do you tip an acupuncturist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to see an acupuncturist last night, and I feel like she gave my check a slightly surprised look. I've gone for acupuncture in the past, but always at a clinic dedicated to acupuncture. This time it was at the person's house in an in-home treatment studio.

I view acupuncture as medical treatment, not beauty/vanity/spa treatment...so I didn't even think to tip. I wouldn't tip a doctor or an herbalist, either.

I have another appointment on Thursday, this time at her clinic in-town. I'm not sure what to do, payment & tip-wise!

What do you think?

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Uh oh, I have never tipped for acupuncture either. I had a treatment yesterday too, any action for you? I may go again on Thursday as well, but it isn't cheap.

I have had many treatments over many years and it has never occurred to me to tip until yesterday as I left my treatment. Funny, that you posted this today...

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've been stressing about it!

...I did have four hours of contractions last night, but they went away as soon as I went to sleep. My acupuncturist, who I really do trust (I saw her at her old clinic years ago), said it can take two or three treatments for it to really work. I can only afford two.

She did say, though, that the treatments can help moms in other ways...balancing out hormones and organ responses pre-birth leads to easier recoveries and smoother births. If the treatments don't kick-start labor, I can at least feel like I had a few sessions of relaxation (which Looooooove about acupuncture) and internal pampering, yk?

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 PM

I wouldn't tip them... but then I rarely tip even in situations where people think its mandatory because, quite frankly, its not. (and this is coming from someone who used to work as a waitress and know how much I depended on tips... but as such I was over-the-top good at my job to ensure I at least deserved what they gave me) I tip if I really really like the service I was given, but otherwise no.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:58 PM

No, I was a massage therapist for a few years before I gave it up. Tips are wonderful esp since its a full body workout to give a massage, but they are not expected nor required. I've gotten everywhere from no tips to $40 tips with 10/20 being the "common" amount. I worked with a few acupuncturists over that time and most were rarely tipped. I agree that it falls under the medical category and not something to tip unless you really love them/want to. And in general I'm pretty big on tipping.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10

User Tag List