Anyone else thinking about the 11th as a birthday? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it's "patriot's" day, but really...I am really, Really, REALLY hoping I don't have a baby on Saturday. I was pregnant with my twins on 9/11, and I have such a negative, awful feeling about that day as it relates to being pregnant or having babies to think of.

I'm doing everything I can to start labor, but then I keep thinking...PLEASE don't let it work on Saturday!!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#2 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 02:49 PM

9/11 is a very special day to my family... and we actually hope Mae is born then.

But that is 9/11/03 not 9/11/01...

9/11/03 my mom was informed she was in remission from Breast Cancer. She considers that her Second Birthday.

but then...

I also wanted to have her on 8/27, 9/1, 9/3, 9/4, 9/8 and so far nothing.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 PM

A friend of mine had a daughter on 9/11 12 years ago and has to deal with people making comments about her birthday pretty much yearly. I could see that being a PITA and wouldn't try to have him then, but I won't be holding my legs together either. I do feel like it'd avoid a headache from a lifetime of comments if he just waits a day longer.

Teacher Mama to (8/03) (6/06) and (9/10)
#4 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 03:06 PM

i've been thinking about this.. it seems a logical day for my daughter to be born.. (her father was born on april fools day.. his due date was march 17th..... they told his mom she would be induced on the first and she asked if she could wait until the 2nd so she didnt have an april fools baby.. and he came on the first any way....)

personally i'd be happy to have her saturday.. not because of the date.. just because i'm soooo ready to have her!

9/11/01 was my friends sweet sixteen.. i think she hated her birthday from that point on..

Amanda~ mommy to Brayden (06/05), Noah (08/07), Alex (11/08), Lucy (09/10) and Kara (10/12)
#5 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 03:09 PM

The 12th is really what I'm hoping for, although it's possible the kid will just grow up with comments about how close they came to being born on 9/11. That would just be obnoxious.

Me, DH, and DS (9/18/10), living in a multi-generational household (non-pathetic way of saying we live in my parents' basement).
#6 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 03:27 PM

It actually would be great for our family, and very significant. I'm hoping for it, in all honesty. I don't want to miss our "due date", just for the coolness of that, but...Saturday would just be huge to us.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#7 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
It actually would be great for our family, and very significant. I'm hoping for it, in all honesty. I don't want to miss our "due date", just for the coolness of that, but...Saturday would just be huge to us.
It would be awesome if you and I both had ours that day LOL

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#8 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I dunno... don't throw tomatoes at me, but I don't see it being as big a deal (9/11, that is) when they are older. Like, someone born on December 7th doesn't have a problem with it now.

My BIL's birthday is 9/11 and he doesn't have a problem with it.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#9 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 04:26 PM

You know, for the entire pregnancy I've been thinking, gosh, I really hope we don't hit the 11th. Now? I don't care, I want this baby out. Ugh.

And yes, while the day has so many negative associations for us, I don't think our children will find it to be the same and I'm not really concerned about it.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#10 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 04:48 PM

i would prefer today (my grandpa's birthday) .. but saturday would be ok - i'm not too excited about it being hte 11th, but i think it would beo k in the long run.. i kind of hope to have her on saturday because my other kids and DH's birthday AND our anniversary are all on saturdays this year so they could all have the same day of the week every year if this baby is born on a saturday - and i don't particularly want to wait til next week or the week after :P

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#11 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 PM

My dd was due on the 16th and this one the 22nd. With her I was hoping to avoid that day but this time I don't see it as a big deal. I really doubt I would go that early though. My dh has a birthday on the day of the OKC bombing and Waco and my dad was born on the actual D-day. I know it isn't the same scale but it isn't really an issue with them.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#12 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2chloerae View Post
A friend of mine had a daughter on 9/11 12 years ago and has to deal with people making comments about her birthday pretty much yearly. I could see that being a PITA and wouldn't try to have him then, but I won't be holding my legs together either. I do feel like it'd avoid a headache from a lifetime of comments if he just waits a day longer.
I know...in several generations this is going to be like the Pearl Harbor date (and really...who thinks of that much anymore?), but this situation above is what I'm worried about. "oooh...9/11...what a day for a birthday...."

Not exactly cheery. Plus, I don't know if it was being pregnant on 9/11/01, but I really can't shake the idea that it's about the last day I'd want a child of mine being born.

#13 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 06:06 PM

I suppose it's all in how you think of it...

You could think of it negatively... how horrible it would be to have a birthday on the anniversary of such a tragedy OR you could think about how much of an amazing reminder it is of LIFE. Sadly, there are tragedies daily. But the circle of life goes on... While we mourn the loss of the people who's lives were taken that day, we also relish and celebrate in new life that continues to come day after day.

I originally said I didn't want a baby born on 9/11. But when I think about it, it's a blessing that even in the memory of something tragic, there is beauty and miracles that still happen.

Just my thoughts...

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#14 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 06:36 PM

My u/s due date is 9/10 and LMP 9/12, so it seems logical that 9/11 might be it.
When talking about this with someone recently they mentioned it would be a nice way to give new definition to the date. I also agree that as years pass fewer people will even recognize the significance. I am going to bet 2-3 of us will deliver then!

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#15 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 PM

Saturday is my due date. Every time some asks when I'm due and I tell them I get a look or a comment -- except from my BIL. It's his birthday so he's cheering for the 11th.
#16 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 07:17 PM

I don't really think the date will fade in the public consciousness the same way as, for instance, the Oklahoma City bombing date. I don't even remember the date of that offhand and my windows were blown out in the blast. The thing about 9/11 is that that's what it's called. It's never really been called the twin towers attack or anything. It's only referred to as September 11th or 9/11.

But I can totally see it being a positive thing to have a baby on that day and bring forth life on a day that's associated with a tragedy. So I think I'd be okay with the baby coming on Saturday.

Me, DH, and DS (9/18/10), living in a multi-generational household (non-pathetic way of saying we live in my parents' basement).
#17 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
The thing about 9/11 is that that's what it's called. It's never really been called the twin towers attack or anything. It's only referred to as September 11th or 9/11.
Exactly.

That said, one of the things that has helped me be most committed to the idea of not being induced is the idea of the child "choosing their own birthday", so if that's what she chose, I'd have to think there was a reason for that and when she was meant to be born. I've always been a little sad to think I made DD come on a day she didn't want to, especially after my sister ever so nicely pointed out in an astrology book that the day after DD's birthday had both my and DH's birthdays as complimentary!

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#18 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 09:40 PM

My son was born on 12/7 and only people older than myself ever point out that it is Pearl Harbor Day...but it is a frequent thing pointed out. However, as a PP said Sept 11th is only referred to as 9/11 and is never referred to as Patriot's Day so I think for the next few generations there will be a stigma with the date. As a NYer, I wouldn't really want the date for a b-day...I remember watching out my classroom window the burning buildings and worrying about my older sister who worked there...my younger sister is having my neice's Christening on Sat and when I first got the invite, I did think, why did you pick the 11th it is such a day of sadness? But I do understand reassigning something happy to the date.

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#19 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the farther out we get from the day of the attacks, the less intense the reactions to the day seem. I remember knowing a couple people with babies born on the one year anniversary, and that was rough for them. But now it doesn't seem so hard. I see a lot of non 9/11 related events going on this year, for example. Like a local Catholic Church is having their annual Octoberfest on that day, and I've seen a bunch of other stuff scheduled for the 11th, too.
#20 of 43 Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And oops, I totally DDCC on accident!! Sorry!
#21 of 43 Old 09-10-2010, 01:26 AM

If having her on 9/11 means I won't be pregnant on 9/12, I'm ALL for it.

Ideally, I'd like to have her on 9/10, or 9/9....I still have half an hour for that one.....that'd be a very intense labor, but quick!
#22 of 43 Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
I think the farther out we get from the day of the attacks, the less intense the reactions to the day seem. I remember knowing a couple people with babies born on the one year anniversary, and that was rough for them. But now it doesn't seem so hard. I see a lot of non 9/11 related events going on this year, for example. Like a local Catholic Church is having their annual Octoberfest on that day, and I've seen a bunch of other stuff scheduled for the 11th, too.
Yeah, we have a Farmers Fest to go to tomorrow... very much not 9/11 related, but is on 9/11

I actually do not think there is anything going on here dealing with 9/11 and we live at a Military base!

Next year though, 9/11/11... thats gonna be a big year. But only because its been 10 years. And Im sure most of it will be focused, as it slowly has over the years, on what we have done as a country to overcome it.

#23 of 43 Old 09-10-2010, 09:59 AM

DDCC to add that my wedding anniversary is on 9/11 and I think it is wonderful to have a reason to celebrate the day instead of giviing the terrorists reason to be remembered. Not that we shouldn't remember the tragedy, but to be able to move on and have something representing the day - especially new birth....don't let the terrorists ruin that for you.

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#24 of 43 Old 09-10-2010, 10:09 AM

My due date was 9/12 by u/s and 9/8 by LMP, we figured there was a good chance we might hit 9/11 and weren't thrilled about it! However, DH and I both felt that down the line, this date would not be so significant, and that it would be much more so to us who lived through 9/11/01 then our children, who didn't. All along I said there were two days we wanted to avoid- 9/7 the first day of school- was the other, and we managed to miss both. Although at my 39week appt, the day before I delivered, I told the midwife we would have her either 9/7 or 9/11 because they were the two days I wanted to avoid!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#25 of 43 Old 09-10-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
That said, one of the things that has helped me be most committed to the idea of not being induced is the idea of the child "choosing their own birthday", so if that's what she chose, I'd have to think there was a reason for that and when she was meant to be born. I've always been a little sad to think I made DD come on a day she didn't want to, especially after my sister ever so nicely pointed out in an astrology book that the day after DD's birthday had both my and DH's birthdays as complimentary!
s, bri. I like your thoughts on this, though. It's really important for me that our girl choose her birthday, too, and if she happens to choose tomorrow, then she chooses tomorrow.

And yeah...I'd rather have 9/11 than an induction on 9/20 or something.

#26 of 43 Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post
You know, for the entire pregnancy I've been thinking, gosh, I really hope we don't hit the 11th. Now? I don't care, I want this baby out. Ugh.

And yes, while the day has so many negative associations for us, I don't think our children will find it to be the same and I'm not really concerned about it.
DH has expressed some concern that this will be our baby's birthday, but I just want to have a baby! DESPERATELY. If it can't be today, I'll happily take tomorrow! He can come on 666 for all I care (not that I am waiting until whenever that would next be!). Also, 9/11 is my oldest brother's birthday, which is really neither here nor there to me as he and I are estranged, but...every day is someone's birthday. At least we're in the clear for our babies sharing one with Hitler, right?

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#27 of 43 Old 09-10-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaJenn View Post
DDCC to add that my wedding anniversary is on 9/11 and I think it is wonderful to have a reason to celebrate the day instead of giviing the terrorists reason to be remembered. Not that we shouldn't remember the tragedy, but to be able to move on and have something representing the day - especially new birth....don't let the terrorists ruin that for you.
What a wonderful thing to say! I love this attitude! I am adopting it!

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#28 of 43 Old 09-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dropping in to add that my niece turned one y.o. on 9/11/01, and while that day was horrible, it's been wonderful ever since to have a reason to celebrate someone's birth.

Birthday candles are a extra special way to light up the darkness.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#29 of 43 Old 09-10-2010, 03:16 PM

Hear that, baby? Not being born tomorrow means Al Qaeda wins. Is that what you want?

*not being flip about 9/11 loss- I've cried about it a lot already looking at the videos on NPR.com from native NY'ers experiencing the day firsthand- they're amazing, check them out if you have time.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#30 of 43 Old 09-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Bri, that really is the underlying thing. The point of that attack was to stop our way of life. To shake us up and make it hard for us to go on. It was a shock, and an awful thing, but we DID go on. And we WILL go on. Life goes on. Americans pull together, and we press ahead, especially in the face of tragedy.

The difference to me between the Oklahoma City bombing, and 9/11, though, is that one was done by one of our own. The other was an act of war. Both terrorist acts, but not of the same caliber whatsoever. 9/11 will impact our children's children. I don't think it's something that's going to fade anytime soon.

Maybe the reality is more in my face than it is for others, since dh is a Marine. For starters, dh is a Marine BECAUSE of 9/11. He literally completely and totally changed the course of his/our lives that day. Secondly, it comes up in my daily life. "Mama, why is Daddy in Afghanistan." Well, and I sighed and took a deep breath...and I told my sweet 5yo all about that day.

But, there is promise and hope. Just like 9/11 changed the course of our life 9 years ago, this baby is the healing of that event. Dh was able to finish what he felt called to do after 9/11. His heart was content that he had done his part. He came home, and I got pg right away. He was ready to come home, and just be a husband and a Daddy. For our baby to come on 9/11 is a redefining of the day. It's a new beginning.

And I think it could be for a lot of people.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page