Cloth Diapering: What's Working, What's Not - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wanted a place where we could share tips and stuff now that the LOs and their fluffy bums are here!

For me, a CD noob, it's been an easy adjustment! I wish I had more covers, but other than that we're doing well.

DAYTIME: Prefold (jellyroll fold w/ Snappi) and Thirsties Duo 1s covers. I actually have made it a whole day with one cover, i.e. no leaks!

NIGHTTIME: Prefold (angel wing fold w/ Snappi) + bamboo insert as doubler; fleece soaker. I'm getting lots of wicking, though...he seems to be a pretty heavy wetter AND doesn't wake a ton.

What's your routine look like now that baby is here??

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#2 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liking prefolds (have XS sustainablebabyish bamboo PFs), Kissaluvs size 0, and XS Thirsties covers. These are all leakproof. Everything else is still too big around the legs.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#3 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Liking prefolds (have XS sustainablebabyish bamboo PFs), Kissaluvs size 0, and XS Thirsties covers. These are all leakproof. Everything else is still too big around the legs.
Yep, Lila has lost down to 8lb 6oz but she's still kinda scrawny! We're having good luck with size 0 kissaluvs and xs thirsties covers too. I've got a few newborn prowraps covers that I've used with prefolds (jelly roll fold no snappi), but none of the one size diapers fit her yet.

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#4 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 07:03 PM

We're only on day three and a bit past the horrible meconium. At just 6'15 at birth, all of my PUL covers are too big and shes swimming in newborn prefolds. Her brother was a pound and a half bigger so this is weird. Fortunately, I knit up some great NB size longies and soakers so she's all in wool covers at this point. I'm thinking next week she should fit in the PUL covers a bit and I'm excited to try out the new thirsties duo's

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#5 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 PM

I haven't loved the prefolds. They're okay, but more work than a pocket and they just get so SOAKED. I didn't have any leaks in them, but we had 18 fuzzibunz one size dipes and just bought 6 more, so I think we're pretty much going to use them full time. I love them, DH thinks they're plenty easy (and probably wouldn't touch a prefold), and they seem to fit her well. We've actually gone up on the leg size from when we first started them and haven't had any leaks except minor wicking when the lining wasn't tucked all the way in in the back.

DD is probably pushing 10 pounds by now, though, so maybe that's why they fit well? I'll get a weight on her tomorrow, but she seems to have chunky-ish thighs anyway.

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
#6 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
I'm thinking next week she should fit in the PUL covers a bit and I'm excited to try out the new thirsties duo's
T is 10-9 and still on the tightest snap (or with just one exposed) in the duos. He is long and skinny though. I commentedlast week that I couldn't imagine a 6lber in them which is what they claim!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#7 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 09:44 PM

I'm wondering if I should keep buying sposies or just get some nb prefolds and covers. my infant sizes are way too big right now, and it seems like DS2 is built like DS1 - long and skinny, meaning he will be in smalls for a LONG time. So, he's probably be in NB for a while too... I really should just get them, since we're going through sposies like crazy.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#8 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 10:10 PM

Well, my first baby was in NB sizes for three months... this one? Three weeks. Literally. He's such a chunker!

So I'm breaking out the yellow edge prefolds, size S covers and fitteds. I've been having him in prefolds during the day, and fitteds at night. He is a heavy wetter and a good sleeper so he still completely soaks them, but at least it's better than the prefolds.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#9 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 12:39 AM

Cheapo Gerber flats in a Bummis superbrite cover size NB/XS most of the time. I have some prefolds I got as hand-me-downs, not sure of the exact size but they are too big and bulky so not using them yet.

I have 3 BG AIO size NB/XS that work pretty well but I have to rinse off all the poop from the diaper otherwise it doesn't all come out in the washer.

I have one Thirsties fitted and Thirsties cover both in XS that I am pretty happy with as well. The Thirsties cover is still a bit big with the flats but is just now working with the fitted.

I have two Lil Joeys and I am so disappointed with them. They are so bulky and take so long to dry and worst of all they have leaked every time I've used them. I am so glad I only bought two. Man, they were expensive, too. I got them on sale for $25 for the two plus tax.

DS is probably pushing 10 pounds now but seems pretty long and skinny

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#10 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 12:56 AM

6 week fluffy baby and we are still loving 0 Kissaluvs, xs thirsties, and prowraps, though we are nearing the end. I wanted to try others but kissaluvs are by far my fav for newborns. I have always used fuzzibunz after NB faze, not sure what's next this time...

Likes a little crunch with occasional sogginess~Misty,Mama to L1, L2, L3, L4,L5 and Loving J!
#11 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 01:29 AM

We're using GMD nb prefolds - we only have 18, and I can see I'm going to be washing a load every night at this rate. But DS is 8lbs and can wear our yellow edge pf's in a pinch. We're using NB litewraps and I have one NB bummis super snap that I love for until the cord falls off. Once he gets a little larger we'll switch to my small Bummis super whisper wraps. Also, I've made several wool soakers and longies that I love!

Anyone have any experience with Flip diapers? We only used PFs for DD, but I've heard good things about Flip dipes, so I might be persuaded to upgrade someday... though we already have everything we need for this babe, so I might just stick with what we know to save money.

Me (27) and : DH (29), DD 12/08, DS 9/10, and #3 due 04/13!! Knitting, gardening/preserving, sewing, doulaing, loving God & others. Dreaming of my future farm...
#12 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theypswife View Post
Anyone have any experience with Flip diapers? We only used PFs for DD, but I've heard good things about Flip dipes, so I might be persuaded to upgrade someday... though we already have everything we need for this babe, so I might just stick with what we know to save money.
I do not have the whole Flip system, but I bought 3 covers on recommendation from a friend to use with prefolds. We have broken one out in a pinch, and it's a bit big still, but they are SOOO nice! My friend did caution that she's not a fan of the fit on her 2yo, but she likes them for her babe.

#13 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theypswife View Post

I don't like them. The inserts bunch up and the leg openings are really big.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#14 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
Well, my first baby was in NB sizes for three months... this one? Three weeks. Literally. He's such a chunker!
Had to laugh at this. The hospital gave us some Huggies newborn size. We put one on our Andrew and it nearly cut off his circulation! Had to change him into a size 1...stat! Ha.

We are using Bummis pre-folds. My DH doesn't understand why he needs a cover on those and I'm like "because you're not the one getting peed on every night when you leave it off!" Of course, with my milk shooting everywhere in the night, what's the diff, eh?

I am using Thirsties XS covers. I have two and haven't had to wash one yet. I had to look up the folds y'all ere talking about. The one I do is kind of a combo of angel wing and jellyroll, but I guess it's officially nothing...

We are also using Rumpsters all-in-one diapers. I have about 12 of those in size S. Not sure they make them anymore? My sister used to have a baby supply company and they were left in her inventory. They are very nice though! I have on size S fuzzibunz that I absolutely love. I am going to order more of them asap. My bumgenius one size are too big right now.

Mary, proud to be a mama to Andrew (9/14/10) and Caroline (7/27/13) and wife to Matt.
#15 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 06:55 PM

I love, love, love cloth diapers! We've been using them since Day 4, when the meconium had passed. I'm so glad that Kelly, Galatea, and the rest of you pros were so informative and helpful when I was first putting together my stash...

We're using GMD prefolds and Thirsties Duo Wraps Size 1 during the day, then putting a Thirsties fitted S (or XS...I don't remember!) under the cover at night. We have 48 of the infant prefolds and now have about 12 or 14 of the Duo Wraps. We decided we needed more covers after she was getting poo on the covers in the beginning, and since we have to use the laundry facilities in the basement of our building, the extra prefolds and covers have been lifesavers!

They've contained blowouts pretty well...except for today's, of course, which happened in the doctor's waiting room...Oh well. Overall, they are fabulous and I love how adorable they make her butt look!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#16 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 09:15 PM

We're just starting with cloth today off and on... still have a bunch of sposies from the hospital and taking advantage of them this week to save on laundry. We've got some orange GMD prefolds and workhorse (as well as yellow) and they fit her great right now at 7.5 lbs.

Anyone using a wipes warmer for cloth wipes? DS never seemed to mind cold wipes but DD is really hating them, so I want to get a wipes warmer for her. Want to make sure that it's good for cloth wipes as well as disposables. Do they have good ones at Target?

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .
#17 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 10:24 PM

nak

Started today, the orange GMDs fit nicely. However, I have no covers. The NB pull ons have way too big thigh holes. And the thirsties wraps, size sm, gape.

must say tho all my training with Stephen came in handy. no bf poop escaped my prefolds.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#18 of 25 Old 09-30-2010, 11:31 PM

We're just using what we used for our first two boys since everything is still in great shape. (Looks brand new, actually!) Chinese prefolds with Snappis and an assortment of covers. Bummis are still my favorite. I have several wool covers, but am tired of the special treatment they need and if they get ruined at this point I am just setting them aside. My Bumpy wool covers have held up great even with accidental trips through the washer so I would recommend those if you like wool. DS3 (funny to say that!) is a heavy wetter so I will probably have to use wool here soon at night. I may even need to use a doubler on him, although I don't have any tiny ones. He does fit into small Bummis covers already, at 8 1/2lbs, which I don't remember my other two doing until they were older.
#19 of 25 Old 10-01-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunch View Post
T is 10-9 and still on the tightest snap (or with just one exposed) in the duos. He is long and skinny though. I commentedlast week that I couldn't imagine a 6lber in them which is what they claim!
Oh yeah I should have clarified. The duo is like half the size of her body. lol It will NOT fit next week. The bummis super brites should start to fit soon.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#20 of 25 Old 10-01-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambyrkatt View Post
Anyone using a wipes warmer for cloth wipes? DS never seemed to mind cold wipes but DD is really hating them, so I want to get a wipes warmer for her. Want to make sure that it's good for cloth wipes as well as disposables. Do they have good ones at Target?
I use a pump thermos: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001

And just put hot water in it (plain water is what I use, especially for a girl baby, some people do a wipe solution). I put fresh in it every morning, it stays hot/warm for 24 hours. Then squirt it on the wipes as I need them. Sometimes when I first put the water in, I have to wait a second for the wipe to cool down a bit. But it works really well, and there's no wipes just sitting in water which I dont like.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#21 of 25 Old 10-01-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
nak

Started today, the orange GMDs fit nicely. However, I have no covers. The NB pull ons have way too big thigh holes. And the thirsties wraps, size sm, gape.

must say tho all my training with Stephen came in handy. no bf poop escaped my prefolds.

Ami
For the orange GMDs, I used size XS Thirsties. You're right, the S size would be too big.

I have switched up to size S now that Ozzy is in yellow GMDs.

#22 of 25 Old 10-01-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
I use a pump thermos: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001

And just put hot water in it (plain water is what I use, especially for a girl baby, some people do a wipe solution). I put fresh in it every morning, it stays hot/warm for 24 hours. Then squirt it on the wipes as I need them. Sometimes when I first put the water in, I have to wait a second for the wipe to cool down a bit. But it works really well, and there's no wipes just sitting in water which I dont like.
Genius!!!!

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#23 of 25 Old 10-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Haha, I actually got that tip from the diapering forum here on MDC when I was pregnant with my first baby... I love it.

#24 of 25 Old 10-01-2010, 05:31 PM

The thermos idea looks great! Heading to Target in a few to see if I can get one. Thanks!

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .
#25 of 25 Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 PM

I've cloth diapered once. We have one newborn Swaddlebee's fitted w/a DD was 7lbs 4oz, over a pound and a half smaller than her brother and sister. They never used newborn anything and outgrew 0 to 3 by 2 to 3 weeks. DD will be four weeks on Saturday and is just now in 0 to 3 clothes and is still too small for the infant prefolds or mama made small fitteds to fit, like at all. I decided to just wait it out and use 'sposies in the mean time. I'm regretting that now, as she hasn't gained nearly as quickly as her older sibs. It would have been worth it for a month, I've spent $60 on disposables!!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page