Now I don't know when to go to the hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2010, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went to the hospital last night with contractions 1-2 minutes apart. They "reclined" me to take a strip and the contractions decreased in intensity. When they checked me, I was 3 cm and 50% effaced with baby at -3 station (weird since I was -1 station on Friday) so the "dr. on call" wanted me to walk for an hour and see if there was any progression. Tons of extremely painful contractions while walking so I thought for sure it was the real thing. Next check I was still 3 cm but 70% effaced so the Dr. sent me home. We took a long walk (again 1-2 minute contractions) but was exhausted when we got home so I fell asleep (guess the contractions went away with reclining again). I have been having tons of bloody show, pieces of mucus plug but contractions have not been regular since last night. I feel like the baby is dropping but who knows. Been trying everything to get the baby to descend (walking, stairs, squatting) but I am not sure how/why the baby went backwards. So now I have no idea when to go to the hospital. Maybe I have to have the baby hanging out before I will believe this is the real thing. Feel like an idiot since this is baby #2. We have help coming on Wed since my husband can't take much time off work (would have been nice to have the baby before the 3 day weekend). If I go too late, I won't have any help (we moved when I was 36 weeks). Guess I am just totally spazzing. Any suggestions/advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 05:18 AM

Aw, hun....wish I had some good advice for you. I always tell people to go when they are climbing the walls, but thats not good advice if you have a long drive to the hospital! It's so hard to say because the answer is going to be different for each woman. Try to listen to your instincts I guess.

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 AM

yeah all you can do is listen to your body... even if your body is lying to you right now.

with DD we were an hour away from the hospital the night she was born. I was still doubting myself while we were checking in in the emergency room 3 hours before she was born.

but when it comes down to it, its better to go in and be sent home than to have your baby on the side of the road!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:27 PM

Trying the reclining or lying down at home when think it might be time. If they lessen in intensity or you're able to sleep through them then it's probably not quite time yet. If they are just as strong or keep getting stronger then I would go in.

Kelly - Labor & Delivery RN, IBCLC, Wife of 22 years, Mom to 4
Proud Surrogate Mommy

Old 09-07-2010, 01:45 PM

I agree with Kelly. When you're having contractions, try drinking water, lying down/changing position or taking a bath. If it's not true labor, those things should eventually stop the contractions. If you're truly in labor, those things won't affect the contractions. They will continue to get stronger and closer together. My midwives and doula keep telling me that pre-labor can be quite intense, especially when it's not your first baby.

It sounds like you're body is working hard and you're getting close. It probably won't be long now. The waiting is hard.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
Old 09-07-2010, 04:04 PM

DDCC

I have to reply, because that's exactly how I was this past pregnancy. (I delivered the end of August.)

I had never gone into labor with just contractions, and had so many BH's that I didn't think I would be able to tell when it was labor. But, everyone is right. Walking vs. laying down, BH's go away. Drinking water, BH's go away.

Real contractions - walking vs. laying down vs. drinking - they don't go away. And, for me, they're in a different spot. I had no trouble knowing it was time when it was for real.

Once again, Chesapeake me!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:42 PM

Hmmm... My contractions are supposedly BH's and they DON'T go away... I can lay down and still get them... Take a bath, still get them.. Drink 4 cups of water, still get them. So either mine ARE real or the whole they always go away if they're BH thing isn't true...

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattygirl99 View Post
Hmmm... My contractions are supposedly BH's and they DON'T go away... I can lay down and still get them... Take a bath, still get them.. Drink 4 cups of water, still get them. So either mine ARE real or the whole they always go away if they're BH thing isn't true...
yeah its not true unfortunately.

or id have had a break sometime in the past week.

Not even a glass of wine got rid of them.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:15 PM

Mae and Satty- Do your contractions feel ANY better when you lay down? Mine don't always go away 100% but they definitely feel better when I lay down whereas when I was in labor with my daughter, NOTHING made them better.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
Old 09-07-2010, 07:23 PM

Nope... They usually get stronger in my back and more often when I lay down.

~ Fe ~
Old 09-07-2010, 07:34 PM

mine stay the same no matter what I do.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 PM

Mine are also as strong when I am laying down as when I'm up. In fact, they are a lot more painful to me when I'm laying down. Ah, but that's our pro-dromal battle cry, eh?

I wish I had advice for you Shorty. I think Mae is right that it's better to go in with the not real thing and go home than be stuck in a car somewhere. On the other hand, I went to 4 cm last Tuesday and my labor stopped, so I think had i been at the hospital, they would have shot some pit in me and we would have ended up with a c-section and who knows what all.

I have finally decided I'll know I'm in labor when my water breaks because I have already experienced every other red herring there is! So frustrating!

Also, do not feel dumb because this is your second baby. My MW told me that she had a client who was on her FIFTH baby and her labor was so bizarre/confusing, that she went out to her house 4 times before it was actual baby-getting time.

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM

Im on baby #3 and have had the thought at least once every day for the past week "Is this the real thing?"

So far the answer is still "no."

But you would think, by baby #3 I would know right? Yeah... not so much. My midwives say its totally normal. I should know since this is the second baby to do this to me!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 PM

Yea, I'm with Mae, Satty and Crafty. They don't change. And sometimes, the urge to push is intense too. :headscratch

Maybe I'll believe it when I'm holding my baby.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Old 09-07-2010, 09:38 PM

yep, add me to the group. I'm afraid that I won't call my doula and midwife in time and we'll end up with an accidental UC...the midwife is coming from 2 1/2 hours away, the doula 2 hours. I've had some "oh boy" moments this last week or so that made me wonder....and this is baby #4! The BH are just getting stronger and stronger.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 PM

According to my midwife, when I expressed the same concern to her...

At least the births that happen THAT fast tend (about 99.9% or more of the time) to be the healthy ones with no complications. The only births any woman would want to UC. (Even the ones planning UC would only want to UC a healthy complication-free birth, of course. Because we would be crazy to want to UC our own C-Section)

Old 09-07-2010, 10:16 PM

I've had that vision of having this baby without my MW... Luckily we were planning a UC for a while and we're OK/prepared for that but with her coming from 1.5 hours away (without traffic, God help her if it's rush hour) and her assistant coming from 2 or 2.5 hours away, it's certainly possible that it'll be an 'oh crap, here comes baby' moment.

Sadly, my entire support team is a distance away... My mom if at work is 45 min away, my MIL (who isn't so much support for me but for my kids) is an hour or so away... DH is the only one close (he works about 20 min away). We joke that our list for calls in labor is him at the bottom, because he's closest. Either that or I'll call him from the home line and the MW from the cell phone, LOL. Heck, maybe I'll just do a conference call, lol.

~ Fe ~
Old 09-08-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
According to my midwife, when I expressed the same concern to her...

At least the births that happen THAT fast tend (about 99.9% or more of the time) to be the healthy ones with no complications. The only births any woman would want to UC. (Even the ones planning UC would only want to UC a healthy complication-free birth, of course. Because we would be crazy to want to UC our own C-Section)
thank your midwife for me, because I think you just gave me something to tell DH that will calm his nerves!

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

User Tag List