Tired of walking, does it really work anyway? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2010, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been walking and walking. I do get a few ctx here and there while walking, but it never sustains and on the days that I walk the most I end up with sore feet, achy knees, painful hips, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I walked and walked with my first after my water broke and it never helped, ended up with pit.

With my second walking seemed to help move early labor to active labor, but really someone tell me will walking actually bring on labor?? I have to decide, walk or rest.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 02:28 AM

How has it worked for the last 9 months?

Seriously, I do not believe that walking will bring on labor. It may look like that sometimes, but I believe it's just coincidence and your body was headed in that direction already. Personally, I would rest.

Kelly - Labor & Delivery RN, IBCLC, Wife of 22 years, Mom to 4
Proud Surrogate Mommy

Old 09-19-2010, 03:42 AM

maybe .
I walked around the mall for 2 hrs earlier today and now I'm pretty much in labor.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:43 AM

Rest..

Walk a little *during* labor
Old 09-19-2010, 04:17 AM

Rest. When it's really labor, then walk. Otherwise, conserve energy. I went into labor with ds totally depleted and it didn't turn out good. No reason to completely exhaust yourself before running a marathon, kwim?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Old 09-19-2010, 06:48 AM

Heather,
I feel the same way. Everyone says to walk, but I don't feel like it is doing much. I think that it doesn't really do anything immediate, but the pressure of the baby's head on the cervix probably DOES do SOMETHING to help move things along, altho not has quickly as we would hope. I never get hardly any contractions while walking either.

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 AM

According to my midwife, walking helps baby to get into position. But it wont work unless its time for baby to get into position.

The swinging motion of your hips (uh... I waddle so I don't know if I HAVE a swinging motion lol) allows for baby to move and twist easier.

Same reason we do circles or rock on the birth ball.

So yeah, it really wont put you into labor... but if you do not do so much that it hurts, it doesn't hurt. If its time to go into labor, it may help speed things along. It also helps to keep your mind off.

I would definitely not overdo it though, as Ami said, dont wear yourself out when training for a marathon. But waddling around the mall for a little while window shopping? All good.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:57 AM

Harumph. I am too tired to walk. It's not painful or difficult to walk after my chiro visit, but it takes a lot of effort and wears me out. I don't want to.

But I feel guilty because I feel like I *should* be walking, or sitting on the birth ball, or something. Like maybe I'm hampering labor or my (still very high) baby's descent.

I've decided I don't care. It's more important that I have energy for when this baby decides to come. If I feel like lying down on the floor right now because I'm so tired, it doesn't make good sense to use what little energy I have to walk.

I think.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

User Tag List