last stop is Costco and he always gets extra samples, AND I get to walk. Ahhhh, to take a long walk.

Mentally doing a lot better, still. Finally set up our first appointment with the trauma therapist. Next Tuesday. We'll see if we click, and go from there. Then later on is the ICAN meeting. Not sure if all that rehashing will help or not. Hopefully it will be a bit cathartic, since both will be in safe places.

I am also skimping on the pumping. I've only done it once. I need to do it every day so that by the time spring rolls around, and I need to go to classes again, I will have a considerable freezer stash. That, and it would be nice to have some milk stashed away for when I am cleared to go back to the gym.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#256 of 408 Old 10-08-2010, 03:12 AM

Anybody used the lily pads reusable nursing pads? Do you like them? Can you use lanolin with them?

I've been using the soothies, but they are getting expensive at $10 a pair (lasting 3 days each). I don't actually leak at all, but I've got wicked cracked nipples and I pretty much HAVE to have something as a barrier between my nipples and the bra/ shirt.

If anyone has used any other products along these lines or has any other suggestions I'd love to hear.

Mama to Lulan 8/07, and Amelia Pearl 9/10
#257 of 408 Old 10-08-2010, 10:08 AM

DHs first early morning today... changed the crib to a sidecar last night. Mae coslept almost all night but it is a lot more comforting to me to have that extra bed area there on the side so she doesn't fall off.

Again, only half a day home alone though (yesterday DH didnt go into work until noon... today he works 5-noon.) so at least I am slowly being reintroduced to spending days alone. I think I am going to spend the next 4 hours sleeping though. I did not sleep so well last night... gotta get used to cosleeping again.

#258 of 408 Old 10-08-2010, 10:22 AM

ARRGH.

I have to admit it. I don't like the newborn part. Didn't like it much with #1 either. My boy is so gassy and fussy and upset, and I'm worn out. I ended up just putting him in his bassinet now and letting him cry, because that's all he's been doing for the better part of 90 min anyway. Rocking, nursing, singing, swing, vibrating chair, whatever... cry cry cry. So I told him, if you're going to cry, then I need a little space from it. It sucks. I feel like a total failure. I really just want to give him to someone else and say give him back when he's sitting up.

#259 of 408 Old 10-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Oh, Lit, I'm sorry DD2 was just like that, and it was exhausting. You are NOT a failure. Not even close. Just knowing you need to walk away makes you a good mama.

Ami--Good luck! I think telling the story will help. At least it did for me w/ DD1's birth.

MP--You are so lucky to have so much tme w/ DH!

#260 of 408 Old 10-08-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaymomma View Post
Anybody used the lily pads reusable nursing pads? Do you like them? Can you use lanolin with them?
I loved my lily pads! I only used them when my milk was coming in, but they were AMAZING! The silicone makes them cool when going on, and my body heat warmed them up and they would get nice and toasty... SO helpfull for engorgement. I used lansinoh with them, just make sure your nips are dry when you put them on, or condensation will build up. I don't know how well they would work for all day.

#261 of 408 Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM

nak

LitChick: big s. My LO sounds similar, and I completely get how hard and frustrating it can be. How old is your LO? E turned 6 weeks today, and over the past week or so I've noticed an incremental decrease in the persistent crying. In fact, we've managed to make it all morning today with minimal crying, which is wonderful, but also, given the past 6 weeks, really strange and weird. So hopefully things will get better with time (not that knowing that helps when they're screaming....).

#262 of 408 Old 10-08-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Ozzy is 14 lbs at 5 weeks!!! Holy crap, he's like a little sumo wrestler!

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#263 of 408 Old 10-08-2010, 03:05 PM

My LO is 5 weeks tomorrow. And he's been pretty cheerful since the sun came up. So at least I have that, not a full time colicky boy.
I'm glad I can vent here and get on with it. With DS1 I did not have the 'net, and thus I just sobbed and thought I was a bad mom.

#264 of 408 Old 10-08-2010, 11:57 PM

DH is getting such a kick out of my way of asking Mae if she wants to eat...

"You want some Mom-nom-noms?"

#265 of 408 Old 10-09-2010, 02:00 AM

I was soaking in the tub tonight and decided to have DH bring Mae in... and wow.

I have never had a baby not fuss during a bath before tonight... she just loooooooved it.

She hated her baby tub bath, but with me holding her up in my very full bath while daddy washed her gently, she was just loving it! kicking her legs and arms in ways that very much reminded me of the movements inside of me... I suppose the water was just the right temperature to mimic being back in the womb.

Daddy says she is his little fish just like him (he used to be on the dive team at school and loves swimming)

Also... every time it is washed, somehow... Maes hair gets lighter and curlier.

Tonight she sort of reminded me of a mad scientist... with light brown hair.

#266 of 408 Old 10-09-2010, 10:55 AM

That pic is great! Hee!
DS1 loved baths with me. DS2 finally got one, and he relaxed so much, just floated and eventually pooped. Yay!

Yesterday was a good day - on DH's advice, I went shopping in town - an hour drive. DS2 napped the whole time - 11am until we got home at 3ish. We stopped and visited my grandparents because I thought he would wake and need to nurse - nope. Even took him out and had them both hold him. He was passed OUT. And then we still had a lovely night! Perhaps a growth spurt? He's having long awake times and long sleep times now, instead of little chunks of each. Better. I like it this way.

#267 of 408 Old 10-09-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

I put Emma in the tub with me when she was about two weeks, and never looked back, haha. It's such an easier way to do it... when she was little I would just get in and have my husband hand her in to me. I only just stopped getting in with her when I was getting very hugely pregnant.

I'm still washing Ozzy sponge-bath style by the kitchen sink because up until last week I was still bleeding a bit, and our bathroom is getting "renovated" which makes it hectic. But I can't wait to do a real bath in the tub with him.

I think it helps babies to like the water... Em LOVES bath time now... If we even let the "b-a-t-h" word slip, she'll run to the bathroom door and try to open it, and grab her duck and stand by the door trying to get in, haha.

#268 of 408 Old 10-09-2010, 11:35 AM

I think it helps babies like the water, too. I took baths with dd1 from the very beginning, too. I would just barely hold her behind her neck and let her float. And she first went to a pool when she was about 3mo. She has always loved the water. Never had any fear at all. Bathtime didn't work the same with my next two, and we've had a much harder time convincing them to enjoy the pool.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#269 of 408 Old 10-10-2010, 05:36 PM

Ellie smiled today!

An honest-to-goodness whole-face, gigantic "social" grin. Unfortunately, DH missed it, b/c he was in the bedroom doing work, but my parents and sister were over, and they got to see it.

Oh my god, she is going to get away with *everything* once she starts doing this regularly. She is too adorable (and she's even napping in her bouncy chair right now...what a great day!)!

#270 of 408 Old 10-10-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurski View Post
Ellie smiled today!

An honest-to-goodness whole-face, gigantic "social" grin.
Best. thing. EVER.

Ain't it?

Ozzy has grinned at me once or twice, but no one else looks quick enough to catch it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page