how's belly binding going? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2010, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been doing it (with the ITA med 12") since day three, day and night, and I have to say--I'm impressed! This is the fastest my body has gone back to a semi-normal shape, and by day 5 I even had a belly button back. I'm not sure if it's related, but I'm also only 7 pounds above my pre-preg weight....THAT's never happened this fast before (dd will be two weeks old tomorrow)! I keep going up to dh, lifting up my shirt (when the band is off), and saying "Look at this!!!"

I've also noticed, when I do take the band off, my afterpains increase in strength. Some of the claims I read said that it helps reduce pain and cramping, and that's definitely been true in my case. When I wear it, I don't notice much in the way of cramping at all.

oh...and my abdominal muscle separation is better than it has been in years! When I flex (lying down), they're only about 1.5-2 inches apart. While standing I can't feel any separation. I don't think they've been that close together since before my first kids!

On the down side, I'm getting sick of how the band bunches up during the day. And I don't like the roll of flub it creates between it and my bra strap. So far it's been much more comfortable to wear it at night, but I'm going to stick with it for at least two more weeks during the day. The results are worth it.

Anyone else wearing their band pretty regularly or all the time? How's it going?

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 12:05 AM

DDCC. I'm so excited to hear about binding. I'm having my 5th in February and I just learned about it so I'm SUPER excited, lol (probably a little too much). If you don't mine, which one is the ITA? Thanks! Can't wait to keep reading your updates

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
Old 09-30-2010, 12:10 AM

Another DDCC. I'd also love to know more about the brand you're using. I'm expecting baby #9 in May, and I'd absolutely love it if this would really work! Thanks!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 09-30-2010, 01:46 AM

I have totally slacked off on the binding. I have the ITA 12" and despite being tall and long-waisted I find it uncomfortable. It feels like it digs in especially where it fastens around my hips and also I'm so hot and sweaty already it just makes me feel worse. What I dislike the most is I can't put it on myself (well I can but can't get it tight) so I have to make sure DH is around to help. And when I take it off I am afraid the velcro will wake up the kids! Under clothes my tummy looks great when I'm wearing it, though.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

Old 09-30-2010, 09:39 AM

I bought the Belly Bandit, wore it twice, and gave up on it -- I found it uncomfortable on my c-section scar and kind of a hassle to wear. I'm still (6.4 weeks postpartum) almost 20 lbs. over my pre-pregnancy weight, but have been able to wear my regular jeans for a couple of weeks already. For me, regular activity and lactating like crazy seems to do the job.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:42 AM

I had a hospital band from my c/s that I broke out after this baby as well. I needed the compression as everything was just floating around in there, and it was SO uncomfortable! The band definitely gave support and helped with the crampiness. I think I wore it for most of the first week? I definitely still have a bulge and flabbiness, but I'll take it--I was 7lbs over my 6w appointment weight at a week pp. I still cannot wear my pre-pg pants for the most part, but I know that will come.

tribord--I definitely liked the smoother line it gave under clothes!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 09-30-2010, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I wore mine for a week but got sick of it. I couldn't bend over b/c it would slide up and I'd have to adjust it. Very annoying. Also it was hot.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 09-30-2010, 01:02 PM

I didn't have a chance to buy a binder (my little guy came 2 wks early, totally not what I expected) so I improvised with an ace bandage. I started 3 days pp and it felt great when I wore it standing up. Improved my posture and made me feel thinner, but it rolled up and got all wonky whenever I sat down. I only wore it for about a week, for a few hours here and there so I can't say whether or not it actually helped, but my tummy is going down faster than it has with my other pregnancies. Can't say whether it's due to the binding or just luck this time around.

If I ever have another baby I will buy a real binder.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
Old 09-30-2010, 01:57 PM

I have the ITA 12" model as well and I like it. I am 5'8 and it gives great coverage. I wore it constantly for the first 4-5 days, and now I'm wearing it on and off. I had it overnighted to me right after I delivered because my middle felt like jelly and like I needed support badly. My lack of tone in my belly/lower back made me feel like I couldn't stand up for very long. The binder has helped a lot with that. I'm 8 days postpartum, 9 lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight and my diastasis is only 1 finger (which I'm pretty sure is a lot better than with DD). I'm feeling better the last couple of days and I keep forgetting to put it on, but I'm going to stick with wearing it most of the day for a bit longer b/c I think it is helping the recovery process.

Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

Old 09-30-2010, 02:49 PM

I'm going to start wearing at night. I wore my 12" for a few days, but went nuts with the shifting and bunching. I'd rather be flabby than uncomfortable. But at night, I feel floppy and would not have the riding-up issues. Why did I not think of that before?

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DDCC - I'm new to this... is this what you're talking about? I thought about getting one but I don't know which one to get. Does the 12" fit most people or would shorter people need one that is shorter?

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 09-30-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
DDCC - I'm new to this... is this what you're talking about? I thought about getting one but I don't know which one to get. Does the 12" fit most people or would shorter people need one that is shorter?
Surgical abdominal binders come in 9 and 12 inches.

nak

I love my ITA 12 inch! Started wearing it about 12 hours after birth and having been wearing it on and off during the day. My belly went down faster and it helped a lot with my back pain (from weak abs) and afterpains. I am wearing right now and today is day 10. I imagine I won't have any need for it in a few days, but it still feels good to me now. I am glad I got it, I just feel much more stability in my core then I did after my second baby and I feel like my abdominal muscles are recovering more quickly.

I have not had any bunching, but I wear it a big low and have to take it off every time I go to the bathroom. I am 5'8" and I am still mostly resting in bed because of my tear and hemmys, so perhaps that is why it doesn't bother me. I wear a nursing tank and put it over the cotton tank.

I got my ITA on amazon for DDDC

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:24 PM

Do you think a shorter mama(5'2") would like the longer length one? Wondering if that would help with the bunching up and rolling.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 09-30-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post
Do you think a shorter mama(5'2") would like the longer length one? Wondering if that would help with the bunching up and rolling.
Wondering that here too (5'3"). Also, how do you know which size to get? Small says up to 34 inches, medium says up to 38. I think I should get medium but... where do you measure?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:16 PM

I have this, and based on the comments I ordered a medium. I was a size 16 pre-pregnancy, and I just measured myself - waist 43, hips 52. The medium is plenty big. The sizing is different for my binder, but if in doubt go smaller. They are really elastic and you want them to be tight.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:33 PM

nak

here is the link from a prior thread

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=binder

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 PM

I haven't been using a surgical binder or ace bandage...but I did go out and buy a few pairs of super-control top panties and have been wearing them religiously day and night.

I feel it's made a HUGE difference in my recovery. I feel thinner (which is nice). I don't have that 'hollow' feeling that I usually have after birth. I have better posture. The undies have a comfort fit band, so they don't roll or bunch. I had a 9lb baby, but have lost 30lbs since birth 10 days ago. My stomach looks amazing!!! I've never had such a flat belly after birth! Usually at this point I still look 5 months pregnant but my stomach is shrinking by the second.

I really attribute this to the fancy-schmancy undies and wish I'd done that with my older three children. I just bought the Walmart brand control top...the kind that go to just under the breasts.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:39 PM

I am trying binding this time, too, as I have really flabby abdominal muscles after I give birth and this is my last baby. I bought a Baboosh binder and tried wearing it about 24 hours after I had my baby, but was way too uncomfortable to keep it on (stitches, hemorrhoids, engorged breasts, etc.), plus I had to use the toilet every hour and it was too hard to take on and off. I started wearing it again at day 10 and think I can manage it now. After just a couple of days I can see that I am tightening it more when I put it on. I bought a size large, using their guidelines posted online. I was a size 4 when I got pregnant, but gained 52lbs.

My complaints with it are: I got a lace one (don't know what I was thinking) and it isn't smooth under my clothes. Also, the seam is very visible under my clothes, and it is HOT. I will probably have to wash it a lot because of how sweaty I get with it on.

I have to roll it up to get my underwear down, but not take it off at this point. I am going to wear it day and night and the company recommends 40 days. If I think of it I will update towards the end to let everyone know the results. I do like the support it gives- today was our first day out of the house and I felt like it helped with my back and supporting my tummy when I was lifting the car seat and heavy diaper bag.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Chick View Post
I have this, and based on the comments I ordered a medium. I was a size 16 pre-pregnancy, and I just measured myself - waist 43, hips 52. The medium is plenty big. The sizing is different for my binder, but if in doubt go smaller. They are really elastic and you want them to be tight.
Whoa. I can't find our measuring tape right now but I "was" (prepregnancy) about a 26 inch waist, 36 inch hips and 123 lbs. I doubt I'll ever get near that again. Should I just forget medium and get a small?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia View Post
I haven't been using a surgical binder or ace bandage...but I did go out and buy a few pairs of super-control top panties and have been wearing them religiously day and night.

I feel it's made a HUGE difference in my recovery. I feel thinner (which is nice). I don't have that 'hollow' feeling that I usually have after birth. I have better posture. The undies have a comfort fit band, so they don't roll or bunch. I had a 9lb baby, but have lost 30lbs since birth 10 days ago. My stomach looks amazing!!! I've never had such a flat belly after birth! Usually at this point I still look 5 months pregnant but my stomach is shrinking by the second.

I really attribute this to the fancy-schmancy undies and wish I'd done that with my older three children. I just bought the Walmart brand control top...the kind that go to just under the breasts.
This is interesting. I've been wondering if spanx or similar stuff would work as well as the binder...certainly you can buy spanx that are as tight as I'm wearing the binder! I also think it would be nice to have that support in the area just above my pubic area. The abdominal binder is great in the waist and in front, but it tends to squish some of my belly out the bottom....and spanx wouldn't do that.

Hmmmm....may have to try it.....

Old 10-01-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
Whoa. I can't find our measuring tape right now but I "was" (prepregnancy) about a 26 inch waist, 36 inch hips and 123 lbs. I doubt I'll ever get near that again. Should I just forget medium and get a small?
Oh, you are tiny! The ITA looks like is made of different stuff than the one I have, so it might not stretch as much... are there reviews?

I also have a cheap support panty from Target that is pretty good - I like that it smooths and supports the entire area. I actually like it more than the binder - easier to wear, better under clothing.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:01 PM

My midwife had me sew together two 6in ace bandages and I fold it in half so it's still about 12in wide and double thick. You can make it as tight as you need and it's really comfortable. I'm a week pp now, and my body is coming back together much faster this time than it did with my first. I also feel totally nauseated and crampy when I take it off.

The only problem is that the little teeth things that you use to hold ace bandages together went out about 4 days pp. I had my husband go out and buy me a real binder and only wore it for a day because it was so uncomfortable. Then I remembered that I have a snap press, so I fixed up my ace bandage with snaps, and when I need it to be smaller I can just add another row of snaps!

Oh yeah, and I've been wearing it since about an hour pp - the midwives helped me put it on before they left.

I cannot say enough good things about belly binding!

Mama to Lulan 8/07, and Amelia Pearl 9/10
Old 10-04-2010, 05:00 PM

I bought a Belly Bandit and have been wearing it during the day. So far I've liked it a lot. It feels good to have everything compressed instead of flopping around, and it definitely makes me look better under clothes. My shape seems to be returning pretty quickly--although that's not saying much. I'm about 6 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight now, ten days after birth, but I'm overweight and would need to lose about 30-40 pounds to be in a healthy weight range for my height.

I actually just bought a smaller Belly Bandit since this one is now almost too big. I'm looking forward to the added compression.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 PM

how about a corset? I wish I had one just for the support!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

I tried wearing control top undies for two days (the ones that go from the thigh all the way up below the bra) and it didn't work as well...When I went back to the belly binder, my size had increased slightly. Pretty sure it's not weight, since I lost weight during those two days (only two pounds, but still...). I liked the slimmer silhouette, but obviously it wasn't constricting my ribs and muscles firmly enough.

Back to the belly binder.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:19 PM

I also used a Belly Bandit (just stopped a week ago actually). Greatest investment I could have made, I look better now than I did before i delivered and I think its because of that product. My girlfriend tried ace bandages but they were too loose and didn't compress. She is 3 weeks pp and is buying the Belly Bandit because of how i look! I need a great cream for stretch marks though, anyone know of a good brand?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I just can't do it. I bought a different binder and it drove me nuts, poking me in the ribs. I then bought the up to the boob panties and wanted to pull my skin off. I just cannot get comfortable in any of them so I guess I will wait for my stomach to flatten itself naturally.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 10-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
I just can't do it. I bought a different binder and it drove me nuts, poking me in the ribs. I then bought the up to the boob panties and wanted to pull my skin off. I just cannot get comfortable in any of them so I guess I will wait for my stomach to flatten itself naturally.
I gave up because it made the pp gas soooooo uncomfortable that I was in pain! I keep thinking I should try again...

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 10-05-2010, 05:09 PM

I am going to try binding at night. I can't move well enough to deal with all the up and down I do during the day. The binder and the shrinx hips keeps getting all messed up. And it hurts. So, maybe I can do it when I'm lying down? I dunno. I wish I would have thought of it before because I was down a lot there for a few days (mastitis).

Oddly enough, for how stretched out everything is, it's going back quickly without much help! Phew!

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 10-07-2010, 05:40 AM

DDCC from the October DDC! Belly binding is AWESOME! I had my hubby buy me a binder from Babies R Us right after our 2nd was born and wore it day and night. I had a 2 week follow up with my MW and was in my pre pregnancy jeans. She walked in the room and said "Look at YOU! You're skinny!" Later that day I went to visit my hubby at work and a woman came up to me to comment on how cute the baby was and she said "..He isn't yours, is he? You couldn't of just had a baby!" I'm not trying to brag, I just want to tell you that it DOES make you feel great because it helps you get back into your old clothes faster (goodBYE maternity jeans!!). It truly does help smush everything down and just the fact that it makes you *feel* skinnier is wonderful. And I agree with other posters that it helps your posture. It can be uncomfortable if you slouch so it keeps you erect. It also makes you tighten up your muscles without even realizing it!

I bought a Belly Bandit this time since I've read rave reviews on them all over the internet! I'm going to use my Babies R Us brand right after birth and then the BB when I shrink down and need a smaller one. I've read that the BB is more discreet under clothes than some other brands so that's another reason I went with that one...

My best friend got the "Baby Baboosh" one by Brooke Burke and didn't like it much. She felt like it didn't come up high enough on her torso and it bulged under her clothes.. Just throwing that out there for anyone looking for brands!

Happy binding!!

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

User Tag List