"Evening Colic" Anyone? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 10-22-2010, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh me too! My little guy is 5.5 wks and he starts being fussy around 6 but it peaks from 7-9. If I'm lucky he'll fall asleep for short 5 min naps here and there in between all of the crying, rocking, bouncing, feeding, etc.... but then at about 9-9:15 he conks out for the night (on me, on the couch). I'll fall asleep with him there until about midnight or 1 while bf is playing video games. When bf is ready for bed he'll change baby's diaper and then we'll all move to the bedroom.

I remember thinking that my last baby was starving (ie I thought I wasn't producing enough milk) when she was 5 wks but in retrospect maybe she had the evening colic thing too.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#32 of 56 Old 10-23-2010, 10:23 AM

IMO, putting them to bed earlier in this age group means decreasing the stimulation, having them in a dark room, or with just dim lights, and working to soothe them into a calm sleep. With DS1, we would just keep him downstairs and try to get him to stop crying, to no avail, during the witching hour. With DS2, it's remarkable. All he does is scream with DH if he has him from 7-9. With me, he settles down. I take him into the room where he will be sleeping, lights off, and bounce him on the exercise ball until he falls asleep. If I wait until the deep sleep (after the REM), then I can put him down, and he stays down.

That said, yesterday he slept practically the entire day. I tried waking him at 5 to change his diaper and get him up for a bit so he'd sleep, but all he did was cry and look tired, so I let him go back to sleep. Then, we had our "witching hour" from about 10-12. That was no fun!

On the other hand, yesterday I had some peanut butter, which I hadn't had in about a week. A friend of mine whose LO had sensitivity to dairy and soy (which I've eliminated) also had sensitivity to nuts, so I think I'm going to eliminate nuts from my diet to see if he goes back to those calm evenings!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#33 of 56 Old 10-23-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcelina View Post
IMO, putting them to bed earlier in this age group means decreasing the stimulation, having them in a dark room, or with just dim lights, and working to soothe them into a calm sleep.
Yep. It's a good time to begin building your bedtime routine. Around 7:00 turn down lights, give a bath, a massage, put on the nighttime diaper and pjs, etc. Then swaddle, turn off lights and nurse to sleep in mommy's bed (at least that's how we do it here in my house ). That usually ends up with baby asleep between 7:30 and 8.

When daylight savings time hits I will begin at 6:00 and every night or two I will move it later by 15 minutes or so (per NCSS). 15 minute increments at a time are imperceptible to baby, apparently.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#34 of 56 Old 10-23-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
A friend of mine whose LO had sensitivity to dairy and soy (which I've eliminated) also had sensitivity to nuts, so I think I'm going to eliminate nuts from my diet to see if he goes back to those calm evenings!
Peanuts are not nuts. They are legumes, like soy beans and peas. If you think LO's allergic to peanuts you would also want to consider eliminating those things.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#35 of 56 Old 10-23-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post
Peanuts are not nuts. They are legumes, like soy beans and peas. If you think LO's allergic to peanuts you would also want to consider eliminating those things.
Thank you for this!! In fact, he reacted after I ate beans in his 2nd or 3rd week, so that is totally consistent. I will look up what else to stay away from! In fact, he had green mucusy poo and I was wondering what it could besince I'm dairy/soy free (though the other day I realized there was some soybean oil in a store bought hummos I had eaten -- stuff is hidden everywhere!).

#36 of 56 Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 PM

No problem! Here's a good resource to find related foods/food families.
http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Article.../botanical.htm

#37 of 56 Old 10-25-2010, 04:56 PM

We found a pretty good way to make evening colic go away with our baby. NOTE: I'm sure this is not going to work with everyone, each baby is different, but just in case...

Dr. Sears in one of his articles recommended a few things that we do all at once:
- dim the lights
- white noise - I hold Santi and take him to the kitchen and turn on the kitchen fan
- do the evening colic dance - it's a one-two-bounce step... "and a one and a two and a one and a two," kicking out the heel of your foot when you come up from the bounce
- shushing over baby's head - something about the shush and the air breathed unto the top of the head, calms him down

When we do these four things together, he's usually out withing 5-10 minutes. You do have to put up with some of the loudest screaming ever, some pounding, pushing away, etc. But that goes away after about 5 minutes. Patience is key.

I keep it up until he's been asleep for a full five minutes. Meanwhile my wife uses this time to get ready for bed. I'll bring him to her in bed and sometimes he wakes up, calmly, to nurse, and sometimes he just keeps sleeping.

Of course, if evening colic comes back, and sometimes it does, start all over again. But for some reason this formula works for us.

Christian, father of Santiago (HB 9/6/10) and loving husband to Wendy.
#38 of 56 Old 10-26-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangopaco View Post
We found a pretty good way to make evening colic go away with our baby. NOTE: I'm sure this is not going to work with everyone, each baby is different, but just in case...

Dr. Sears in one of his articles recommended a few things that we do all at once:
- dim the lights
- white noise - I hold Santi and take him to the kitchen and turn on the kitchen fan
- do the evening colic dance - it's a one-two-bounce step... "and a one and a two and a one and a two," kicking out the heel of your foot when you come up from the bounce
- shushing over baby's head - something about the shush and the air breathed unto the top of the head, calms him down

When we do these four things together, he's usually out withing 5-10 minutes. You do have to put up with some of the loudest screaming ever, some pounding, pushing away, etc. But that goes away after about 5 minutes. Patience is key.

I keep it up until he's been asleep for a full five minutes. Meanwhile my wife uses this time to get ready for bed. I'll bring him to her in bed and sometimes he wakes up, calmly, to nurse, and sometimes he just keeps sleeping.

Of course, if evening colic comes back, and sometimes it does, start all over again. But for some reason this formula works for us.
Thanks Christian. I so applaud you for being so active with your wife and LO! And, for reading Dr. Sears!!

What works for us is very similar -- dim/dark room, bounce on exercise ball (that's a bit lower impact than having to dance, but does kill the back after 30 mins which is what it often takes us), pacifier (if accepts), side or up on chest position, swaddle (sometimes), shushing, and sometimes, finding a position where his eyes are shaded to decrease stimulation (another option would be a nursing cover). This is a fail-proof method for us, though sometimes it can take a while, especially if he's been sleeping a long time before starting this routine. We also try to get him down by around 7, 7.30, though sometimes he has something else in mind and we end up doing this at 8 or 9.

Our problems are burps, reflux, gas and poo. Sometimes after nursing he is all worked up. Some time on the ball usually relaxes him, and burps come out. Sometimes, he gets some reflux in his mouth and chomps on it (doesn't come all the way out). He'll be almost asleep, or has just entered REM, and then his little face gets all twisted and uncomfortable, and he starts to cry. This happens several times before he can finally sleep, poor little guy! Hence, the 30+ minutes sometimes on the ball...

#39 of 56 Old 10-26-2010, 08:06 PM

"put them to bed earlier" to me meant that i put them to sleep in my bed at 8pm, instead of 9-10, when i would go to bed. i use to just let my babies fall asleep whereever i was, and then they went to bed with me. but #2 and 3 started showing clear signs of being unhappy... screaming all of the time... etc. around 8pm. so i started nursing them to sleep in my bed around 7:30-8pm, and it worked!!! they fell asleep and everyone was happy (i just couldn't be stuck out with them after 7pm... WOW!!!)

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#40 of 56 Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
It wouldn't be "evening colic" if its 11-4am right? <sigh> Our new drama is reflux. 3 hours of sleep and a non-napping toddler does not leave for a happy mama.
My DS just got diagnosed with reflux. He doesn't like the swing or bouncy seat much so I'm just holding him upright for a long time after he eats. This is a pain in the butt in the middle of the night but it seems to be helping him. It's a bummer that we can no longer just nurse lying down and then both fall asleep. I HAVE to burp him. Bummer. But there are worse things.

He is six weeks today and this is the first time he hasn't cried all evening long. He just cluster fed for a few hours then fell asleep in my Moby.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#41 of 56 Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm sorry! I went straight for the elimination diet and it turned out to be caused by soy and eggs so we're all set now. I hope you find the cause or some treatment because that screaming is miserable

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#42 of 56 Old 10-28-2010, 11:32 PM

This little girl will NOT let Daddy comfort her at all, ever. And then he gets upset and keeps asking me what to do (DD1 never cried as a baby), which I try to do for 10 minutes or so - try the paci, try swinging her on her belly, etc- which is not a break for me, so I just take her back and then she nurses another eleventy million hours while kicking her feet and acting pissed off that the milk isn't coming out fast enough. Then sleeps for 2 hours, then nurses another half hour, then sleeps for two hours, then we're up for the day.

I loooooooove this baby but man, I am looking forward to the next stage...

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#43 of 56 Old 10-29-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
I'm sorry! I went straight for the elimination diet and it turned out to be caused by soy and eggs so we're all set now. I hope you find the cause or some treatment because that screaming is miserable
I need to do this too. Did you cut out lots of things and then gradually add them back to find the culprit? What all did you eliminate?

I'm thinking of eliminating nuts (since I started eating them in the past few weeks), dairy, soy and eggs. Oh and caffeine. What about wheat? Should I just start with these foods? How long did it take you to notice a difference?

#44 of 56 Old 10-29-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post

I loooooooove this baby but man, I am looking forward to the next stage...
Ditto!

#45 of 56 Old 10-29-2010, 03:45 PM

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#46 of 56 Old 10-29-2010, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm totally DDCC but I was wondering if anyone was trying the 5 S's techniques from The Happiest Baby On The Block. DH and I just rented it from Netflix to watch and the DVD makes it look like it works really well but I was wondering if anyone could replicate the results.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#47 of 56 Old 10-29-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
I'm totally DDCC but I was wondering if anyone was trying the 5 S's techniques from The Happiest Baby On The Block. DH and I just rented it from Netflix to watch and the DVD makes it look like it works really well but I was wondering if anyone could replicate the results.
Worked great for DD. My current baby doesn't like the swing but swaddling, shoooshing and jiggling work somewhat.

#48 of 56 Old 10-29-2010, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudentmommy View Post
I need to do this too. Did you cut out lots of things and then gradually add them back to find the culprit? What all did you eliminate?

I'm thinking of eliminating nuts (since I started eating them in the past few weeks), dairy, soy and eggs. Oh and caffeine. What about wheat? Should I just start with these foods? How long did it take you to notice a difference?

I did dairy, soy, eggs, and onions in our first round so we lucked out. I was fortunate to remember what I had eaten the week before the problem started and stuck to those foods for a couple days. Once we hit baseline for 4 days I started trialling foods back in. I highly recommend the yahoo group foodlab for better instructions and help, as well as the allergy forum here. It took me 9 months to sort out my son's food issues but it is so worth it.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#49 of 56 Old 10-29-2010, 06:32 PM

Thanks XM. I know I ate a ton of cheese, eggs, nuts and coffee with soymilk when the problem started so I'll start there. Thanks for the ideas!

#50 of 56 Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudentmommy View Post

Here is a great resource:
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html

I would start with dairy and soy (it's in EVERYTHING-- very hard to eliminate) first -- dairy is a common sensitivity, and a large portion of babies with sensitivity to dairy also have sensitivity to soy . But seriously, dairy is in deli meat, soy is in everything from the bread in my house to my prenatal vitamins. Supposedly, soybean oil and soy lecithin are okay, but I have a friend whose son is sensitive to those as well.

If that doesn't help, then move on to peanuts, legumes, and nuts.

To me, it makes more sense to start with the likely culprits before starting a very, very difficult elimination diet (just getting rid of soy and dairy is hard enough).

#51 of 56 Old 10-30-2010, 11:46 AM

Yeah, a total elimination diet was too overwhelming when I looked into! I decided to start with dairy since it's a likely culprit since I've been eating tons of it and it's a common allergen. I don't have a ton of soy but I do have a little soy milk in cereal and I take soy lethicin every day to help with plugged milk ducts. I also gave up coffee because I really suspect it was bugging my son and the half life is DAYS at this age. That can't be good for him at any rate.

And I eliminated nuts but not peanuts. But maybe I should just stick to the dairy to see if that's the culprit.

My DS is a LOT better today so I'm not sure if it's the Zantac working or eliminating dairy or both. Last night was really good and he's been fantastic today. He's a different baby!

#52 of 56 Old 10-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Awesome to hear the zantac may be working too! My LO clearly has painful spit up. DS1 had this too, and I never tried any medicine because I remember reading that it wasn't likely to make much difference, and just introduces medicine into their system somewhat prematurely. But, if it actually worked, I might be willing to try -- this little guy clearly has so much discomfort, and it wakes him up when he's about to fall asleep!

Anyway, glad your LO is doing better, whatever the reason!!

#53 of 56 Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Awesome to hear the zantac may be working too! My LO clearly has painful spit up. DS1 had this too, and I never tried any medicine because I remember reading that it wasn't likely to make much difference, and just introduces medicine into their system somewhat prematurely. But, if it actually worked, I might be willing to try -- this little guy clearly has so much discomfort, and it wakes him up when he's about to fall asleep!

Anyway, glad your LO is doing better, whatever the reason!!
I just read a great book called "colic resolved" that's all about acid reflux. It also talks about milk allergy. It confirmed for me that treating was the right option for us. It doesn't correct the problem but it controls the symptoms until babies get older. And it can prevent permanent damage (though apparently permanent damage is rare). Many, but not all, outgrow it. My own experience with severe heartburn leads me to believe that the right medication can make a world of difference.

#54 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 02:12 PM

So good to read this! DS has just started this screaming bit and I thought something was seriously wrong. Usually the evenings though sometimes when tired during the day. Yesterday did a really early bedtime but he woke up 45 minutes later to scream for an hour or so! ugh...it's wearing me out!
He just started this nonsense at 2 months....when is it supposed to pass?
He's also had a much harder time falling into naps. I haven't even tried putting him down bc it requires so much work to get him to sleep, I'm much too nervous about a wakeup!
This too shall pass...but when??

~Mama of a sweet baby boy 8/26/2010~

http://www.wildly-natural-skin-care.com
~Learn about naturally caring for your skin with the wild flair and passion of the green Earth~

#55 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 02:35 PM

Oh, I just searched for the witching hour..didn't realize this is a due date club!

~Mama of a sweet baby boy 8/26/2010~

http://www.wildly-natural-skin-care.com
~Learn about naturally caring for your skin with the wild flair and passion of the green Earth~

#56 of 56 Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 PM

Contentmama-you're welcome to join in in our due date club!

Any chance your LO has reflux? Since my little guy was diagnosed and started treatment, he hasn't screamed at all. In fact I was marveling today that he hardly ever cries any more. I think his reflux was really contributing to the crying.

I've also read that evening colic/fussiness peaks around 6 weeks and resolves around 3 months. So hang in there! Maybe you just have a few more weeks.

Oh, my little guy is a crappy napper too. I swear I spent all day trying to get him to nap. It can take an hour to get him to fall asleep only to have him sleep for 20-30 minutes. Soo frustrating.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page