Andrew/Crafty Birth Story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2010, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I'm awake at 4 a.m...why shouldn't I post a birth story?

As some of you may know, by the time Andrew came along, I was 41 w 6 days, seriously desperate, physically and emotionally deteriorated, and had been kind of questioning the skill (or lack of it) of our midwife for weeks. Last Friday, one of my very best friends had her baby (Edd 9/24) and despite being SO happy for her (truly) became totally sick with grief for myself. In my heart, I knew my boy was healthy as a horse, but also that my MW was missing something or that there was a puzzle piece missing. Sunday, my DH and I discussed and cried (the crying was mostly me) a plan of action. I was truly at the end of my rope. Finally, we agreed that an induction right at 42 weeks would be the thing, even though I was filled with dread about it.

When I called my MW Monday to discuss, she agreed she was feeling uneasy about my pregnancy and induction was the next step. In total consistency with her obliviousness to why I wanted homebirth in the first place (we've discussed MANY times) told me she only had a contact for such an option at a hospital 2
hours away ( not in the town where either I live OR her birth center is). I knew I still wanted to be close to home and having been really impressed with my friend's experience from Friday, decided to follow her path.

I contacted her doctor who was incredibly receptive to my needs and wishes and he saw me Monday afternoon, only about maybe 4 hours after, in a true desperate act, had taken castor oil (more on that later). At the visit, he discovered heavy protein in my urine, calcifications on my placenta, low amniotic fluid, and a BIG baby. He was not distressed, but did think sooner was better than later to proceed. He also noted I was still 4cm and about 75% effaced and stripped my membranes. I then went next door to the hospital to pre-register for Tuesday (a day earlier than planned as a result of the appointment and to have a non-stress test. I got to meet the nurses at labor & delivery who were wonderfully receptive to my wishes and very kind. I even began crying because of my relief at having a plan and feeling so well supported in it.

By the time we returned home (DH went with me to everything), I was having some pretty hard contractions. As this has been my MO for about 3 weeks, I thought it was just more of the same. I took a warm bath, then ate a good dinner with my mom and DH. During dinner, still in my bath robe, I began contractions that sort of took me to another place. I heard/felt a pop and was sure my water had broken, but no fluid came out. There was no doubt I was in hard labor though because I rushed to the toilet for contractions relief posing and I threw up my whole dinner (or so I thought). I guess I was just a house of cards and the castor oil, membrane stripping, and relief about a decision helped it all tumble.

At that point, I could still have opted for homebirth, but my desire for it was gone. I had a lot of fear and I wanted to go somewhere I felt safe, which I really, really had earlier at the hospital. So my DH and mom got together my hospital bag, loaded me and the birth ball in the car about 7 p.m. (about 20 min after broken water) and off we went, with me on another planet contracting.

When we arrived at the hospital, I literally rolled in on my birth ball, barely modest, crying out... and believe me, they hustled to get me into a wheelchair up to L & D.

I got set up in a SUPER deluxe birthing suite with my family and got set up. I was between 5-6 cm and the nurses were just so, so caring! DH and my mom really supported me physically while I labored. About 1.5 hours later at 7 cm(ish), I began having contractions that to me felt like Lord Voldemort had taken over my soul and was ripping me apart from the inside. I surprised myself and decided I wanted some relief and got a shot of fene...eh, can't remember the name. It took the edge off, but It wore off quickly and I was writhing and sweating and feeling other-worldly still. At NO ONE's urging, pressure, or suggestion, I did ask for and get an epidural. Drug-free birth had always been my plan, but having already changed my plans that day, I accepted plans can change. I had been up since 5 a.m. and I just truly felt like. I didn't have any endurance or fight left. I am not trying to justify the epidural and don't feel I need to, just want to explain my reasoning. Also, one of my fears about epidural is that it would stop my labor and lead to c-section, but at that point, there was no doubt I was in a one-way freight train to vaginal delivery. Anywho, the epidural did NOT take away all feeling as I had feared, but it did allow me to rest and feel peaceful in between what simply became the powerful pressure waves hypnobirthing had me expecting and the strength of spirit for the somewhat tricky delivery of a 10 lb baby.

When I was fully dillated and pushing became involuntary, my rascally son was still trying to stay in and was somehow rotating postterior to anterior and back again. How, I have no idea, but DH watched as our doctor expertly turned and guided him for about 40 minutes of pushing under my pubic bone with the use of forceps. This part, by the way, was only made bearable, IMO, thanks to the epidural.

After another 20-30 minutes of pushing, Andrew was HERE! I immediately had him on my body and DH cut the cord after it stopped pulsating. Andrew began nursing IMMEDIATELY and I cried and cried at the joy and beauty of the moment.

Meanwhile... My OB was catching my also huge placenta, then expertly stitching about a 2.5 inch tear. He said he actually had never seen so little tearing on a baby that big in a first-time mom. (shout out to perineal massage!) I also developed, in the course of laboring, THREE walnut-sized hemorrhoids...ow.

But it was a thrill! We are all just incredibly pleased with how everything worked out. I have really felt nurtured and cared for at the hospital, with the exception on a nursery nurse I want to facepunch and we couldn't be more in love with our Andrew.

Okay, now about the castor oil. What MaerynPearl said in Andrew's birth announcement thread was pretty much just right. The experience of taking it (mine was mixed with orange sherbet) was not too terrible, but by the time I was in active labor about 6-7 hours later, I was REALLY weak from dehydration (nothing stayed in!) and I'm sure the *constant* bathroom trips didn't do a lot for my old pals the hemorrhoids, but I guess the upside is I stayed totally poop free in delivery? ...cause there wasn't any. But I did have to get saline while laboring. So not that awesome there. It is a drastic measure and I say do it if you're feeling drastic (as I was). But proceed with caution!

Thanks for reading this far if you made it! Will add pictures soon!

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMcGluestick View Post
About 1.5 hours later at 7 cm(ish), I began having contractions that to me felt like Lord Voldemort had taken over my soul and was ripping me apart from the inside.
ROTFL... not that this type of pain is funny, but, well... that's kind of funny

I so know what you're talking about, I had those types of contractions with my first birth.

And wow, that baby did NOT want to come out! So glad that now you get to have him on the outside!

And I'm glad that you had a good hospital experience despite originally planning differently. You went for where you felt comfortable and that's the number one thing in labor.

And if my experience means anything, if you have another baby you could have a very different birth in terms of pain. My first was a very painful ordeal (I almost got the epi too, would have if I hadn't suddenly been fully dilated), and then with my second a few weeks ago, I didn't even believe I was in labor until like 8 cm

Congratulations on your son! Enjoy him and take it easy, you deserve it! (but don't take it too easy-- you have to get us some pics )

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Old 09-15-2010, 11:14 AM

Love the birth story, Crafty! I'm so glad things worked out for you!
Being in a place where you feel safe is the most important thing! Welcome Andrew, can't wait to see pictures of your new arrival.

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

Old 09-15-2010, 11:16 AM

wow! what a great story!! I'm sooo glad he is finally here and that everything turned out so well for you! i'm really disappointed in your midwife though.. that part sucks..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
Old 09-15-2010, 12:08 PM

Wow...sounds like an intense experience. Sooooo glad that you were able to get your vaginal birth, though. And good for you (and your dh!) for finding a path and a place where you felt comfortable. That couldn't have been easy so late in the game.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 09-15-2010, 01:32 PM

Thanks for posting your story! I also know what you mean about the unbearable pain -- had that with my first as well, and also ended up with epi, which IMO allowed the vaginal birth. Hoping for a different experience this time...this little guy is not posterior, thank goodness!

Congratulations again! Hope you have a speedy recovery and are enjoying time with your LO!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:31 PM

I'm so happy for you guys! How is the PUPPP doing now that he's been born? I hope you're getting some relief!

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
Old 09-15-2010, 03:54 PM

congratulations!!

Mom of 8 children 4 Boys : and 4 girls :2 dogs named Kibblez and Brook , sadly miss my Husband that passed 03/03/2007 !Trully Miss my Brother Joey that passed on 3/25/09..Sadly miss my dearest son T.J that passed 1/19/2014 forever in my heart!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:33 AM

Wow! What a story! I know you said you didn't have to justify it (and you don't) but given the forceps and your tear it seems like your instinct for an epi earlier on was a good one. I am really glad that you gave birth in a place and with a birth attendant that you felt comfortable with, and so, so happy that your son is safely in your arms. Can't wait for pics. Congratulations!

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

Old 09-17-2010, 05:33 PM

Great story! Good for you to follow your instincts and go back to the hospital. I had a long, painful birth with DD and an epidural which allowed me to keep going. Many people didn't understand how I could choose HB after that, but every birth is different. Mamas have wonderful intuition!
Congrats again!

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
Old 09-17-2010, 05:54 PM

Great job, Crafty! You should be so proud of yourself for being flexible and making the decisions that you felt were necessary and that allowed you to give birth to your son safely. I hope you're feeling better from the PUPPPs and enjoying every minute with your baby!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:48 PM

loved the birth story!!! love your attitude about everything!! congratulations!! i'm so glad you got to feel that comfort with your provider at the end! so happy for you!

Amanda~ mommy to Brayden (06/05), Noah (08/07), Alex (11/08), Lucy (09/10) and Kara (10/12)
Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 PM

congrats - i am DDDC b/c the title caught my eye. I also have an Andrew that was born at 41W6D

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009

User Tag List