How do you NOT think labor will start, and... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how do you think it will, and how do you HOPE it will?

For me, I would be shocked out of my mind if my water broke first. I don't know why. I know it's not so uncommon that it couldn't possibly happen, but I just strongly feel it won't happen that way. I'd also be very surprised if she came anytime soon, even before the EDD at all.

I think I'm going to end up induced But that's just my negative mind set because I was induced with DD and like lots of other women who never experienced spontaneous labor before, it's hard for me to imagine going into labor myself, hard to believe my body really works that way!

If I could choose, though, the ideal, it would start right after the labor massage class we have Friday night, give me just enough time to come home, pack my bags, have DH put DD to bed, leave her with my mom (who will already be here, conveniently) and a few hours later be in the birth center holding the baby happily!

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
I think I'm going to end up induced But that's just my negative mind set because I was induced with DD and like lots of other women who never experienced spontaneous labor before, it's hard for me to imagine going into labor myself, hard to believe my body really works that way!
Same mindset happens to women it HAS spontaneously started with (no induction at all with DD)

I know... from experience even... that you can have NO symptoms of labor and have baby less than 12 hours later!

However, I still cant understand that, you know?

I know that until midnight that night I didn't have a single sign of labor... and DD was born a bit after 830 the next morning... I seriously thought I would be pregnant forever until then...

And yet, with this little girl... I'm back to thinking I will be pregnant forever!!!

To answer the other questions...

I'm convinced labor will start late at night and I will try forcing myself to sleep through it but not be able to, thus knowing its real.

I'm afraid of it starting any other time of day and doubting whether or not its real, to the point that I have her UC home alone with NO ONE here.

I doubt it will start with my water breaking as with DS it was AROM and with DD it broke during transition.

If its anything like DD... it will start as a backache that just sorts of nags at the back of my head that somethings going on... some bloody show... slowly turn into tummy contractions that get stronger and stronger (albeit after 5 hours were still not so strong I couldn't concentrate through them... making me think it wasn't the real thing!) then suddenly im in transition and screaming my head off that this is a big mistake and Id rather wait a year or two before having her... then 20 minutes later holding her in my arms.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Mentally I think I'm a little messed up and insecure about this stuff...both of my previous labors started with ROM, and now it's the only way I feel I can start a labor. To me, the whole idea of actually starting with *gasp* a CONTRACTION! seems improbable. Impossible, even.

My biggest fear is that my body won't do its normal thing, and I'll end up with an induction. I just watched "The Business of Being Born," so now (even more), I equate induction with pitocin with baby stress with epidural with c-section. I keep telling dh "I do NOT want anything going into my spine!!!" (I had a botched spinal tap that gave me the dreaded spinal headache, and it was one of the most painful experiences of my life.).

So, to answer the question...I think that labor will not start with contractions, even though my logical mind says that's the most common way. For me, the only labor I've known is the "ROM...now sit around and wait for 12 hours" approach.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 AM

i cant imagine labor starting in the middle of the day with my water breaking and having a fast labor

i keep thinking it will be at night some time starting with contractions and lasting a long time

every morning when i get up i feel like.. ehh ok well maybe tomorrow then.. lol

Amanda~ mommy to Brayden (06/05), Noah (08/07), Alex (11/08), Lucy (09/10) and Kara (10/12)
Old 09-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumyonly1 View Post
every morning when i get up i feel like.. ehh ok well maybe tomorrow then.. lol
I am EXACTLY the same!!!

I actually post on Facebook every morning... no baby today!

my family is all... oh she will come when she comes, it could happen fast! You could still have her before lunch!

Yeah... I dont see that happening. If I havent gone into labor by 8am, Im not going into labor that day.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post

This is exactly how I feel. I've had 2 inductions and have never had the "oh it's LABOR" feeling ever. Hearing that I'm not even dilated at 40 weeks (and was with the other 2) just makes me feel that even more.

I guess the way I want to go into labor is naturally and SOON.

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
Old 09-08-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2chloerae View Post
I guess the way I want to go into labor is naturally and SOON.

I hate that right now I have so little faith in my body!

Personally, I don't see labor starting during the day either. I anticipate heading to the hospital at night for whatever reason.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 PM

I can't imagine it beginning in the day, so I also wake up thinking to myself...okay, not today Labor seems like such a night time activity, although with my DD it was night and then day and then night again!

I hope that this time it begins in early evening, preferably after a well rested day when the house is clean, and baby will come within 4-6 hours in the dark of the night, and then we'll all snuggle into bed and sleep! Is that too optimistic? After reading so many good quick stories from our DDC, it seems quite possible!

Also good to hear that in under 12 hours you can go from NO labor signs to baby in arms....I feel a bit discouraged that there are no signs and no progressive changes to my cervix...like labor will be weeks away. (I'm 39+1 today)
Old 09-08-2010, 02:15 PM

I do NOT think I'll go into labor during the day. As for water breaking?? I have no clue. My water broke with my first 2 as the first sign of labor (1st at 9am, she was born at 4:07am. 2nd, water broke at 12:30am and he was born at 4:42am....yep.... NO labor signs to baby in 4 hours). When I was preggo w/ #3 I doubted I'd be able to recognize real labor if my water didn't break first and I was right! For the first 2 hours of labor with her I told myself that I wasn't in labor and even got VERY mad at (ex) dh when he called the homebirth doc to come over. With her contrax started at 9pm and she was born at 4:01am (water broke when I started pushing).

My dream birth would be to go into labor (or have water break with contrax soon following) sometime after 8:30pm (when the kids go to bed), with a clean house, full belly, not too tired, head to the hospital 5 minutes away around 3:30am and have the baby in arms sometime in the 4am hour (so as to follow the trend set by my other kids lol). The kids could go to school and come visit us in the hospital after we've had some bonding and resting time.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
Old 09-08-2010, 02:24 PM

I was also induced with DD (at 41w6d), and wonder how this labor will start. I did have some spontaneous contractions with DD, about 36 hours before the induction, but they petered out. I had an acupuncture appointment that day and used evening primrose oil before going to bed, and I wonder how much both those things contributed to the contractions.

One of my fears is that I'll have days of contractions like that that will go nowhere, and I'll be exhausted by the time labor really gets going. At least with the induction I got to go in well rested at 9:00 AM, and DD was born 12 hours later.

I'm also worried that labor will start on one of the days where I am exhausted because DD has had a bad night. She's been going through all kinds of sleep changes lately: some good, and some not-so-good, and it's been making it hard for me to get good rest. I managed to get through Pitocin contractions with no pain meds with DD, but I don't know if I could do that again if I were exhausted to start with, especially now that I'm three years older.

In my ideal world, I would go into labor after all the stuff has arrived that we've ordered in a fit of nesting and feathering our nest with some of DH's bonus. Our chest freezer comes (this Saturday), we still need to borrow an SUV to pick up DD's new bookshelf, and we are also planning on replacing our couch. It would also be really nice to go into labor I've had some time off work to decompress and have some fun with DD. My last day is Friday, and that also happens to be her first day of preschool. So it would be lovely for her to get in a nice groove at school before the baby arrives. She's very social so I think she'll love it regardless, but for her sake it would be nice for her to feel as settled in as possible.

I'd also love to have time to do all the fun little things I got to do to prepare for DD's birth: making a gift basket for the nurses, mixing up sitz bath herbs, making frozen witch-hazel post-partum pads, etc. I'd love to do some cooking and make some good freezer meals. Also want to get the guest room as ready as possible for when my in-laws and my parents come to stay with us. My parents are coming on the 25th, and the last possible day I could still be pregnant would be the 28th (my midwife practice schedules inductions at 42 weeks). So it would be nice to go into labor a few days before my parents arrive.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
Old 09-08-2010, 06:18 PM

i don't want to say it - but i feel like my labor will never start .

i hope labor does not start with my water breaking in public...

but really, I would like my labor to start. period. i don't really care how it happens, but i picture it happening at night.. probably because i'd rather be well rested :P if i can picture it happenign at all. its all so surreal ..

i am totally convinced i will have no idea what is going on unless my water breaks because i've never had real painful contractions without being on pitocin for several hours.. i SO want to actually go into labor all on my own this time...

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM

I would be shocked if my labor started in the next few days and it started with my water breaking. I can't picture going into labor at 38 weeks. I guess I kind of expect it to be like the last two times and it to start at night with regular cramp like contractions. My water stayed intact to the end with my ds so I don't expect it to break early.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
Old 09-08-2010, 07:42 PM

I can't imagine that labor will start at all.

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've had so many cervical twinges and pokes lately I'm starting to wonder how labor will NOT start with my water breaking. Although I really really don't want that because I'm convinced I'll be so nervous about not starting real labor that I'll make it stop and the policy up here is awful once your water breaks.

I'm really really hoping I'll start real labor in the early afternoon, hubby can come home from work and set up my birth pool, and then I'll have the baby right after ds goes to sleep for the night when he is sleeping most soundly.

I have wondered if my water will break while getting an adjustment from the chiro lol.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:11 AM

I can't see it happening... at all. absolutely no idea or feelings or inklings. Just a desire to not be induced and to avoid a cs if at all possible. No feelings of ill omen, but no reassuring everything will be fine feelings either. Kwim?

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:38 PM

Finally decided to respond in this thread

Ever---I don't think labor will start EVER

NOW---I hope labor will start NOW.

(it didn't )
Old 09-09-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post
Finally decided to respond in this thread

Ever---I don't think labor will start EVER

NOW---I hope labor will start NOW.

(it didn't )

i can relate

Amanda~ mommy to Brayden (06/05), Noah (08/07), Alex (11/08), Lucy (09/10) and Kara (10/12)
Old 09-09-2010, 03:03 PM

I don't think my labor will start with my water breaking. I also don't think it will start during the day.

I think it will start in the middle of the night. All 3 of mine have.

I hope it starts as soon as our house is ready and I am rested. It's so silly, but I'd really like to have another baby on my due date (today!). I have so much more I'd like to do, but my feet are so swollen and sore I'm lying down during naptime to try to fix it. And, I'm pretty sure I won't start labor until things are ready. I've been feeling my body resist it. I know that sounds wierd. I'm just waiting to give the mental "okay, go ahead." And then I really think it will happen.

And I really hope I'm not disappointed, lol.

Dh has to be gone 2 days next week. Yeup. Wednesday and Thursday. It's a physical he needs for a school he's going to, and they only do this particular test once a quarter. He cannot miss it. So...I'd like to have the baby before he leaves. I think. Although, I'm not sure I want two days by myself with all the kids and dogs that soon pp. Hmmm...it's certainly a trade-off.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 09-09-2010, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I would be shocked if it started during the day or not at home.

I bet it will start late at night, with a big strong contraction followed by leaking water. I thought last night was going to be it b/c of how downward my contraction was pushing.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014

User Tag List