Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   September 2010 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/541-september-2010/)
-   -   For those of you who's water broke as a start to labor... (http://www.mothering.com/forum/541-september-2010/1263796-those-you-who-s-water-broke-start-labor.html)

sattygirl99 09-20-2010 07:56 AM

Were you SURE it was your water?

I got up around 5:30 this AM, walked to the bathroom and REALLY had to pee... Got into the bathroom and suddenly had something ALL down my legs. Initally I assumed I had pee'd myself since I had to go so bad... But I didn't feel any relief like I should have had my bladder released. It was dark (light off) and I wasn't wearing anything to check and see if it was clear, smelled, etc.

So it's my due date today and I have no clue if I just pee'd myself or if my water broke... I've had a few ctrx but they're the same as they have been... like a strong BH. I do seem to have a little more moisture than usual... Like how it is in the first trimester when you move and feel soemthing that sends you running to check TP... Baby is wiggling around some still and has had hiccups this AM already... I feel crampy but I've been that way off and on for weeks so who knows...

A friend of mine who just had her third said it sounds more like water than pee, especially when I didn't get relief from the need to pee until I sat down and pee'd.

I don't know if I should call my MW or what... I'm a water breakage novice, my water was artifically broken with both of my others. DS was high and never engaged and I remember gushing. DD was lower and I remember the intital break but not gushing after that.

Do we have a confused smiley? Cuz that's me right now...

MaerynPearl 09-20-2010 08:05 AM

lay down for a bit

then get up

water will leak again, pee wont.

sattygirl99 09-20-2010 08:07 AM

sigh, that's what a friend of mine just said... my kids are up so that's not going to be easy without being climbed on and pulled on.

Such an embarassing thing to post on a board.. But I suppose there is little TMI on this board anymore...?

MaerynPearl 09-20-2010 08:21 AM

its not bad. Ive peed myself and worried it was my water too (especially when baby head + bladder = me involuntarily peeing myself a little... doesnt get rid of the need to pee but still makes me all wet!)

sattygirl99 09-20-2010 08:39 AM

It certainly wasn't a little... all down my legs and the rug in the bathroom is wet too. LOL. I've had 'little' accidents that require new undies but this was enough to soak me and the floor. Really embarrassing if its pee and not my water breaking.

As much as I would like it to be my water, I doubt it. I figure on being pregnant a bit longer LOL.

Im laying down now... being climbed on too. But its a good time to try and ice the one spot on my back that wont stop hurting lol.

teamsalem 09-20-2010 09:06 AM

I thought my water had broken a couple of weeks ago. It turned out to be pee . It has happened 2-3 more times since then. I never thought I wouldn't be able to tell, but for a day or two, I STILL WASN"T SURE it wasn't my water bag breaking.

I hope this is it for you , though. I agree with Mae, lay down and see if you have any more leaking.

sattygirl99 09-20-2010 09:17 AM

I laid down for a bit and def was wet getting up but nothing leaking or gushing.

Eh, who knows... I don't expect a baby any time today anyway... LOL.

taffywelsh 09-20-2010 09:27 AM

your midwife can test the fluid with a litmus tape. If it is amniotic fluid, the tape will turn dark blue.
You should go in and have it checked out, because you're only supposed to go 24 hours after your water breaks, then you need to be in labor!

MaerynPearl 09-20-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffywelsh View Post
you're only supposed to go 24 hours after your water breaks, then you need to be in labor!
That depends on your care provider. Mines fine with up to 48 hours since I do not have GBS as long as I do not show any signs of infection.

sattygirl99 09-20-2010 09:47 AM

Mine has had a client go 4 days with ROM before onset of labor.. As long as you don't have any signs of infection and you keep stuff out of your vagina, the risk of infection is minimal. The only thing I'm looking at is possiblity having to do antibiotics I wasn't planning on because I declined a GBS screen. Which I'm OK with... I wasn't dead set against antibiotics and prolonged SROM was one of the things I was willing to consider when it came to antibiotics.

I plan to call my MW soon anyway... since we chose not to do a GBS screen, we do need to know whether it was fluid or I pee'd myself, lol. Just so we know if we need to start antibiotics in 12 hours or what.

sattygirl99 09-20-2010 10:25 AM

Call has been made and I'm supposed to put on a pad and just wait... LOL. She said that antibiotics aren't completely necessary even with a prolonged ROM but we can start them later tonight if we're sure it was my water by then.

I feel like an idiot for having to call... But I really don't know. Not every person gushes... Of course, I should have turned on the light and looked... And maybe smelled the carpet but I didn't think about it being my water until after the fact.

Oh well.. Off to go about the day. Will tell myself is probably nothing... It probably is. lol.

Galatea 09-20-2010 10:29 AM

Mine made an obvious glug gurgle sound this time, but with dd, there was no sound or feeling, just tiny bits of fluid with every contraction.

Baby~Braatens~Mama 09-20-2010 01:28 PM

Mine sounded like a gallon of water had been turned over inside me, and the waters literally flooded out! When I stood up it slowed down to a little trickle, but every once in a while it would really poor out again! I went to the hospital wearing a sundress, and that was all. I couldn't talk myself into putting on unders when I knew they would get soaked and wet... I will never forget scooting my feet down the hall on a towel. I was so very embarrased and hated making a mess! if only I had known how messy pushing would get for me!

sattygirl99 09-20-2010 02:19 PM

Well, it was def my water. Pad was damp with in a hour or so and then I just went to the bathroom now and it was pretty heavy wet. It's clear.

Contractions started about noon... nothing overly intense yet... Eating lunch and waiting it out... My mom is more nervous than I am... She says I'm too calm and wants to know how I can be so calm. LOL. Waiting for a pattern before I call the MW again to let her know that I'm now having contractions. When I talked to her (at noon) I wasn't paying attention and realizing 'duh I AM having contractions'...