mucus plug? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you dilate without losing your mucus plug?

I've been having hard, painful at time BH as well as crampy, menstrual like contractions but no bloody show or mucus plug. Is anything happening in there?

Jackie, wife to the Hubster, homeschooling mom to 4 girls: Lala (9) , Lissie (7) and Lauren (3) and our newest arrival Addie Jane born 10-1-10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 AM

yes you can

however cant tell you if anythings happening

ive had strong regular contractions for 3 weeks and my cervix is still high, long, posterior and closed.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

I am inept at checking myself so I've given up there. My doc. hasn't checked me since 35 weeks but I have a checkup tomorrow. I'm nervous to have her check me because what if I'm still high and closed?! I would probably demand an epidural and pit right then and there. This is starting to wear me out (as I'm sure you understand Mae!)

Every morning I wake up with a few crampy feelings then I start moving and they stop. They are horrible cramps, like my period would be starting any second, so I hope they count for something. I'm taking 5W but nothing else. Hubby is all about DTD whenever I'm not too exhausted to bother. I walk occationally but not enough probably. Does anything really work anyway??

My girls are so excited to meet their new sister and I don't want to give them a horrible memory of me at the end of a pregnancy so I'm trying to not be overly miserable but UGH. Any time now would be great, baby.

Jackie, wife to the Hubster, homeschooling mom to 4 girls: Lala (9) , Lissie (7) and Lauren (3) and our newest arrival Addie Jane born 10-1-10!
#4 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjtc View Post
Does anything really work anyway??
Nothing Ive found. Trust me if it did I would be holding my daughter right now!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 AM

I asked my midwife the same question, and she said yes, and went on to say that some women don't notice when the lose it. Not sure if that means they lost it and didn't notice, or that it's still there...

Anyway, to my knowledge, I haven't lost mine, and I am about 1 cm dilated, but only according to a self-check. I'm not great at checking either, but I'm pretty sure the last time I could tell at least one, maybe even 2 fingers could fit (but I could only barely reach with one).

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#6 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 10:29 AM

yes, I was 1CM at my last visit and haven't seen MP but 2 smalls (and I mean small) bits 2 days after the check.

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#7 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 AM

Yes, I've heard of the plug coming out stuck to the baby's head. So, you can dilate all the way, and it really, truly, not come out.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#8 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Yeah, I never saw my mucus plug with DS1. Water breaking was my first sign of labor and it wasn't there.

Bilingual mama to DS J 6/4/06 and new DS C 9/27/10  homebirth.jpg
#9 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Yeah, I had a few small, tiny streaks of mucus here and there, and then went in yesterday, and MW wanted to do an exam because we are so late, and it turns out I'm 4 and very stretchy to 5 cm. So yes, it is possible
#10 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know, ladies! Thank you!

I'm having some pretty painful contractions that are starting to wrap around my back so hopefully the lack of a mucus plug doesn't mean this is all for nothing.

#11 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 PM

Yes, I was at a 4 when midwife checked me during labor and I had yet to ever find my mucus plug. I never had any bleeding during labor either as far as I remember.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page