"Evening Colic" Anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 10-06-2010, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the past week, Ozzy has wanted to scream for an hour every night. I've tried it all-- swaddling, bouncing on the birth ball, sling, swing, rocking in the chair, back-patting, white noise, nursing, singing and humming, different ways of holding him, etc, etc, etc.

*sigh*

One night rocking worked, one night a heartbeat-rhythm back-patting worked, last night doing a firm back rub while he was laying on his side next to me worked for about 30 minutes.

It's always right before bed.

The rest of the day, he's the easiest, most chilled out baby in the world. He never cries. Then, usually right around the time I'm putting Em down to bed (7-8 PM), he goes into this really alert time, then around 8-9 PM starts howling at me. Will NOT nurse-- acts like I'm trying to murder him with an axe when I put my boob near his mouth. Inconsolable. Then after about an hour, suddenly, abruptly quiets up, will usually nurse for a minute or two or suck on my pinkie finger, and then passes right out.

I've tried making sure he gets plenty of sleep during the day-- he napped GREAT yesterday and I was hoping that it would calm the crying, but nope, no difference.

I remember reading in the Dr Sears book that this type of thing is "evening colic" and not true colic.

Whatever you call it, it sucks.

Emma was the same way at this age, and the only thing that helped was that she turned three months old and then abruptly was all done with screaming at night.

So does this mean I have two more months of this? *sigh*

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#2 of 56 Old 10-06-2010, 10:11 AM

Oh the witching hour...btdt here too.
There is no magic fix, as you said its whatever works in that moment. It does end though.
Luckily here nursing will work most times (with all three), there is just screaming between nursing.

Mama to three sweet boys ('04, '07 and the new addition arrived on Sept 8, 2010)
#3 of 56 Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 AM

YES. We have it too. I thought at first that maybe he had some allergy, or who knows, but then I read the section on colic in the Baby Book. Tal has a fit from 4 - 6pm pretty much every day now, but during the day he is sweet and happy. It does suck, but I'm glad it seems to be a common thing and that it will pass.
Better than having true colic.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#4 of 56 Old 10-06-2010, 05:05 PM

dd was doing this for about a week, and now has given us a couple of days without it. Not sure which pattern is going to stick, but my best method of coping was just to give dd to dh after a while. He isn't as affected by her screaming as I am. I hold her and pat her, then dh holds her and pats her, and after he's had her for 20-30 minutes, he gives her back to me to see if it's nurse-to-sleep time yet.

And yeah...just like you said...only before going to sleep for the evening, and after a normal alert time has passed. It's like she's too exhausted to nurse, and too overwhelmed by the day to sleep?! Totally stressful, but thankfully she seems to get through it eventually.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#5 of 56 Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 PM

The Witching Hour... yup, happens to most babies. It's pretty awful! Lots and lots and lots of naps throughout the day help. Other than that, the only thing you can really do is whatever it takes: walking, bouncing, singing, putting baby in the swing, whatever. Try to cook dinner in the morning so you can just reheat it when needed

It usually phases out after 6 weeks.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#6 of 56 Old 10-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
It's like she's too exhausted to nurse, and too overwhelmed by the day to sleep?!
I think that's exactly it. My 3 year old acts the same way when he skips his nap - gets fussy and tantrum prone. But because we know why he's acting like that, it's easier. With a tiny baby that does nap plenty and cannot speak... it seems worse. But I think it's just the same overtired and cranky that happens to all kids. I think by our witching hour is a bored baby that is not yet ready for sleep.
Maybe they grow out of it as they get more body control, and thus can physically tire themselves out. Also, the more control they get, the easier it is to play with them, so less boredom.

#7 of 56 Old 10-06-2010, 09:07 PM

So, I just got my hotsling in the mail, and whooo... don't want to totally jinx myself, but perhaps we've avoided tonight's witching hour? kidlet passed right out.

I am going to aim for naps around now. I think I was making a huge mistake, fearing that nap now meant less sleep for me - I wanted him to go down when I do. But hopefully he will still have a good night sleep ahead. Fingers crossed!

#8 of 56 Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 PM

I hope that works for you!

I've had the opposite luck in the past couple of days. I can now get dd to sleep through the witching hour, but in the past two nights she's been doing more nighttime waking (which, seriously, since birth she has NEVER done before). Last night she was awake for almost two hours in the middle of the night, doing a smaller version of the witching hour behavior.

That can't happen! We need our other kids to sleep, and we're in an old house with all the bedrooms crammed together upstairs...if ONE kids is crying, we ALL wake up.

She gets plenty of naps and deep sleep through the day...I'm going to try waking her up soon, seeing if she'll get a little alert period in, then nurse her back down.

#9 of 56 Old 10-06-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
The Witching Hour... yup, happens to most babies. It's pretty awful! Lots and lots and lots of naps throughout the day help. Other than that, the only thing you can really do is whatever it takes: walking, bouncing, singing, putting baby in the swing, whatever. Try to cook dinner in the morning so you can just reheat it when needed

DS is 6 weeks now and recently started screaming around 8 each night. BUT if he has a long afternoon nap, he is fine at night. So afternoon I MUST MUST MUST be home for the nap

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#10 of 56 Old 10-07-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
I'm laughing b/c the only alternative is crying...

E's 6 weeks tomorrow--I will make sacrifices to the baby gods if it does pass after 6 weeks, b/c she goes ballistic from about 8:30-9:30 every night. Usually DH wears her in the pikkolo, and she'll actually stand up in it while screaming. She sometimes pounds her tiny fists against him as well, which would be funny if the whole experience wasn't so upsetting.

We live in an apartment building, so our neighbors are really loving us right now...

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#11 of 56 Old 10-07-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
That can't happen! We need our other kids to sleep, and we're in an old house with all the bedrooms crammed together upstairs...if ONE kids is crying, we ALL wake up.
I've bounced more than one baby outside for hours in the middle of the night for that very reason. The older ones HAVE to sleep. Whew...sorry neighbors. It's every man for himself.
MamaCallie likes this.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#12 of 56 Old 10-07-2010, 05:48 PM

She didn't have her witching hour last night, but was awake and fussy for two hours in the middle of the night. Again.

Honestly, I prefer the witching hour. By far.

#13 of 56 Old 10-07-2010, 06:03 PM

Yeah, we traded the witching hour for pretty much constant fuss at night yesterday. Not fun. But hopefully, it was him being sick. He was grunty and crabby, was spitting up a lot, and just now had diarrhea which I assume was my bug working its way out of him. Now he's passed out, so I am going to nap too.
I hope tonight is more peaceful.

#14 of 56 Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 PM

It wouldn't be "evening colic" if its 11-4am right? <sigh> Our new drama is reflux. 3 hours of sleep and a non-napping toddler does not leave for a happy mama.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#15 of 56 Old 10-07-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
It wouldn't be "evening colic" if its 11-4am right? <sigh> Our new drama is reflux. 3 hours of sleep and a non-napping toddler does not leave for a happy mama.
Oh no, I'm so sorry Do you have a swing? Even though it's bad for their back, it can really help babies with reflux to sleep sitting upright, either in a swing or in a bucket seat.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#16 of 56 Old 10-16-2010, 11:22 PM

In the Np Cry Sleep Solution she says that babies NEED to go to sleep early. Between 6 and 7. And that people who experience the crying fit later in the eve/night are experiencing it because baby is up too late. I read this when ds1 was doing this and putting him to sleep by 7 solved the problem. However, it also made him wake earlier.

Now that I have 4 other children that need to go to sleep I haven't started putting lo down early, I just deal with it, but I've got to get on board soon...

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#17 of 56 Old 10-16-2010, 11:28 PM

the only thing that helped my dd2 was to put her to bed (my bed, we co-slept) by 7pm, before the witching hour started. it worked like a charm!!! God help us if we were out of the house around then... wow... but yes, she got up a few more times through the night, and got up a little earlier, but she (and so us) were much happier people!!! good luck!!!

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#18 of 56 Old 10-17-2010, 08:11 AM

is it 'evening colic' if it's from 5-10/11? NOTHING works during this time but constant nursing which with yeast, poor latch and inability maintain latch while sleeping.... yeah, I introduced a paci.

I'm getting a carrier today in hopes it will help because my older kiddos go to bed around 6:30 andd poor DH has been having to get up and do bedtime (he works graveyard so he's asleep at that hour).

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#19 of 56 Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattygirl99 View Post
is it 'evening colic' if it's from 5-10/11? NOTHING works during this time but constant nursing which with yeast, poor latch and inability maintain latch while sleeping.... yeah, I introduced a paci.

I'm getting a carrier today in hopes it will help because my older kiddos go to bed around 6:30 andd poor DH has been having to get up and do bedtime (he works graveyard so he's asleep at that hour).
I wouldn't call that evening colic, I'd just call that straight-up Colic.

Sorry you're dealing with this

This past week Ozzy has been much better.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#20 of 56 Old 10-17-2010, 01:18 PM

We are right there too, and I think it got better at 6 weeks with my first two. I just keep telling myself this too shall pass and since it is our last baby try not to sweat it too much.
However, last night was particularly awful since my dh went out with our oldest and I just couldn't find anything that helped for over an hour and my 2 year-old fell asleep on his own during the whole thing. Made me feel so sad.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
#21 of 56 Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 PM

I've tried getting my guy down for the night at 6:30 or 7:00 but he won't sleep by himself. He'll doze off and on if I'm wearing him (in between he wakes up screaming). I've been trying to get him to take lots of naps in the day but this week he stopped napping on his own and will only nap while being worn. I guess he realized, "Hey, why sleep all by myself when all I have to do is cry, and I get to nap snuggled up next to mommy all day."

But he's still been sleeping great at night so I can't complain. It's just hard because DH works nights and it's hard to get dinner and bath and bedtime for my 3 year old when the baby is crying so loudly.

When DD was this age we'd go to sleep for the night at 6:30 but now that I have two kids and a DH who works at night, it's not an option.

Evenings are seriously killing me...

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#22 of 56 Old 10-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudentmommy View Post
I've tried getting my guy down for the night at 6:30 or 7:00 but he won't sleep by himself. He'll doze off and on if I'm wearing him (in between he wakes up screaming). I've been trying to get him to take lots of naps in the day but this week he stopped napping on his own and will only nap while being worn. I guess he realized, "Hey, why sleep all by myself when all I have to do is cry, and I get to nap snuggled up next to mommy all day."

But he's still been sleeping great at night so I can't complain. It's just hard because DH works nights and it's hard to get dinner and bath and bedtime for my 3 year old when the baby is crying so loudly.

When DD was this age we'd go to sleep for the night at 6:30 but now that I have two kids and a DH who works at night, it's not an option.

Evenings are seriously killing me...
OMG, I don't know how you do it! DH tried to get out for a dinner with his colleagues one night, and he never made it out because it was so impossible to put down my 34 month old with a crying baby!! Huge hugs to you for this impossible task!!

Our LO has become more and more of an evening screamer. However, he's with DH while I put down DS1 for the night, and I can hear him screaming. Then, I come down, and he calms. Not instantly, and not completely, but it's like a whole different level. After all that we went through when DS1 was a high needs baby, I just have a level of calm now through the crying that I didn't have last time, and I think this baby senses that. DH on the other hand is becoming desperate. Last night, he practically threw LO to me when I came down he was so frustrated. I think we're going to try switching tonight, so I put down baby while DH puts down DS1...

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#23 of 56 Old 10-21-2010, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the validation Porcelina. It's nice to know I'm not just a complete wimp about parenting at night by myself.

My little guy has been getting increasingly more fussy. Last night he slept in the sling for 4 hours from 7:30-11:30 and then in bed for 2 1/2 but then he was up for 2 hours and kept crying and screaming. And he's fussier during the day.

I had two cups of coffee yesterday. Normally I only have one. I was thinking of giving it up (though I'm loathe to do that because it's the highlight of my day). But maybe the baby is sensitive to caffeine.

I too am doing better with the crying than I did with DD but it still bothers me.

My child sleep book said fussiness peaks at 5-6 weaks and Kellan is 5 weeks today so hopefully this is temporary. Even the the magic boobies wouldn't soothe him!

But after a hard night and no coffee, boy am I cranky today!

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#24 of 56 Old 10-21-2010, 01:18 PM

We go through the witching hour every night at 9:00-10:30. I read that putting her to bed earlier might fix it. I tried last night putting her to bed at 8:00 and we skipped the evening colic completely. I was excited and I was telling a friend and she asked "What are you going to do when daylight savings time hits?" ... Now I'm back to square one.
I can keep putting her to bed at 8 but 8 will be 9 in two weeks. Today I am trying to adjust her whole day an hour later and see if it works. Dad gets up at 5 and I usually feed her then. I get her up again at 8:00 for the day. This morning I woke her up for the day at 9:00 (ok she woke me up at 8:57). Maybe I can trick her into thinking I'm putting her to bed at 8:00 today by shifting the whole day forward an hour. And I secretly loved the extra hour of sleep. In two weeks when the time changes we will have already changed. I'll just have to hope she sleeps until 5 (6 daylight savings time) when DH gets up.

Married to a wonderful man and we have 1 adorable baby girl (8/30/2010) and 2 furbabies.
#25 of 56 Old 10-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Idk if it's colic or what, but she nurses nonstop from about 7-11 and is ver very unhappy if there isn't a boob in her mouth the entire time. She kicks her legs and acts frstrated and hungry, but even a couple ounces of pumped milk doesn't calm her down. it's hard because I can never eat dinner like a normal person. we're supposed to go over my mom's fri nite so people can finally see the baby and I'm sure I'm just going to end up holed away nursing Fussy McCriesalot the majority of the night.

she also never, ever sleeps without being held.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#26 of 56 Old 10-21-2010, 01:59 PM

also, I might be the biggest idiot in the world, but what do you guys mean by "put them to bed earlier" in this age group? I know how to do it with an older kid but for my babies they've just slept when and where they wanted to pretty much regardless of what I do.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#27 of 56 Old 10-21-2010, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think the actual numerical time matters at all... the baby can't read the clock

I think the big thing is just to make sure they aren't awake for super-long stretches. If Ozzy has been awake for two hours, I will actively try to get him to sleep.

#28 of 56 Old 10-21-2010, 10:39 PM

just the thread i wanted to see. i'm glad to hear all the ideas and moms in the same boat.
#29 of 56 Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 PM

...subscribing to this thread!
#30 of 56 Old 10-22-2010, 09:19 AM

Yesterday DS2 was "colicky" and it's because he did not nap well. He had one glorious morning nap, and then was fitful for the rest of the day (pretty much because I had DS1 as well and thus was rushing getting my sleeping baby off me). Here's hoping today is better!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page