I can't believe I'm even contemplating it - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
LovnMyBoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm facing the reality this week of approaching 42 weeks. While technically I can have a homebirth up until 43 weeks there is a lot of red tape after the 42 week mark which may end up with me having to go to hospital anyway.
So today the midwife put out the option of them breaking my watres to start labour. I honestly didn't even know this was an option with midwifery care here. I'm 4 cm and my cervix is completely ready to do this, baby is just still very high. So the thought is that breaking my water will likely bring baby down right away and labour will progress quite quickly.
For my first in which I was induced the arom brought on labour alone. With my second who was still pretty high during labour breaking my water at 8 cm (after being stuck at 8 cm for over 3 hrs) brought baby out in 10 mins and two pushes.
Risk are all risks associated with arom of course. Plus the fact that I didn't swab for GBS so if no baby in 18 hrs I'm headed to hospital.
Am i crazy to even consider this at this point?

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
LovnMyBoys is offline  
#2 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 05:19 PM
 
craftymcgluestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am only just approaching 41, but I still totally sympathize. With absolutely no science or experience behind this opinion, I don't think an AROM for you would be that big of a deal. For one thing, you have past experience telling you that rom brings your babies down and quickly. For another thing, arom is not even as much of an intervention (IMO) as a low dose of pitocin, which I have to admit is looking more and more attractive to me as the days tick by. I think if you can do an arom and still get your homebirth, that is a LOT better than waiting to 43 weeks, being miserable, and having to birth in the hospital. Good luck whatever you decide!

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
craftymcgluestick is offline  
#3 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 05:19 PM
 
Baby~Braatens~Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The great plains =)
Posts: 1,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a tough decision to make! Would she be willing to do a membrane sweep first? Or have you already had your membranes stripped? It's a less invasive way to (hopefully) accomplish the same thing as breaking your water ie it may progress your labor. I am wishing you the very best of luck! Please keep us updated!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Baby~Braatens~Mama is offline  
#4 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 05:28 PM
 
RedOakMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: A little stone house
Posts: 6,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The thing that always worries me about AROM when the baby is high is cord prolapse....which would lead to and emergency and likely a c-section.

I'd go for the red tape, personally, and know that your body will start when ready. I totally get the frustration and need to be done, though.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
RedOakMomma is offline  
#5 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM
 
sattygirl99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Success is how you define it
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Instead of a full on break, how about just a small prick to cause a leak? It may or may not work but it's at least a little slower and with a leak you can try to bring baby down.

In the meantime, do LOTS of squatting, bouncing, curb walking, etc to move baby down. Though plenty of mama's water breaks when baby is still high... what is 'high'? Mine was at -2 and that's not considered to be high...

you're not crazy to me... But I would try to do everything in your power to get that baby down more.... With my DD, we were planning an AROM induction (it was the ONLY induction I was allowed as a VBAC in a hospital) if I didn't go into labor on my own 2 days before my scheduled RCS at 42+1. The only 'requirment' was that I be at least 3 CM first on my own (I was already at 2CM). It may or may not have worked, I dunno, I went into labor on my own 3 or 4 days before that.

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
sattygirl99 is offline  
#6 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 PM
 
xekomaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Last Frontier
Posts: 2,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The risk of cord prolapse is pretty scary. I can see why you're thinking what you are though, especially when your midwife is suggesting it. Makes it all the more tempting. How soon do you hit 42 weeks? If you have 3-4+ days, I would just hang tight. You can always make a decision in a couple days and perhaps the baby will have dropped by then.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

xekomaya is offline  
#7 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 05:42 PM
 
Amanda_Reyasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd do it, but I don't think I'm quite as "crunchy" as some MDC moms lol...

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

 

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

Amanda_Reyasmom is offline  
#8 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 05:45 PM
 
RedOakMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: A little stone house
Posts: 6,913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattygirl99 View Post
Instead of a full on break, how about just a small prick to cause a leak? It may or may not work but it's at least a little slower and with a leak you can try to bring baby down.
This is an excellent suggestion! I'd forgotten, but it actually is suggested for situations like yours, and is the way that some practitioners avoid the risk of a cord rushing out/prolapsing with the fluid in a full-on break.

I've seen some people talk about using the slow leak/prick method, waiting for the baby to engage, THEN breaking the water fully to start labor.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
RedOakMomma is offline  
#9 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 05:47 PM
 
craftymcgluestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm, I did not even consider cord prolapse. That is a scary possibility. My new advice is... I don't know what to do about anything anymore, so I am in no position to advise about anything. Good luck, LMB.

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
craftymcgluestick is offline  
#10 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 06:26 PM
 
AustinMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it would depend on what you mean by red tape. Would I take AROM over a pit induction, knowing that it has done good for the last two pregnancies? Yes. That's if I was facing Pit induction that day. I would say if you get to that point, I'd opt for AROM, even with the risks of cord prolapse, and I would start with the leak method first.

I have done curb walking the past few days (I'm 41 tomorrow) and it has really brought baby down. Total we walk about 1.5ish miles around our neighborhood and I only curb walk periodically. Before walking though I do a lot of pelvic opening stretches like lunging, pubic symphasis alignment, butterfly, etc. Maybe that would be something you can do now if you decide to hold off on the induction.

Maybe while you are waiting for 43 weeks to hit, you can do a GBS test, too. It only takes a couple days to get the results back at most, and you may just go into labor at that point. In the least case, it will confirm/alleviate GBS infection fears if you do end up doing the AROM.

It's a rough situation. I'm so sorry.
AustinMom is offline  
#11 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 PM
 
triscuitsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Between Toronto and Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post
Maybe while you are waiting for 43 weeks to hit, you can do a GBS test, too. It only takes a couple days to get the results back at most, and you may just go into labor at that point. In the least case, it will confirm/alleviate GBS infection fears if you do end up doing the AROM.
I was going to say that too. I did the GBS swab last minute with my last pregnancy on a hunch and it turned out to be very useful (SROM that was prolonged for days... I got the results back the morning it ruptured and was negative so I had those days to wait).

Good luck Mama

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
triscuitsmom is offline  
#12 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 08:26 PM
 
heatherRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wonder what you have already tried in terms of giving labor a little push? Acupuncture? Acupressure? Chiro? Herbs? Caster oil? etc.
If all else fails I guess in your case with previous success with arom, you can feel comfortable with it, but I also agree with pp to do whatever you can to get that baby lower first.
Sorry mama
Keep us posted.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
heatherRN is offline  
#13 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
LovnMyBoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far I've been doing lots of walking, and any time I'm sitting it is doing hip circles and rocking on the birthing ball. This has been for at least the last two weeks.
I have had three stretch and sweeps done now, and have had both regular and elctro acupuncture. All have brought on contractions but nothing has progressed. I am planning on going for another electro acupuncture treatment tomorrow.
I tried getting out the breast pump but honestly my nipples are so sensitive I couldn't last beyond a minute or two even on the lowest setting. I've been doing it manually though.
I have been taking RRL tincture for the past two weeks and today started homeopathic blue and black cohosh (safer than taking the herbal versions).
Today baby was at -2 which is better than the -3 I have been at, and the BPP u/s the other day showed the cord was nowhere near the head or cervix.
I'm not considering this as an immediate option, but defintiely looking into it at this point.
I'm pretty sure the mw would be open to the slow leak option as everything is my choice on how to proceed.
Not that I will let it control my choice, but dh works weekends and was only able to take one off (the one that has just ended) so he'll be back to work as of Fri night too.
Man I really thought I'd have a baby by now.
Thanks for the input ladies....lots to consider.

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
LovnMyBoys is offline  
#14 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 09:17 PM
 
teamsalem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How high is the baby? If the baby is -2 or -3 station, I would be a bit hesitant. Although, you could ask her to needle your membranes instead, which is considered a bit safer if the baby is higher.

Is there another option? Stripping membranes instead? I would personally opt for something less invasive if I were planning a homebirth, but that is just me. Castor Oil maybe?

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

teamsalem is offline  
#15 of 16 Old 09-06-2010, 11:35 PM
 
heatherRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovnMyBoys View Post
I tried getting out the breast pump but honestly my nipples are so sensitive I couldn't last beyond a minute or two even on the lowest setting. I've been doing it manually though.
Ugh, breastpump didn't work for me at all with my first birth and since I am still breastfeeding I can say from experience even really nursing didn't do anything for my contractions until I was in active labor with #2. If it is uncomfortable I wouldn't bother. That said, before trying the pump the first time around one of the MWs recommended using oil when doing it manually and it didn't bother me at all.
Good luck

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
heatherRN is offline  
#16 of 16 Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 AM
 
forumyonly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMcGluestick View Post
I am only just approaching 41, but I still totally sympathize. With absolutely no science or experience behind this opinion, I don't think an AROM for you would be that big of a deal. For one thing, you have past experience telling you that rom brings your babies down and quickly. For another thing, arom is not even as much of an intervention (IMO) as a low dose of pitocin, which I have to admit is looking more and more attractive to me as the days tick by. I think if you can do an arom and still get your homebirth, that is a LOT better than waiting to 43 weeks, being miserable, and having to birth in the hospital. Good luck whatever you decide!
i agree 100% with this!!!!

Amanda~ mommy to Brayden (06/05), Noah (08/07), Alex (11/08), Lucy (09/10) and Kara (10/12)
forumyonly1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off