Signs your labor was near - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-19-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I know that up until about 32 hours ago, I was obsessively scanning posts for clues about the immediate prelabor symptoms. So I will give my details here so that those of you still pg can obsess and get hopeful, too.

2 weeks before birth:
night contractions
night shakiness

2 days before birth:
baby dropped
Round ligament pain restarted and was horrible
Had to pee constantly. In retrospect, I was peeing with every "warm-up" contraction.
Super-energetic.

1 day before birth:
Very shaky.
Energetic.
Contractions that made me really have to pee.
Felt like baby was falling out and I kept involuntarily clenching my PC muscles.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#2 of 8 Old 09-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh thank you for this... cannot wait to see more and to edit this post with my own signs!!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 8 Old 09-19-2010, 02:32 PM

I didn't really have any signs. With my ds I was starting to get that I'm done feeling towards the end even though I went over with my dd. This time I wasn't expecting it at all. My bag wasn't even packed.The night before hours before labor started she dropped all the way down her head was right there against the cervix and she moved from the ROT position to more centered. I thought she as low before but she dropped as low as you can go.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#4 of 8 Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 PM

My "prodromal" labor became more regular and didn't stop with the half glass of wine, resting, etc. Contractions were regularly about 7 minutes apart and lasting for 40mins all day the day before and slowly moved closer to 5 minutes apart, but they did not increase in intensity.

I had a big nesting urge 2 days before, a freak out, "gotta get it done" but this was immediately followed by a "forget it, this baby is never coming, so lets watch a movie" sort of evening the actual night before labor. This happened with my last two as well, the freak out, followed by the chilling out, followed by labor.

I was very restless and teary, much more so than I had been the week, or days before. I was also very uncomfortable due to pelvic pressure, I could NOT get into a comfortable spot for anything. At about 2pm, I had a huge emotional melt down (my labor seems to be marked with these), laid down for a nap, and woke up at 4pm with real, strong, I COULD NOT ignore them contractions, baby was born 8 hours later. Again, this happened with DS, I got all weepy, took a nap and woke up in real labor.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#5 of 8 Old 09-19-2010, 07:47 PM

Tuesday pm = lost mucus plug after mad nesting spree
Thurs Pm= became convinced I had another week but had more bh than usual and I was COLD (very weird- it was 80* in my house) I was also chilly during labor.
Friday 3am = water broke & labor was suddenly obvious

That was it ..
Posted via Mobile Device

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#6 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 AM

Those of us still waiting would really appreciate some more posts on this thread! Really we would!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#7 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 11:36 AM

With my first, all I remember is that I woke up feeling open, and had bloody show and teeny contractions. They slowly got more intense. I had the baby 12 hours after the first sign for me, but only 4 hours was realy labor.

This time, the only warning I got was a terrible mood for no reason. Woke up with a backache, had the baby an hour later.

OH - wait! There was one thing that both babies had in common. The day before each arrived, I felt WONDERFUL. Totally at peace, very happy. With #1, all my birth fears were gone and I was ready to welcome my baby. With #2, all my "hurry-up-and-wait" was gone, and I was no longer obsessing over every BH and trip to the bathroom.

But that's not very helpful... if you feel a letting go sensation, then think "OMG, is this it?" then you haven't really let go. You only notice it in hindsight.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#8 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Lost mucus plug about 8 days prior to birth.

Day before going into labor/birth whenever I had to pee it was URGENT and I literally peed my pants twice that day... not a ton of pee but enough lol. I'd get the urge to pee, and seconds later I'd lose control.

Also, big nesting urge. Lots of energy... cleaned whole house, made sure all laundry was done. But I had these bursts of energy prior as well, so....

Night before labor started, super cranky. Lower back pain while trying to sleep, radiated into my thighs. Soft bowel movements that night, but not necessarily diarrhea. First real contraction at 4:56am, more loose BM, and just one string of pink show.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page